The Shining ripped off Amityville Horror

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
User avatar
Amit Y Ville
Streaming on Twitch from the red room
Posts: 718

The Shining ripped off Amityville Horror

Post by Amit Y Ville » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:53 pm

I had a friend try to argue with me that The Shining is an amazing movie. I replied that it really isn't, how overrated it is, and an entire rip-off of The Amityville Horror.

The story is set in a hotel as opposed to a house, being the only difference.

Jack gets possessed by a spirit, and slowly turns on his family and tries to kill them with an axe! How obvious can you get?!

I liked King in the 90's and Carrie has to be my favourite movie of all time, but he really copied here.
Had to have high, high hopes for a living - Panic! At The Disco

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9868
Contact:

Re: The Shining ripped off Amityville Horror

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:48 pm

It's murky because the books came out the same year, and although things were added to the movies, would there have been enough time for The Shining movie (1980) to rip off The Amityville Horror (1979)?

For instance, I rewatched The Amityville Horror the other night, and forgot there's a scene where a "possessed" George axes down a door with his family on the other side. I'm pretty sure that's not in the book. But is it in The Shining book? If so, then did the Amityville movie rip it from the King book?

According to Wikipedia -

The Shining
Publication date
January 28, 1977

The Amityville Horror
Publication date
September 13, 1977

Which means Stephen King didn't rip anything from Anson's book... Howeve though, the story was public a year before The Shining was published.

And between those books and movies, another film called The Evil came out in 1978, which had a "well to hell" in the basement!

User avatar
Victor_Pascow
Amityville Member
Posts: 52
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: The Shining ripped off Amityville Horror

Post by Victor_Pascow » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:55 pm

You've truly lost the plot if you think The Shining is anywhere close to the story of The Amityville Horror and that Stanley Kubrick's (slightly unfaithful version of the book) is overrated compared to Stuart Rosenberg's 'haunted house' midnight movie. Seriously? :shock:

User avatar
DC Fan
Amityville Addict
Posts: 373

Re: The Shining ripped off Amityville Horror

Post by DC Fan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:13 pm

This whole issue of one movie ripping off the other is a non starter.

The Shining book is about a hotel where all times are one and the caretaker's son is capable of seeing what happened in the past.

Anson's book was not the psycho dad story that film writers turned it into.

The similarity of haunted place does not lead me to believe any one book or movie is rip off of another. If so, then both are rip offs of the Legend of Hell House or something before.

Did Kubrik get the axing down of the door idea from the AH movie? Maybe, but he did preserve the idea of King's book as stated above, which is made more explicit in the book. In both book and movie, the AH is a family moves into a crime scene story, although I hate the movie's addition of the psycho dad element that makes it the rip off of Stephen King's novel where Jack Torrence chases his family with a roque mallet.

User avatar
Amit Y Ville
Streaming on Twitch from the red room
Posts: 718

Re: The Shining ripped off Amityville Horror

Post by Amit Y Ville » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:47 am

Victor_Pascow wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:55 pm
You've truly lost the plot if you think The Shining is anywhere close to the story of The Amityville Horror and that Stanley Kubrick's (slightly unfaithful version of the book) is overrated compared to Stuart Rosenberg's 'haunted house' midnight movie. Seriously? :shock:
With this response I don't believe you've watched either movies, or even you know - read my post.

You're not from my part of Manchester for sure.
Had to have high, high hopes for a living - Panic! At The Disco

User avatar
Victor_Pascow
Amityville Member
Posts: 52
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: The Shining ripped off Amityville Horror

Post by Victor_Pascow » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:41 am

I love AH movie because it's pretty kitsch (more and more so as the years go on). The Shining is a masterpiece of cinema and tone. I studied a huge chunk of Kubrick's work in my Film Studies back in 1999 around the time of his passing and know the in and out of his film, the production and the 'myths'. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the AH folklore and the movies but there really is no chance either film can sit on the same shelf!

I live in Manchester my friend, I am not a manc by all means, I just work there and have a good time 8-)

User avatar
Amit Y Ville
Streaming on Twitch from the red room
Posts: 718

Re: The Shining ripped off Amityville Horror

Post by Amit Y Ville » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:24 am

Victor_Pascow wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:41 am
I love AH movie because it's pretty kitsch (more and more so as the years go on). The Shining is a masterpiece of cinema and tone. I studied a huge chunk of Kubrick's work in my Film Studies back in 1999 around the time of his passing and know the in and out of his film, the production and the 'myths'. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the AH folklore and the movies but there really is no chance either film can sit on the same shelf!

I live in Manchester my friend, I am not a manc by all means, I just work there and have a good time 8-)
The topic is about the similarities between TAH and The Shining. Not which film is better. But then, TS really ain't that good if you know what makes a good supernatural movie. TS is more atrsy-fartsy stuff from Kubrick.

