Lorraine Warren's Pending Lawsuit

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
devilbustedinct
Walking the Burning Fence

Lorraine Warren's Pending Lawsuit

Post by devilbustedinct » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:11 pm

Here is the press release as given to the AP.

For Immediate Release

Man Sues The Devil in Connecticut author, agency and demonologist

DANBURY, CT: A major lawsuit is pending against famous ghost-buster Lorraine Warren of Monroe, Connecticut for her involvement in the authoring of the book, The Devil in Connecticut, published by Bantam Books in 1983. The book details the supposed case of demonic possession which lead to the much publicized “demon murder” stabbing death of forty-year old Alan Bono by nineteen year old Arne Cheyenne Johnson in Brookfield, Connecticut in 1981. Carl Glatzel Jr. and David Glatzel of Brookfield are suing Warren, along with author Gerald Brittle, IUniverse.com, the agency who recently republished the book, and the William Morris Agency of New York, who represents both Warren and Brittle. Other charges and defendants are expected to be added. According to Glatzel’s attorney, Greg T. Nolan of Febbroriello, Conti, and Levy law firm of Torrington, Connecticut, both Warren, Brittle, and their agencies are facing several charges including invasion of the right to privacy, libel, and intentional affliction of emotional distress for the supposed false information contained in the book, The Devil in Connecticut, which was reprinted by IUniverse.com in 2006 without the Glatzel’s knowledge or consent.

According to Carl Glatzel Jr., who was sixteen at the time, and other members of his family, his younger brother David suffered from a mental illness that Lorraine Warren and her late husband, Ed, who died in August of 2006, diagnosed as “demonic possession.” The Roman Catholic Church, under advice and consult of the Warrens and Father Francis Virgulak, attempted three minor rites of exorcism on the young boy in 1980 to rid him of “forty-two demons,” all of which were failures. The Warrens also claimed that Carl Jr. was ‘oppressed by demons’ and that a ‘Satanic death curse’ was placed on both the Glatzel boys.

On February 16, 1981, an acquaintance of the Glatzel family, Arne Cheyenne Johnson, stabbed his landlord, forty-year old Alan Bono to death. His attorney, Martin J. Minella of Waterbury, Connecticut, attempted to enter an unprecedented plea of “not guilty by virtue of demonic possession” into the Danbury Superior Court. Minella stated that Johnson, who was the boyfriend of Debbie Glatzel, David’s older sister, had also become possessed as a direct result of challenging the demons to “take him on” during the minor rites of exorcism in which he assisted, and therefore was not responsible for the crime which took place in front of a dog grooming kennel then located on Federal Road in Brookfield. Acting judge, Robert J. Callahan rejected the plea, stating there was no such defense, and that it would be “irrelative and unscientific” to allow it as such. Minella later changed his tactic, claiming Johnson acted in self-defense instead. Johnson, after a much-publicized trial, was found guilty of first-degree manslaughter and served five years in prison. While the Arch Diocese of Bridgeport acknowledged involvement in the case at the time, they have since remained silent on the matter.

Ed and Lorraine Warren, who are devout Catholics, received much publicity in the late 70s from their involvement in “The Amityville Horror” case, which many claim to have been a hoax, and have since published nine books about their paranormal adventures and investigations. Glatzel openly challenges the Warren’s credibility, stating that, “My brother was never possessed. He, along with my family, was manipulated and exploited, something the Warrens were very good at, and along with their author, Gerald Brittle, they concocted a phony story about demons in an attempt to get rich and famous at our expense.” Glatzel also states, “The Warrens told my family numerous times that we would be millionaires and the book would help get my sister’s boyfriend, Arne, out of jail. I knew from day one it was a lie, but as a child, there was nothing I could really do about it.”

It wasn’t until a friend of Glatzel’s recently brought to his attention that the book, The Devil in Connecticut, was not only back in print, but was also being planned as a major motion picture by a production company in Hollywood who has since had to halt production due to internal conflicts. “Reluctantly, I read the book for the first time in twenty-seven years and was simply mummified. How could anyone believe this?” he asked. “Many instances in the book are complete lies, and I appear as the villain in the book simply because I had a sane voice and knew that the story was false since the beginning. There were no demons. It was all about money. There is no way there will be a movie about me and my family based on these lies either. It took me twenty seven years to get where I am today and there is no way I am putting that in jeopardy by allowing this to happen all over again.” Glatzel goes on to say, “I had to drop out of school in tenth grade due to the ridicule and negative attention the story brought and was unable to further my education. I had to learn to deal with ridicule and people being afraid of me. I had to learn to fight to protect myself and my younger brothers. I finally understood why I lost friends, relationships, business opportunities, and ultimately had to be ashamed of my own family name based upon a lie.” Upon finding out that Warren has been lecturing about his family for over two decades, has had their story written up in several of her books, and has been selling a video about his family, prompted him to see a lawyer. “I am not in the business of suing people,” he said from his parent’s home in Brookfield, “but enough is enough and it about time people knew the truth and stop making money off a malicious lie. I want to put this both behind me and my brother David for good. I just hope it lets other people like us know they are not alone and maybe they will come forward as well and name fraud for what it is and know there is somewhere they can get help.”

