House for sell 2016

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
User avatar
# 13
The Creepin Yeti
Posts: 1362
Location: Anchorhead, Tatooine (I moved recently)

Re: House for sell 2016

Post by # 13 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:09 pm

underthegarden wrote: I would love to tour the house. There are several historic homes in my city (many allegedly haunted) and they offer tours 1-2 times a month, but groups are always 5-7 people, tops, and the tour is only an hour long. You pay a small fee (goes to maintaining the property) and are allowed to take photos but not for profit. I love touring historic homes (haunted or not) and everyone I've ever been on a tour with has been super respectful and quiet. We wear booties and don't touch anything. Usually tour groups are half paranormal researchers and half history buffs (there's some crossover, of course).

I guess it might be different with a house like 108 Ocean, though, considering all the media attention & Hollywood history. Still, it wouldn't be impossible to provide *occasional* tours to small groups, as long as they pay deposits/fees and abide by rules. Those fees might help pay those mega property taxes. I would say $50 would be a reasonable amount to charge per person (for a 1 hour tour). Let's say you have 20 people per month (for 2 tours). $12K a year. Nearly half your property taxes paid.
I would love to tour the house as well.

I think the difference with 108/112 is that, in addition to what you said about the hype, people were murdered there in fairly recent history, not just a haunting. Therefore, it's a lot more personal to the Village of Amityville. They remember the Defeo's, they were friends and neighbors. Now, that could be the case in your city but I don't know.

Amityville used to have a write-up on their webpage concerning the Defeos and the personal nature of the crimes and what it meant to the residents but they took it off the webpage years ago.
"Either the most complex and sophisticated hoax in the history of Anthropology has continued for centuries without being exposed or the most manlike and largest non human primate has managed to survive in parts of North America and remains undiscovered by modern science."
Prof G.W.Gill - President of the American Board of Forensic Anthropology

Ridewithme38
Amityville Member
Posts: 24

Re: House for sell 2016

Post by Ridewithme38 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:58 pm

Group purchase? If each active member put in, $10,000 we could own it!

Victoria Principles
Amityville Maniac
Posts: 2916

Re: House for sell 2016

Post by Victoria Principles » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:28 am

Ridewithme38 wrote:Group purchase? If each active member put in, $10,000 we could own it!

They are vetting the perspective new owners of the house. Besides, not many people here have that kind of money.

Stacey_xoxo
Amityville Member
Posts: 33

Amityville house is up for sale again !

Post by Stacey_xoxo » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:48 am


underthegarden
Amityville Addict
Posts: 121
Location: A little bit here, a little bit there

Re: House for sell 2016

Post by underthegarden » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:27 am

Ridewithme38 wrote:Group purchase? If each active member put in, $10,000 we could own it!
We'd have to set up some sort of legal entity and work out an enforceable time-share sort of contract and it would be all sorts of legal hassle. We'd likely have to all submit to background checks, too. Even if it did all work out, someone would still need to deal with people trying to back out or sell off their shares. Oy.

That being said, I like the idea of a fan board collectively owning a property, just because it is so ridiculous. And also because it's likely the only way I'll ever be able to get inside the home.

underthegarden
Amityville Addict
Posts: 121
Location: A little bit here, a little bit there

Re: House for sell 2016

Post by underthegarden » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:32 am

# 13 wrote:I would love to tour the house as well.

I think the difference with 108/112 is that, in addition to what you said about the hype, people were murdered there in fairly recent history, not just a haunting. Therefore, it's a lot more personal to the Village of Amityville. They remember the Defeo's, they were friends and neighbors. Now, that could be the case in your city but I don't know.

Amityville used to have a write-up on their webpage concerning the Defeos and the personal nature of the crimes and what it meant to the residents but they took it off the webpage years ago.
Good point. I can see why the owners, both past and present, would want to keep the home in the community, since it is a part of the town's history (not a good part, but history nonetheless). I imagine some people would just rather forget while others want to preserve it and ensure it is well maintained/in good hands.