It's clear thay the entire film borrowed the father-goes-mad formula by way of demonic possession, finally culminating in the destruction of his family. Coincidentally with the same weapon used in TAH.

If you don't see that then you must be blind. But that's not really my issue.
Had to have high, high hopes for a living - Panic! At The Disco

User avatar
Amit Y Ville
Streaming on Twitch from the red room
Posts: 718

Re: The Shining ripped off Amityville Horror

Post by Amit Y Ville » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:29 am

More fuel to the fire. This took me like 3 seconds to find.

Had to have high, high hopes for a living - Panic! At The Disco

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9868
Contact:

Re: The Shining ripped off Amityville Horror

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:03 pm

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:24 am
It's clear that the entire film borrowed the father-goes-mad formula by way of demonic possession, finally culminating in the destruction of his family. Coincidentally with the same weapon used in TAH.
According to this site, which quotes old trade mags...

https://catalog.afi.com/Catalog/moviedetails/67203

...The Shining was filmed between May '78 & March/April '79 - which is before The Amityville Horror movie was even released in July '79!
A 23 May 1978 HR news item stated that filming began in late May; however, an 18 Nov 1978 Screen International production chart and a 22 Nov 1978 Var news item reported that principal photography was in its twenty-eighth and twenty-ninth weeks, implying that filming began in early May.
Some modern sources list the end of principal photography as late as Apr 1979, but the 12 Nov 1979 LAHExam news item reported the end as Mar 1979.

User avatar
Amit Y Ville
Streaming on Twitch from the red room
Posts: 718

Re: The Shining ripped off Amityville Horror

Post by Amit Y Ville » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:10 am

sherbetbizarre wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:03 pm
Amit Y Ville wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:24 am
It's clear that the entire film borrowed the father-goes-mad formula by way of demonic possession, finally culminating in the destruction of his family. Coincidentally with the same weapon used in TAH.
According to this site, which quotes old trade mags...

https://catalog.afi.com/Catalog/moviedetails/67203

...The Shining was filmed between May '78 & March/April '79 - which is before The Amityville Horror movie was even released in July '79!
A 23 May 1978 HR news item stated that filming began in late May; however, an 18 Nov 1978 Screen International production chart and a 22 Nov 1978 Var news item reported that principal photography was in its twenty-eighth and twenty-ninth weeks, implying that filming began in early May.
Some modern sources list the end of principal photography as late as Apr 1979, but the 12 Nov 1979 LAHExam news item reported the end as Mar 1979.
You'd have something if this wasn't a true story that happened many years prior 8-)
Had to have high, high hopes for a living - Panic! At The Disco

User avatar
DC Fan
Amityville Addict
Posts: 373

Re: The Shining ripped off Amityville Horror

Post by DC Fan » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:55 pm

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:29 am
More fuel to the fire. This took me like 3 seconds to find.

This is really a fishing expedition with stuff that is either meaningless or outright false.

A Danny in both movies? Not really because the AH made him Greg but who cares?

Both movies based and books and later both books made into movies. One disguised as two. The same can be said about the Legend of Hell House.

Both based on true events? No. The Shining is not a story of a horror writer on vacation there with his wife. Better to stick with inspiration. The AH was not based on any event in Jay Anson's life.

Both have an "imaginary friend"? No. Jodie later appears to Kathy while Tony only appears to Danny.

And this guy states right from the start in his video that he does not wish to imply anything like what Amit Y Ville is trying to tell us.

User avatar
Amit Y Ville
Streaming on Twitch from the red room
Posts: 718

Re: The Shining ripped off Amityville Horror

Post by Amit Y Ville » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:41 pm

DC Fan wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:55 pm
Amit Y Ville wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:29 am
More fuel to the fire. This took me like 3 seconds to find.

This is really a fishing expedition with stuff that is either meaningless or outright false.

A Danny in both movies? Not really because the AH made him Greg but who cares?

Both movies based and books and later both books made into movies. One disguised as two. The same can be said about the Legend of Hell House.

Both based on true events? No. The Shining is not a story of a horror writer on vacation there with his wife. Better to stick with inspiration. The AH was not based on any event in Jay Anson's life.

Both have an "imaginary friend"? No. Jodie later appears to Kathy while Tony only appears to Danny.

And this guy states right from the start in his video that he does not wish to imply anything like what Amit Y Ville is trying to tell us.
This is part of Youtube creation, remaining impartial so the viewer can make their own opinion.

Actually most of those arguments in his videi are facts. Danny was in TAH. And King is notorious for borrowing from other books and movies. Its not a big revelation but needs pointing out he did again here. 8-)
Had to have high, high hopes for a living - Panic! At The Disco

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9868
Contact:

Re: The Shining ripped off Amityville Horror

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:41 pm

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:10 am
sherbetbizarre wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:03 pm
...The Shining was filmed between May '78 & March/April '79 - which is before The Amityville Horror movie was even released in July '79!
You'd have something if this wasn't a true story that happened many years prior 8-)
But George with an axe is unique to the movie, no?

