The JOHN G JONES thread

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

The JOHN G JONES thread

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:16 pm

John G Jones is back...
“Christmas in Amityville,” Exclusively on Kindle, Looks at the Legendary Amityville Horror from a Whole New (and Terrifying) Angle

“Christmas in Amityville,” a new story about the haunting, contains original, previously unpublished material. It is being published as an e-book only in an exclusive arrangement with Amazon.com, and will be offered free of charge in a special promotion, December 17-20. Its release is the first in an ongoing salvo of new products and materials heralding the return of “The Amityville Horror” and the launch of AmityvilleNow.com, a new curated web site on “horror, suspense, and the supernatural – real and imagined,” premiering Monday, December 16. More about the novella and a sample of its first chapter is available here.

Millions of believers in “true horror” know the story of George and Kathy Lutz, who moved into their new, unassuming Dutch Colonial home in Amityville, New York early one December … only to flee in terror a month later. The story of the haunting that nearly destroyed them – the plagues of flies, the black ichor filling sinks, commodes, and even bleeding from the walls, the phantom voices and the inexorable transformation of George Lutz from loving father to a dangerously violent madman – captivated the country and the world in the early 1980’s. It spawned a blockbuster film, a more recent remake, an untold number of inferior spin-offs … and a series of books by John G. Jones, who was authorized by the Lutzes themselves to tell the continuing story of what happened to them after they fled from their home in Amityville, never to return.

Now, after a decades-long hiatus, John G. Jones returns to Amityville to relate the previously untold tale of two handymen who are called to 112 Ocean Avenue to fix a broken boathouse door on Christmas Eve 1975 – even as the horrors inside the house are reaching their nightmarish zenith. What happens to them, and how it changes their lives forever, makes for a fascinating and frightening read.

”Christmas in Amityville” is the first release in a series of new material and re-releases that promise to make 2014 “The Year of the Amityville Horror,” including a TV series and a feature film. January will see the release of “Amityville Now: The Jones Journal,” encompassing new material about Jones’ own struggles with the supernatural since he first began covering The Amityville Horror more than 30 years ago. Soon after, “The Amityville Horror: The Sequel” will once again tell exactly what happened to George and Kathy Lutz and their children after their narrow escape from 112 Ocean Avenue, when the evil that was released there followed them across the country and around the world, plaguing them and anyone who came into contact with them for months and years to come. Wombaroo Books, the publisher of the new and repackaged “Amityville Horror” titles, will be releasing other book-length tales of horror, suspense, and the supernatural – real and imagined – throughout the year, including “The Amityville Big Book of Real Horror,” Brad Munson’s 'supernatural disaster novel with monsters,' "Rain," and John Jones’ newly revised novel of transcendence and terror, "The Supernatural."

AmityvilleNow.com will feature news, commentaries and original content about "Real Horror," focusing on horror, suspense, and the supernatural in fact and fiction. It will be supported by iterations on Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr, and other social media, as well as an active YouTube channel that will feature new content three days or more each week.
http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/1639434

What is Amityville Now, anyway?

Amityville Now is a BIG idea: it’s a web site, a ton of social media, has a unique connection to an e-book, print book and audio book publisher, a supplier of posters and t-shirts and all sorts of arcane artifacts, grouped around one central idea: Real Horror.

It’s the brain-child of Australian-born musician, screenwriter, and worldwide bestselling author, John G. Jones, who’s been at the center of the Amityville legend and the hidden world of horror, hauntings, and possession – real and imagines – for more than thirty years. And now, finally, it’s all coming together.

More years ago than he cares to remember, John met George and Kathy Lutz, the husband and wife at the center of the infamous events in Amityville, Long Island that came to be known as The Amityville Horror.

That first book, published in 1977, was a worldwide bestseller. It spawned a blockbuster movie starring James Brolin and Margot Kidder that made millions and millions of dollars. And soon, the world “Amityville” became synonymous with ‘modern horror’ – the things that could actually happen, here in our world … and could be happening right next door, right now.

