Suit filed against new owners?

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
underthegarden
Amityville Addict

Re: Suit filed against new owners?

Post by underthegarden » Thu May 12, 2016 6:25 am

Oops, meant to say I had a renewed interest in the Amityville house story, not store. Though if there was an Amityville house store, I might have to check out the offerings (half moon window wall decals? Washable wall ooze? Small cans of red paint?). I digress.

What interests me is that the house is supposedly vacant now (not confirmed, though). If that is the case, I am curious regarding why? Is it still the subject of legal battle, and why?

There are just so many stories and mysteries linked to this property. Some fact, others fiction, some a little of both. What intrigues me is that the house continues to be a source of head scratching. It (the house) has a way of getting into your head/psyche, and once in, it is a bit hard to forget. Decades later I am still intrigued. Perhaps if I were to actually walk through the house (impossible, I know), it would be less mysterious. Just like meeting a celebrity - once you see a celeb in the flesh (with all their heavy makeup, hair gel and assistants), they become more real.

Wish I had found this site sooner.
sherbetbizarre wrote:Hey, welcome! Yes, we were discussing this a year ago, so I've added your post here.

We're still not sure exactly what happened though...

underthegarden
Amityville Addict

Post by underthegarden » Thu May 12, 2016 2:40 pm

Also, Sanford Dow (the attorney who represents 112 Ocean Associates LLC in a case against the D'Antonios) is also the attorney in a lawsuit involving the Lorraine and The Conjuring 2. Does this get any weirder? See https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 1060918462 and http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-es ... uit-692244 (legal complaint posted on this site, if you are interested).

In the case involving the Conjuring sequel(s), Sanford Dow represents Tony DeRosa-Grund. Yes, DeRosa Grund of this fame: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/p ... res-360417

So, basically it is sort of coming together. 112 Ocean Associates LLC might be Tony DeRosa Grund/Evergreen and he might be trying to compel some rights to the Amityville property for use in a film. Hard to say. Just a theory. Much weirdness.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu May 12, 2016 5:51 pm

Cheers! Looks like they tried to buy the house for filming purposes, the D'Antonio agreed, then changed their minds?

underthegarden
Amityville Addict

Post by underthegarden » Thu May 12, 2016 9:00 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:Cheers! Looks like they tried to buy the house for filming purposes, the D'Antonio agreed, then changed their minds?
Yes. Maybe. I think.

It is hard to prove because 112 Ocean Associates doesn't seem to exist, nor does the lawsuit. Without any documentation, it is hard to prove.

However, if it is true that the house is now vacant and it is true that there are weird noises coming from the house (screams, kid sounds etc.) it isn't totally out of the realm of possibility that they are filming something there. Ghosts aren't loud. Film crews are loud.

underthegarden
Amityville Addict

Post by underthegarden » Tue May 17, 2016 2:16 pm

So I guess I'm officially obsessed re: status of this property. Not that I want to buy it...I just want someone else to buy it, someone with some interest in the paranormal but who won't exploit the property any further. Someone who can post house stories here. I mean, a girl can dream?

I entered the property parcel # (as noted on Zillow page for property) and was taken to the Realtytrac website, which notes that this property is in "pre-foreclosure." http://www.realtytrac.com/propertydetai ... e/54849108 (photo on site is just a filler, you have to pay $$$ to get full details).

Lis pendens issued 8/2014 for lack of mortgage payments. Not sure if that's entirely correct.

I searched the Suffolk County database here: https://kiosk.suffolkcountyny.gov/kiosk ... tails.aspx

The case number is 14-16027. There was a lis pendens notice issued by 112 OCEAN AVENUE ASSOCIATES INC,DEROSA-GRUND, TONY to D'ANTONIO, DAVID F.
Unfortunately, text of the notice and exhibits is not online. Guess someone would have to go to Suffolk County to obtain. Might be an interesting field trip for anyone in the area!

Anarane
Amityville Member

Post by Anarane » Fri May 20, 2016 1:56 pm

This is certainly interesting given the news in another thread that intimates the current owners moved out when the husband became ill - it all seems to slot into place. The missed mortgages payments, if true, may have happened around the time he first became sick... :(

Keep up the detective work, UtG!

kathyM
Princess

Post by kathyM » Sat May 21, 2016 12:04 pm

Very interesting!

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Tue May 24, 2016 4:12 am

Could be that the mortgage payments being behind had something to do with the costs of healthcare? If so that's a real shame.
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

underthegarden
Amityville Addict

Post by underthegarden » Wed May 25, 2016 2:04 pm

Rokiisun wrote:Could be that the mortgage payments being behind had something to do with the costs of healthcare? If so that's a real shame.
Perhaps. But it seems like they were planning a move before Mr. D'Antonio's health slid downhill (at least in the words of Caroline).

Home health care is super expensive, though, and not much is covered by insurance/Medicare/Medicaid. Certainly doesn't make a lot of financial sense to stay in a big multi-level house when you no longer require that much space. My parents are both over 75 and there's no way either of them could handle lots of stairs and keeping up such a large property. They live in a single level home - no basement, no stairs, attached garage. It's strange that the D'Antonios moved into such a big space when they were both retired, but maybe they had visions of entertaining guests or having family stay. Maybe they both just had a historical interest in the property (both were/are involved with the Amityville Historical Society).

At least they were able to live there for a few years. Wondering if anyone is taking care of the house now?

Amityville Rock
Amityville Addict

Post by Amityville Rock » Wed May 25, 2016 4:22 pm

I do wonder if anyone has truly been happy there since the Defeo Massacre? It seems every family since has had serious issues of one type of another: Cromarties' son died, O'Neils moved out because of high taxes, by all reports the Wilsons had a rocky relationship and now this.
Special Guest Star

est. 1999

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Wed May 25, 2016 4:50 pm

You never know if it may be high maintenance with it being an older house too? The house I live in was apparently built in the sixties and not only is it falling apart but it's also not built to accommodate things such as laminate flooring, showers and heating that requires radiators instead of the old underfloor/wall heating. I would imagine that a house built in the 1920s would have simular issues from time to time and need a bit of building work to keep it modern and which would also eat into your money alongside paying high taxes to live in the area.
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.