Eric's latest project now has a website -

https://www.darksidedoc.com/
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Re: My Amityville Horror

Postby underthegarden » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:52 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:Eric's latest project now has a website -

Huh. Interesting, almost. According to this site, a man left for a 6 hour hike in a remote area at 5 p.m. If it was 5 a.m., this would make sense. Get up early, make it back home before noon heat sets in. Leaving at 5 p.m. to "walk off a hangover"??? No. This man was clearly not thinking straight and either fell into a mineshaft accidentally or was suicidal. Case closed.

I do wonder why this decades-old story attracted Eric Walter, though. There are lots of other more mysterious stories, so why this one? The site is slick but I just can't figure out why this particular s tory needed a documentary. People simply don't leave for long, arduous hikes that late in the day, alone. He wasn't a teenager. It just screams suicide or poor choice made under heavy alcohol influence. Sigh.
underthegarden
Amityville Member

Postby Brendan72 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:03 am

sherbetbizarre wrote:Eric's latest project now has a website -

There are quite a few missing persons/cold cases circulating particularly on You Tube. I find these interesting particularly those which are decades old. Police have a general professional opinion that the older the case the less chance of a resolution although there are exceptions to this rule. A recent case in Australia saw a man in his 60's charged with a child murder in the 1960's thanks to new forensic evidence not available at the time. For the sake of the relatives I am glad they can get some closure although sadly this is not always the case. The recent death of Ian Brady, the surviving half of the Moors Murder killers, there is the question of one or two of their victims not yet found.

I agree there are plenty of cases which have not been resolved and have been explored via the internet or via documentaries. I watched one recently on Netflix called 'The Keepers' which covered the 1969 unsolved murder of Baltimore nun Cathy Cesnik. It explored the cold case and did a pretty methodical job of covering most aspects of the suspects - a theory is she was going to expose sexual abuse by a prominent priest and she was murdered because of this. It did not really resolve the case but it did shed light on the already known issue of paedophilia within the Catholic Church. I strongly recommend it to anyone to watch although I must caution there are understandably disturbing aspects to the case as victims are interviewed and graphic details are divulged.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)
Brendan72
Forest Giant

Postby sherbetbizarre » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:09 am

underthegarden wrote:I do wonder why this decades-old story attracted Eric Walter, though. There are lots of other more mysterious stories, so why this one? The site is slick but I just can't figure out why this particular story needed a documentary.

Your missing the fact the same thing happened to the previous guy who lived in the house. He disappeared too in similar circumstances.
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby underthegarden » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:08 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:
underthegarden wrote:I do wonder why this decades-old story attracted Eric Walter, though. There are lots of other more mysterious stories, so why this one? The site is slick but I just can't figure out why this particular story needed a documentary.

Your missing the fact the same thing happened to the previous guy who lived in the house. He disappeared too in similar circumstances.

Nope, didn't miss it, I am just not puzzled by either story. First death was ruled a suicide. He left alone in the late afternoon & found with a shot to his head, very likely a suicide. Second man was obsessed with first man, and perhaps decided to commit suicide in a similar manner. There didn't seem to be any real signs of foul play in either disappearance or death, just local speculation.

I don't know...maybe if the circumstances were more mysterious, I would be more interested. For instance, if they had recently booked flights or had family or friends coming in to visit or had deep local ties. But both seemed depressed and trying to withdraw from society. I just can't see where the story is, based on the blog. Maybe (hopefully?) more interesting aspects and angles are covered in the actual documentary.

Side note: I did go hiking on an old mining trail once and almost certainly walked by a meth lab. It was remote and I kept thinking that I could be killed and no one would find me. I turned around fast and ran almost the entire way back. On top of that, i noticed a lot of bear scat on the trail, as well as signs warning hikers to stay on marked paths to avoid injury. Hiking on mining trails - even ones noted in published trail guides- can be very dangerous!!!!
underthegarden
Amityville Member

Previous

Return to Amityville Discussion