House for sell 2016

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics

House for sell 2016

Postby sherbetbizarre » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:35 am

‘Amityville Horror’ house back on the market for $850,000

The waterfront home that inspired “The Amityville Horror” book, films and a Long Island cultural phenomenon has come back on the market.

Owner Caroline D’Antonio has listed the 5,000-square-foot, five-bedroom, 3 1⁄2-bathroom 1927 Dutch Colonial for $850,000 with Jerry O’Neill of Coldwell Banker Harbor Light.

D’Antonio and her husband, David, who died last year, purchased the gray house with black shutters in 2010 for $950,000. The property, which is on the Amityville River leading to the Great South Bay, had been placed on the market earlier that year for $1.15 million.

The 50-by-237-foot property at 108 Ocean Ave. is on a canal and comes with a boathouse and boat slip, which figured prominently in the book and 1979 film and still draw curiosity seekers, especially around Halloween. No-trespassing signs are staked in the ground both on the sides of the house facing Ocean Avenue — and in back facing the water, where even boaters stop to take photos.

In 1974, a then-23-year-old Ronald DeFeo Jr. killed his parents, two younger brothers and two younger sisters at the house, shooting them with a rifle as they slept. (DeFeo is now serving 25 years to life at the Green Haven Correctional Facility in upstate Dutchess County.) The Lutz family moved into the house a year later. They left the house in 1976, later providing audiotapes to author Jay Anson describing paranormal experiences that became the basis for the book “The Amityville Horror: A True Story.”

The D’Antonios “enjoyed the house,” O’Neill said, although their time there was not necessarily quiet. “Tourists came and took pictures on the sidewalk, selfies, that kind of stuff,” he said.

The couple made improvements such as redoing the kitchen and bathrooms, updating mechanical systems and finishing the basement, said O’Neill, whose brother once owned the house. “It is priced to sell,” he said. “It’s a good value, a lot of features for that kind of money.”

In an exclusive media tour inside the house on Friday afternoon — which revealed elegant period details such as oak floors, leaded glass, built-in shelves and cupboards and a heated sunroom overlooking the water with 11 double-hung windows — agents and their buyers seemed to agree.

“It’s lovely, beautiful,” said Amityville native Chris Geiger, 40, an accountant who visited the house with his wife, Kerri, who said, “It could turn into a bidding war. It’s a great price.” They said they are unfazed by the home’s history, and later returned to measure closets.

The house is “on a high elevation” and was therefore “high and dry” during superstorm Sandy, he added.

David D’Antonio, a teacher, died in 2015, according to obituaries. Caroline D’Antonio has since purchased a condominium, and family friends are living in the house, said O’Neill. “Obviously she doesn’t need a house that size,” he said.

“I don’t know what to expect,” O’Neill said of placing the house Friday on the open market. “The one thing we are doing is we are controlling the showing activity to the extent that we can only have serious, qualified buyers make appointments.”

Agents who went to a broker’s open house Friday showed their real estate licenses at the door. Before being able to tour the house, they will be required to fill out an application and provide a potential buyer’s bank prequalification and “proof of funds.”

“We want to keep the tourists away — the people who are not serious and just want to get inside the house,” said O’Neill.

There is a two-car garage on the property, and the total annual property taxes are $27,927, according to the Multiple Listing Service of Long Island website.

http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/real ... 1.11872383

The home from ‘Amityville Horror’ is on the market for $850,000

The house that sparked “The Amityville Horror” book and multiple movies on the murders that took place there is back on the market.

Currently listed for $850,000, the five-bedroom, three-bathroom Long Island home at 108 Ocean Ave. is up for sale through Coldwell Banker Harbor Light owner and broker Jerry O’Neil.

“I’m very familiar with the house,” he told the Daily News. “A friend of mine from high school, his family owned it. I spent a lot of time in this house as a kid. It’s a beautiful home.”

The broker added that he does not know what to expect regarding how long it will take to sell the home, which was built in 1927.

“Real estate is a very fickle product,” he said. “Sometimes you’re disappointed, sometimes you’re pleasantly surprised.”

O’Neil, whose brother also owned the home on the Amityville River at one point after the murders, had no reservations about accepting the listing and is taking extra steps to make sure only serious buyers get to step foot in the house and take a tour.

