Amityville Member

The Red Room

Post by boek » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:18 pm

what exactly is the "red room"?

COUNTRY HAM
Amityville Addict

Re: red room?

Post by COUNTRY HAM » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:24 pm

boek wrote:what exactly is the "red room"?
Well, the red room is a small closet like room that The Lutz family found in the Amityville house. It had a blood like odor in it, and was painted with red, supposedly blood.
Harry the Lutz family dog, was horrified by the room.
It was under the basement stairs.

The movies, have made the room bigger than it was, or they added stuff that wasn't true about it.
"HOT DAMN! I'm a COUNTRY HAM!"

boek
Amityville Member

Post by boek » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:42 pm

COUNTRY HAM wrote:
boek wrote:what exactly is the "red room"?
Well, the red room is a small closet like room that The Lutz family found in the Amityville house. It had a blood like odor in it, and was painted with red, supposedly blood.
Harry the Lutz family dog, was horrified by the room.
It was under the basement stairs.

The movies, have made the room bigger than it was, or they added stuff that wasn't true about it.
Ah, I heard it was a "torture room".. I've never seen any of the Amityville movies either, so thanks for telling me what it was. Is it actually a real room, or did the Lutzes just.. you know, make it up?

leathermonkey
Amityville Addict

Post by leathermonkey » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:41 pm

it was a very small, semi hidden space that you would have to crouch down to fit in, in the basement. for some reason it was painted red, and the dog is alleged to have been frightened of it. I dont believe it was on any blueprints either.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:32 am

No, the Lutzes didn't make it up - the red room was really there, but it was blown out of proportion in the book and movies.

The only thing the Lutzes found odd about it was the foul odor and the fact that their dog would cowar away from it (and they claimed their dog was fearless, so it was very uncharacteristic of him). It was not the "passageway to Hell" and it wasn't a giant underground labyrinth where people were tortured.

Later the Lutzes found out that the red room wasn't in the blueprints of the house, so they thought that was another odd thing about it.

Kathy stumbled across it one day when she was arranging the storage space in the basement.

dnddad324
Tedbot is my Canadian beer whore

Post by dnddad324 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:53 pm

Dan the Damned wrote:Later the Lutzes found out that the red room wasn't in the blueprints of the house, so they thought that was another odd thing about it.
Dan,

Did George or Kathy ever mention about it not being on the blueprints? That was what Anson stated in his version but according to house plans (and the hideous Kaplan photo) it was just the space underneath the basement stairs.
[img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/dnddad324.jpg[/img]

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:42 pm

I think they mention this [the red room not being on the blueprints] during the "In Search Of" episode. Next time I view it I'll let you know, unless someone beats me to it...

evanguy2004
I Am Insane

Post by evanguy2004 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:57 am

The thing I remember most from a documentary I seen on the house in the 1970's (In Search Of), the Cromarty's took the camera down in the basement to show the actual "Red Room". What I remember from that documentary was that it wasn't any where near as scary as the movie made it out to be. It was just basically this small room under the stairs that was painted red. What was cool in this documentary was the fact that they showed a side by side video comparison of the movie's portrayal of the red room to the real red room and it was nothing to speak of.

The thing I don't remember was if there was a door on this room or was it covered up by a wall originally when George Lutz discovered it?

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:22 am

Kathy was the one who discovered the red room.

The episode of "In Search Of" featured the Lutzes and the Warrens, not the Cromartys. The Cromartys did a later episode of "That's Incredible."

Here's what Kathy said on "In Search Of":

Kathy: "On one particular afternoon I was going about the house, rearranging furniture and setting up some storage. I went down into the basement. I went over to one bookcase which was on the end, and I moved it. And much to my surprise there was no wall behind it - it was the entrance to this small, brightly painted red room. And I was really surprised and alarmed by the find."

So it would seem that there was no door to the red room. In fact George admits it was a bit misleading to call it a "room" - it was more like a small space - but they didn't know what else to call it.

Yes, the mysterious "red room" took on a life of its own. The Lutzes found it strange because of its smell, because their dog seemed terrified of it, and because it was seemingly added to the house at a later date (not in the house diagrams).

sock_puppet
Amityville Member

Post by sock_puppet » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:06 am

On the old truth board we had this discussion of the red room. Several members pointed out that the red room, Image, was painted the very same color as other things in the house. For example, the cellar stairs. Image If you notice, the uncarpeted edges of the stairs are painted red. Also the radiator cover in Allison's room is painted red. Image

There is no mystery surrounding the color of the 'red' room. It just seems that someone must have found red paint on sale somewhere and bought a sh*tload of it and painted half of the house red.
just because I'm new here doesn't mean I'm a sock puppet

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:31 am

Good point. I must have missed that old thread - new to me.

Decorating tastes sure have changed over the decades...

snifn
Amityville Addict

Post by snifn » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:52 am

dnddad324 wrote:
Dan the Damned wrote:Later the Lutzes found out that the red room wasn't in the blueprints of the house, so they thought that was another odd thing about it.
Dan,

Did George or Kathy ever mention about it not being on the blueprints? That was what Anson stated in his version but according to house plans (and the hideous Kaplan photo) it was just the space underneath the basement stairs.

There was a closet underneath the stairs, and when the wall was butted just right, the paneling moved, and hence the red room
"An army of pigs try to silence my style..off 'em all out that box it's my radio dial"

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:09 am

The redroom is actually in the cupboard behind the wood panelling... the Lutzes knew of the cupboard, but not the red room, which was inside, behind some shelves.

