The Shining ripped off Amityville Horror

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
Brooke Forrester
Amityville Addict

Re: The Shining ripped off Amityville Horror

Post by Brooke Forrester » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:30 pm

It was actually a croquet mallet that was the weapon Jack tried to kill the family with in the book.

And I thought George wasn’t supposed to be truly trying to kill the family in the original movie. It appeared that way to Kathy but I thought when he saw Jodie in the window, he stormed into the house wanting to attack Jodie. He had seen it in Amy’s room (I imagine as that’s how it was in the book), then I thought he was yelling for Amy because he thought she was in danger.

He did try to kill Kathy but he didn’t recognize her because she was supposed to have changed into the hag, that’s why her face was so wrinkled, but they didn’t do a good job with it like in the book because the hair is the same.

I didn’t think he was actually supposed to be possessed like in the remake.

DC Fan
Amityville Addict

Post by DC Fan » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:47 am

Brooke Forrester wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:30 pm
It was actually a croquet mallet that was the weapon Jack tried to kill the family with in the book.

And I thought George wasn’t supposed to be truly trying to kill the family in the original movie. It appeared that way to Kathy but I thought when he saw Jodie in the window, he stormed into the house wanting to attack Jodie. He had seen it in Amy’s room (I imagine as that’s how it was in the book), then I thought he was yelling for Amy because he thought she was in danger.

He did try to kill Kathy but he didn’t recognize her because she was supposed to have changed into the hag, that’s why her face was so wrinkled, but they didn’t do a good job with it like in the book because the hair is the same.

James Brolin in the movie was over time getting crabbier and more temperamental, as well as developing a more intimate relationship with his axe. This is why I continue to see the AH movie as a residential version of the Shining.

I think at times Amit-Y-Ville is here confusing the books and movies as being the same things created by the same people. If you keep these four different entities separate, it becomes easy to see the AH movie as a rip off of the Shining book that was popular in bookstores at that time.

Amit Y Ville
Streaming on Twitch from the red room

Post by Amit Y Ville » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:02 am

DC Fan wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:47 am
Brooke Forrester wrote:

James Brolin in the movie was over time getting crabbier and more temperamental, as well as developing a more intimate relationship with his axe. This is why I continue to see the AH movie as a residential version of the Shining.

I think at times Amit-Y-Ville is here confusing the books and movies as being the same things created by the same people. If you keep these four different entities separate, it becomes easy to see the AH movie as a rip off of the Shining book that was popular in bookstores at that time.
TAH was written before The Shining before either were novels, its a story in the media, so its actually hilarious someone would argue the contrary. :lol:

One or two examples aside, there's too many similarities overall. And I do believe axes were used in films way before the 70's.
Had to have high, high hopes for a living - Panic! At The Disco

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:12 am

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:02 am
TAH was written before The Shining before either were novels, its a story in the media, so its actually hilarious someone would argue the contrary. :lol:
Your original example in your first post was -
Jack gets possessed by a spirit, and slowly turns on his family and tries to kill them with an axe! How obvious can you get?!
When did that become part of The Amityville Horror before Anson's book?

Victor_Pascow
Amityville Member

Post by Victor_Pascow » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:49 pm

Stephen King stayed at the Stanley Hotel, Oct 30th 1974 which was the direct & main inspiration of The Shining based on his experiences there and his battle with alcoholism.

Even before 1974 King also had a sub-story called 'Darkshine' about a psychic boy. It's always a psychic child with him ha!

After merging the two together and some weird experiences in the hotel he came up with most of the story there and then from what I have read and watched.

So before the murders at Amityville, before the alleged haunting and before the TAH movie.

Case closed!

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:26 pm

Did his book specifically use an Indian Burial Ground?

DC Fan
Amityville Addict

Post by DC Fan » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:13 pm

Amit Y Ville wrote:
DC Fan wrote:

One or two examples aside, there's too many similarities overall. And I do believe axes were used in films way before the 70's.
This demonstrates your problem with understanding the existence of books and movies as separate entities. I clearly stated the position that the AH MOVIE was a rip off the Shining BOOK and you go off again with the AH story or AH BOOK coming before the Shining BOOK. The AH Movie did come after the Shining BOOK. The AH movie script was not written before the Shining book, was not written by Anson or Lutz and did not faithfully follow Anson's book.

With 2 books and 2 movies I count 4 entities, not 2, which all came out on 4 separate occasions and were the creation of 4 separate individuals or groups.

DC Fan
Amityville Addict

Post by DC Fan » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:48 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:26 pm
I've read the book several times and don't recall any reference to an Indian burial ground. However even if I'm just not remembering some small reference, the source of the evil in the Shining is not Indians but rather all times being one, as explained by Tony. That is why it is true what Grady tells Jack that he has always been the caretaker and that he should know because he was hired at the same time. Kubrick represents this in the movie by putting Jack in the old photograph on the wall at the end. In the Four Past Midnight collection, King would more explicitly deal with his idea of time being a slippery thing. By contrast, to some extent, the AH movie made the Indian burial ground the source of the evil.

Brooke Forrester
Amityville Addict

Post by Brooke Forrester » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:41 pm

I too can’t remember if an Indian burial ground was mentioned in the book, but I don’t think so. I remember that ther was someone killed during the construction of the hotel (I think...) in like 1909 or whenever it was started, that may have been alluding to part of the problem.

The Overlook had a lot of bad things happen in it over time which contributed to the evil.

The book is certainly worth reading if you like a good book.

Brooke Forrester
Amityville Addict

Post by Brooke Forrester » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:46 pm

DC Fan wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:48 pm
sherbetbizarre wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:26 pm
I've read the book several times and don't recall any reference to an Indian burial ground. However even if I'm just not remembering some small reference, the source of the evil in the Shining is not Indians but rather all times being one, as explained by Tony. That is why it is true what Grady tells Jack that he has always been the caretaker and that he should know because he was hired at the same time. Kubrick represents this in the movie by putting Jack in the old photograph on the wall at the end. In the Four Past Midnight collection, King would more explicitly deal with his idea of time being a slippery thing. By contrast, to some extent, the AH movie made the Indian burial ground the source of the evil.
The movie made the Indian burial ground and John Ketcham the problem, plus saying the well was the gateway to Hell. I think they got that part from the book, from the medium saying the spirits were coming from the well under the porch, though she never went so far as to call it a passage to Hell. I guess you could view it that way though if you assume that Hell is under the earth and the spirits are demonic.

The book says the Indians weren’t buried there but “enclosed” there. The movie makes mention of the enclosure but still implies they’re buried there.

And Holzer believed they were or at least one was, a special Chief, and this was given as the reason in Amityville 2: The Possession (along with demons again).

Amit Y Ville

Post by Amit Y Ville » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:41 am

DC Fan wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:13 pm
Amit Y Ville wrote:
DC Fan wrote:

This demonstrates your problem with understanding the existence of books and movies as separate entities. I clearly stated the position that the AH MOVIE was a rip off the Shining BOOK and you go off again with the AH story or AH BOOK coming before the Shining BOOK. The AH Movie did come after the Shining BOOK. The AH movie script was not written before the Shining book, was not written by Anson or Lutz and did not faithfully follow Anson's book.

With 2 books and 2 movies I count 4 entities, not 2, which all came out on 4 separate occasions and were the creation of 4 separate individuals or groups.
Why do you seem to think that a real life story has to be written in novel form before we can say it happened? It's not good logic.

DC Fan
Amityville Addict

Post by DC Fan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:36 am

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:41 am
Why do you seem to think that a real life story has to be written in novel form before we can say it happened? It's not good logic.
I don't think that and never implied it. What I'm saying is that the AH movie of 1979, officially based on Anson's book, also borrows from Stephen King's book that was on sale for a couple years before the film was made. And Stephen King cannot be the borrower because the psycho dad elements were introduced into the AH by the movie writers in 1979 and not earlier by Anson or any Lutz.

Amit Y Ville

Post by Amit Y Ville » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:07 pm

DC Fan wrote:
Brooke Forrester wrote:

You're so wrong, and you know it. Continue to ignore the truth, doesn't bother me.

Even in the Good Housekeeping article, George states he could kill, feeling the anger of Defeo.

http://www.amityvillefaq.com/research/1 ... LDER/5.jpg

From now on you will be also ignored.

DC Fan
Amityville Addict

Post by DC Fan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:41 pm

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:07 pm
From now on you will be also ignored.
Good. I might suggest you go to your user control panel and under the friends and foes tab mark me as a foe.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:08 pm

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Even in the Good Housekeeping article, George states he could kill, feeling the anger of Defeo.
Good Housekeeping was still published after the Stephen King book.

Amit Y Ville

Post by Amit Y Ville » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:47 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:08 pm
Amit Y Ville wrote:
I have it that GH was published in March 1977 for the April edition. Shining was published end of Jan.

That leaves what, a month and a half for George to take inspiration from it. That's taking into account the interview was probably happening a lot earlier and could have taken them a while to print.

Was GH the first time they broke the story to the media?

believer
Amityville Member

Post by believer » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:08 pm

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:47 pm
sherbetbizarre wrote:
Amit Y Ville wrote:
I have it that GH was published in March 1977 for the April edition. Shining was published end of Jan.

That leaves what, a month and a half for George to take inspiration from it. That's taking into account the interview was probably happening a lot earlier and could have taken them a while to print.

Amit Y Ville....

First to answer your question if Good Housekeeping was the first time they broke the story to the media....

This article was published February 14, 1976....but since there is no date on the article itself, please note the article about Kaplan in the photo below WHICH is dated February 20, 1976.....ELEVEN MONTHS PRIOR TO THE SHINING BEING PUBLISHED.

But more to my point....

You started this thread claiming that Stephen King (via The Shining) ripped off The Amityville Horror. And now in your most recent reply, you state that....
Amit Y Ville wrote:

That leaves what, a month and a half for George to take inspiration from it.
It appears that you are now stating that George ripped off The Shining.

Damn.....you flip flop more than Osuna!!!

I can't figure out if you are here just to troll people or you're just really that stupid.

Amit Y Ville

Post by Amit Y Ville » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:00 am

believer wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:08 pm
Amit Y Ville wrote:
sherbetbizarre wrote:

Amit Y Ville....

First to answer your question if Good Housekeeping was the first time they broke the story to the media....

This article was published February 14, 1976....but since there is no date on the article itself, please note the article about Kaplan in the photo below WHICH is dated February 20, 1976.....ELEVEN MONTHS PRIOR TO THE SHINING BEING PUBLISHED.

But more to my point....

You started this thread claiming that Stephen King (via The Shining) ripped off The Amityville Horror. And now in your most recent reply, you state that....
Amit Y Ville wrote:

That leaves what, a month and a half for George to take inspiration from it.
It appears that you are now stating that George ripped off The Shining.

Damn.....you flip flop more than Osuna!!!

I can't figure out if you are here just to troll people or you're just really that stupid.
If you think George read The Shining and took any inspiration in 90 days you would need to ask yourself that question, Belieber.

believer
Amityville Member

Post by believer » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:48 am

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:00 am
believer wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:08 pm

If you think George read The Shining and took any inspiration in 90 days you would need to ask yourself that question, Belieber.
Asshat.....what the hell are you talking about 90 days and George reading The Shining and inspiration??

The Shining was published on January 28, 1977.

The Amityville story went public February 14, 1976....eleven months prior to The Shining being published. How the hell is George getting any inspiration when The Shining eleven months after the Lutz's went public???

Plus....you still haven't answered my questions.

You started this thread claiming that The Shining ripped off The Amityville Horror and now you're claiming George ripped off The Shining. Which is it, Mr. Osuna??? You can't have it both ways.

BTW....after reading all of your :) silly dilly :) posts.....I've came to the conclusion that.... A. You are a troll and B. You are stupid....which actually answers one of my questions.

Please carry on with your retarded theories and posts.

Victor_Pascow
Amityville Member

Post by Victor_Pascow » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:58 pm

Do I have to spell it out again?

>>>

Stephen King stayed at the Stanley Hotel, Oct 30th 1974 which was the direct & main inspiration of The Shining based on his experiences there and his battle with alcoholism.

Even before 1974 King also had a sub-story called 'Darkshine' about a psychic boy. It's always a psychic child with him ha!

After merging the two together and some weird experiences in the hotel he came up with most of the story there and then from what I have read and watched.

So before the murders at Amityville, before the alleged haunting and before the TAH movie.

Case closed!

devilbustedinct
Walking the Burning Fence

Post by devilbustedinct » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:30 am

This entire thread should be locked for its stupidity alone. It’s like saying Shakespeare ripped off Tolkien. And then to actually think that a family mass murder committed by a family member is something of a new plot. Even to say King ripped off Lizzy Borden’s case would make more sense. Unfortunately, it appears that some people have forgotten that King has an incredible imagination that has made him one of the most famous and prolific US writers of our generation. I really don’t think he needed to time travel “to rip off,” the Amityville Horror.