“Buyers are going to see this only through brokers,” he said.

The application, which O’Neill’s office will have to approve three to five days before the desired date of the viewing, states that anyone interested in seeing the listing must be financially pre-qualified and have proof of “funds.”

Last year’s property taxes for the home were $20,856

Slaying of family in spooky Long Island house inspired 'The Amityville Horror'
Caroline D’Antonio, who bought the house in 2010 for $950,000 though at one point it was listed for more than $1 million, is selling it because her husband died last year and she wants to downsize.

She has already purchased a condo on a different part of Long Island.

The official listing for 108 Ocean Ave. simply describes the home as a “Stately center hall colonial on Amityville River,” adding that the house deed includes a “large” boat house, two car garage and a boat slip.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/hom ... -1.2660118

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Re: House for sell 2016

Postby Evanguy Reincarnated » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:54 am

Interesting article
Last edited by Evanguy Reincarnated on Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Like a child left to roam, you found me, your arms were my home
Evanguy Reincarnated
Curiouser and curiouser

Postby Ridewithme38 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:05 am

No for sale sign up. It'll be interesting what kind of people they let look at the house
Ridewithme38
Amityville Member

Postby jimmysmokes » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:29 am

i'm sure our resident stalker Victoria is already planning to try and get in.
FIRE THAT THING UP!
jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict

Postby kathyM » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:39 am

Can't wait to see who buys it. Maybe a family with kids this time.
kathyM
Princess

Postby Chichibcc » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:06 pm

Actions speak louder than words....
Chichibcc
Cat Avatar Lover

Postby jimmysmokes » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:16 pm

and the hypocrisy of what "one" infamous past resident puts on his current page. he (at an earlier time) was complaining about the recurring Amityville pics being made but then promotes the listing of his old house being put up on the market, only to continue what he "wants" to die?

this all courtesy of the party that informed me of this today!
FIRE THAT THING UP!
jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict

Postby sherbetbizarre » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:08 am

Christopher likes to be active when there's a new movie in the pipeline.

If they'd stop making them, he'd be quiet! ;)
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby Brendan72 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:49 am

I understand prospective buyers are vetted before even allowed a viewing? I can understand that given the house's history of nuisance trespassers.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)
Brendan72
Forest Giant

Postby Anarane » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:54 am

Ah, man, no internal pictures?! :(

The realtor says: “I’m very familiar with the house. A friend of mine from high school, his family owned it. I spent a lot of time in this house as a kid. It’s a beautiful home.” I wonder how/when?

Edit: Duh, if only I'd read on! His brother, O'Neill, owned the house after the murders, which is why he "had no reservations about accepting the listing and is taking extra steps to make sure only serious buyers get to step foot in the house and take a tour."
Anarane
Amityville Member

Postby sherbetbizarre » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:38 am

Yeah, and he must have stayed there with the Cromarties before that.
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby jimmysmokes » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:38 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:Christopher likes to be active when there's a new movie in the pipeline.

gotta disagree with you on that one. plus he put up the listing of the house and told potential buyers to "beware"!

beware of what? the only thing scary about that house is the property taxes. even the ghosts would be afraid to live there.
FIRE THAT THING UP!
jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict

Postby shuggins » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:08 pm

jimmysmokes wrote:
sherbetbizarre wrote:Christopher likes to be active when there's a new movie in the pipeline.

gotta disagree with you on that one. plus he put up the listing of the house and told potential buyers to "beware"!

beware of what? the only thing scary about that house is the property taxes. even the ghosts would be afraid to live there.

Wow, you actually can be neutral, logical, and non-negative! I'm shocked!
shuggins
Amityville Addict

Postby Julabard » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:01 am

let's hope they buyer is interested in making a few bucks on the side and is willing to do Halloween tours around the house or something!
Okay, I see you there! There's a 12 gauge shotgun, waitin' for anybody trespassin'!
Julabard
how strange...

Postby Brendan72 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:13 am

Julabard wrote:let's hope they buyer is interested in making a few bucks on the side and is willing to do Halloween tours around the house or something!

