My Amityville Horror

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics

Re: My Amityville Horror

Postby sherbetbizarre » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:58 pm

More interviews:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/32235 ... the-truth/

http://tbrnews.com/lifestyle/entertainm ... f887a.html

And Danny isn't the easiest person to spend time watching:

This new documentary splits its time between uncomfortable, gruff interviews with Lutz in his gloomy garage and Lutz interacting with the News Team at Channel 5, some of the few journalists that were granted exclusive access to the Amityville story. But no matter the setting, Lutz is simply unlikeable and extremely difficult to sympathize with. Cameras follow him to his first meeting with a new therapist, where he proceeds to be nothing short of pugnacious, aggressively asking her what her most traumatic experience was. It’s clear that nothing she could have said would satisfy Lutz.

http://wsnhighlighter.com/2013/03/14/ne ... le-horror/

Where Walter’s film succeeds is in rendering Lutz, onscreen throughout, as an indelibly prickly and unsettling figure, a textbook trauma victim oozing tough-guy rage like a gangster in “The Departed.” Lutz’s reaction to the question of whether he’d ever take a test of his paranormal veracity nearly qualifies as horror.

http://variety.com/2013/film/reviews/fi ... 200324878/
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby Victoria Principles » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:39 am

Has this ''new account'' changed your views on Kathy and George?

I've never really believed that Chris and Danny were deliberately making things up (although I know it is still a possibility). I just feel that their version of events stem from childhood memories, and may be a bit 'tainted' because of their relationship with their stepfather.

Take for example Danny's claim that George could cause objects to levitate! OK - a neat trick (which I don't think is true), but for arguments sake lets just say it is true.
Then George could have made an absolute fortune in the 1970s... He would have put Uri Geller right out of business!!!

It just doesn't add up.

Maybe George had an interest in show magic as well and was attempting a trick and that is what Danny saw and he thought it was real. The late Doug Henning was a famous magician in the 80's who eventually got interested in TM and the occult and thought he could actually make people levitate without illusions. He failed.
Victoria Principles
Amityville Maniac

Postby kudzu » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:18 am

I watched it twice. Excellent movie, and easily the best documentary about Amityville I've seen. Eric did a phenomenal job keeping the tone respectful and letting Danny tell his story his way. I never felt like Eric was pushing a hoax/truth agenda. I also really like Laura Didio. I've always felt she had a balanced perspective on this case, and I really wanted to dig into that stack of investigation photos she had on the table in front of her.

I did find it interesting that Danny hardly mentioned his little sister Missy at all. Makes me wonder if she has told her older brothers to keep her out of it or something. I don't recall Chris talking about her much either. It's a shame that the kids don't seem to be very close because I would love to see the three of them sitting around a table talking about their time in the house, what they remember, and so forth.

The other thing I took away from this was annoyance at how the book and movies have distorted the story so much. A movie based solely on the story as told by Danny and his parents would be far more interesting to watch. That stuff about the garage door going crazy, and the fact that both he AND George witnessed Jodie at Missy's window just made it more interesting. Why leave that stuff out?

Anyway, definitely watch this flick when you get the chance. I hope Danny got some closure from the whole experience. :clap:
kudzu
Amityville Addict

Postby Matt9290 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:35 am

Victoria Principles wrote:
Has this ''new account'' changed your views on Kathy and George?

I've never really believed that Chris and Danny were deliberately making things up (although I know it is still a possibility). I just feel that their version of events stem from childhood memories, and may be a bit 'tainted' because of their relationship with their stepfather.

Take for example Danny's claim that George could cause objects to levitate! OK - a neat trick (which I don't think is true), but for arguments sake lets just say it is true.
Then George could have made an absolute fortune in the 1970s... He would have put Uri Geller right out of business!!!

It just doesn't add up.

Maybe George had an interest in show magic as well and was attempting a trick and that is what Danny saw and he thought it was real. The late Doug Henning was a famous magician in the 80's who eventually got interested in TM and the occult and thought he could actually make people levitate without illusions. He failed.

Now that is a very good point Victoria, and one I had not considered. :clap:

I’ve pulled a few practical jokes over the years (especially around the Halloween time), and most of them were done with ‘magical illusions’. Many of the kids who saw them (now adults) still recall them as being something other than a ‘trick’

But a good magician never reveals how it was done. :P
I wish I had the nerve not to tip...
Matt9290
Oh My Goodness

Postby sherbetbizarre » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:02 pm

kudzu wrote:I did find it interesting that Danny hardly mentioned his little sister Missy at all. Makes me wonder if she has told her older brothers to keep her out of it or something.

