Why do people yell at you when your there

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
Johanna98_jordy
Amityville Member

Why do people yell at you when your there

Post by Johanna98_jordy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:45 pm

Hi I just wanted to know why the people who love in amityville are so sensitive about other people taking pictures of or with the house... I went there and took some pics with my grandparents and then kind of freaked out with embrassment when a guy yelled at us from his car saying CAN'T YOU SEE IT SAYS PRIVATE PROPERTY? I know I wasn't doing anything illegal and my grandparents just blew it off but I was mad... scared the police would come and a bit embarassed.....
So why is that ? :oops:

underthegarden
Amityville Addict

Re: Why do people yell at you when your there

Post by underthegarden » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Johanna98_jordy wrote:Hi I just wanted to know why the people who love in amityville are so sensitive about other people taking pictures of or with the house... I went there and took some pics with my grandparents and then kind of freaked out with embrassment when a guy yelled at us from his car saying CAN'T YOU SEE IT SAYS PRIVATE PROPERTY? I know I wasn't doing anything illegal and my grandparents just blew it off but I was mad... scared the police would come and a bit embarassed.....
I'm not from Amityville, but I'm guessing neighbors aren't fond of people clogging up the street, taking up parking spaces, and driving slower than the speed limit. Public safety issue.

I am wondering how bad the problem really is, though? I mean, is it a nonstop steady stream? 15-20 cars a day? Or even more, still, even years later? When you were there, were there lots of people driving by?

I'm imagining some neighbors have more of an issue than others, and are more active/vocal. You probably just had bad timing and ran into one of the more vocal neighbors. Oops!

horsysauce
Amityville Member

Post by horsysauce » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:38 pm

Johanna98_jordy wrote:Hi I just wanted to know why the people who love in amityville are so sensitive about other people taking pictures of or with the house... I went there and took some pics with my grandparents and then kind of freaked out with embrassment when a guy yelled at us from his car saying CAN'T YOU SEE IT SAYS PRIVATE PROPERTY? I know I wasn't doing anything illegal and my grandparents just blew it off but I was mad... scared the police would come and a bit embarassed.....
A good guess would be from all the harassment the town and occupants have suffered from all this mess.

Johanna98_jordy
Amityville Member

Post by Johanna98_jordy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:43 pm

When I was there the steeets were empty literaly and we were parked like half a Block away.
Mabey they thought it was offensive or something but considering that happened ages ago and the guy that yelled at me had to live like 3 Blocks Down I was puzzled.

jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict

Post by jimmysmokes » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:16 pm

you might want to take ayko with you next time you go there? you won't be bothered then...

Amit Y Ville
Streaming on Twitch from the red room

Post by Amit Y Ville » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:25 am

Don't mean to be rude at all but when I go I'm going to have so many pictures in front of the house. I won't step onto their private property and will go by foot, so I won't clog up the road. I've waited over 20 years for this!
Amityville fan since 1995, believer of the case, often imitated but never replicated

jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict

Post by jimmysmokes » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:15 am

i wouldnt doubt it

Ayko
Amityville Addict

Post by Ayko » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:05 am

Maybe the house and grounds should be made into a Museum or other cultural facility. Or I guess that would make it worse, unless contained within a wall structure or gate. Heard of that happening lots, though, what happened to you. And btw, Welcome.
Father Ryan: I'm not in the habit of blaming Satan for every phenomenon.

underthegarden
Amityville Addict

Post by underthegarden » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:02 am

Johanna98_jordy wrote:When I was there the steeets were empty literaly and we were parked like half a Block away.
Mabey they thought it was offensive or something but considering that happened ages ago and the guy that yelled at me had to live like 3 Blocks Down I was puzzled.
I'm sure you just had bad timing. If you go to any allegedly haunted or urban-legend type location that is near other houses, you'll always find someone who will yell at you. You are basically being yelled at due to the misdeeds of others - people who have (in the past) been loud, clogged up the road, blocked driveways, revved engines, etc. No matter if you are quiet and respectful...you'll get yelled at anyhow.

There's this man who lives at the head of a trail near me. The trail is said to be haunted. You need to cut through private city-owned property to get to the trail, though. Lots of people don't even bother visiting the trail because of numerous reports of some crotchety guy walking around with a bat and yelling at people to get off his property (which is actually not his...it's city property). We lucked out and didn't run into him. Anyhow, my point is no matter how respectful you are, there's always someone who assumes you are a loud teenager who will break beer bottles all over the place and spray paint illuminati signs all over the house.

Amit Y Ville

Post by Amit Y Ville » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:45 am

I've got a loud mouth too and it's really none of their business as long as I'm on the right side of the law. Unless there's a law which prevents me taking a picture in front of a house I don't see why the hell I can't do it. To be fair if I bought the house I'd be stupid to not expect people to be taking pictures etc. Look out for me in 2017 Amityville those pictures are mine.
Amityville fan since 1995, believer of the case, often imitated but never replicated

Ridewithme38
Amityville Member

Post by Ridewithme38 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:31 am

I live on Ocean Avenue, although a few blocks from the house. There is a stop sign in front of the house, at the minimum every single day, you will get a dozen cars that 'long stop' at that stop sign. The traffic isn't horrible, but yea, it can get annoying and there are constant gawkers walking by or stopping and taking pictures.

Think about it, would you want people always standing if front of your house, or stopping traffic to take pictures of your neighbors property? It's got to be abnoxious not having any privacy at all.