Nice idea in theory however it would be recipe for total disaster. You would basically have people lining up on the street waiting to get in for a 'tour', all the while peace and quiet on the street is being disrupted. Not to mention for those reasons the official Amityville town position would be to deny it on those grounds. The Amityville PD would also have their resources tied up maintaining law and order.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)
Brendan72
Forest Giant

Postby Victoria Principles » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:12 am

Wow, they are taking a lost on that real estate transaction.
Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Postby Victoria Principles » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:18 am

jimmysmokes wrote:i'm sure our resident stalker Victoria is already planning to try and get in.

I already did. Seen the inside in 2010.
Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Postby BooshaGirl » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:36 am

I already did. Seen the inside in 2010.[/quote]

^^Victoria, I am SO envious. I *begged* 2 of my friends on Long Island to go inside for me and get something from the inside of the house. I found out about it too late (I was at work on a Saturday at my old job). Had I known this was going to happen, I'd have bought a plane ticket and met you there. Neither of my friends went. I do have a leaf/seed from the tree in the front yard and some dirt that raised up from a corner of the sidewalk/grass. I didn't damage anything...it was spilling onto the sidewalk. I know it's weird...my children make fun of me for it...but I keep it in a clear locket. People think I'm wearing a locket of my dead mother's ashes, but it's actually dirt from the house. Anyway, I wish I would have been there in 2010 with ya.
BooshaGirl
Amityville Addict

Postby BooshaGirl » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:38 am

And even if I could afford the house, I barely make $50,000 per year. I can't afford those taxes. If it ever comes up for sale again, I'll be too old to take care of it--unless I win the lottery--but even then, I'd have to hire help. Nevermind. I'm coming to terms with my age. It is my birthday today, though--if anyone wants to buy it for me as a gift. --Laura
BooshaGirl
Amityville Addict

Postby underthegarden » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:09 am

Brendan72 wrote:
Julabard wrote:let's hope they buyer is interested in making a few bucks on the side and is willing to do Halloween tours around the house or something!

Nice idea in theory however it would be recipe for total disaster. You would basically have people lining up on the street waiting to get in for a 'tour', all the while peace and quiet on the street is being disrupted. Not to mention for those reasons the official Amityville town position would be to deny it on those grounds. The Amityville PD would also have their resources tied up maintaining law and order.

I would love to tour the house. I would love to rent it out for a weekend. I would pay a hefty deposit to do so. I think as long as the owners didn't have large group tours, it could be manageable. There are several historic homes in my city (many allegedly haunted) and they offer tours 1-2 times a month, but groups are always 5-7 people, tops, and the tour is only an hour long. You pay a small fee (goes to maintaining the property) and are allowed to take photos but not for profit. I love touring historic homes (haunted or not) and everyone I've ever been on a tour with has been super respectful and quiet. We wear booties and don't touch anything. Usually tour groups are half paranormal researchers and half history buffs (there's some crossover, of course).

I guess it might be different with a house like 108 Ocean, though, considering all the media attention & Hollywood history. Still, it wouldn't be impossible to provide *occasional* tours to small groups, as long as they pay deposits/fees and abide by rules. Those fees might help pay those mega property taxes. I would say $50 would be a reasonable amount to charge per person (for a 1 hour tour). Let's say you have 20 people per month (for 2 tours). $12K a year. Nearly half your property taxes paid.

Agree though, that although this sounds do-able, I'm sure neighbors would disagree, and it only takes one lame tour group member to ruin things for everyone.
underthegarden
Amityville Member

Postby underthegarden » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:21 am

Brendan72 wrote:I understand prospective buyers are vetted before even allowed a viewing? I can understand that given the house's history of nuisance trespassers.

I imagine there would be lots of lookie-loos without any sort of vetting. I'd be tempted myself, if I wasn't on the other side of the country (or had lots of travel money to burn).

I remember reading a blog entry by someone who looked at the house a while ago, and she was able to get access to the house via a key in a box. The realtor wasn't even there to give her a house tour! She had the ability to just walk around the house by herself, and she was in her early 20s (an age when most people can't afford to buy a home). See: http://brooklynhudson.blogspot.com/2012 ... house.html

Guess it's a lot harder to gain access now. Perhaps because current owner is more protective (as is the realtor).
underthegarden
Amityville Member

Next

Return to Amityville Discussion