I believe so, yes.
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby Victoria Principles » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:44 pm

kudzu wrote:I watched it twice. Excellent movie, and easily the best documentary about Amityville I've seen. Eric did a phenomenal job keeping the tone respectful and letting Danny tell his story his way. I never felt like Eric was pushing a hoax/truth agenda. I also really like Laura Didio. I've always felt she had a balanced perspective on this case, and I really wanted to dig into that stack of investigation photos she had on the table in front of her.

I did find it interesting that Danny hardly mentioned his little sister Missy at all. Makes me wonder if she has told her older brothers to keep her out of it or something. I don't recall Chris talking about her much either. It's a shame that the kids don't seem to be very close because I would love to see the three of them sitting around a table talking about their time in the house, what they remember, and so forth.

The other thing I took away from this was annoyance at how the book and movies have distorted the story so much. A movie based solely on the story as told by Danny and his parents would be far more interesting to watch. That stuff about the garage door going crazy, and the fact that both he AND George witnessed Jodie at Missy's window just made it more interesting. Why leave that stuff out?

Anyway, definitely watch this flick when you get the chance. I hope Danny got some closure from the whole experience. :clap:

I always had a feeling that Melissa was much closer to George than the boys. Maybe she was too young to recall her real father and idenified with George as a father figure. Maybe George treated her differently than the boys (sounds like he treated the boys like a Marine sargent to recruits).

Chris has talked about Melissa a few times in the past few years. He did mention that Jodie may be nothing more than an imaginary friend.
Victoria Principles
Amityville Maniac

Postby quotestheraven » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:59 pm

When has Christopher said that Jodi might not be real?
quotestheraven
Amityville Addict

Postby sherbetbizarre » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:26 pm

underthegunreview wrote:My Amityville Horror is a well crafted film. It is shot and edited wonderfully and will certainly keep you entertained throughout it’s runtime. A documentary’s job is to tell a story and this film does that wonderfully. Interviews and interactions with people close to the incident and Danny keep things from getting stale and add an extra layer to an already rich narrative. Eric Walter never shies away from tougher questions despite Danny’s reactions (which were sometimes angry and intense) so you get a the full story, no holds barred.

http://www.underthegunreview.net/2013/0 ... le-horror/
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby Victoria Principles » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:13 am

quotestheraven wrote:When has Christopher said that Jodi might not be real?

It was on a radio interview he did in the last two years. There is a mention about it in a thread somewhere.
Victoria Principles
Amityville Maniac

Postby sherbetbizarre » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:26 am

I don't think he meant it as in it was all in her mind...

Here's some MAH clips -

http://www.fearnet.com/news/news-articl ... horror-doc
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby Dan the Damned » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:19 pm

Any post mentioning the pirating of this film (or Ryan's film, etc) has been and will be deleted.

For those of you outside the USA, it has been mentioned that the IFC deal is only for distribution in the US. They will announce an international distribution deal once one has been made.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby quotestheraven » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:03 am

One more day until payday. Then, a day for my check to clear my account. I know what I'm going to try to watch on Friday night. :dance:
quotestheraven
Amityville Addict

Postby quotestheraven » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:12 pm

Earlier in the thread someone asked why Kathy would continue appearing with George to talk about the haunting/not mention his dabbling in the occult - just because they divorced doesn't mean George stopped bullying/controling her. I've seen many abusive exes continue to manipulate and maintain some level of control over their victims even years after a divorce - especially whe they've got children in common. Like it or not, Kathy was bound to George until the day she died through their children (and I mean the younger two that were actually George's biological children)
quotestheraven
Amityville Addict

Postby Victoria Principles » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:56 am

quotestheraven wrote:Earlier in the thread someone asked why Kathy would continue appearing with George to talk about the haunting/not mention his dabbling in the occult - just because they divorced doesn't mean George stopped bullying/controling her. I've seen many abusive exes continue to manipulate and maintain some level of control over their victims even years after a divorce - especially whe they've got children in common. Like it or not, Kathy was bound to George until the day she died through their children (and I mean the younger two that were actually George's biological children)

There was no reason for Kathy to bring the occult subject up. What would she gain from disclosing that? She was as much part of the Amityville Horror as George. We really don't know the reason behind their devoirce either.
Victoria Principles
Amityville Maniac

