House for sell 2016

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
underthegarden
Amityville Addict

Re: House for sell 2016

Post by underthegarden » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:39 am

Ridewithme38 wrote:I haven't noticed any changes in cars or any moving trucks
Any update? Seems like it has been nearly 3 months since it was removed from Zillow. Seems like it is taking a longer time to close this house...isn't 45 business days the national average? Been about 60 days.

Sorry, curiosity about new owners is getting the best of me. I don't really care who they are individually, just if they are more public-profile or have a link to the city's history.

underthegarden
Amityville Addict

Post by underthegarden » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:57 am

Sold for $605k, way below asking. "New owners could not be reached."
http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/real ... 1.13104819

DC Fan
Amityville Addict

Post by DC Fan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:07 am

A capital loss of over 36%. It looks to me like someone was taking advantage of how difficult it was to make an offer, artificially lowering the number of offers that would otherwise be made. :lol:

underthegarden
Amityville Addict

Post by underthegarden » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:25 am

DC Fan wrote:A capital loss of over 36%. It looks to me like someone was taking advantage of how difficult it was to make an offer, artificially lowering the number of offers that would otherwise be made. :lol:
Yes.

Or:

1. Inspection or disclosure docs revealed expensive issues with house. Maybe mold/mildew, foundation, roof, water damage, wiring, plumbing. My in laws just dropped 30k due to major plumbing repair and 10k on roof repairs. Imagine if there was also mildew and foundation work? These things can add up so maybe they negotiated down to account for the repairs.

2. Maybe there is some legal headaches on the horizon. Plus that movie that will be released eventually = need to hire security or get a new system?

3. Maybe it is so crazy haunted that new buyers suffered severe mental trauma requiring hospitalization and sued broker and sellers and decided to settle out of court with a price drop. Kidding.

4. Cold market, sold at fair value compared to other properties. It is just a house, like any other house argument made case for lowered price.

Amityville Rock
Amityville Addict

Post by Amityville Rock » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:38 pm

DC Fan wrote:A capital loss of over 36%. It looks to me like someone was taking advantage of how difficult it was to make an offer, artificially lowering the number of offers that would otherwise be made. :lol:
In all likelihood you are correct. The sellers certainly shot themselves in the foot, although I suspect pressure from the town folk played a role in the overly complex process.
Special Guest Star

est. 1999

OntarioGuy1988
Amityville Addict

Post by OntarioGuy1988 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:43 pm

Is there any news on the new buyers? I heard it was a family with kids

Should be interesting to see how long they last there...

Amityville Rock
Amityville Addict

Post by Amityville Rock » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:33 pm

Call me a scaredy cat if you want. Knowing what I do about the Defoes (dead), Lutzes (the boys are messed up), Cromarties (David Roskin died there by all reports), O'Neils (Peter Jr. died on 9/11), I would never live in that house if I had children who were teens or younger.
Special Guest Star

est. 1999

OntarioGuy1988
Amityville Addict

Post by OntarioGuy1988 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:27 pm

Amityville Rock wrote:Call me a scaredy cat if you want. Knowing what I do about the Defoes (dead), Lutzes (the boys are messed up), Cromarties (David Roskin died there by all reports), O'Neils (Peter Jr. died on 9/11), I would never live in that house if I had children who were teens or younger.
I'd never live in that house PERIOD. something is seriously strange about it- why would the D'Antonios move out into a condo just months after buying the house, leaving it vacant? That doesn't add up.

underthegarden
Amityville Addict

Post by underthegarden » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:25 am

OntarioGuy1988 wrote:
Amityville Rock wrote:Call me a scaredy cat if you want. Knowing what I do about the Defoes (dead), Lutzes (the boys are messed up), Cromarties (David Roskin died there by all reports), O'Neils (Peter Jr. died on 9/11), I would never live in that house if I had children who were teens or younger.
I'd never live in that house PERIOD. something is seriously strange about it- why would the D'Antonios move out into a condo just months after buying the house, leaving it vacant? That doesn't add up.
I think they were there a few years before moving out? Didn't they iit purchase in 2010? They moved out because David D'antonio fell Ill and needed at home nursing care. Maybe it was expensive, probably not covered by insurance or Medicare. Maybe they needed a home with bedrooms on first floor? Probably sold house to pay for medical bills is my guess.

It doesn't make much sense for them to have made it so hard to sell, though. Intense vetting process, no interior photos in listing, no open house. Might have found a buyer willing to pay more. I am still confused by lack of interior photos in the listing and media couldn't take photos, either. What the heck? Not good for marketing.

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:47 am

Or the previous owners bought the house at too high of a price.

Amityville Rock
Amityville Addict

Post by Amityville Rock » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:13 pm

I feel sorry for the D'antonioes. Their tenure at 108 Ocean Avenue certainly was a
fiasco: from a frivolous lawsuit to Mr. D'antonio's illness and death to a 36% loss of their purchase price. I hope the new owners have an easier time.
Special Guest Star

est. 1999

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:14 pm

Amityville Rock wrote:I feel sorry for the D'antonioes. Their tenure at 108 Ocean Avenue certainly was a
fiasco: from a frivolous lawsuit to Mr. D'antonio's illness and death to a 36% loss of their purchase price. I hope the new owners have an easier time.