Glatzel, the owner of a construction company, along with his brother David, are currently writing a book, entitled Alone Through The Valley where they plan to expose the Warrens as charlatans and tell what really happened in the summer of 1980 and its sad aftermath. They are currently still accepting offers from publishers and hopes their story will bring more people who were victims of this type of fraud and exploitation forward. He also hopes to start a non-profit agency named “The Glatzel Foundation,” which would be a nationwide network of qualified therapists and doctors that help people deal with the unusual type of trauma Carl and his brother faced over a quarter century ago (for more information please email alonethroughthevalleythebook@yahoo.com)

Despite the past, Carl and David remain optimistic about the future, “Put simply, they robbed us of our childhood and our education, something we can never get back. It’s not a matter of vengeance, but justice, and I think it’s important that people know the truth. If we can show that to them, it may save others the grief and hardship we faced. Nobody should have to go through what we did. It ruined us as a family.” The pending lawsuit was filed with the Danbury Superior Court, the same town in which Arne Cheyenne Johnson was convicted of manslaughter in over twenty-six years ago.

OK Lorraine, time to dig up all that evidence you have been hiding as "proof of the demonic" for decades and tell it the judge. She should be served by the end of this week.

Stay tuned.

PS Evanguy, this is my million dollar question for Lorraine in case you hadn't figured it out.
Last edited by devilbustedinct on Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:33 pm

So what's the exact question?

quotestheraven
Amityville Addict

Post by quotestheraven » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:06 pm

Isn't there a statute of limitations on this sort of thing? I would think for this to go anywhere, they would have had to file the suit after the book was originally published.
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/ravensez/Page-1.jpg[/img]

devilbustedinct

Post by devilbustedinct » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:48 pm

quotestheraven wrote:Isn't there a statute of limitations on this sort of thing? I would think for this to go anywhere, they would have had to file the suit after the book was originally published.
I'm not a lawyer, but I’ve spent six months working with them on this case and I still learn something new everyday. Yes, there is a time limit where you can file. However, you have to remember several important things about the law:

1) People have rights. If they choose to live in the spotlight they sacrifice some of those rights. As a child, a minor, you have rights, but you have no control over them at all. It is all the responsibility of the parents, guardians, or the State to defend them. Carl and David Glatzel had no rights, no say, and no input to what happened to them in 1980 which has been grossly distorted, misunderstood, and exploited.

2) Nobody has the right to write about you, unless you area public figure, in a defamatory way that causes emotional and financial hardship. This is our right to privacy. It’s libel when you write it and slander when you say it, even if it’s true. This is your right to privacy. If you however sign you life rights away for a book or movie they can write whatever they want about you, true or not. They can make up your history,your future, and things you say and there is not a damn thing you can do about it because of your Johnny Hancock.

3) Carl Jr. and David were minors (15 and 11) when the book contract was signed. No life rights needed…only the signature of the parents or guardians. Carl and Judy Glatzel, along with Mary Johnson, signed their life rights away to the William Morris Agency because Ed and Lorraine told them they would make more money than the Amityville Horror and it could help Arne get out of jail. They were going to be rich! Arne would be free. The signing was just a formality. Judy Glatzel signd because she believed her son was possessed. She also believes that David Copperfield made a plane disappear and they never found the people who were on board, an that David Blaine is possessed by the Devil because he can levitate in the street, and that her own son, Carl Jr., is not only possessed because HE never had an exorcism, but he is really the Devil in disguise and Satan has used his powers to blind me, the police, the doctors, the priests, the experts and anyone else that doesn’t believe what she says. I made a coin disappear for Mrs. Glatzel and she stepped back, silently murmured a prayer, and told me I was possessed and just don’t know it. She is as nice as a lady you would like to meet, except for the fact she has a different take on reality that some would simply call crazy.

Mr. Glatzel, still a hardworking, likeable, no nonsense man with a good sense of humor said one night, “I didn’t give a sh*t about that stupid book then, and I don’t care about it now. I’m just glad I am old and won’t be around much longer to listen to anymore BS about a book, a movie, of the devil. But hell, if you boys can make a few million dollars for yourselves, where do I sign?” To this day, Carl Glatzel Sr. has not read the Devil in Connecticut.

4) The book was released in November 1983. Carl Glatzel was 18 years old and of legal age. They did not have his life rights and the book told malicious lies about a fifteen year old boy, who had no rights. But now he did, but he just ignored it.

