I'm curious How many of you think Amityville Is Haunted ?

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics

Re: I'm curious How many of you think Amityville Is Haunted

Postby Dan the Damned » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:30 pm

Grim_Reaper wrote:
sherbetbizarre wrote:In reality it was a cheque that went missing, not cash.

im pretty sure it was cash in the book

Yes, it was cash in the book and movie, but in real life it was a check (according to George). I remember George telling us that, but it doesn't seem to make sense -- if it was a check that went missing, there is no loss (unless Jodie cashes it).

Just another thing I never got a chance to ask for more details about.

And in one of the interviews, George describes it as cash... :?
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby Fnord » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Dan the Damned wrote:Gotcha. But I just don't feel that an acute sense of anxiety and fear could explain away everything they claim to have experienced. And that's a shame, because otherwise it would be a great explanation. I have considered that possibility before. At the moment I can't remember my exact reasoning for abandoning that idea, but certain things didn't seem to fit the idea that it was all in their heads. Things like their dog cowering from the red room and the priest being slapped without the family's knowledge. Both Kathy and George seeing the red eyes at the same time..

I heard an interview with Mary Pascarella Downey where she refers to the house as a 'vortex' of sorts. It's possible, in my mind, that the location of the house matters in some way. Maybe they were anxious, stressed out, nervous etc. and/or in a vulnerable state coupled with something potentially odd in the locale that caused them to spook.

I'm not really suggesting that it was all in their heads... but that perhaps some confluence of conditions culminated into a vehicle that allowed them to notice things that they otherwise might not have noticed.

Anyway, regarding location, have you ever heard of Ed Leedskalnin? Interesting story about a guy who single handedly quarried, moved and carved tons of coral in Florida without benefit of any sort of modern machinery. He built the Coral Castle and in his book he talks about using natural magnetism to help him in his tasks. Of course, the explanation of how he did it all could be mundane, but his written work and things that he told others, not to mention some of his experiments (engine run on magnetics alone) indicate that he had found some way to use magnetic properties of the earth to aid him. The point to my bringing this up is that he also said some areas have more concentrated energy available than others (Ley lines?) Mary Downey's assessments seem to line up to this theory.

All speculation, all an attempt to understand.

Dan the Damned wrote:...not to mention the levitations.

That's the part where I just want to discard it all. All of the rest of the story seems plausible. Fringe, yes, but possible in some abnormal sense. Whenever George mentioned levitations in his interviews, though, it made/makes me question the whole story. It's the balancing factor to the motive for me. If it weren't for the levitation aspect I might be inclined to believe George's story (or at least that he's being truthful) and be done with it since I don't see premeditation (for a lot of reasons) and I don't see two people, tested separately, fooling a lie detector while telling the same lie. One person, maybe, but not two.

And the mystery continues :)
Fnord
Amityville Member

Postby Dan the Damned » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:02 pm

Fnord wrote:I'm not really suggesting that it was all in their heads...

Oh, I misunderstood then. Gotcha.

Fnord wrote:Anyway, regarding location, have you ever heard of Ed Leedskalnin? Interesting story about a guy who single handedly quarried, moved and carved tons of coral in Florida without benefit of any sort of modern machinery. He built the Coral Castle and in his book he talks about using natural magnetism to help him in his tasks.

The name isn't familiar, but I have seen stories on TV about the Coral Castle. Interesting.

Fnord wrote:
Dan the Damned wrote:...not to mention the levitations.

That's the part where I just want to discard it all. All of the rest of the story seems plausible.

Exactly. Same with me. In fact, I think George even mentioned that most people seem to have trouble with that part of the story. And some claim that in one of his court cases, he testified that the levitation of Kathy was something like 2 inches or so. (I haven't seen the transcripts of the trial where he states this, so I don't know if it's true or not.)

At some point (probably in the 80s) I read one of the sequel books. I can't remember which one it was, but it detailed a trip the Lutzes took to Japan, and talked about an experience George had where he was teleported (for lack of a better term) into some other dimension.

At that point I felt "this is too much" and wrote off the entire thing as a hoax. Now I'm more apt to believe that this was one of those fiction books, labeled as "non-fiction" by the publisher (either out of carelessness or to increase sales).
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby Architect of light 75 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:04 am

deliveranceminister wrote:Im curious . How many of you think that Amityville House on Ocean Avenue is haunted? Do you think the demons in that house caused the deaths of the Defeo family ? I think so.

http://www.HauntedHouseBuster.com

It's haunted because.. I've been there..

