The Amityville Horror Is About Embryonic Stem Cell Research

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
Troodon Roar
Amityville Member

The Amityville Horror Is About Embryonic Stem Cell Research

Post by Troodon Roar » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:39 am

I have a theory that the remake film is an analogy or metaphor for embryonic stem cell research. (Yes, I know the remake film is not accurate concerning the events that happened in the house in real life, in this universe, but watching it was my first introduction to anything Amityville, so I based this theory off of its plot).

First of all, the film was released at a time when embryonic stem cell research was a major controversial political and scientific issue, with the Bush Administration in the United States having just outlined its stem cell policy four years earlier.

Second of all, the cause of the haunting is revealed to be Ketcham committing genocide of Native Americans in the basement of the house, an analogy to embryos being killed on a massive scale in order to harvest their stem cells.

Third of all, it is revealed that, after torturing and killing the Native Americans, Ketcham slit his own throat with a knife, spraying his blood everywhere. Notably, when Ketcham's ghost reenacts his suicide in front of George Lutz towards the film's climax, it occurs on the Lutz family's 28th day in the house. The reason why this is so significant is because 28 days is around the length of a female menstrual cycle, and bleeding often starts around day 28 of a female's menstrual cycle, and Ketcham is male. Therefore, this can be interpreted as a metaphor for male menstruation being made possible using embryonic stem cells derived from destroyed embryos. Crucially, Ketcham slits his throat and bleeds after he has slaughtered the Native Americans, just like how a male would menstruate after embryos have been killed to harvest their stem cells, and construct ovarian tissue with them for him to secrete the hormones that stimulate the female menstrual cycle.

Fourth of all, in the film, Harry, the dog, is killed by George with an axe in the boathouse, and his ghost can subsequently be heard barking, an analogy for how, after embryos are killed in embryonic stem cell research, they "live on", in a sense, through their stem cells, as their stem cells are now alive in culture, and perhaps in a patient's body, after being harvested from the embryos, killing them in the process.

Fifth of all, the haunting phenomena intensify at a certain time each night, 3:15 A.M., an analogy for how embryonic stem cells are most useful and potent when they are derived from embryos at a certain stage of development, namely, the blastocyst stage, when the embryo consists of a layer of outer cells, called the trophoblast, surrounding a fluid-filled cavity, called a blastocoel, and a cluster of cells on the inside, called the inner cell mass. Embryonic stem cells are usually derived from the inner cell mass of blastocysts.

Sixth of all, at 3:15 A.M., George wakes up and leaves his step-children behind to go to the boathouse. Embryos lose the mitochondria from the sperm around the blastocyst stage of embryonic development, meaning that they become more distant, genetically, from their fathers around that time, just like how George's step-children became more distant from their step-father at 3:15 A.M. whenever he woke up to go out to the boathouse. (Yeah, I know George is not their biological father, so he did not contribute the sperm that conceived them, along with Kathy's egg, but he is still a surrogate father figure to Kathy Lutz's children in the film, so the analogy still works).

What does everyone else think about this theory of mine?

Troodon Roar
Amityville Member

Re: The Amityville Horror Is About Embryonic Stem Cell Resea

Post by Troodon Roar » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:47 am

And the ghost of Jodie DeFeo, according to my theory, as she is not actually evil, but ks forced to do bad things by Ketcham's ghost, represents an innocent, naïve embryonic stem cell research supporter, whom is unaware that it kills embryos, and is trying to brainwash the Lutz family (which represents the general public) into supporting it by befriending the Lutzes' young daughter, Chelsea Lutz.

Amit Y Ville
Amityville Addict

Post by Amit Y Ville » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:37 am

Sure, I often thought this was the case too.
"Everything's sliding into place. Just ONE more sacrifice Lisa."

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:11 pm

Troodon Roar wrote:And the ghost of Jodie DeFeo, according to my theory, as she is not actually evil, but ks forced to do bad things by Ketcham's ghost, represents an innocent, naïve embryonic stem cell research supporter, whom is unaware that it kills embryos, and is trying to brainwash the Lutz family (which represents the general public) into supporting it by befriending the Lutzes' young daughter, Chelsea Lutz.
So the point of such an exercise would be to brainwash the public into accepting stem cell research?