5) The book was republished in 2006 by IUniverse.com. Carl and David are not minors any more. Where are their life rights? How could you possibly and justly release a book like the Devil in Connecticut without expecting recourse from the MAIN PEOPLE INVOLVED after you republish the book without their consent?

6) Do you think Carl’s lawyers, who are amongst the best in the state, haven’t done their homework? Do you think they would waste their time if they did not have a case? Maybe you know more than them, but I decline to say I do.

7) Even if David was possessed and Carl was oppressed I am still not impressed by the lack of thought and respect given to those involved.

8) I have over 200 newspaper articles with have them quoting that Ed and Lorraine had evidence that would prove beyond reasonable doubt that not only does possession exist, but would prove both David and Arne were possessed. They never got to show it. I have seen it. I have examined it. All of it…the tapes, letters, articles, documents, and they all pointed to the same thing. There is nothing here paranormal or demonic. It is a revolting display of dysfunction, hysteria, and child abuse. Is there something I am missing. Was it erased? Misplaced? Destroyed by the Beast? We’ll see what the judge and jury have to say, and they don’t try to settle out of court.

9) I don’t think they have a leg to stand on.

10) And personally, whatever the outcome is, I am sure it will be just. And in the worst case scenario we at least gave our best effort to open people’s eyes to what we believe, beyond a shadow of doubt, is the truth.

Oh, and Dan, my million dollar question would be:

What do you say to the pending lawsuit filed against you by Carl and David Glatzel that states he was never possessed and you and Ed exploited their dysfunctional family trying to hit the jackpot with the next best thing after Amityville and in the process you destroyed their education, their future, and the stability of their family...and they never even got 1% of what you promised them? Have you still got the evidence to prove otherwise? What? Oh, I didn't think so, yes, the Devil is indeed the master of deception.

evanguy2004
I Am Insane

Post by evanguy2004 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:57 pm

Lorraine Warren is a living legend!! The best $100.00 I spent all week taking my family and friends tomorrow night to her lecture. I will be sitting front row and with a big smile on my face tomorrow night in case anyone wants to say hi!!

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:48 pm

devilbustedinct wrote:Oh, and Dan, my million dollar question would be:

What do you say to the pending lawsuit filed against you by Carl and David Glatzel that states he was never possessed and you and Ed exploited their dysfunctional family trying to hit the jackpot with the next best thing after Amityville and in the process you destroyed their education, their future, and the stability of their family...and they never even got 1% of what you promised them? Have you still got the evidence to prove otherwise? What? Oh, I didn't think so, yes, the Devil is indeed the master of deception.
LOL! You've been watching those Wally George clips, haven't you?

BTW, what exactly was it that the Warrens promised Carl & David?

devilbustedinct

Post by devilbustedinct » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:18 pm

Dan the Damned wrote:
LOL! You've been watching those Wally George clips, haven't you?

BTW, what exactly was it that the Warrens promised Carl & David?
No, I liked Morton Downey Jr. better.

Carl and David were promised nothing. They were kids. They got nothing. The family was supposed to become millionaires. Their Grand total to date: apx $4,500.00. The kids? Grief, vexation, ridicule, discrimination, humiliation, post traumatic stress syndrome, emotional abuse, physical abuse, paranoia, eating disorders, steroid abuse, and loss of friends and an education. They hit the jackpot, eh?

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:30 pm

I'm sorry for changing the subject, but that's the type of thing I typically tell people when they talk about the Amityville Horror being a hoax. I tell them that writing a book about living in a haunted house is a zillion-to-one shot of making any serious money. If the Lutzes wanted to make money by buying that house, they would have been best off by just living there and letting it increase in value. The idea of creating a phony haunted house story to become rich is ridiculous...

But anyway - back to your case...

So is this the Warrens that said the family would be rich, or was it the people that wrote the book. I can see that the Warrens would be the main subjects of the book (apart from the family), but did they co-author the book, too?

If you answered these questions already, feel free to just post a link to me.

MerchBoi
Official Gay Mascot of Amityville

Post by MerchBoi » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:49 pm

Don't the Warrens usually get approuched by people first? I just find it difficult to think that they would find dysfunctional families and say "hey, we can create this story...". How did they find the family and get involved in the first place without being sought out?
MerchBoi...resident Gay Mascot for Amityville Horror Truth.

"The last chance,
The last dance,
One moment in time.
One song,
Doesn't last that long.
Life turns on a dime.
The wheels of fortune seem to pass you by.
Tomorrow there's a dawn again.
A dream can still be born again.
Take a chance,
While there still is time.
Because life turns on a dime."
-IN MY LIFE

azukoski
Amityville Member

Whats DAVID have to say for himself these days?

Post by azukoski » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:59 pm

Last edited by azukoski on Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillyCigars
American Psycho

Post by BillyCigars » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:05 pm

Devilbustedinct wrote:"...She should be served by the end of this week.

