My Amityville Horror

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
Victoria Principles
I Am Insane
Posts: 3101

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by Victoria Principles » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:56 am

Danny said they left in the middle of the night while he was wearing night clothes. I thought George said they left in the middle of the afternoon.

User avatar
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul
Posts: 11817

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by Dan the Damned » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:13 pm

There were a number of times where Danny's memories seemed to closely resemble the movie. Could his memories be playing tricks on him? Dunno...

jecht
Amityville Member
Posts: 56
Location: Chesterland OH USA
Contact:

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by jecht » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:11 pm

Amityville Rock wrote:Jecht I've heard many stories over the years about alleged pre-Defeo hauntings of the house. However, it all amounts to hearsay as those "involved" have never produced any evidence they ever visited 112/108 Ocean Avenue.
I believe you...would love to find more content on the Internet.

I remember being on this board in '05 and reading random stories about this place that never really made the news:
1) The cedar chest that contained articles safe from alleged spiritual activity.
2) The little boy that came over to play but felt uncomfortable and left after a few hours.
3) The ley lines that allegedly ran under the area.

Truthfully there's probably things that happened that only George, Kathy, the kids and the DeFeos know about that we'll never know about...I'm not saying one way or another, but a situation like this is missing tons of pieces...
Kosar to Slaughter! Touchdown Browns!

User avatar
DC Fan
Amityville Addict
Posts: 341

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by DC Fan » Tue May 23, 2017 8:25 pm

Itchy Mysteries review, largely negative. However I find it interesting that this guy gives a perspective of someone who knows little about the story going in and at a couple points, 6:07 and 12:35 he starts questioning Eric Walter's documentary methods that make Daniel look ridiculous. Of course, Eric wanted to document what Dan was like when talking about Amityville and what it has done to him and has stated that Dan is calmer when talking about something else. I think we can develop our own opinions of when the director should have yelled "cut" or left something on the floor.


User avatar
kudzu
Amityville Addict
Posts: 366
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by kudzu » Wed May 24, 2017 4:02 am

This happened ages ago so my memory of it might be tarnished, but I remember doing a book report on TAH in high school (we got to choose any book) and after class the teacher pulled me aside and told me she had lived in Amityville at the time and remembers the Lutz's leaving because one of her friends lived on Ocean and was on the phone with her when she mentioned the "weird" family across the street was loading up their van. I got the impression this happened mid-morning. She didn't remember it until the news story aired and her friend called to tell her it was the same family. My teacher could have just been messing with me since I was so obsessed with the book but it always stuck with me.

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9687
Contact:

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu May 25, 2017 5:54 am

kudzu wrote:I got the impression this happened mid-morning.
Well, that would have been about right!

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane
Posts: 3101

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by Victoria Principles » Thu May 25, 2017 9:19 am

DC Fan wrote:Itchy Mysteries review, largely negative. However I find it interesting that this guy gives a perspective of someone who knows little about the story going in and at a couple points, 6:07 and 12:35 he starts questioning Eric Walter's documentary methods that make Daniel look ridiculous. Of course, Eric wanted to document what Dan was like when talking about Amityville and what it has done to him and has stated that Dan is calmer when talking about something else. I think we can develop our own opinions of when the director should have yelled "cut" or left something on the floor.


My Amityville Horror got quite positive reviews when it came out. You can't make everyone happy.

User avatar
DC Fan
Amityville Addict
Posts: 341

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by DC Fan » Thu May 25, 2017 2:05 pm

Victoria Principles wrote:
DC Fan wrote:Itchy Mysteries review, largely negative. However I find it interesting that this guy gives a perspective of someone who knows little about the story going in and at a couple points, 6:07 and 12:35 he starts questioning Eric Walter's documentary methods that make Daniel look ridiculous. Of course, Eric wanted to document what Dan was like when talking about Amityville and what it has done to him and has stated that Dan is calmer when talking about something else. I think we can develop our own opinions of when the director should have yelled "cut" or left something on the floor.


My Amityville Horror got quite positive reviews when it came out. You can't make everyone happy.
My point in making this post was not to stick a negative review here. There is something here that suggests that the director was unfairly depicting Dan and it is being pointed out by someone with a newcomers perspective. Doesn't anybody yell "cut" anymore?

