Strange Happenings

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics

Strange Happenings

Postby evanguy2004 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:44 am

I love these kind of stories that happened on the set during the filming of Amityville Horror the Remake! Do you think these strange things really happened or do you think they come up with these stories to create publicity

Spooky Happenings Haunt 'Amityville' Set
By Mike Szymanski
Friday , October 15, 2004
11:10 PM PT

SALEM, WISCONSIN (Zap2it.com) -- It sounds like a Hollywood Halloween story, but strange happenings have plagued the set of the re-make of the "Amityville Horror" being shot on the Illinois-Wisconsin border.
While the film began production, Kathy Lutz, the wife and mother who moved into the haunted house, died suddenly. Then, the land on the lake where the house set was going to be built for the film actually flooded and still remains underwater.

"We were going to build the house, but land it was going to be built on got washed away and sank into the lake, but someone knew of a house on the other side of the lake that had been abandoned for 40 years," says John Pisani, unit publicist for the MGM remake of the 1979 horror movie. "It was a perfect house."

In the lake, a dead body of a fisherman was found but police ruled out anything suspicious. Then, odd things began happening in the house during filming.

"Security people called the sheriff's department because they saw a shadow of someone walking through the house and they stayed there until the police got there, but they found nothing," says Pisani. "That was the first night of shooting at the house."

Surrounded by cornfields, and looming above a lake like the "Psycho" house, the 100-year-old Craftsman style building was abandoned for more than 40 years. The movie, based on a true story about a family who moves into a haunted house for 28 days, stars Melissa George and Ryan Reynolds and is directed by Andrew Douglas. Famous frightening things have plagued other horror films such as "Poltergeist," "Session 9" and "The Exorcist" films, but no one was actually harmed at the "Amityville" set.

"The five weeks at the house really creeps me out," George says to Zap2it.com during a set visit. "It was disturbing, the whole mood of it, there was a lot of rain, blood and strangling. It was very heavy for me, a heavy mood."

Although she says she remains skeptical about ghosts, she has lived as a child in Sydney on property that was built over a cemetery. She says, "There were always strange sounds and stories while we lived there."

George adds, "They say you should only do one horror film in your career, and this is it."
evanguy2004
I Am Insane

Postby evanguy2004 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:55 am

Here is some more cool stuff from the movie:

[color=brown]Were there any real life creepy moments on the “Amityville Horror” set? According to James, a few things happened that had the cast and crew a little freaked out. “The lights in the house went on and off randomly in the middle of the night. That’s pretty scary. It’s just pretty creepy being alone in the house. It was kind of scary because the house was so big and it supposedly had this weird back-story and stuff. So it was kind of a weird experience.”

The filmmakers searched all over the United States to try and find the perfect house to stand-in for 112 Ocean Avenue in Amityville, Long Island. After rain washed away a plot of land they had thought about using just outside of Chicago, the film’s construction coordinator discovered a place in Wisconsin that fit their needs. The "Amityville" crew transformed a decaying 120 year-old structure into the Amityville house, adding a faux front to the house that included the trademark ‘eye’ windows from the original structure.

James heard stories about the history of the house the filmmakers chose to use for the movie, but could never confirm whether they were true or not. “Somebody told me that somebody committed suicide. I know that an old woman died in the house but that wasn’t necessarily scary. She was old. I heard that it used to be Al Capone’s hide-out or something… I heard some weird stuff,” recalled James.

One of the most frequent questions James is asked about “The Amityville Horror” story is why the Lutz family stayed so long while the strange happenings escalated with each passing day. “Everybody says that, ‘Why didn’t they get out of the house right away?’ But it’s a horror movie, you kind of have to stay in the house for awhile.”
[/color]
evanguy2004
I Am Insane

Postby evanguy2004 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:58 am

Like many haunted house movies, The Amityville Horror set had its share of spooky moments.

"I think a lot of people make that stuff up to sell their movie, but there was some weird stuff that happened. A lot of the crew were waking up at 3:15 in the morning which was when all these atrocities in the house took place each time. I think it was a subconscious thing. You read the script and suddenly pop awake at 3:15 in the morning. The real Kathy Lutz died while we were making the movie. There were a few weird things."

Reynolds credited the Amityville house itself with the biggest creep factor.

"They found this house that they sort of retrofitted. It's terrifying. You walk up and it's just upsetting. There's something about the house that's upsetting. There's something about the colors around it, everything was just a little upsetting."
evanguy2004
I Am Insane

Postby Brendan72 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:50 pm

Anything for publicity ... I'm almost ashamed that Melissa George is Australian ...
- Brendan72

"Consideration for others is the basic of a good life, a good society."
- Confucius. Chinese philosopher & reformer (551 BC - 479 BC)
Brendan72
Forest Giant

Postby OldSoul70 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:09 pm

Wait I am confused, I thought an old couple lived in the re-make house??
OldSoul70
Amityville Addict

Postby BellWitch74 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:46 am

Intresting. I had heard of some weird stuff happening during the first movie, but not so much during the second. Or it could be I was so irritated with the second movie that I didn't pay any attention to anything that concerned it. I think some of those things they're attributing to "strange occurances" like the first film site flooding and Kathy Lutz dying during the making were just natural acts of God. People can freak themselves out royally with a story like this in the background, so the creepy feelings and weird noises - probably imagination working overtime. Although I didn't know the remake house had been abandoned for 40 years . . . . that's weird.
Madness starts here.
Malice in Wonderland
BellWitch74
Ruined Doll

Postby kudzu » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:14 am

OldSoul70 wrote:Wait I am confused, I thought an old couple lived in the re-make house??

An old couple does live in the house. They were interviewed for the HGTV special about movie horror houses. I don't know why they keep saying the place was abandoned. The couple gave a tour and the place definitely looked lived in.
"Now don't be a smartass!"
kudzu
Amityville Addict

Postby BellWitch74 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:17 am

Maybe saying the house was abandoned for 40 years is part of the hype.
Madness starts here.
Malice in Wonderland
BellWitch74
Ruined Doll

Postby OldSoul70 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:43 pm

kudzu wrote:
OldSoul70 wrote:Wait I am confused, I thought an old couple lived in the re-make house??

An old couple does live in the house. They were interviewed for the HGTV special about movie horror houses. I don't know why they keep saying the place was abandoned. The couple gave a tour and the place definitely looked lived in.

Yea I saw that too, so I get confused about the whole abandoned thing.
OldSoul70
Amityville Addict

Postby evanguy2004 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:08 am

OldSoul70 wrote:
kudzu wrote:

Yea I saw that too, so I get confused about the whole abandoned thing.

The house almost looks too nice to have been abandon for 40 years prior. Especially all the recent pictures I've been finding of it on the internet. I am disappointed however with that house not looking anything like a traditional dutch colonial. I think they could have tried to duplicate the home they used in Tom's River. Although that house had some differences it sure looked closer than the remake house. I had a hard time just overcoming that image. I the house is the star in these movies let's face it.
evanguy2004
I Am Insane

Return to Amityville Discussion