My Amityville Horror

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9868
Contact:

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:08 pm

jimmysmokes wrote:
sherbetbizarre wrote:
jimmysmokes wrote:the Lutzes like telling their stories but don't want any questions that would provoke honest answers
That doesn't describe the parents.
Did you know the Lutzes or something?
I knew George, yes.

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9868
Contact:

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:13 pm

jimmysmokes wrote:why would he comment on his own documentary (?)
It's not "his own" documentary. It's Eric Walters' documentary and Danny is the subject.

So it's quite conceivable he could have opinions about the other interviews.

User avatar
jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict
Posts: 687

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by jimmysmokes » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:32 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:
jimmysmokes wrote:why would he comment on his own documentary (?)
It's not "his own" documentary. It's Eric Walters' documentary and Danny is the subject.

So it's quite conceivable he could have opinions about the other interviews.
ok, can you produce some for us? the doc is entitled "my amityville horror". regardless of who filmed the doc I take it that the movie is about dans experiences and not Walters. also, if it were truly Walters doc then why would Dan ask his sibs to be in it when it would not be up to dan to make that decision? title states MY a horror not ours, so one could say it's all about dan and without Dan, Eric does not have a story.

so you did know George? I kinda figured something along those lines. I would kindly ask you why you believe his claims?

User avatar
DC Fan
Amityville Addict
Posts: 373

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by DC Fan » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:58 pm

jimmysmokes wrote:ok, can you produce some for us? the doc is entitled "my amityville horror". regardless of who filmed the doc I take it that the movie is about dans experiences and not Walters. also, if it were truly Walters doc then why would Dan ask his sibs to be in it when it would not be up to dan to make that decision? title states MY a horror not ours, so one could say it's all about dan and without Dan, Eric does not have a story.
The title of the film was Eric's choice and it is known that with the "My" he places emphasis on the fact of one man and that one man's experiences being Eric's subject.

There is a statement at the end that Chris and Missy were asked if they wished to participate but I see no reason to believe that it was Dan who contacted them for that purpose.

You seem to want to give Dan the credit as editor, if not director. One way or another, unless there was some agreement between the two men to the contrary, the normal way these things operate is that Eric has control over what gets filmed, what goes to print and what stays on the cutting room floor. And that explains why, as far as anyone can tell, Dan did not try to get a deal with MGM, which has a history of injecting its own fictions into the situation.

And that explains why Dan might have an opinion about the film that in fact was not his own.

User avatar
DC Fan
Amityville Addict
Posts: 373

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by DC Fan » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:45 am

Regarding these other interviews contained within the doc, I'm wondering about something that is being left unchallenged. Maybe Dan should be the one to make the challenge, I don't know.

Professor Elizabeth Loftus is correct that false or exaggerated memories can be unintentionally created in traumatic situations. However regarding her characterisation of Dan in his childhood being "soaked in suggestion":

1. Chris has stated in interviews that the children were not allowed to read the book, see the movie or pay attention to interviews. For some of that time they were in a boarding school. To what extent Dan knew the story that was being told therein during his childhood is questionable.

2. I know of no book, interview, article or previous movie that contained events of the oldest child being projected up the stairs, having something go through him stating "it is you" or being visited by an apparition while his mother packs his hands in ice.

3. Under the official history at least, even George and Kathy had no knowledge about what happened to Father Ray until they found out from Jay Anson.

4. If Dan is anything like Chris, he has a contempt for the books and movies that he would regard as inaccurate.

Whether or not we are to believe what Dan says is different from the issue that I now bring up.

My point for now is that there are things in this documentary that cannot be suggestions from books, movies and interviews. If Dan is saying something that is not true, in some cases at least the reason why he makes such claims must have some explanation other than that suggested by Professor Loftus, who did add her own "or maybe not".

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9868
Contact:

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:12 am

jimmysmokes wrote:
sherbetbizarre wrote:It's not "his own" documentary. It's Eric Walters' documentary and Danny is the subject.

So it's quite conceivable he could have opinions about the other interviews.
ok, can you produce some for us?
Eric would have to answer that, but I seem to recall Danny being happy with the doc overall. He knew Eric was going to interview many people, and I've seen other documentaries where the main subject was annoyed he wasn't given the chance to "answer back" to some of the critics, but I don't think it happened here.
the doc is entitled "my amityville horror". regardless of who filmed the doc I take it that the movie is about dans experiences and not Walters.
Eric - like most documentary makers - set out to make an unbiased look at the case. What's the point of letting Danny talk about a controversial subject without it being challenged? You get the story from different sides. Otherwise you end up with a Shattered Hopes.
also, if it were truly Walters doc then why would Dan ask his sibs to be in it when it would not be up to dan to make that decision? title states MY a horror not ours, so one could say it's all about dan and without Dan, Eric does not have a story.