In a previous post you defended Dan by talking about how George and Kathy took polygraphs and it didn't change opinions. Eric Walter knew about this, but he put out Dan's reaction to the polygraph question without that information included. In the commentary he states he had that information was in the preface leading up to the question, which might explain the nature of Dan's reaction, and that part got edited out.

User avatar
Bodie_Rose
Amityville Addict
Posts: 155

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by Bodie_Rose » Mon May 29, 2017 4:45 am

Brendan72 wrote:
Amityville Rock wrote:
jimmysmokes wrote:in other words they made up some fibs?

were the "spirits" present at 112 ocean ave all along or did lutz bring them on during his, whatever he did at that house?
I have reason to beieve it was already "haunted" when the Defeo Family moved in, so before 1965. Although this very much depends on what you mean by "spirits". Do I think there were human ghosts present prior to the Defeo murders, no. Do I think the property was used as a dwelling place by an entity of some type, yes.
We know from many cases of paranormal activity take place where tragic (and violent) incidences such as the DeFeo murders occurred. Places such as Gettysburg have had numerous documented cases through investigations and independent sightings, of paranormal activity. This can be because the environment in which it occurred can leave an imprint of what happened and can result in sightings or even hearing what may have occurred during the tragic event.

We know Kathy Lutz claimed to have had vivid dreams regarding the DeFeo murders, so vivid that in fact it was later determined from crime scene reports supplied by William Weber that she dreamed what order the victims were killed.

It is not inconceivable that negative energies (non human perhaps) can be attracted to areas of great tragedy such as the DeFeo murders, and that it was contained in the dwelling of the house for thirteen months while the house remained empty. Was it coincidence that the Father's blessing awoke it or it was already awakened and felt challenged by the priest? This could explain why the haunting intensified in such short time as it did (the 28 days). One can entertain the idea that had the blessing not taken place how slowly the paranormal activity would build up and perhaps the Lutz family would have stayed there longer? Would the negative entity have awoken at all? At a guess from other cases it would have awoken by the new presences in the house (the Lutz family) and the activity may have slowly accelerated over time.

Over the years I have considered the notion that Missy Lutz was psychically sensitive. Of course being a child we know children tend to be more sensitive so whether it was because she was just a child and the easiest target for the entity there I cannot say, but going off other cases we know children tend to be the first to pick up something not there but of course initially are not believed by the adults on account of it being written off as an imaginary friend, which is not uncommon with a lot of children. We know George and Kathy began to take the presence known as "Jodie" more seriously when Missy began to repeat things they knew a six year old could not possibly know, such as "you're never going to leave here". We also know George saw a pair of red eyes looking at him in the back yard from Missy's bedroom window one night. We know of the rocking chair moving of its' own volition and being seen doing so.

With the Amityville case there are a lot of variables involved such as George and Kathy's TM, the priest blessing, the DeFeo murders. I think there are a lot more variables in this case then there were in others. A few have come close such as the site of the Manson murders which I can dare say can equal that of the DeFeo murders or one can draw comparisons to. There was an episode of the Manson murders on Paranormal Witness if anybody has seen this? Worth watching if you have not as you can clearly see many similarities to Amityville.

Only just read this post and it struck a chord with me

I'm quite skeptical of hauntings, demons/evil spirits and all that... but negative energy is something I do firmly believe in from my own experiences.

One particular place I've visited many times hands down beats Amityville or the site of the Manson murder sites in terms of evil:

Auschwitz-Birkenau.

On every one of my visits there I have been completely overwhelmed by the sensation of negative energy. I've never experienced anything like it before, it's hard to describe.

Who knows if it is simply a psychological reaction to a place where over a million people died, but time and time again I have the exact same violent response to the place. It's a crushing sense of depression, a feeling of dread and panic you can't get away from. Walking from the train ramp to where the crematorium and gas chambers were is so surreal, taking the same route hundreds and thousands of people did on their way to their deaths. The paralysing fear I felt making that same walk was quite irrational, nothing bad was going to happen to me but it almost felt like I was one of those people.