Soon after, with both the blessing and agreements signed with the Lutzes, John wrote Amityville Horror II. It reached the New York Times Top Ten List just days after its release, and went on to become a worldwide hit. The first of four equally successful books in the series.

But that was only part of the story…

While immersed in research for his books, John himself became entangled in the events surrounding Amityville: the terror, the supernatural attacks, and the haunting dreams. In his search for truth, he was even exorcised by the British Reverend who exorcised the Lutzes.

For years John kept this, and numerous other facts, to himself…he went underground But now, after all these years and all these events, John has decided to documents his experiences in a new book: Amityville Now: The Jones Journals, soon to be available in print, as an e-book, and as an audio book. And a graphic novel and even a video game or two are in the works.

And then there’s the web site. John’s original idea for AmityvilleNow.com was to use it primarily as a vehicle to launch his latest books – and the ones that will come after – through a tie-in with book publisher, Wombaroo Books. But as the website grew, so did the ideas for its format. Now he’s joined up with his long-time friend and colleague Brad Munson and a wide range of other writers, artists, designers and creators, to make AmityvilleNow.com something much bigger.

Now, AmityvilleNow.com has become a doorway to the real world of horror, suspense and the supernatural, with a touch of science fiction added for good measure. I mean, how can we resist? We won’t try to cover everything happening in horror these days – that’s way too much, and others are already doing a good job there. But we will cover the best of what’s out there in every medium – movies, TV shows, books, comics, audio, the web, all of it…if it’s worth it, and if it’s about the real world of horror…just like Amityville itself.

And you think that’s all of it? Come on…we’re just getting started.

Some years ago, John and his partner Robert Dean Lewis formed their production company, Vicarious Enterprises, to acquire and produce both feature film and TV projects. Working with a number of top-of-the line companies like Flash Film Works, one of Hollywood’s better known special effects houses, Vicarious now boasts sole representation for a current slate of major TV and film projects.

The current projects for Vicarious, now in pre-production, include Amityville Horror: The Sequel based on John’s previous book, Amityville Horror: The Return. That’s soon to be filmed as a major motion picture. And then there’s the TV series that’s already in the works: Amityville Now: The Jones Journals, based on John’s latest book. As both the major motion picture and the TV series enter production, visitors to the AmityvilleNow.com website will gain a first-hand look at the process of bringing these projects to theaters and TV sets, including exclusive stills and footage of the casting, pre-production and on set shooting of the shows.

But our website here at AmityvilleNow.com will not only bring you the latest updates on the Amityville projects. Here at AmityvilleNow.com you’ll find the latest news, interviews, commentaries and videos with authors, actors, filmmakers, special effects experts – you name it – as well as prizes, giveaways, and much, much more.
http://amityvillenow.com/

kudzu
Amityville Addict

Re: AMITYVILLE NOW

Post by kudzu » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:08 am

Wow.

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:16 am

Is the story about the two handymen real? Or meerly a work of fiction?
If it is the latter it makes for a good story premise but only if the
'Amityville' title is knocked from it. If it is indeed a true account I am intrigued.
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

antny000
Amityville Addict

Post by antny000 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:24 am

I don't think I'll be checking out the book unless it becomes available on line or something, being that I don't have kindle... but, the other stuff sounds interesting!
Gonna go make me some Sugar Cookie Stew! Yum yum!

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:32 pm

Rokiisun wrote:Is the story about the two handymen real? Or meerly a work of fiction?
Who can tell with John G Jones!

antny000
Amityville Addict

Post by antny000 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:59 pm

I'll say this - I think it's extremely random that he popped out of the woodwork after all of these years... very strange.

I wonder what sparked his interest in Amityville again...

