General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Horror House for sale again [Amityville, Long Island]

Post by Dan the Damned » Mon May 24, 2010 3:05 pm

Go buy it, Evanguy! :P

http://www.newsday.com/classifieds
'Amityville Horror' house on market for $1.15M

The real estate listing for the house that went on the market today at 108 Ocean Ave. refers to it as a “legendary” home.” But most people would know the Dutch Colonial on the canal as the so-called Amityville Horror house.

Listed for $1.15 million, the picturesque and pristine five-bedroom, 3-1/2-bath home looks very different from the home where Ronald DeFeo Jr. murdered six family members as they slept in 1974. The crime spawned the 1977 book “The Amityville Horror: A True Story” and a series of movies starting in 1979.

Even the address is different. Previous owners had it changed from 112 Ocean Ave. to protect their privacy after hordes of onlookers came to see the house following all the publicity.

The current owners have renovated the boat house, added a new bulkhead, central air conditioning and a gas heating system and installed a new roof, inground sprinklers, a central stereo system, a deck and a patio.

The house was built in 1927.

"It's one of the more beautifully redone houses in the neighborhood," says listing agent Laura Zambratto of Daniel Gale Sotheby's International Realty.

RRusso1982
Amityville Member

Re: Horror House for sale again

Post by RRusso1982 » Mon May 24, 2010 3:20 pm

I wish Mr. Wilson luck selling that house with its history for over $1 million in this market

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Mon May 24, 2010 3:36 pm

Yes, not the best market to be selling a house -- haunted or not...

Jetstar3D
Shiner

Post by Jetstar3D » Mon May 24, 2010 3:59 pm

Check out the pics, for most of us these offer the first glimpses of the interior since the Cromarty's stay

http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/real ... .1942047#5

Look closely, it appears the fireplace demon is still there

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon May 24, 2010 5:15 pm

The house looks AMAZING...

More pics HERE

dnddad324
Tedbot is my Canadian beer whore

Post by dnddad324 » Mon May 24, 2010 5:51 pm

$ 21,500.00 FOR TAXES?!?!?!?!?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
[img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/dnddad324.jpg[/img]

tomspy77
Son of Davros

Post by tomspy77 » Mon May 24, 2010 6:36 pm

You know you are sort of addicted to this particular subject when these pics really make your day. :lol:

Will Amity Files be saving copies of the photos? I can' t believe those photo's!!

Eric Walter
Independent Artist

Post by Eric Walter » Mon May 24, 2010 6:56 pm

tomspy77 wrote:Will Amity Files be saving copies of the photos? I can' t believe those photo's!!
Way ahead of ya. ;) The current owner really has done wonders with the place.
"All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare." - Baruch Spinoza

# 13
The Creepin Yeti

Post by # 13 » Mon May 24, 2010 7:04 pm

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ya know someone will buy it too for that price!!! I would if I had the cash to just throw around.

From the Newsday article:
It’s not the only notorious Long Island house on the market. Recently, the East Meadow expanded ranch where serial killer Joel Rifkin used to live, sometimes bringing victims back to the house, was listed for $424,500.
Well well well, take that 108 :lol: LOL. Who the hell is Joel Rifkin???????????
"Either the most complex and sophisticated hoax in the history of Anthropology has continued for centuries without being exposed or the most manlike and largest non human primate has managed to survive in parts of North America and remains undiscovered by modern science."
Prof G.W.Gill - President of the American Board of Forensic Anthropology

Just Simon
There is no spoon....

Post by Just Simon » Mon May 24, 2010 7:08 pm

It will sell....I heard Arch is on his way over.

It really is a beautiful home...
Cheers,

Simon

bella2005
Great Scott!

Post by bella2005 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:18 pm

WOW! I am so excited to see the pictures. What a beautiful home! I love that new addition Mr. Wilson put on.

KevinW
Amityville Maniac

Post by KevinW » Mon May 24, 2010 9:31 pm

You know, my birthday is Wednesday. If you all want to get me something very nice, I'll invite ya over for the party. ;)

Kevin
All football is is a bunch of over-pumped jocks on steroids who say they're straight while they smack each other's behinds and chase each other around on a field so they can tackle another guy to play with that guy's ball.

Christopher Lutz
Amityville Member

Post by Christopher Lutz » Mon May 24, 2010 11:36 pm

The House looks absolutly fantastic... Beautifully done Mr. Wilson !!!

Looks much nicer than when I lived there.

for poster #13 ,
you wanted to know "who the hell is Joel Rifkin?"

here is a link to TRUtv crime library and just the first paragraph:
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/seri ... kin/1.html

Joel David Rifkin: New York's Most Prolific Serial Killer

By Michael Newton

The Gardener

New York state troopers Sean Ruane and Deborah Spaargaren were patroling Long Islands Southern State Parkway at 3:15 a.m. on June 28, 1993, when they spotted a Mazda pickup truck with no rear license plate. When flashing red lights failed to stop the driver, they used the loudspeaker, ordering the driver to halt. But he accelerated, speeding down the next off-ramp, into the streets of Wantagh.

shane2801
Amityville Addict

Post by shane2801 » Tue May 25, 2010 2:29 am

Time share anyone??? :dance:

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Tue May 25, 2010 4:53 am

The house looks good inside, though I wouldn't mind seeing some shots of the upper floor besides the balcony overlooking the water ... great view of the water ...