Stay tuned.

PS Evanguy, this is my million dollar question for Lorraine in case you hadn't figured it out."
ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!!
"The old man's still an artist with a Thompson."

MerchBoi

Post by MerchBoi » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:40 pm

I don't know if I've decided on my opinion yet as to which party I'm more inclined to believe (sorry, DBIC) but I find the proceedings fascinating. I thank DBIC for keeping us informed.

I wonder what the local paper in Monroe CT will publish about this one!

"The last chance,
The last dance,
One moment in time.
One song,
Doesn't last that long.
Life turns on a dime.
Take a chance,
-IN MY LIFE

Architect of light 75
Father Bolen's son

Post by Architect of light 75 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:56 am

Hi there.

After reading all your comments I believe it is possible that Lorraine isn't exactly the person to trust the most in the world..

Some make money out of sad things. We should not be a sheep and follow someone before making sure it's not for or by bad intentions.

Hey Devilbustedinct, if Evanguy2004 would ask Lorraine the questions you gave us, it would end up like that :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkjyKDtbCcI

(I know it's another subject but I could not resist..:wink:)

I wish you all a nice day :idea:
:rotate: http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard ... php?t=4373

"[..] It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step."

*Architect Of Light :idea:

evanguy2004
I Am Insane

Post by evanguy2004 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:51 am

I hear you DBIC. You really have a hate jones for Lorraine. I think there must be something here we don't know about. Anyway we are 12 hours away now from the curtain rising and I can't wait to see and hear from this living legend!!

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Re: Lorraine Warren's Pending Lawsuit

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:57 am

devilbustedinct wrote:She should be served by the end of this week.

Stay tuned.

PS Evanguy, this is my million dollar question for Lorraine in case you hadn't figured it out.
Basically ask her "Are you being served?"

And if she flips out, say, "No, no. Are You Being Served? The British Comedy - do you like it?"

BellWitch74
Ruined Doll

Re: Lorraine Warren's Pending Lawsuit

Post by BellWitch74 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:20 am

sherbetbizarre wrote:
devilbustedinct wrote:She should be served by the end of this week.

Stay tuned.

Basically ask her "Are you being served?"

And if she flips out, say, "No, no. Are You Being Served? The British Comedy - do you like it?"
I love that show!!!
Madness starts here.
Malice in Wonderland

BillyCigars
American Psycho

Post by BillyCigars » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:02 pm

Architect of light 75 wrote: Hey Devilbustedinct, if Evanguy2004 would ask Lorraine the questions you gave us, it would end up like that :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkjyKDtbCcI

(I know it's another subject but I could not resist..:wink:)
:
.............................+
sherbetbizarre wrote:Basically ask her "Are you being served?"

.............................=

.............................LMFAO!!!!!!!!!
"The old man's still an artist with a Thompson."

MerchBoi

Post by MerchBoi » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:14 am

...Are you free?

"The last chance,
The last dance,
One moment in time.
One song,
Doesn't last that long.
Life turns on a dime.
Take a chance,
-IN MY LIFE

evanguy2004
I Am Insane

Post by evanguy2004 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:36 am

Devil,

How close are you to this story? Are you one of these people in this story who are sueing Lorraine? Or is your screen name, living in Connecticut and your hate jones on the Warren's just a coinecidence?

devilbustedinct

Post by devilbustedinct » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:17 am

I am very close to this story. I have nothing to do with the lawsuit. I have no grounds to sue anybody. It is not any more of a coincidence that I live in Connecticut and know Carl Glatzel Jr. that it is that the worst case of possession of the twentieth century took place a half hour away from the world's most famous demonologists.

I am not a hater. I do not hate Lorraine Warren or anyone for that matter. I have no gripe against Ed and Lorraine Warren other than I think they are frauds and and I feel gypped for all the money I shelled out for stories "More terrifying than The Exorcist (or Stephen King, depending on the decade) because it's true!"

I work in human services. I work with people with disabilities and their families to help enrich and better their lives. I care about people and their well being. You have to in this profession. I felt after learning the truth about the Warren's and seeing firsthand the damage they can do, I feel a moral obligation to help these people tell the truth. It is not about whether the Devil exists or not, it is about where he did not.

Call me a hater and you define your ignorance for me. If telling the truth about how people can be damaged and killed and exploited by fraud in efforts to help people understand and possibly prevent this type of thing from happening and giving the opportunity to those who have been victims to be heard makes one a hater.....well, insert your own thought here.

So, you have to pay the full admission price of $89.00 to see real ghost footage? Anyone who does not see this as fishy or can't simply see straight through it....you have my sympathy.

CMite
Clavicula Salomonis

Post by CMite » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:12 am

I would've thought we were close to 100 years (or so) past accusing mentally ill adults and children of being possessed by demons. Silly me.