User avatar
BooshaGirl
Amityville Addict
Posts: 643

Re: House for sell 2016

Post by BooshaGirl » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:14 am

kathyM wrote:The estate sale was open to the public. If me and Boosha would have heard about it earlier, we would have been there too. Right Boosha? :(
ABSOULUTELY, darlin. I'd have scooped you up in a minute and we'd have gone!

kathyM
Princess
Posts: 2607

Re: House for sell 2016

Post by kathyM » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:42 pm

We could have had Evanguy drive us! :)

litown
Amityville Member
Posts: 20

Re: House for sell 2016

Post by litown » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:38 pm

http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/real ... 1.11931003
“Nothing is moving along at a great pace,” says Jerry O’Neill of Coldwell Banker Harbor Light of any likely deals in the works.

Only those who appear to be serious about purchasing the $850,000 waterfront property have been allowed inside the legendary home, which for decades has attracted curiosity seekers who drive or boat by and often stop to take photos.

While O’Neill says he has been flooded with inquiries about the house since its June 3 listing, seller Caroline D’Antonio is requiring an application, bank prequalification, proof of funds and the name of the buyer’s attorney before a real estate agent can take a client through the front door.

User avatar
GhostHuntress
Amityville Member
Posts: 15
Location: [REDACTED]
Contact:

Re: House for sell 2016

Post by GhostHuntress » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:15 pm

Wish I had the money, if I had the money I would let you all visit it :(
"They're here!" - Carol Anne, Poltergeist.

underthegarden
Amityville Addict
Posts: 121
Location: A little bit here, a little bit there

Re: House for sell 2016

Post by underthegarden » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:07 pm

litown wrote:http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/real ... 1.11931003
“Nothing is moving along at a great pace,” says Jerry O’Neill of Coldwell Banker Harbor Light of any likely deals in the works.

Only those who appear to be serious about purchasing the $850,000 waterfront property have been allowed inside the legendary home, which for decades has attracted curiosity seekers who drive or boat by and often stop to take photos.

While O’Neill says he has been flooded with inquiries about the house since its June 3 listing, seller Caroline D’Antonio is requiring an application, bank prequalification, proof of funds and the name of the buyer’s attorney before a real estate agent can take a client through the front door.
Wow. That's a lot of hoops to jump through, just to *look* at the house! Especially about getting the name of a buyer's attorney. Seems like overkill, but it indicates that there is some sort of complicated contract the buyer would have to agree to upon purchase. Maybe the buyer owns the home but not publicity rights, nor rights to make any additional money linked to the house. This is my guess.

jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict
Posts: 661

Re: House for sell 2016

Post by jimmysmokes » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:13 pm

the owner just wants to make sure that people like victoria "samples" don't show up just to get a look-see

underthegarden
Amityville Addict
Posts: 121
Location: A little bit here, a little bit there

Re: House for sell 2016

Post by underthegarden » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:17 am

It is really strange that there is not one single interior shot on the Zillow listing. 21 photos, all exterior. Wonder if they bothered staging the interior, wonder if any furniture is still there, wonder if there have been any additional renovations? Does anyone know if D'antonio era interior shots exist somewhere?

Victoria Principles
Amityville Maniac
Posts: 2916

Re: House for sell 2016

Post by Victoria Principles » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:26 pm

jimmysmokes wrote:the owner just wants to make sure that people like victoria "samples" don't show up just to get a look-see
I already been there, Goobs.

jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict
Posts: 661

Re: House for sell 2016

Post by jimmysmokes » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:45 pm

ok ok, i'll ask you what you're dying for me to ask. "what did you see when you were there" - response - "nothing that doesn't show"

if you all can read between the lines here, then you all will see how deflating it was then, is, now, always.

simply nothing...

