The Red Room

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Re: red room?

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:09 am

It's not the "the area under the steps" which = the red room - but a smaller room inside that.

OnTheMarkTexas
Amityville Addict

Post by OnTheMarkTexas » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:40 am

sherbetbizarre wrote:It's not the "the area under the steps" which = the red room - but a smaller room inside that.
Yes, I'm completely aware of the location of the "red room" in the DeFeo home ... just offered up a possible explaination for it's existance based on my exprenice with my grandparent's house (which has a very similiar full basement layout). For fun I was going to upload a pic of thier house but I'm not very tech saavy and can't figure out how to attach a pic to this post.

Despite all the things I do and do not believe about this case, I don't feel the "red room" served any sinister purposes.
"Beauty fades but stupidity is for life."
- OnTheMarkTexas

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:51 am

OnTheMarkTexas wrote:Despite all the things I do and do not believe about this case, I don't feel the "red room" served any sinister purposes.
I agree - freaking out Harry the dog seemed to be the worst thing it did!

However, I do believe Kathy when she said she found it behind some removable shleving.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:40 am

OnTheMarkTexas wrote:And doesn't anyone find it odd that during the time the DeFeos lived there, the "red room" was easily accessible and when the Cromartys lived there is was also. Odd that when the Lutzes lived there, they "discovered" it by accident.
sherbetbizarre wrote:It's not the "the area under the steps" which = the red room - but a smaller room inside that.
OnTheMarkTexas wrote:I'm completely aware of the location of the "red room" in the DeFeo home
It doesn't sound like you are (based on how you worded your post). Here's a pic of the red room:

This photo shows the corner of the storage area under the stairs. This storage area was easily accessible for the Lutzes just as it was for the DeFeos and the Cromartys (and surely still is today). However, the "red room" is merely that tiny space in the very back where the wall is painted red. It is not the entire area under the stairs. It does not include the area in this photo where you see the shelves.

See that thermos sitting on the ground in the middle of the photo? That thermos is not in the red room. It is just outside of it (but still inside the storage area under the stairs). And looking at the thermos and the other items on the shelves, you can see just how tiny the red room is. And you can see that if someone stuck a shelf in front of it, you wouldn't necessarily know there is a small "room" behind it.

So why would it be odd that someone moved a small portable shelving unit from one corner to another? You see, your comment regarding that doesn't make sense to us -- so our only explanation would be that you feel the entire storage area under the stairs is "the red room." And that's wrong.

If you watch Patty Comaratto's tour of the red room, she seems to share this same misconception (that the entire storage area is the red room). But no -- it's just the tiny red part in the very back. More of a tiny alcove than a room. A space that can be easily hidden from view...

VintageBoy91
Amityville Addict

Post by VintageBoy91 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:27 pm

Dan the Damned wrote:
OnTheMarkTexas wrote:And doesn't anyone find it odd that during the time the DeFeos lived there, the "red room" was easily accessible and when the Cromartys lived there is was also. Odd that when the Lutzes lived there, they "discovered" it by accident.
OnTheMarkTexas wrote:I'm completely aware of the location of the "red room" in the DeFeo home
It doesn't sound like you are (based on how you worded your post). Here's a pic of the red room:

This photo shows the corner of the storage area under the stairs. This storage area was easily accessible for the Lutzes just as it was for the DeFeos and the Cromartys (and surely still is today). However, the "red room" is merely that tiny space in the very back where the wall is painted red. It is not the entire area under the stairs. It does not include the area in this photo where you see the shelves.

See that thermos sitting on the ground in the middle of the photo? That thermos is not in the red room. It is just outside of it (but still inside the storage area under the stairs). And looking at the thermos and the other items on the shelves, you can see just how tiny the red room is. And you can see that if someone stuck a shelf in front of it, you wouldn't necessarily know there is a small "room" behind it.

So why would it be odd that someone moved a small portable shelving unit from one corner to another? You see, your comment regarding that doesn't make sense to us -- so our only explanation would be that you feel the entire storage area under the stairs is "the red room." And that's wrong.

If you watch Patty Comaratto's tour of the red room, she seems to share this same misconception (that the entire storage area is the red room). But no -- it's just the tiny red part in the very back. More of a tiny alcove than a room. A space that can be easily hidden from view...
Maybe the red room originally was a storage corner for food (for potato sacks etc.).