Postby dalnkel » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:24 am

Hi all when is this available in the uk? X
dalnkel
Amityville Addict

Postby bagheadinc » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:39 am

dalnkel wrote:Hi all when is this available in the uk? X
We do not have information of foreign distribution at this time, but rest assure that as soon as we know something, you guys will know. :)
Image Image
bagheadinc
Amityville Addict

Postby VampireKen » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:15 pm

quotestheraven wrote:Earlier in the thread someone asked why Kathy would continue appearing with George to talk about the haunting/not mention his dabbling in the occult - just because they divorced doesn't mean George stopped bullying/controling her. I've seen many abusive exes continue to manipulate and maintain some level of control over their victims even years after a divorce - especially whe they've got children in common. Like it or not, Kathy was bound to George until the day she died through their children (and I mean the younger two that were actually George's biological children)

Correct me if i'm wrong, but at one point George and Kathy did stop speaking. After the divorce, Kathy suffered from depression and Alchohol and (I believe) drug abuse. Her interview on the 700 Club discussed this.
"Sometimes, it's not the house that's haunted. It's the People."-Self

For Info on Filming Details of the Amityville Horror Trilogy, please view http://amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6594&start=210
VampireKen
Amityville Film Historian

Postby sherbetbizarre » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:11 pm

We caught up with director Eric Walter and producer Andrea Adams to find out how they got Lutz to go on the record at last, how his story changed their perception of the infamous case, and why the fascination with Amityville persists to this day.

http://blogs.westword.com/showandtell/2 ... mmaker.php
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby quotestheraven » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:54 pm

I just finished watching it.

I really wonder if Danny and George might have had a healthier relationship if George hadn't adopted the kids/insisted on trying to play daddy.

Does Danny have any relationship with his siblings at all? What about his natural father's family?

It was also interesting to hear other people's perspectives of George - the cousin and Lorraine Warren.

The film also made me lose respect for Kathy. How could she have allowed this to happen to her children? How could she have just dumped her kids for the better part of a year? How could she have allowed Danny to leave home and be homeless at 15? Okay, maybe he needed to be separated from George - so send him to stay with relatives. Don't just let your kid go be street homeless.
quotestheraven
Amityville Addict

Postby sherbetbizarre » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:22 am

Mixed bag of reviews...

oregonlive.com wrote:Lutz's haunted house testimonial still has plenty of creep factor, even after nearly four decades. What makes "My Amityville Horror" really fascinating, however, is its attempts to sort out why Lutz believes what he believes and the circumstances that might have turned an out-of-control fantasy into his ongoing reality. Though no new answers are presented, the questions should intrigue anyone fascinated by things going bump in the night.

http://www.oregonlive.com/movies/index. ... lle_h.html

villagevoice.com wrote:After years of based-on-a-truish-story movie sequels, the most convincing explanation for the purported hauntings in Amityville, New York, might be simply the power of suggestion. That's certainly the main takeaway from My Amityville Horror, Eric Walter's documentary portrait of Daniel Lutz, who in 1976, at the age of 10, supposedly experienced supernatural terror with his family at the notorious Long Island residence of the title.

http://www.villagevoice.com/2013-03-13/ ... lutz/full/

efilmcritic.com wrote:My Amityville Horror becomes not so much an “untold story” of the Amityville case as a psychological study of a troubled man. Whatever you believe Danny went through, it’s clear he went through something, something that still eats away at him. We see him talking to a therapist, to a reporter who’d covered the original story, to a psychic investigator who had visited the house. They all seem to take him at his word. Danny seems to feel an intense need to tell his story, though he also says he doesn’t want to — doesn’t want to have to. He just wishes he had a normal childhood, a normal life. If that’s so, he hasn’t really helped his blood pressure by appearing here; those, like me, who couldn’t have picked the grown Danny Lutz out of a line-up before will now recognize him as “the Amityville guy.” (I’m also not sure why he didn’t trade his adoptive name Lutz — his loathed stepfather’s name — for his given name Quaratino, though maybe he wanted to maintain a connection to his mother.)

http://www.efilmcritic.com/review.php?m ... viewer=416
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby Victoria Principles » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:09 am

VampireKen wrote:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but at one point George and Kathy did stop speaking. After the divorce, Kathy suffered from depression and Alchohol and (I believe) drug abuse. Her interview on the 700 Club discussed this.

Here is the interview.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5fH2TpazA4

I didn't hear where she said used alcohol and drugs (though she is hard to understand in spots). She said she became distant from her family and I take that met others outside of George.
Victoria Principles
Amityville Maniac

PreviousNext

Return to Amityville Discussion