Oh yeah I think I have a spare $1.15 million USD hanging around somewhere ...

I can see Dan passing around the hat!
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

costerluver
Amityville Addict

Post by costerluver » Tue May 25, 2010 5:31 am

Christopher Lutz wrote:The House looks absolutly fantastic... Beautifully done Mr. Wilson !!!

Looks much nicer than when I lived there.
What was it like when you lived there? Did your family make any major changes to the way it looked when the Defeos lived there?
Some people are like slinkies. They're really good for nothing but they still put a smile on your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

By the time you finish reading this you would have realized that it doesn't say anything worth reading and that you just wasted 5 seconds of your life

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Tue May 25, 2010 5:45 am

The sale has made the UK press....
Amityville Horror house goes on sale for £800,000 (but could you spend the night there?)

The house made famous in the 1979 film The Amityville Horror is up for sale in New York - ghosts not included.

The five-bedroom Dutch Colonial went on the market yesterday for $1.15 million (£800,000).
In 1974, six members of the DeFeo family were shot dead as they slept in the house. The eldest son, Ronald DeFeo, called police to report the slayings. He was convicted of the murders aged 23.

When he confessed, he told detectives: 'Once I started, I just couldn’t stop. It went so fast.'

George and Kathleen Lutz purchased the house after the murders, thinking it would be their dream home.

But the dream quickly turned to nightmare as a supernatural horror appeared to haunt the house. After just 28 terrifying days they fled for their lives.

According to Jay Anson's book the house at 112 Ocean Avenue remained empty for thirteen months after the DeFeo murders.

In December 1975, the Mr and Mrs Lutz bought the house for what was considered to be a bargain price of $80,000.
The six-bedroom house was built in Dutch Colonial style, and had a distinctive gambrel roof.
It also had a swimming pool and a boathouse, as it was located on a canal.

George and Kathy married in July 1975 and each had their own homes, but they wanted to start afresh with a new property.

Kathy had three children from a previous marriage, Daniel, nine, Christopher, seven, and Melissa (Missy), five.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... -sale.html

According to the comments, the rest of the article they stole from wikipedia!

However, the most interesting comment is:
I remember when this book came out. I was working at the local gas company dispatch office. We sent a repair man to a house where their furnace was not working. The repair man said he couldn't go down the cellar. Apparantly he just finished reading the book and was too frightened.

- Wade garrett, Kansas city, 25/5/2010 12:49
:lol:

# 13
The Creepin Yeti

Post by # 13 » Tue May 25, 2010 11:24 am

Christopher Lutz wrote:

for poster #13 ,
you wanted to know "who the hell is Joel Rifkin?"

here is a link to TRUtv crime library and just the first paragraph:
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/seri ... kin/1.html
Thanks Christopher. I had never heard of the guy.

BTW, I heard about the house being up for sale on local radio today as well. Word got around quick.
"Either the most complex and sophisticated hoax in the history of Anthropology has continued for centuries without being exposed or the most manlike and largest non human primate has managed to survive in parts of North America and remains undiscovered by modern science."
Prof G.W.Gill - President of the American Board of Forensic Anthropology

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Tue May 25, 2010 11:39 am

And suddenly every AT member started playing LOTTO once again...

I'm surprised there aren't more photos, including the master bedroom and master bath. Aren't those two room usually always included in home sales? Unless they're not up to par, I guess...

eber3
complete jackass

Post by eber3 » Tue May 25, 2010 12:49 pm

Dan the Damned wrote: I'm surprised there aren't more photos, including the master bedroom and master bath. Aren't those two room usually always included in home sales?
Just a guess, but maybe they haven't posted those online or printed them in newspapers simply to avoid looky loos who are only interested in the history of the house. I know I've heard before that with infamous houses real estate companies will some times not even let people view the house with out running their credit first just to make sure they are legitimate customers. If that's what they are thinking, I can see them not wanting to post pics of the rooms where bodies were found.

Shawn
Been there, Done that

Post by Shawn » Tue May 25, 2010 1:15 pm

OMG! The house looks beautiful!!!! Especially the sun room!!!!!

Hi Chris! Long time no see! You just must come to chat one of these days! (still Thursdays) :clap:
Any and all comments made by the poster "Shawn" are purely his opinion and do not reflect the opinions of the board owners, administrators or moderators. Also, all postings done by the member "Shawn" are property of "Shawn" and cannot be reproduced in any way shape or form without written permission from the poster known here(@http://www.amityvillefaq.com) as "Shawn". TIA.