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:02 pm

Demons don't eat potatoes, silly... ;)

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:10 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:
DC Fan wrote:I do not dispute the idea that the Defeos used it for storage. I just don't consider that an adequate explanation of the thing's history of who built it
When Histories Mysteries were filming in 1999, they came across someone who claimed they built it - for a pre-DeFeo family - as a place to keep plants which needed to grow in a cold place with no sunlight (?) but they couldn't verify this.
Finally found the old quote by Ric when he working for Histories Mysteries. Doesn't mention plants, so maybe that was another theory.
Ric Osuna wrote:(We) found a woman who claims her brother built the red room for Mrs. Riley. However, the brother has never returned my calls. (...) To be honest, I am doubting this is true.

DC Fan
Amityville Addict

Post by DC Fan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:39 pm

Thanx for the follow up, Sherb.

I can see Ric's point in doubting this if the brother won't return calls and the lady won't follow up. The plant hypothesis always made me scratch my head a little anyway because I don't see how that requires a separate room, let alone one that small.

One thing I found interesting is Onthemark's comments of his grandmother's Dutch Colonial. It reminds me of the drawings found in the info section here, where it is labelled as a plumbing chase. This would mean that pipes were hidden from view and could be accessed for servicing when necessary. But what pipes?

Well I guess I'll still stick with my abandoned dumbwaiter shaft theory until someone can explain why else the entrance to the thing should consist of some kind of doggy door.

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:50 am

I remember watching a documentary a few years back on Amityville where an ex friend of the Defeos
claimed that the 'Red Room' (more like a small red alcove/corner than a room to be honest :lol:) was
where the children's toys were kept and that it was painted red because that's the only color of paint
they had on them when they were decorating that small area.

In 'That's Incredible' a friend of Allison Defeo's also says the same thing, that it was a place for toys.

In my old house we had a space under the stairs about the same size and it could fit about a few
kids if we were lucky so I could see this space being used as a play area, but then why would they want
to have such a small area for the kids to play in if they were already storing games in another
(more larger) part of the basement? :think:

As for the origin of the 'red room' - Could it not be possible that it was built to support the stairs
or structure of the basement?
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

DC Fan
Amityville Addict

Post by DC Fan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:36 am

Rokiisun wrote:I remember watching a documentary a few years back on Amityville where an ex friend of the Defeos
claimed that the 'Red Room' (more like a small red alcove/corner than a room to be honest :lol:) was
where the children's toys were kept and that it was painted red because that's the only color of paint
they had on them when they were decorating that small area.

In 'That's Incredible' a friend of Allison Defeo's also says the same thing, that it was a place for toys.

In my old house we had a space under the stairs about the same size and it could fit about a few
kids if we were lucky so I could see this space being used as a play area, but then why would they want
to have such a small area for the kids to play in if they were already storing games in another
(more larger) part of the basement? :think:

As for the origin of the 'red room' - Could it not be possible that it was built to support the stairs
or structure of the basement?
Rokiisun:

You're right about the documentary.

There was available on youtube a video entitled the Amityville Horror: The Real Story that has been since removed because of claims of copyright infringement. I forgot the guy's name but his story is that Defeo Sr. told the kids that they could have the room for that purpose if they paint it. Red just happened to be the colour of paint that the old man gave them.

As for the rest, I'm now wondering if you are not confusing the red room with the entire closet space area under the stairs. If so, please read Dan's postings above. We need to have that distinction drawn because the Lutzes clearly knew about the closet under the stairs, never claimed that the door to it was not there despite what Patty Commarato says on That's Incredible, and found the extra space behind a movable shelf within the walk-in closet.

In terms of support, I don't see where you're going with that. In houses I've lived in, I'm familiar with a patrtially open storage area underneath the stairs without an extra room and with a completly open space under the stairs. A couple uncles had basement stairs that were completly open ( not attached to any side wall ) with open space underneath and only a couple of verticle beams for support. There didn't seem to be structural problem with any of these concepts, although I'll admit that I'm not an engineer. Are you saying that the extra side wall that separates the red room from the other closet space might be needed as a load bearer? Why not then have one in every house?

Victoria Principles
Amityville Maniac

Re: The Red Room

Post by Victoria Principles » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:01 am

Maybe the DeFeo's liked the color red. It was a prominant color for the decor in the crime scene photos.