The girl on That's Incredible assumed wrongly they "discovered" the cupboard in the panelling.

immadoubter
Amityville Member

Post by immadoubter » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:35 am

It's likely only a crawl/storage space. Who knows - maybe the kids before (or long before) painted it red and used to play in the room until Mrs Defeo moved the bookshelf in front of it. I hope noboday thinks the storage space under my condo's stairs is some sinister room just because it's not on the blueprints. The fact that this room has been misrepresented by the perps of this story is reason #1001 to doubt the entire credibility of everyone involved.

Millergirl#4
668 - The neighbour of the beast

Post by Millergirl#4 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:33 am

What? There was a redroom? :P

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:02 am

immadoubter wrote:The fact that this room has been misrepresented by the perps of this story is reason #1001 to doubt the entire credibility of everyone involved.
But the Lutzes never misrepresented the red room - others did.

DC Fan
Amityville Addict

Post by DC Fan » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:45 pm

I propose that this room was at one time the bottom of a dumbwaiter shaft.
The evidence/logic based on the virtual tour and "That's Incredible" is as follows. The floorspace must be part of the rectangular cutout of the basement, otherwise the adjacent closets would not extend as far east or north. So why is that floorspace not part of one or the other closet? Watch the videos and see that if the room is blocked off you would wonder why there is not more space there. There is directly above it a closet like structure facing the basement stairs.
I think much of the confusion stems from the fact that this room has only ever been described or shown in terms of two dimensions. If its height does not extend to the same ceiling then this failure to do so would be the thing that should show up on the blueprints. The dumbwaiter hypothesis explains why there is that partial wall that does not extend to the floor, creating an opening to the space it would otherwise block off for no purpose . Also mechanical rooms are often painted in colors that would not be used in a kitchen or bedroom.
We can all agree that it looks weird, maybe weird enough to spook a dog. Maybe then the Defeos, prior to inviting in the bartender of the "Witch's Brew" or a real estate salesman might want to block it off somehow and thus make it a "secret room", although a land surveyor like George Lutz should have wondered why there would not be more space there.
The weakness of my theory is that this dumbwaiter shaft could not extend beyond the first floor, otherwise it would block off the stairway landings or create a gaping hole. Are there other problems that I don't see?

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:02 pm

Welcome. It seems an odd place for a dumbwaiter, doesn't it? Especially if it only goes from the 1st floor to the basement. If such a dumbwaiter was desired to serve food to the basement, you'd think it'd be better to move it slightly over, closer to the kitchen, so that it opens up to the part of the basement containing the pool table (not under the stairs). But I've never lived in a house with a dumbwaiter, so I don't know.

Good guess, but yeah, kinda seems unlikely due to location and lack of access to the upper floors. And why would only that one small opening remain? Was the rest of it blocked off at some point? And if it was blocked off, why not block off everything? Why leave one small part open?

I also wonder, if true, why the Cromartys failed to ever mention this (as part of their "it's just an ordinary house" campaign)?

DC Fan
Amityville Addict

Post by DC Fan » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Thanks for the reply Dan.

Actually I was thinking that a dumbwaiter would be for bringing things up, such as laundry or maybe that sh*tload of red paint that Sock Puppet mentions. I suppose it could even have been a laundry chute, but then again it would be a strange location.

I'm not entirely sure what you have in mind with the blocking off issue but my question for any resident is why not knock out the partial wall, repaint it and let it be part of the adjacent closet.
Anson's book in chapters 9 and 14 claims it was blocked from view by panelling/shelves.

It may go back to 1928 and it is possible that nobody alive knows who built it or why. Patty Commarato explained nothing more than the purpose for which the Defeos used it. Maybe Mrs. Cromarty, despite having lived there as a child, can't provide a full explanation, which I view as an albeit small kink in her "just another ordinary house" armour. Although not sinister, I still think it's weird, it calls for a better explanation than toy storage and a dumbwaiter shaft may be the best we have at this time.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:33 pm

DC Fan wrote:I'm not entirely sure what you have in mind with the blocking off issue...
Well if it was a dumbwaiter shaft, part of that shaft has been blocked off, because the red room only goes up about 3 or 4 feet from the ground in the basement. Plus I would think the opening of a dumbwaiter would be up at waist-level, not flat on the ground -- so that led to my assumption that if it was a dumbwaiter system, it had been blocked off -- both the shaft and the upper part of the opening.

But yeah, it seems a better theory than "a place to store toys." It seems toys would risk getting ruined in there. Seems to me that space might be susceptible to mold and mildew.

To me it seems a good place to hide a safe. Just thinking out loud. Don't know if the DeFeos had a safe down there, or not. Maybe one of the previous owners did?

Miz Kizzle
Amityville Addict

Post by Miz Kizzle » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:59 am

I'm not sure where I read it but didn't one of Allison DeFeo's friends say that the kids used to play there?
It used to be common for people to use up leftover paint instead of throwing it out. I suspect it was motivated by thrift stemming from having lived through the Depression. When my husband and I bought our house the basement walls were painted Pepto Bismol pink, as were some of the closets and the portal to hell behind the furnace (just kidding). The house is old and somebody must have gotten a good deal on ugly pink paint and decided to use every last drop. The same thing probably happened with the DeFeos, although they may have chosen the color themselves. The sixties and seventies were a weird time, home decor-wise.