I recently visited the site of another Nazi death camp, Sobibor, and had a similar but less intense reaction. Those places are saturated in evil, the evil of what humans are capable of doing to each other.

Just thought I'd share... hope my waffling made any sense to you all.

User avatar
Amit Y Ville
Amityville Addict
Posts: 470

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by Amit Y Ville » Mon May 29, 2017 4:06 pm

Auschwitz didn't affect me much, I'd say thats definitely in your head. Especially since no demonic crap happened there just some killings. DEMONIC influences change everything, or sacrifices like at the Abbey Of Thelema I visited in Sicily.
"Everything's sliding into place. Just ONE more sacrifice Lisa."

User avatar
Bodie_Rose
Amityville Addict
Posts: 155

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by Bodie_Rose » Tue May 30, 2017 4:28 am

Amit Y Ville wrote:Auschwitz didn't affect me much, I'd say thats definitely in your head. Especially since no demonic crap happened there just some killings. DEMONIC influences change everything, or sacrifices like at the Abbey Of Thelema I visited in Sicily.
I'm a bit taken aback by your response.

"just some killings" ???!!!

Over a million people gassed or shot, died of starvation, hard labour, disease and medical experiments. Just because they were Jewish, Polish, Gypsies or Soviet POWS is hardly "just some killings."


Quite frankly I don't see how you can get much more demonic and evil than that.

My Great Grandfather, a Polish Catholic died in Auschwitz. My Great Grandmother was also sent there but she survived. She died in 1999 when I was 15. For the most part she refused to speak about the place but one of the very few things she ever did say I still remember very clearly:


"God didn't exist there, prayer couldn't help anyone. There was only evil, demons in Nazi uniforms."

If there's any place on this planet I'd possibly believe was rife with demonic forces it would definitely be there.

I think you missed the point of my post entirely. Negative energy doesn't even need to be a result of anything demonic, at least not in the traditional "religious" sense of the word anyway.

User avatar
Amit Y Ville
Amityville Addict
Posts: 470

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by Amit Y Ville » Tue May 30, 2017 10:35 am

Bodie_Rose wrote:
Amit Y Ville wrote:Auschwitz didn't affect me much, I'd say thats definitely in your head. Especially since no demonic crap happened there just some killings. DEMONIC influences change everything, or sacrifices like at the Abbey Of Thelema I visited in Sicily.
I'm a bit taken aback by your response.

"just some killings" ???!!!

Over a million people gassed or shot, died of starvation, hard labour, disease and medical experiments. Just because they were Jewish, Polish, Gypsies or Soviet POWS is hardly "just some killings."


Quite frankly I don't see how you can get much more demonic and evil than that.

My Great Grandfather, a Polish Catholic died in Auschwitz. My Great Grandmother was also sent there but she survived. She died in 1999 when I was 15. For the most part she refused to speak about the place but one of the very few things she ever did say I still remember very clearly:


"God didn't exist there, prayer couldn't help anyone. There was only evil, demons in Nazi uniforms."

If there's any place on this planet I'd possibly believe was rife with demonic forces it would definitely be there.

I think you missed the point of my post entirely. Negative energy doesn't even need to be a result of anything demonic, at least not in the traditional "religious" sense of the word anyway.
I mean the soldiers at Auschwitz didn't practice Satanism as far as its been proved, so I don't think you can compare them. If you weren't told about what happened there, I honestly don't think you'd feel any different. Whereas REAL demonic practices and evoking can cause an entirely different response. In my example a place where Satanism was practiced DAILY and probably still is from pilgrims has alienated the whole town in fear. The energy that place creates is far more sinister than I felt in Poland.

That's not to say Auschwitz isn't a horrible place to be. I mean, I didn't see a bird fly over it during my visit. But it is in no way directly related to Satanism. 8-)
"Everything's sliding into place. Just ONE more sacrifice Lisa."

User avatar
Bodie_Rose
Amityville Addict
Posts: 155

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by Bodie_Rose » Tue May 30, 2017 11:25 am

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Bodie_Rose wrote:
Amit Y Ville wrote:Auschwitz didn't affect me much, I'd say thats definitely in your head. Especially since no demonic crap happened there just some killings. DEMONIC influences change everything, or sacrifices like at the Abbey Of Thelema I visited in Sicily.
I'm a bit taken aback by your response.

"just some killings" ???!!!

Over a million people gassed or shot, died of starvation, hard labour, disease and medical experiments. Just because they were Jewish, Polish, Gypsies or Soviet POWS is hardly "just some killings."


Quite frankly I don't see how you can get much more demonic and evil than that.

My Great Grandfather, a Polish Catholic died in Auschwitz. My Great Grandmother was also sent there but she survived. She died in 1999 when I was 15. For the most part she refused to speak about the place but one of the very few things she ever did say I still remember very clearly:


"God didn't exist there, prayer couldn't help anyone. There was only evil, demons in Nazi uniforms."

If there's any place on this planet I'd possibly believe was rife with demonic forces it would definitely be there.

I think you missed the point of my post entirely. Negative energy doesn't even need to be a result of anything demonic, at least not in the traditional "religious" sense of the word anyway.
I mean the soldiers at Auschwitz didn't practice Satanism as far as its been proved, so I don't think you can compare them. If you weren't told about what happened there, I honestly don't think you'd feel any different. Whereas REAL demonic practices and evoking can cause an entirely different response. In my example a place where Satanism was practiced DAILY and probably still is from pilgrims has alienated the whole town in fear. The energy that place creates is far more sinister than I felt in Poland.

That's not to say Auschwitz isn't a horrible place to be. I mean, I didn't see a bird fly over it during my visit. But it is in no way directly related to Satanism. 8-)

Then I suppose it boils down to what you believe.

Personally I don't believe in Satan or demons as entities. Therefor such places would have very little effect on me other than sadness that people might have died due to people's religious sadism.

Auschwitz is a place of real, physically proven evil.

User avatar
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul
Posts: 11817

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by Dan the Damned » Tue May 30, 2017 12:00 pm

Or, rather, Auschwitz is a place where real, physical evil took place.

User avatar
Amit Y Ville
Amityville Addict
Posts: 470

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by Amit Y Ville » Tue May 30, 2017 3:44 pm

Bodie_Rose wrote:

Then I suppose it boils down to what you believe.

Personally I don't believe in Satan or demons as entities. Therefor such places would have very little effect on me other than sadness that people might have died due to people's religious sadism.

Auschwitz is a place of real, physically proven evil.
Look, just because of jackasses like the guy in My Amityville Horror doesn't mean demons don't exist. They are actually very real but that's for you to do the research but your skepticism does not serve you friend. My wife is in fact Polish and we hate all that crap that went on in the camps but that's a completely different issue.
"Everything's sliding into place. Just ONE more sacrifice Lisa."

User avatar
Bodie_Rose
Amityville Addict
Posts: 155

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by Bodie_Rose » Wed May 31, 2017 1:56 am

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Bodie_Rose wrote:

Then I suppose it boils down to what you believe.

Personally I don't believe in Satan or demons as entities. Therefor such places would have very little effect on me other than sadness that people might have died due to people's religious sadism.

Auschwitz is a place of real, physically proven evil.
Look, just because of jackasses like the guy in My Amityville Horror doesn't mean demons don't exist. They are actually very real but that's for you to do the research but your skepticism does not serve you friend. My wife is in fact Polish and we hate all that crap that went on in the camps but that's a completely different issue.
Oh I'd believe in demons if only there was any real evidence of them. I've spend years working as a psychiatric nurse and you have no idea how many people I see who claim to be possessed by demons or the devil himself, they're all mentally ill of course.

I did my psychiatry thesis on the famous case of Anneliese Michel, a mentally ill German woman who died after months of exorcisms in 1976. I see the same kind of behaviour every single day, we've had patients who eat flies, lick their own urine, display extraordinary physical strength, go into trances and start speaking in strange guttural voices.

We have had patients who have been convinced that demons have infested their houses, even one woman who killed her two week old daughter because she believed the baby was possessed. Most of them do eventually respond to treatment and even (depending on what kind of illness they have) return to normal life.

My work experiences are one of the primary reasons for my skeptism, I've just about seen it all, even limited telekinesis... particularly in mentally disturbed adolescents. All are within the realm of scientific possibility and nothing supernatural at all.

I'd like to ask you what you would do if you met these people... would you believe their "demons" were real and not just the demons of psychiatric illness?

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9687
Contact:

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed May 31, 2017 3:14 am

Bodie_Rose wrote:I've just about seen it all, even limited telekinesis... particularly in mentally disturbed adolescents.
I'd like to hear more about that - this occurred in the hospital?

User avatar
Bodie_Rose
Amityville Addict
Posts: 155

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by Bodie_Rose » Wed May 31, 2017 4:08 am

sherbetbizarre wrote:
Bodie_Rose wrote:I've just about seen it all, even limited telekinesis... particularly in mentally disturbed adolescents.
I'd like to hear more about that - this occurred in the hospital?
Yes, it did. However, even these cases have a certain amount of skeptism attached to them. There may be other perfectly ordinary reasons why something might appear to move or fall all by itself. Even I can't be certain what I've witnessed was "real" or not. All I can be really sure of is in one case, the teenaged girl was suffering some kind of seizure at the time and an EEG test carried out just after showed distinct abnormal brain activity.

Never the less such phenomenon has been observed all over the world and does seem to usually involve children around the age of puberty.

The theory is that changes in the brain that occur at puberty involve fluctuations in electron activity that, in rare cases, can create disturbances up to a few metres around the outside of the brain.

As far as I've observed, additional psychological problems in adolescents seem to create the strongest brain activity disturbances. Then there is the abnormal physical strength they often display, it can be quite alarming to see some skinny little 12 year old girl overpower numerous grown men at the same time.

jecht
Amityville Member
Posts: 56
Location: Chesterland OH USA
Contact:

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by jecht » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:34 pm

Bodie_Rose wrote:
sherbetbizarre wrote:
Bodie_Rose wrote:I've just about seen it all, even limited telekinesis... particularly in mentally disturbed adolescents.
I'd like to hear more about that - this occurred in the hospital?
Yes, it did. However, even these cases have a certain amount of skeptism attached to them. There may be other perfectly ordinary reasons why something might appear to move or fall all by itself. Even I can't be certain what I've witnessed was "real" or not. All I can be really sure of is in one case, the teenaged girl was suffering some kind of seizure at the time and an EEG test carried out just after showed distinct abnormal brain activity.

Never the less such phenomenon has been observed all over the world and does seem to usually involve children around the age of puberty.

The theory is that changes in the brain that occur at puberty involve fluctuations in electron activity that, in rare cases, can create disturbances up to a few metres around the outside of the brain.

As far as I've observed, additional psychological problems in adolescents seem to create the strongest brain activity disturbances. Then there is the abnormal physical strength they often display, it can be quite alarming to see some skinny little 12 year old girl overpower numerous grown men at the same time.
These things have a half-life of sorts.
The Smurls are another interesting case.
Like God, demons and ghosts are on their own timeframes. Their timespans are not the same as humans.
This is fascinating.
Kosar to Slaughter! Touchdown Browns!

Amityville Rock
Amityville Addict
Posts: 261
Contact:

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by Amityville Rock » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:16 pm

Here's the thing. Call my an unbeliever if you like, but I want to witness visible unexplained phenomenon before I believe somebody is possessed. Sadly, many of the so-called symptoms of "spirit possession" are also those associated with well-documented types of mental illness.
Special Guest Star

est. 1999

User avatar
DC Fan
Amityville Addict
Posts: 341

Re: My Amityville Horror

Post by DC Fan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:42 pm

Amityville Rock wrote:Here's the thing. Call my an unbeliever if you like, but I want to witness visible unexplained phenomenon before I believe somebody is possessed. Sadly, many of the so-called symptoms of "spirit possession" are also those associated with well-documented types of mental illness.
Don't be sure that the mental illness route is any better or even any different in that those spooks in the skull are every bit as "visually unexplained".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP9zh6HwI3I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4SFyWilyV0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj7GmeSAxXo

Post Reply