What was the frivulous lawsuit?

Amityville Rock
Amityville Addict

Post by Amityville Rock » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:38 pm

Victoria Principles wrote:
Amityville Rock wrote:I feel sorry for the D'antonioes. Their tenure at 108 Ocean Avenue certainly was a

What was the frivulous lawsuit?
Remember the crackpot who claimed the D'antonioes agreed to sell him the house for a "project"? The info was posted on this very forum at the time.
Special Guest Star

est. 1999

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:51 pm

mariareese
Amityville Member

Post by mariareese » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:19 am

I was too expensive .. any exemption?

reece86
Amityville Member

Post by reece86 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:45 am

I'm very surprised a fan has never purchased this house, would have been nice because maybe all the changes to the exterior might now have happened ;)

reece86
Amityville Member

Post by reece86 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:57 am

underthegarden wrote:
Brendan72 wrote:
Julabard wrote:let's hope they buyer is interested in making a few bucks on the side and is willing to do Halloween tours around the house or something!
Nice idea in theory however it would be recipe for total disaster. You would basically have people lining up on the street waiting to get in for a 'tour', all the while peace and quiet on the street is being disrupted. Not to mention for those reasons the official Amityville town position would be to deny it on those grounds. The Amityville PD would also have their resources tied up maintaining law and order.
I would love to tour the house. I would love to rent it out for a weekend. I would pay a hefty deposit to do so. I think as long as the owners didn't have large group tours, it could be manageable. There are several historic homes in my city (many allegedly haunted) and they offer tours 1-2 times a month, but groups are always 5-7 people, tops, and the tour is only an hour long. You pay a small fee (goes to maintaining the property) and are allowed to take photos but not for profit. I love touring historic homes (haunted or not) and everyone I've ever been on a tour with has been super respectful and quiet. We wear booties and don't touch anything. Usually tour groups are half paranormal researchers and half history buffs (there's some crossover, of course).

I guess it might be different with a house like 108 Ocean, though, considering all the media attention & Hollywood history. Still, it wouldn't be impossible to provide *occasional* tours to small groups, as long as they pay deposits/fees and abide by rules. Those fees might help pay those mega property taxes. I would say $50 would be a reasonable amount to charge per person (for a 1 hour tour). Let's say you have 20 people per month (for 2 tours). $12K a year. Nearly half your property taxes paid.

Agree though, that although this sounds do-able, I'm sure neighbors would disagree, and it only takes one lame tour group member to ruin things for everyone.

You would think the government would slash the property taxes on this house for the owners lol Think of how much this house brings in per year in tourism for the town

reece86
Amityville Member

Post by reece86 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:44 am

I wonder if the murders still affect the sales price? and if the murders still have to be disclosed to potential buys 40 years later.

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:07 am

reece86 wrote:I'm very surprised a fan has never purchased this house, would have been nice because maybe all the changes to the exterior might now have happened ;)

Amityville only wants locals to get it. Thank god most fans are too poor to buy it.

underthegarden
Amityville Addict

Post by underthegarden » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Victoria Principles wrote:
reece86 wrote:I'm very surprised a fan has never purchased this house, would have been nice because maybe all the changes to the exterior might now have happened ;)

Amityville only wants locals to get it. Thank god most fans are too poor to buy it.
Most of America is too poor/too middle class to buy that house. Actually, home ownership is at record lows (over past 5 decades) due to higher housing costs and stagnant wages.

Well, we don't know who bought it yet. Maybe it was a fan (or secret fan). I'd like to think the buyer has more of passing interest in the house's history and lore. Though reports of the sale have made it to many news outlets, buyer's identity has (oddly) not been referenced anywhere. Guess news organizations don't care enough to dig any deeper than "it was sold."

Bodie_Rose
Amityville Addict

Post by Bodie_Rose » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:49 am

Bad things happen, sometimes even to different people who have lived in the same place. There's nothing remotely strange or "supernatural" about it.

Ronnie DeFeo probably would have still been a murdering SOB no matter where he lived.

Kids get messed up all the time, for various reasons.

By "all reports" do you mean the one where the Cromarty family themselves say David died after they moved out? Besides, even if he DID die while living there, drug related death for a man in his twenties is hardly unheard of, tragic but happens all the time.

http://www.amityvillefaq.com/research/1 ... artys).txt

The O'Neils no longer lived there on 9/11, and it's hardly strange someone from New York becoming a victim of that horrible day.

People read way to much into the supposed "effects" of that house. The last one is particular glaring and illogical... do people really believe some evil force in a suburban Long Island house sent someone who no longer lived there to their death in a terrorist attack?

Bizarre if they do.

There's a house on my street that has a pretty nasty history... one murder (husband killed wife), a suicide in the family of the next owners and very recently another owner was jailed for raping a 15 year old girl.
Left her for dead though luckily she survived.

Murder happening in a house would put me off living there possibly. Knowing how it happened even more so. Doubt I could sleep in that house without giving some thought to what happened in those rooms.