User avatar
Matt9290
Oh My Goodness
Posts: 535
Location: UK

Re: The Shining ripped off Amityville Horror

Post by Matt9290 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:11 pm

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:53 pm
I had a friend try to argue with me that The Shining is an amazing movie.
I don't believe it - you 'had a friend'
I wish I had the nerve not to tip...

User avatar
DC Fan
Amityville Addict
Posts: 373

Re: The Shining ripped off Amityville Horror

Post by DC Fan » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:30 pm

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:41 pm
Danny was in TAH. And King is notorious for borrowing from other books and movies.
Go over again Sherb's post containing publication dates. The Shining before both the TAH book and movie. Even if it could be proven that Kubrik did, Stephen King did not borrow from anything here.

User avatar
Amit Y Ville
Streaming on Twitch from the red room
Posts: 718

Re: The Shining ripped off Amityville Horror

Post by Amit Y Ville » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:42 am

DC Fan wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:30 pm
Amit Y Ville wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:41 pm
Danny was in TAH. And King is notorious for borrowing from other books and movies.
Go over again Sherb's post containing publication dates. The Shining before both the TAH book and movie. Even if it could be proven that Kubrik did, Stephen King did not borrow from anything here.
How much do you know about the Lutz's account?

I would say not so much. The Amityville Horror is a true story which took place way before The Shining was written. George & Kathy testified all this in TV and through the media. A little research would go a long way.
Had to have high, high hopes for a living - Panic! At The Disco

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9868
Contact:

Re: The Shining ripped off Amityville Horror

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:02 pm

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:42 am
The Amityville Horror is a true story which took place way before The Shining was written.
The Amityville story broke less than a year before The Shining was published.

But it's possible King borrowed elements while he was writing it.

User avatar
DC Fan
Amityville Addict
Posts: 373

Re: The Shining ripped off Amityville Horror

Post by DC Fan » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:25 pm

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:42 am
DC Fan wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:30 pm
Amit Y Ville wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:41 pm
Danny was in TAH. And King is notorious for borrowing from other books and movies.
Go over again Sherb's post containing publication dates. The Shining before both the TAH book and movie. Even if it could be proven that Kubrik did, Stephen King did not borrow from anything here.
How much do you know about the Lutz's account?

I would say not so much. The Amityville Horror is a true story which took place way before The Shining was written. George & Kathy testified all this in TV and through the media. A little research would go a long way.
First of all the fact that the events of the AH happened before publication of King's book does not mean that King ripped off any of it. He might have seen an article or two, maybe. There is no evidence he knew any of it.

And even if he did know what was available at the time, Sherb has pointed out that there is no axe in Anson's book. There was no axe in early articles either. The movie makers brought in the axe and the whole psycho-dad element.

How much do you know about the Lutz's account? I would say not so much. George objected to the psycho-dad element as one of the defamation bases of his lawsuit against makers of the re-make and, has stated in interviews that the 1979 movie is a fiction. Yes a little research goes a long way and you should try it sometime.

User avatar
devilbustedinct
Walking the Burning Fence
Posts: 720
Contact:

Re: The Shining ripped off Amityville Horror

Post by devilbustedinct » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:54 pm

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:42 am

How much do you know about the Lutz's account?

I would say not so much. The Amityville Horror is a true story which took place way before The Shining was written. George & Kathy testified all this in TV and through the media. A little research would go a long way.
As a lurking troll (so you don’t have to call me one), that has to be the funniest damn thing I’ve read all week. Cheers to this ridiculous thread for the laughs.

User avatar
Victor_Pascow
Amityville Member
Posts: 52
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: The Shining ripped off Amityville Horror

Post by Victor_Pascow » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:25 am

I love this thread so much. Almost as hilarious as the Panic at the Disco post.

But no...seriously...The Shining is an outstanding bit of cinema visually, sonically and creatively. Don't get me wrong I love the AH movie as much but not for it's cinema craftsmanship purely for cheap thrills horror and OTT circumstances. Campfire storytelling at best.

User avatar
Amit Y Ville
Streaming on Twitch from the red room
Posts: 718

Re: The Shining ripped off Amityville Horror

Post by Amit Y Ville » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:32 pm

Victor_Pascow wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:25 am
I love this thread so much. Almost as hilarious as the Panic at the Disco post.

But no...seriously...The Shining is an outstanding bit of cinema visually, sonically and creatively. Don't get me wrong I love the AH movie as much but not for it's cinema craftsmanship purely for cheap thrills horror and OTT circumstances. Campfire storytelling at best.
Sure dude. The murders and the Lutz's passing the lie detector tests, all fabricated. Now kids are talking about that like its REAL.
:fp:
Had to have high, high hopes for a living - Panic! At The Disco

Post Reply