Benny's Story

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics

Benny's Story

Postby Dan the Damned » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:33 pm

George would often tell people that there were many stories surrounding the Amityville haunting that he hasn't made public - and some stories that no-one would ever know. And indeed, most of those stories are probably now lost forever.

But last week, someone asked me about one particular story. To my knowledge it was never published, and I believe George may have only spoken about it once, during a 2005 interview. It concerns his friend Benny Montana (I am not sure if his last name is correct, but it sounded like George said "Montana").

Here is the story as related by George in the only two places where I know he talked about it - first as part of Ric Osuna's original treatment of his tell-all "the Amityville Horror was true" book; and then directly from George in a 2005 internet radio interview:

After consulting with Father Ray, [the Lutzes] asked a few of their closest friends to enter the house and prepare what they could for the Salvation Army.  "They were warned by Father Ray that the only time they could enter the house was during Holy Week and only while it was daylight," recalls George. "They were also to say a special prayer prior to entering the house and stay no longer than one hour."  During the time they were there, a special mass was being said by Father Ray. 

Doug Capra, knew George Lutz for at least six years prior to moving in to the house in Amityville.  Once Capra arrived at the house in Amityville, he went right to work. 

At around noon George's other friend, Benny, arrived to help.  After already staying longer than they were supposed to, Capra and Benny carried out a cedar chest -- the only thing the Lutzes were allowed by Fr. Ray to reclaim.  During the hour Benny was there, his girlfriend stayed in the car refusing to go in the house.  However, she eventually wandered into the garage where the two men had been checking on George's speed boat.  "I was told she complained about feeling uneasy and returned to the car," says George. "A week later she was arrested for murdering Benny."

George: No, we didn't get the family pictures. What we did get were some personal records. My grandfather had given me a cedar chest that he had built. This would be Easter Sunday of 1976. A couple of friends went back into the house and got the food and the clothes and gave those to the Salvation Army, and brought out the chest for us with some personal items. But that's the only things we took from the house.

Host: But you actually didn't - you didn't even go back in there and get these things.

George: No, I gave them the key.

Host: They did it for you, in other words.

George: Right, and one of them was - a good friend of mine, Benny Montana who owned Nassau County Harley Davidson - he was murdered a week later. He's the only fella that ate any food that day in the house - he was told not to. Not that you can say that that's why he died - that would be improper. But it is another event that took place back then. He was murdered by his girlfriend.

Host: And this is - how long ago - how long after going in there and doing that did this occur? I mean what are we talking - a period of years?

George: When he died?

Host: Right.

George: No, within two weeks.

Co-host 1: Wow.

Co-host 2: Wow.

Host: Wow. Hang on, let me put the third "wow" in there, because that is "wow."

George: I don't believe that he died because he ate the food, but it is one of...he was easily one of my all-time best friends, and he's still missed, and to forget that he did that for me - went in there that day and got those...took care of the stuff for the salvation army and got our personal things and then died as a result, in some manner or another, two weeks later, is just not something that I forget.

The second half of this post came from one of George's appearances on the Magick Mind Radio Show. I just thought I'd post this because it is, after all, one of the lesser-known incidents relating to the haunting, and I don't think we've ever talked about it before...
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Re: Benny's Story

Postby Architect of light 75 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:15 am

Hey Dan!

How are you ?

Interesting story, thanks.

I read it all and looked on the Internet for some info about that Benny Montana but couldn't find something, how come ?

See you, Cheers :idea:
:rotate: http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/viewtopic.php?t=4373

"[..] It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step."

*Architect Of Light :idea:
Architect of light 75
Father Bolen's son

Postby Dan the Damned » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:48 pm

I did a real quick, brief Google search last night and came up blank, too. I'm not the best at looking up pre-Internet info.

One of the reasons is that his last name might not be "Montana" after all - when I was listening to the interview it sounded like "Montana" but I could be wrong.

I did easily find the website for Nassau County Harley Davidson. I was hoping to find some info about Benny in their "about us" page, but no such luck. I was also hoping to see if there were any current owners/employees named "Montana" still working there, but couldn't find any (again, it was a quick search, not an exhaustive armchair detective session).

I'm thinking there should be some record of the current and past owners of that business somewhere, perhaps? And maybe in those records there will be a listing for a "Benjamin ______" with the last name sounding similar to "Montana"...
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby evanguy2004 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:14 pm

Brilliant story Dan!! As always you are able to find those golden nuggets!!
evanguy2004
I Am Insane

Just wondering........

Postby Dutchcolonial » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:21 pm

I'm wondering, and it's just that, wondering............could it be possible that this actually made it to the 30 some 40 something hours of tapes the Lutzes made and passed to An$on from which to create his embelli$hed version of the truth? In the movie there was a friend of George's who brought his girlfriend to the house and she was hesitant at first to go inside because she got bad vibes from the house. Now, I know the Hollywood hyped up version of the story really cannot be compared to the tragic death of a real human being...........but I was just drawing a line between two similar aspect. What do you think?