Miz Kizzle
Amityville Addict

Post by Miz Kizzle » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:53 am

I see a series here. Arbor Day in Amityville! Groundhog Day in Amityville! The possibilities are endless.
And of course the story of the hapless handymen is true. Who would lie about something like that? I have one of their hammers (totally haunted) for sale for $1,000 if anybody's interested.

kathyM
Princess

Post by kathyM » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:06 am

:lol: :) 8-)

Victoria Principles
Amityville Maniac

Post by Victoria Principles » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:08 am

Remember when Spudsy and a few others thought that John G. Jones was a pen name for George Lutz. There goes that theory.

antny000
Amityville Addict

Post by antny000 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:57 am

I remember that... we were all wondering what happened to John G. Jones... well I guess we have our answer (months later)!

tpiasta
Amityville Member

Post by tpiasta » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:25 am

I always thought of John G Jones as being a pseudonym for a group of people who ghost wrote all those books. Pretty cool to see some nee stuff coming out. Let's see how much of it comes to fruition.

tpiasta
Amityville Member

Post by tpiasta » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:53 am

Anyone been to the Amityville Now website yet?

Victoria Principles
Amityville Maniac

Post by Victoria Principles » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:50 am

Jones describes "Christmas in Amityville" as a novella, which means it's fiction.

tpiasta
Amityville Member

Post by tpiasta » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:52 pm

So it's no different from his other books?

antny000
Amityville Addict

Post by antny000 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:54 pm

I'm more interested in any movies or other media involved to be honest... I own almost all of the books and I've only fully read the first one and a few stories from "The Evil Escapes", which I remember enjoying, actually.

But the movie/tv series thing sparks my interest most... we'll see if they ever happen, though. I'm still waitong on "Legacy 3D" and I don't see that ever happening. =(

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:55 am

"Australian-born"?

This fact makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside ....
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

kudzu
Amityville Addict

Post by kudzu » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:34 am

One of the books listed on the AmityvilleNow site is called The Obsession, and reading the synopsis it sounds a lot like one of the short stories in Amityville: The Evil Escapes, also by Jones. Just an observation.

:breakdance:

I won't lie though. The notion of a half dozen books, a tv show and a movie coming out next year is exciting, but considering all the other higher-profile projects that have not been able to get off the ground in the past I have to wonder just how realistic this all is. The books are a given...self publishing is easy. But that TV show I have doubts about. I hope it happens though!

antny000
Amityville Addict

Post by antny000 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:54 am

Same here, it seems a lot of the projects we find out about end up never happening, so I'm keeping my hopes low until I see some kind of update or progress.

But a TV show and new movie would be awesome for sure, as long as they did it right.

Jacob Sterling
Don't lie to me, you bastard fornicator.

Post by Jacob Sterling » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:31 pm

Wow, a new Amityville book? I actually just logged in to comment on this-- I'm glad to see people are still interested in it!
Sometimes I drink more than I need to, until the TV's dead and gone. I may be lonely-- but I'm never alone, and the night may pass me by, but I never cry.
~ Alice Cooper

Fr Dennis Kibbler
That evil is searching for souls

Post by Fr Dennis Kibbler » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:04 pm

To be totally honest with you, I don't think I've ever read through an entire Jones book. I guess I never really cared for his style and the subject seems to be totally unbelievable. I mean, a house that actually morphs into the Amityville house. Looks neat on film (Amityville 1992) but its hard for me to wrap my head around while reading it.
"You told me the house was saved now."

kudzu
Amityville Addict

Post by kudzu » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:13 am

I enjoy them for their cheesiness. These books have sort of become the literary equivalent of SyFy Channel movies, completely unbelievable and ridiculous but still fun enough to entertain. It does amaze me a little that they still stick the words "true story" on these things. One of the books advertised on the site is described as the "first authorized sequel" to Anson's book. What was TAH Part 2 then? Jones wrote that one as well and he is insinuating that George and Kathy didn't authorize it. It was supposedly a "true story" as well, so which one is the "truth"?

This makes me wonder who is in control of the rights to the Lutz's story and The Amityville Horror trademark now that George and Kathy have passed. I need to dig through old forum posts I think, cuz I'm sure this was discussed when George passed away.

That being said, I am excited for what appears to be a fun year for us TAH fans. :dance: