What about the Ketchum Myth

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics

What about the Ketchum Myth

Postby TheGitch » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:56 am

Has there any truth or disproof of what happed with reverend Ketchum? Was the house truly built on the grounds of his 'hospital'? Are there pictures of this at all? Thanks in advace guys, from Rich "The Giitch" (Newbie)
I have to know what the hell went on there.
TheGitch
Amityville Member

Postby tallman » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:59 am

hasnt been proven or disproven, but the idea is unlikely
and a child shall lead them

My horror movie Forum
tallman
and a child shall lead them

Postby Howard64 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:07 pm

Hiya Gitch:)

The idea that the house was built on some hospital of a reverend ketcham, is false. There was a Ketcham in the 1600's but not in the sense the remake portrayed.

Many of the other claims of a burial ground or something have not been proven. Though many theories are floating around.

Hope this helps:)
" A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of
the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

BOGUS

Postby LisaMarie » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:07 pm

Dear friend:

That whole business of "Rev. Ketcham" was invented by the filmmakers. They pirated that idea from 1) Poltergeist 2 (Henry Kane), 2) Jeepers Creepers (note the same outfit on their Ketcham & the Monster) and 3) My article posted to the main site.

There was a myth in the original legends surrounding the Lutzes case of a man named John Ketcham who was a witch. Drummed out of Salem for his craft. And that he later took up residence in Amityville to continue his black magic. This is touched on a bit in the History's Mysteries episodes.

Here's the article I wrote dealing with the real myth:
http://www.amityvillehorror.com/articles/ketcham.htm
LisaMarie
Amityville Addict

Postby OldSoul70 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:13 pm

The real ketchum in the amityville area was a guy who helped build some things in the town, and that is why one of the streets in the area is named after him, he wasnt the bad guy.
OldSoul70
Amityville Addict

that ketcham

Postby LisaMarie » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:35 pm

The Ketcham Avenue near the house - that I think Old Soul is talking about - is Zebulon Ketcham. He hosted George Washington way back when...
LisaMarie
Amityville Addict

Ketchams from Salem

Postby suffolk » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:44 pm

THere was a man called John Ketcham that at one time owned the land the house is now. The Ketchams were Puritans that came from the Salem Area. Being that the Ketchams were Puritans from Salem, it made a nice addition to the story.

THe person who wrote the recent Amityville movie made the character Ketcham a bad guy because in his words he wanted to "Stick it to the white man." So he defamed Christians by making the bad guy a Christian. This from someone from a people that runs a so called anti-defamation organization.
suffolk
Amityville Addict

Postby Pit » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:28 pm

OldSoul70 wrote:The real ketchum in the amityville area was a guy who helped build some things in the town, and that is why one of the streets in the area is named after him, he wasnt the bad guy.

Yeah, I remember that street, I think it's somewhere off Merrick by some Chevy Dealer, I think it's pretty close to Serious Comics and Nautilus Diner.
Pit
Amityvillian

Postby sherbetbizarre » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:18 am

DonJohnson wrote:
OldSoul70 wrote:Yeah, I remember that street, I think it's somewhere off Merrick by some Chevy Dealer, I think it's pretty close to Serious Comics and Nautilus Diner.

The Nautilus is where Ric Osuna has his Amityville meet-ups...
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Re: Ketchams from Salem

Postby LisaMarie » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:25 pm

suffolk wrote:THere was a man called John Ketcham that at one time owned the land the house is now. The Ketchams were Puritans that came from the Salem Area. Being that the Ketchams were Puritans from Salem, it made a nice addition to the story.

Um, nope. That John Ketcham never owned that property. You might want to check out my article.
LisaMarie
Amityville Addict

Re: Ketchams from Salem

Postby LisaMarie » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:49 pm

suffolk wrote:THe person who wrote the recent Amityville movie made the character Ketcham a bad guy because in his words he wanted to "Stick it to the white man." So he defamed Christians by making the bad guy a Christian. This from someone from a people that runs a so called anti-defamation organization.

Do you remember if it was Fuller or Form who said this? Or who runs an anti-defamation org? Because this has my curiosity sparked.

You see, the Ketcham - who's memory they utterly butcher - worked and indeed risked his own life for the rights of women and slaves.

To me, what they did to him in that film is just unAmerican. His name is linked to some heavy weights of American history. In a day when Quakers were being put to death as heretics because they said GOD told them freedom of all people is essential - this man chose to speak out.

His house still stands as a piece of Americana!!! You can visit the Ketcham McAllister house in Jericho.
LisaMarie
Amityville Addict

William Weber said a Joh Ketcham owned the property

Postby suffolk » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:50 pm

The information that the land was at one time owned by "a" John Ketcham came from William Weber. He said he got the info from old land records in Huntington.

There is more than one John Ketcham so it is hard to keep track of them.

Witch Ray Buckland's new book on witchcraft will mention the Hicksite Quakers and the strange things they were up to.

Here is the "Stick it to the white man" quote:
http://www.creature-corner.com/?type=news&id=538
suffolk
Amityville Addict

Postby OldSoul70 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:28 pm

DonJohnson wrote:
OldSoul70 wrote:The real ketchum in the amityville area was a guy who helped build some things in the town, and that is why one of the streets in the area is named after him, he wasnt the bad guy.

Yeah, I remember that street, I think it's somewhere off Merrick by some Chevy Dealer, I think it's pretty close to Serious Comics and Nautilus Diner.

Yep its right before the bend where you hit massapequa.
OldSoul70
Amityville Addict

Postby Lydia » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:51 pm

I found this board because I was curious how accurate the remake was on the history of the property.I had read the book when it first came out & saw the original movie when it first came out.Since it had been so long ago,I didn't remember anything about the history.I recently watched the original movie again & am in the process of reading the book.

Last nite,I read in Anson's book,how George went to the
Amityville Historical Society & found out a few things.It's kind of contradictory how it's worded.

"The next day,the Amityville Historical Society had some interesting information for George,particularly about the very location of his house.It seems the Shinnecock Indians used land on the Amityville River as an enclosure for the sick,mad & dying.These unfortunates were penned up until they died of exposure."

So it says he found interesting info about the very location of his house then just says the Indians used land on the river for their unfortunates.

On the next page,I found this reference to the whole Ketcham theory--"One of the more notorious settlers who came to the newly named Amityville in those days was a John Catchum or Ketcham who had been forced out of Salem,MA,for practicing witchcraft.John set up residence witinn(that's how it's spelled in the book.hehe)500 feet of where George now lived,continuing his alleged devil worship/The account also claimed he was buried somewhere on the northeast corner of the property."

So,where did all that come from?Anyone know?My apologies if this has already been talked about here.
Lydia
Amityville Member

Postby BillyCigars » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:32 pm

Hi Lydia,

Welcome to the board :D

Unfortunately, this is all speculation. Some of what Anson wrote was embellished on his part.

There's a good amount of uncertainty that the Shinnecock Indians even inhabited the area (although I suppose they could have BEFORE they were moved to their present-day reservation on the eastern end of Long Island).

I've never bought the whole "John Ketchum kicked out of Salem for being a witch and then continuing his devil worship" thing. With all we now know of the Salem Witch Trials, there wasn't any devil worship going on. It was just mass hysteria brought on by 3 little girls who lied. Pretty soon, just about everyone in Salem, Christian or not, was accused of witchcraft. That's why I don't buy the idea of a bunch of actual devil worshippers...

But as I say, unless someone can provide birth and death records that show these things beyond a reasonable amount of doubt, it's all just speculation.....
"The old man's still an artist with a Thompson."
BillyCigars
American Psycho

yup

Postby LisaMarie » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:17 pm

What he said...

Billy makes very good points, Lydia. I've done a lot of research on the subject. I've found nothing to indicate the land was ever an actual burial ground of any kind or that it was ever used to house the insane or those thought to be possessed.

HOWEVER...

I did find a lot of information on how the native people handled the small pox virus that white settlers brought with them. They shunned their people because the disease was highly contageous. Their greatest chief ever, Wyandanch (it's spelled many different ways if you want to hunt for data on him on the net...) died of small pox. It's all together possible that this is the great indian chief whom Ethel Johnson-Myers encountered during her trance state in the house.

There were a lot of Ketchams in the area. A great number of John Ketchams. Very popular name. Only one ever lived in Salem. He was a constable. Not a witch. A century or so later another John Ketcham, not at all related to the Ketcham from Salem, lived. He was a Quaker. The Long Island Puritans viewed the Quakers along the exact same line as witches due to their almost trance like way of handling input from God.

He was an abolitionist and a sufferagist. He worked the underground railroad - and helped give women the right to vote. And MGM demonizes him... UnAmerican if you ask me.
LisaMarie
Amityville Addict

Re: William Weber said a Joh Ketcham owned the property

Postby radiomixer » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:30 pm

suffolk wrote:The information that the land was at one time owned by "a" John Ketcham came from William Weber.

Weber has a history of .. err .. invention. Be sure to have a salt-shaker handy when reading anything he claims. :D
radiomixer
Billy's Next Ex-Wife

Return to Amityville Discussion