Eric would have been happy for the siblings to be in it - can't remember if it was his idea or Danny's. But it wasn't a case of Danny calling them behind Eric back. And, if they were all in it, it would have probably been called OUR Amityville Horror.
so you did know George? I kinda figured something along those lines. I would kindly ask you why you believe his claims?
Because there's a big difference between what he said in interviews, and what the books and movies portrayed. I found him honest in the way he told the story, and if he didn't "want any questions that would provoke honest answers" I doubt if I would have befriended him.

User avatar
jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict
Posts: 687

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by jimmysmokes » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:40 pm

If I remember correctly, Chris slammed Dan on his Facebook page after the DVD came out saying that he was glad he shunned dans offer to appear in the doc. Something like that along those lines. I would say that it was probably dan whom asked his sibs but also I think this movie was going to be centered on Dan from the get go.

George once said in an interview that he did take dan to the hospital when the incident happened with his hand. He also backtracked in this interview when he got called out that there was no evidence that a dan lutz had went to that Brunswick hospital when this incident was said to have happened.

That was proven as a lie.

User avatar
DC Fan
Amityville Addict
Posts: 373

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by DC Fan » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:40 pm

jimmysmokes wrote:If I remember correctly, Chris slammed Dan on his Facebook page after the DVD came out saying that he was glad he shunned dans offer to appear in the doc. Something like that along those lines. I would say that it was probably dan whom asked his sibs but also I think this movie was going to be centered on Dan from the get go.

George once said in an interview that he did take dan to the hospital when the incident happened with his hand. He also backtracked in this interview when he got called out that there was no evidence that a dan lutz had went to that Brunswick hospital when this incident was said to have happened.

That was proven as a lie.
I'm not sure that there is any reason to care if it was Dan who made the phone call or e-mail to Chris. It still would have been Eric's decision. Eric's intention to focus on Dan is not something I view as a controversy or any secret. Is there any reason why it should be?

If I recall correctly, Chris had stated in a radio interview that he wanted the doc about Dan to be about Dan. Chris has expressed his own desire to write a book but who knows when that will happen.

George backtracking on his claim on having taken Dan to the hospital is already known. I don't know that anyone disputes it and I'm not sure why you bring that up.

So, your point is.....

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9868
Contact:

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:16 pm

jimmysmokes wrote:If I remember correctly, Chris slammed Dan on his Facebook page after the DVD came out saying that he was glad he shunned dans offer to appear in the doc. Something like that along those lines. I would say that it was probably dan whom asked his sibs but also I think this movie was going to be centered on Dan from the get go.
Sure, it began as Danny's story, but Eric was open to the idea of including Chris and Missy.

Even if Danny did ask them, he's still not in control of the final cut, as it was not his film.
George once said in an interview that he did take dan to the hospital when the incident happened with his hand. He also backtracked in this interview when he got called out that there was no evidence that a dan lutz had went to that Brunswick hospital when this incident was said to have happened.

That was proven as a lie.
Yep, that's false, but... we only have the Kaplan's word that this was said in a (radio) interview. I'd have to hear it first to comment...

User avatar
jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict
Posts: 687

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by jimmysmokes » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:11 pm

DC Fan wrote:
jimmysmokes wrote:If I remember correctly, Chris slammed Dan on his Facebook page after the DVD came out saying that he was glad he shunned dans offer to appear in the doc. Something like that along those lines. I would say that it was probably dan whom asked his sibs but also I think this movie was going to be centered on Dan from the get go.

George once said in an interview that he did take dan to the hospital when the incident happened with his hand. He also backtracked in this interview when he got called out that there was no evidence that a dan lutz had went to that Brunswick hospital when this incident was said to have happened.

That was proven as a lie.
I'm not sure that there is any reason to care if it was Dan who made the phone call or e-mail to Chris. It still would have been Eric's decision. Eric's intention to focus on Dan is not something I view as a controversy or any secret. Is there any reason why it should be?

If I recall correctly, Chris had stated in a radio interview that he wanted the doc about Dan to be about Dan. Chris has expressed his own desire to write a book but who knows when that will happen.

George backtracking on his claim on having taken Dan to the hospital is already known. I don't know that anyone disputes it and I'm not sure why you bring that up.

So, your point is.....
My point is trying to establish a pattern here about George lying. I don't believe the story but others like Sherbetbizzare take lutz at face value even though the claims were credited as a hoax shortly after they were made public. I believe the claims of haunting are flimsy compared to evidence that shows it to be not credible.
The story is a great read and it was scary but anson had a lot to do with it though.

That make sense to you?

User avatar
jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict
Posts: 687

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by jimmysmokes » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:13 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:
jimmysmokes wrote:If I remember correctly, Chris slammed Dan on his Facebook page after the DVD came out saying that he was glad he shunned dans offer to appear in the doc. Something like that along those lines. I would say that it was probably dan whom asked his sibs but also I think this movie was going to be centered on Dan from the get go.
Sure, it began as Danny's story, but Eric was open to the idea of including Chris and Missy.

Even if Danny did ask them, he's still not in control of the final cut, as it was not his film.
George once said in an interview that he did take dan to the hospital when the incident happened with his hand. He also backtracked in this interview when he got called out that there was no evidence that a dan lutz had went to that Brunswick hospital when this incident was said to have happened.

That was proven as a lie.
Yep, that's false, but... we only have the Kaplan's word that this was said in a (radio) interview. I'd have to hear it first to comment...
Regardless, one mans word against another's? Pick and choose what you want.

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9868
Contact:

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:42 pm

jimmysmokes wrote:My point is trying to establish a pattern here about George lying. I don't believe the story but others like Sherbetbizzare take lutz at face value even though the claims were credited as a hoax shortly after they were made public.
Well, which specific lies are you think of?

User avatar
jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict
Posts: 687

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by jimmysmokes » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:19 pm

start right at the beginning with their meetings with weber. I guess one can choose sides here, but I can't get around what they (weber and Lutzes) we're cooking up to start it off and that's why I believe it was a hoax.
Also where are any pictures of them while they were at that house, however long they were there?

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9868
Contact:

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:26 pm

jimmysmokes wrote:Also where are any pictures of them while they were at that house, however long they were there?
There's one picture of George which survives...

http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard ... f=8&t=6711


As for their time with Weber, it depends who you believe-- Both parties agree they told Weber the story after being scared out of the house... but when Weber suggested a book, did they eventually back away (from his version), or start embellishing details?

User avatar
jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict
Posts: 687

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by jimmysmokes » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:50 pm

Well I'll be darned! I have never seen that. He looks a lot skinnier than I thought he was at the time? Didn't he say he lost weight while there? That's a strange picture.

Obviously they backed away from his version. I thought weber pointed out most of those details and they expanded on stuff like the slime?

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9868
Contact:

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by sherbetbizarre » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:25 am

jimmysmokes wrote:Didn't he say he lost weight while there?
Yep, and there you go.
I thought weber pointed out most of those details and they expanded on stuff like the slime?
Sure, but is he telling the truth?

All this came out in 1979, after Weber missed out on the book and was suing the Lutzes, claiming they broke an agreement. So he had ample reason to pretend he helped make it all up, as he chased their profits.

(yes, the crime-scene photos show dark patches around the door-handles (finger print dust), however, they look nothing like the way George described the "slime" - hard and teardrop-shaped)

User avatar
jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict
Posts: 687

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by jimmysmokes » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:26 pm

well if they had an agreement beforehand then it would seem that one would have defer to weber on this one. plus if they had this agreement prior to 1979 when this all broke it wouldn't change the fact that they had first worked with weber, then they backed out.

do I think weber to be an honest lawyer? no way and he was money hungry for helping in all this mess.

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9868
Contact:

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by sherbetbizarre » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:15 pm

jimmysmokes wrote:well if they had an agreement beforehand then it would seem that one would have defer to weber on this one.
That's the problem, because the Lutzes claim they didn't.

They certainly didn't sign his contract.

User avatar
jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict
Posts: 687

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by jimmysmokes » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:15 pm

would you say that the demons or whatever, appeared to the lutzes after George started playing with the occult and conjuring them up with his chanting or whatever he was doing while they were at the house?

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9868
Contact:

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:10 am

jimmysmokes wrote:would you say that the demons or whatever, appeared to the lutzes after George started playing with the occult and conjuring them up with his chanting or whatever he was doing while they were at the house?
George always admitted he and Kathy practicing TM helped "open a doorway" as it were... and they quit when they left the house. I think him practicing the "occult" is an invention of the Lutz boys ;)

User avatar
jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict
Posts: 687

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by jimmysmokes » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:20 pm

in other words they made up some fibs?

were the "spirits" present at 112 ocean ave all along or did lutz bring them on during his, whatever he did at that house?

Post Reply