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:07 am

I'm glad you only referred to it as a 'theory'. You are basically comparing scenes from the remake, which is a bastardization of the original movie (which seemed to be the main source of the remake as opposed to the book which the remake credits state used both sources).

If it was an exercise in brainwashing the public about stem cell research, then how was the public supposed to know what it was when stem cell research was in its' infancy?

Sorry but although your theories are interesting I don't find them credible.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

Troodon Roar
Amityville Member

Post by Troodon Roar » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:45 pm

My theory is not that the film was supposed to brainwash the public about embryonic stem cell research. Rather, it is that the Lutz family are a proxy for the public, and their experience in the house represents the public's experience with the dilemma over embryonic stem cell research. Ketcham's ghost, by being the cause of the haunting and a sinister spirit, represents the embryo killers themselves. Ketcham's ghoulish spirit trying to scare the family while they are in the house and causing George to go crazy and try to kill the rest of his family members is a metaphor for the supporters of government-funded embryonic stem cell research trying to coerce the public to pay for the killing through their taxes, even if they are opposed to it on moral grounds. Jodie's ghost, meanwhile, represents an innocent embryonic stem cell research supporter, who is unaware that it kills embryos, and tries to peacefully convince the public into supporting it by pointing out its potential to cure diseases, as opposed to trying to coerce the puhlic into supporting it and paying for it with their taxes. This is evidenced when Chelsea tells Kathy that Jodie is not actually bad, but the man who lives here (referring to Ketcham) makes her do bad things. I can easily imagine the scene where Jodie's spirit lures Chelsea onto the roof by telling her that it will allow her to be reunited with her deceased father, and being saved in the nick of time by Kathy and George, with her falling into George's arms from the roof, being a metaphor representing a situation in which a member of the public comes very close to donating money to an embryonic stem cell research organization to fund the research after being convinced that it will cure many chronic diseases, only to be saved in the nick of time by embryos' rights activists who inform her or him that the practice entails killing embryos.

Troodon Roar
Amityville Member

Post by Troodon Roar » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:03 pm

Also, while the Native Americans that are killed represent the embryos that are killed for their stem cells, the DeFeos that were shot to death represent patients who received transplants of embryonic stem cells, and subsequently died due to complications resulting from the graft, such as cancer, mainly teratomas, and autoimmune overreactions triggered by the immune system rejecting the graft of donor cells from an embryo.

And, significantly, Harry was the only one who died and subsequently became a ghost during the Lutz family's stay in the house, and his ghost appeared immediately upon his death, a metaphor for how, unlike in other forms of killing, an embryo killed by ESCR dies, but none of its cells die, as it dies from having its cells be separated, while the individual cells remain alive, in order to facilitate their transplantation into a patient.

underthegarden
Amityville Addict

Post by underthegarden » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:54 pm

Troodon Roar wrote:Also, while the Native Americans that are killed represent the embryos that are killed for their stem cells, the DeFeos that were shot to death represent patients who received transplants of embryonic stem cells, and subsequently died due to complications resulting from the graft, such as cancer, mainly teratomas, and autoimmune overreactions triggered by the immune system rejecting the graft of donor cells from an embryo.

And, significantly, Harry was the only one who died and subsequently became a ghost during the Lutz family's stay in the house, and his ghost appeared immediately upon his death, a metaphor for how, unlike in other forms of killing, an embryo killed by ESCR dies, but none of its cells die, as it dies from having its cells be separated, while the individual cells remain alive, in order to facilitate their transplantation into a patient.
This is maybe the best Amityville theory ever.

Ayko
Amityville Addict

Post by Ayko » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:28 am

Glad to see you have kept busy giving an example of 'how diplomatic (staged) moderating is done' with such an intelligent and fascinating discussion. Cheers.
Father Ryan: I'm not in the habit of blaming Satan for every phenomenon.