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:14 pm

underthegarden wrote:
Ridewithme38 wrote:I live on Ocean Avenue, although a few blocks from the house. There is a stop sign in front of the house, at the minimum every single day, you will get a dozen cars that 'long stop' at that stop sign. The traffic isn't horrible, but yea, it can get annoying and there are constant gawkers walking by or stopping and taking pictures.

Think about it, would you want people always standing if front of your house, or stopping traffic to take pictures of your neighbors property? It's got to be abnoxious not having any privacy at all.
Thanks for the insider perspective! So it does seem like the house gets significant interest on a daily basis. Wondering if they could plant a few trees out front to obscure the house a bit (might take a few years for them to get tall enough). It would at least give the owners an increased sense of privacy, even if they could hear cars driving by.
I understand that over the years measures of this kind have taken place to dissuade gawkers - high bushes, high fences. Everything short of barbed wire or electricity and a guard dog.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

Bango Skank
Amityville Member

Post by Bango Skank » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:48 am

underthegarden wrote:
Ridewithme38 wrote:I live on Ocean Avenue, although a few blocks from the house. There is a stop sign in front of the house, at the minimum every single day, you will get a dozen cars that 'long stop' at that stop sign. The traffic isn't horrible, but yea, it can get annoying and there are constant gawkers walking by or stopping and taking pictures.

Thanks for the insider perspective! So it does seem like the house gets significant interest on a daily basis. Wondering if they could plant a few trees out front to obscure the house a bit (might take a few years for them to get tall enough). It would at least give the owners an increased sense of privacy, even if they could hear cars driving by.
That's pretty much what's been done with the Jon Benet Ramsey murder house in Boulder Colorado, though in the day and age of Google Maps, it doesn't really matter, people will still find it, but it's tough to get a picture of it from the sidewalk.

# 13
The Creepin Yeti

Post by # 13 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:09 pm

horsysauce wrote:
A good guess would be from all the harassment the town and occupants have suffered from all this mess.
Exactly! Like I said before the Defeos were friends and neighbors of theirs. In the grand scheme of things it didn't happen all that long ago. Alot of people still remember them. You didn't do anything wrong Horsysauce, you were on public right-of-way. What you experienced was the residual effect of years of idiots traipsing across the property, looking in windows, trying to steal siding or pulling up grass just to get a piece of the property. If your interested, watch this video of what the Cromartys went through after they bought the house when the Lutz family moved out.

"Either the most complex and sophisticated hoax in the history of Anthropology has continued for centuries without being exposed or the most manlike and largest non human primate has managed to survive in parts of North America and remains undiscovered by modern science."
Prof G.W.Gill - President of the American Board of Forensic Anthropology

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:08 pm

Ridewithme38 wrote:Wondering if they could plant a few trees out front to obscure the house a bit (might take a few years for them to get tall enough). It would at least give the owners an increased sense of privacy, even if they could hear cars driving by.
The Cromarties tried that in the 80's (along with their 3rd floor fake window.)

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:27 pm

Interesting how the Cromarties could hear people yelling from the street yet nobody heard the gunshots the night of the murders ...
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

Kitana-Galatea Thorn
Amityville Member

Post by Kitana-Galatea Thorn » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:54 pm

Ridewithme38 wrote:Think about it, would you want people always standing if front of your house, or stopping traffic to take pictures of your neighbors property? It's got to be abnoxious not having any privacy at all.
I 200% agree with Ridewithme38.

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:22 pm

My last neighbour's would watch myself and my houseguests exiting and entering my home and were always hanging outside on my property messing it up and invading my privacy. Looking in my windows, hanging around my bins, being right there in your face when you were just trying to live your life. The amityville house is no exception. It was a nightmare to be living with that level of fear and intrusion and I can't even begin to imagine how much worse it is with the amityville house.

You don't have to have a camera or voice recorder to upset the locals - even your very presence gawking at the house can just about do it - not to mention the traffic which may be building up or locals maybe having problems earlier that day with rude tourists.

Although innocent to the people wishing to catch a glimpse of the house the locals probably think they are doing a good deed by looking out for the owners and thus are coming across as defensive? I can't blame them but I can respect that tourists have travelled far to catch a glimpse of the house and if that was me I may feel a little disheartened but would respect there are boundaries and certainly wouldn't get the locals angry.
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

shane2801
Amityville Addict

Post by shane2801 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:11 am

I visited in 2011 all the way from Australia. We caught the train from Penn Station and walked. It was midweek and nobody was around. I stayed on the footpath but still got sprayed by someone driving past. It didn't bother me. Had they have stopped I would have sprayed them back.

What did bother me was why I set aside half a day on my holiday to visit this house when I do not believe that it was ever haunted???

Amit Y Ville

Post by Amit Y Ville » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:46 am

shane2801 wrote:What did bother me was why I set aside half a day on my holiday to visit this house when I do not believe that it was ever haunted???
For all we know it could be. It's an infamous house and spawned so much inspiration to the horror genre, and caused huge drama for decades between the huge personalities in this case. It's totally worth seeing to be part of that history. You saw a house I've been wanting to see since I was 13, and now 34... I'm jealous for sure! :clap:

Ridewithme38
Amityville Member

Post by Ridewithme38 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:21 am

For all we know it could be. It's an infamous house and spawned so much inspiration to the horror genre, and caused huge drama for decades between the huge personalities in this case. It's totally worth seeing to be part of that history.
Interesting point, I don't really believe in ghosts, or hauntings, but if i did, I wonder if there are 'ghost tourists'. Those people who died without being able to see the house, wandering around the neighborhood thinking 'is that the house?' 'No, maybe its that one' haunting the whole neighborhood