Dutch.
“From trees to boathouses, Ocean Avenue was a street of American dreams. And what happened at 112 was a suburban tragedy.” G. SULLIVAN

“I want no part of the world out there. As far as I’m concerned, out there, there is nothing but trouble, disease, animals. I want no part of the world. In here at night when we lock in, they lock us in the cells. I feel safe, that nobody is going to get me. I feel fine. I really like that…..” RJD, JR.,October 15, 1975
Dutchcolonial
Amityville Architect

Postby sherbetbizarre » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:35 pm

It definetly would not have been on the tapes, because they were recorded in January.

However you are correct, there does seem to be a similar scene in the original movie, plus also I think in the remake as a deleted scene on the dvd.
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

There ya GO!

Postby Dutchcolonial » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:40 pm

You see? This was such a good example of how empirical data can be used to prove or dis-prove some aspect of the case. I see such promise for building a dossier which would present facts and put An$on'$ embelli$hment$ and Hollywood hype in the past forever.

Thanks, Jason.

Dutch.
“From trees to boathouses, Ocean Avenue was a street of American dreams. And what happened at 112 was a suburban tragedy.” G. SULLIVAN

“I want no part of the world out there. As far as I’m concerned, out there, there is nothing but trouble, disease, animals. I want no part of the world. In here at night when we lock in, they lock us in the cells. I feel safe, that nobody is going to get me. I feel fine. I really like that…..” RJD, JR.,October 15, 1975
Dutchcolonial
Amityville Architect

Postby Dan the Damned » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:52 pm

Yes, this incident happened long after those tapes were made, but before the book was written (and long before the film script was written).

So its anyone's guess whether this incident was passed along to Anson at one point or another. Not via "the tapes," but Anson also interviewed Father Ray and the Warrens and I think certain friends & relatives of the Lutzes (not sure). So it could have been told to Anson either during those interviews, or maybe at some later point...
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby applecakes » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:21 pm

In the interview I'm transcribing George mentions a Jimmy Wascoza? I had a hard time hearing him, anyway he said he owned a harley shop in east port ny. Not sure if it's the same guy or what but thought I would add to the thread. It's a different name but kinda of similiar.
Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty.
Albert Einstein
applecakes
Day Dreamer

Postby Dan the Damned » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:45 pm

Interesting. I think the name "Jimmy" has been mentioned before - and "Wascoza" has the same number of syllables as "Montana" (which is what I think I heard).

Well, I guess that's something we can hopefully get straight when we get all the pieces of the puzzle together.
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby Dan the Damned » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:46 pm

The puzzle pieces have come together:

PDF 1PDF 2

So the woman that had Benny killed -- Frances Ardito -- apparently died in 1987. The police thought she had Benny killed because he was going to leave her. Strangely enough, in 1993 Frances' son was imprisoned for killing his own ex-fiance for the same reason. :|
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby sherbetbizarre » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:03 am

Thanks, Dan... and thanks to Max for finding the articles.
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby VampireKen » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:36 pm

Now the cedar chest wasn't full of pictures?
"Sometimes, it's not the house that's haunted. It's the People."-Self

For Info on Filming Details of the Amityville Horror Trilogy, please view http://amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6594&start=210
VampireKen
Amityville Film Historian

Postby Dan the Damned » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:54 pm

I originally thought it was, but I don't think that was the case after all.
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby VampireKen » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:36 am

When I spoke to Chris a few nights ago he said that the chest DID have the pictures in it, and those pictures were the ones shown on History's Mysteries. Also, Kathy stated the same thing.

For Info on Filming Details of the Amityville Horror Trilogy, please view http://amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6594&start=210
VampireKen

Postby BooshaGirl » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:03 am

Curious (about the photographs). Also on one of those "re-enactment" shows, the family portraits were on the staircase. Camera-trick?
BooshaGirl
Amityville Addict

Postby Victoria Principles » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:11 am

BooshaGirl wrote:Curious (about the photographs). Also on one of those "re-enactment" shows, the family portraits were on the staircase. Camera-trick?

Computer trick.
Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Postby BooshaGirl » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:04 am

Victoria Principles wrote:
BooshaGirl wrote:Curious (about the photographs). Also on one of those "re-enactment" shows, the family portraits were on the staircase. Camera-trick?

Computer trick.

Thanks, Victoria. I wondered about that.
BooshaGirl
Amityville Addict

Postby Dan the Damned » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:19 am

VampireKen wrote:When I spoke to Chris a few nights ago he said that the chest DID have the pictures in it, and those pictures were the ones shown on History's Mysteries. Also, Kathy stated the same thing.

Well then, there you go.

But you say "the pictures." Did Chris say all the family pictures were in one location (inside the chest)? Did Chris claim all the pictures were recovered, or just most of them, or just some of them?

Could Chris and George be referring to different sets of pictures? Perhaps George is referring to pictures of his own family (prior to his marriage with Kathy) and Chris is referring to pictures of his siblings and mother?

It very well could be that the chest may have had some pictures in it (scattered in with the other contents), but not the majority of them. In other words, it may not have been the primary location of the family photos. I really don't know...
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby VampireKen » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:26 pm

That's true. Me and Chris were talking about the photo of George by the pool and I asked him if there are anymore and he said there were but George had them in the Chest with all the other photos. dunno :wall:

VampireKen

Postby sherbetbizarre » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:35 pm

I don't think he meant any more taken at 112.

Although the Warrens did have another one - Kathy outside the front of the 112 in her waitress uniform - which I've never seen!
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Next

Return to Amityville Discussion