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9620
Contact:

Re: House for sell 2016

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:41 am

“We have several offers from local Amityville residents who are very much aware of the history and are not at all concerned,” Jerry O’Neill, who owns Coldwell Banker Harbor Light, told The Washington Post.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... y-history/

Includes this interesting tidbit from Roger Ebert's 1979 movie review:
“Is the story based on fact?” film critic Roger Ebert wrote in 1979. “I have no way of knowing. I’ve met George Lutz; I had a couple of beers with him in the Los Angeles Airport, and he seemed to be a likable and a totally believable person. He told me, soberly and earnestly, of the terrible things that happened to him and his family in that haunted house on Ocean Boulevard on Long Island, out there where people move in every expectation of learning Craig Claiborne’s ‘New York Times Cook Book’ by heart.

“Was he telling the truth? Did green slime really squirt from the keyholes? Did a a redeyed pig really glare through the windows? Did a ghostly marching band really parade through the living room? Maybe so; we’ve all made bad real estate investments. But the question isn’t so much whether those terrible things really happened as whether (please forgive me for my lack of reverence) they’ve been made into an entertaining movie.”

Ebert’s harsh conclusion? “They have not.”

Victoria Principles
Amityville Maniac
Posts: 2916

Re: House for sell 2016

Post by Victoria Principles » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:04 am

jimmysmokes wrote:ok ok, i'll ask you what you're dying for me to ask. "what did you see when you were there" - response - "nothing that doesn't show"

if you all can read between the lines here, then you all will see how deflating it was then, is, now, always.

simply nothing...
I saw the same thing that your brain does when you are smoking your weed, nothing.

jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict
Posts: 661

Re: House for sell 2016

Post by jimmysmokes » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:58 pm

i know you saw nothing and i could've saved you the time and trouble. at least you're honest about your sight-seeing tour there. now the fence sitters here will know first hand and stay home.

you're jealous of what I smoke aren't you. got a hold of some stuff the other night you wouldn't believe. i see plenty and it's always good. 8-)

rohralan
Amityville Member
Posts: 10

Re: House for sell 2016

Post by rohralan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:09 am


rohralan
Amityville Member
Posts: 10

Re: House for sell 2016

Post by rohralan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:11 am

I'm raising money for Amityville Horror House. Click to Donate: https://gofund.me/2b22f5w?pc=tw_cr_n via @gofundme

underthegarden
Amityville Addict
Posts: 121
Location: A little bit here, a little bit there

Re: House for sell 2016

Post by underthegarden » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:40 am

sherbetbizarre wrote:
“We have several offers from local Amityville residents who are very much aware of the history and are not at all concerned,” Jerry O’Neill, who owns Coldwell Banker Harbor Light, told The Washington Post.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... y-history/

Includes this interesting tidbit from Roger Ebert's 1979 movie review:
“Is the story based on fact?” film critic Roger Ebert wrote in 1979. “I have no way of knowing. I’ve met George Lutz; I had a couple of beers with him in the Los Angeles Airport, and he seemed to be a likable and a totally believable person. He told me, soberly and earnestly, of the terrible things that happened to him and his family in that haunted house on Ocean Boulevard on Long Island, out there where people move in every expectation of learning Craig Claiborne’s ‘New York Times Cook Book’ by heart.

“Was he telling the truth? Did green slime really squirt from the keyholes? Did a a redeyed pig really glare through the windows? Did a ghostly marching band really parade through the living room? Maybe so; we’ve all made bad real estate investments. But the question isn’t so much whether those terrible things really happened as whether (please forgive me for my lack of reverence) they’ve been made into an entertaining movie.”

Ebert’s harsh conclusion? “They have not.”
I had no idea Roger Ebert met George Lutz. Interesting story, especially how he liked George but didn't find the movie entertaining. The movie might have taken too many Hollywood liberties (an understatement) and was slightly campy (seems more campy now than it was back in the day), but it was certainly entertaining (and I really don't like 85% of horror films out there). I usually agreed with most of Ebert's movie assessments, too. It's no cinematic masterpiece, but it was entertaining to watch then. And now. Clearly I'm biased.

Post Reply