VintageBoy91
Amityville Addict

Post by VintageBoy91 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:32 pm

Victoria Principles wrote:Maybe the DeFeo's liked the color red. It was a prominant color for the decor in the crime scene photos.
Maybe... but I think red was "hip" in the early 70s. It was modern to have red things (furniture, wallpapers, clothes etc.) Perhaps it was difficult to get things in another color, because everything had to be red back then.

But I agree with you, everything looks red in the crime scene photos. :)
The DeFeo portraits have also a lot of red.

Some people say too much red in a room or a house makes aggressive. :think:

Victoria Principles
Amityville Maniac

Post by Victoria Principles » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:42 pm

VintageBoy91 wrote:
Victoria Principles wrote:Maybe the DeFeo's liked the color red. It was a prominant color for the decor in the crime scene photos.
Maybe... but I think red was "hip" in the early 70s. It was modern to have red things (furniture, wallpapers, clothes etc.) Perhaps it was difficult to get things in another color, because everything had to be red back then.

But I agree with you, everything looks red in the crime scene photos. :)
The DeFeo portraits have also a lot of red.

Some people say too much red in a room or a house makes aggressive. :think:
Red is an aggressive color. Studies have shown people who drive red cars get into more accidents. Even this website is red.

I doubt that all that red in the house had anything to do with the murders. More of the family dynamics, mental illness, and perhaps paranormal issues had more to do with the murders than the color of anything.

DC Fan
Amityville Addict

Post by DC Fan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:57 pm

Red was a popular colour for cars back then, especially for cool sports cars, although lately silver metallic rules. Defeo worked at a car dealership. Maybe that led him to think or unconsciously presume that red was just a good colour, or at least to not think of it as weird.

Victoria Principles
Amityville Maniac

Post by Victoria Principles » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:20 pm

DC Fan wrote:Red was a popular colour for cars back then, especially for cool sports cars, although lately silver metallic rules. Defeo worked at a car dealership. Maybe that led him to think or unconsciously presume that red was just a good colour, or at least to not think of it as weird.
DeFeo worked for a Buick dealership, a semi-luxery brand. Probably not a lot of red cars for that brand.

Even today, one of the most popular colors of sports cars are red. Many Ferraris are red.

DC Fan
Amityville Addict

Post by DC Fan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:36 pm

Victoria Principles wrote:
DC Fan wrote:Red was a popular colour for cars back then, especially for cool sports cars, although lately silver metallic rules. Defeo worked at a car dealership. Maybe that led him to think or unconsciously presume that red was just a good colour, or at least to not think of it as weird.
DeFeo worked for a Buick dealership, a semi-luxery brand. Probably not a lot of red cars for that brand.
Sure the new car sales were Buicks. I would imagine they would service or take as a trade in almost any kind of vehicle. They probably got more than a few sportier camaros, mustangs, etc., from young families needing to get a sedan that would still be nice but cheaper than the Cadillac.

Julabard
how strange...

Post by Julabard » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:37 am

I think the red room is a physical metaphor for the evils that we do. It's manifestation is clearly a gateway for demons/indian spirits.
Okay, I see you there! There's a 12 gauge shotgun, waitin' for anybody trespassin'!

Victoria Principles
Amityville Maniac

Post by Victoria Principles » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:12 am

Julabard wrote:I think the red room is a physical metaphor for the evils that we do. It's manifestation is clearly a gateway for demons/indian spirits.
Actually the Red Room was actually a room that was painted red, as can be seen in the photo above. Whether it really was the portal to hell is up to debate.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:54 am

Victoria Principles wrote:Whether it really was the portal to hell is up to debate.
Not in my mind. The only ones claiming such are the Hollywood screenwriters, not the Lutzes (or anyone else that I can think of).

Victoria Principles
Amityville Maniac

Post by Victoria Principles » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:12 pm

Dan the Damned wrote:
Victoria Principles wrote:Whether it really was the portal to hell is up to debate.
Not in my mind. The only ones claiming such are the Hollywood screenwriters, not the Lutzes (or anyone else that I can think of).
I thought it was the Warrens who made the original claim that the red room was the portal to hell.

Victoria Principles
Amityville Maniac

Post by Victoria Principles » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:21 pm

I also read somewhere that the red room no longer exists, that Mr. Wilson took out the walls while refurbishing the basement.