:idea:
:rotate: http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/viewtopic.php?t=4373

"[..] It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step."

*Architect Of Light :idea:
Architect of light 75
Father Bolen's son

Postby shane2801 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:35 pm

It's not haunted. A big hoax. I'm more fascinated with the murders
shane2801
Amityville Addict

Postby Dan the Damned » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:54 pm

shane2801 wrote:It's not haunted. A big hoax. I'm more fascinated with the murders

But... But... But Arch has been there! ;)
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby Architect of light 75 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:57 pm

Dan the Damned wrote:
shane2801 wrote:It's not haunted. A big hoax. I'm more fascinated with the murders

But... But... But Arch has been there! ;)

Right + "Castle Keep" is a simple movie, The House was surely haunted then !!! :twisted:

:idea:
:rotate: http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/viewtopic.php?t=4373

"[..] It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step."

*Architect Of Light :idea:
Architect of light 75
Father Bolen's son

Postby Brendan72 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:27 am

Dan the Damned wrote:Supposedly shot himself. I think some believe he may have been killed rather than him having killed himself. There was a documentary about that a while back, though I forget all the specifics...

Just like the conspiracy theory that Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, and Janis Joplin were all killed by the government ...
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)
Brendan72
Forest Giant

Postby Chichibcc » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:35 am

Brendan72 wrote:
Dan the Damned wrote:Supposedly shot himself. I think some believe he may have been killed rather than him having killed himself. There was a documentary about that a while back, though I forget all the specifics...

Just like the conspiracy theory that Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, and Janis Joplin were all killed by the government ...

What???? There are people who actually believe this?

Talk about having an overactive imagination! :shock:
Actions speak louder than words....
Chichibcc
Cat Avatar Lover

Postby surferguy72 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:50 am

O.J Didnt do it either.lol :violin:
surferguy72
Amityville Addict

Postby vomit » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:01 pm

Brendan72 wrote:

Interesting. I was just re-reading "Break on Through" (a Doors Bio) and they did say the FBI was keeping a file on Morrison (probably Jim & janis as well). But unless the government was their drug & alcohol dealer I think it's safe to say this is crazy talk.
"In the Spring, we'd make meat helmets."
Dr. Evil
vomit
Amityville Addict

Postby Victoria Principles » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:34 pm

I beleive the house was haunted in both the DeFeo and Lutz cases. There was talk Ouija boards were used by both Dawn and Ron Jr and the Lutzs.
Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Postby reneel123 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:02 pm

My interest is primarily in the DeFeo murders, not in the Lutz hauntings, though I do believe some scary things probably happened to them. I have not been able to reach a conclusion about whether I think the haunting of the Lutz family was from the DeFeo murders or whether the DeFeo family was a victim of the supernatural as well. I tend to think the DeFeo family was a victim of it, too. I know Ronnie was a druggie and all of that, but I am having a hard time coming to an acceptable theory on why no one attempted to run and almost no one was even awake at the time that shots number 2-8 were fired. To be honest, I kind of lean toward the phantomania explanation...just because I can't think of another one. I don't much like the only one that fits. It scares the bejeezus out of me.
reneel123
Amityville Member

Postby AmityvilleAddiction » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:01 am

I myself don't believe that Ronnie Defeo Jr (Butch) was influenced by a spirit.We all have heard that the house was built on an old indian burial ground,but documents have show that its not built on any such land,and if so,then why only this house? why not next door? (meaning the spirit/spirits,posessing the people) Why would this spirit Ketchum only be on that small piece of property,where the house is sitting? I believe this was a young man,who was hurting inside,and reached his limit,and couldn't take anymore,and simply lost it,i have read many times that he,and his dad were always in an arguement.Do i believe that there is something,or someone there?? i do 100%
AmityvilleAddiction
Amityville Member

Postby Grim_Reaper » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:11 pm

while i dont know the story of Ketchum all that well the particular spot where the house is located is supposedly where an indian cheif was burried and a boy living there around the turn of the century dug up and removed teh skull and played with it like a football.
Going by Hans Holzer this is supposedy when the troubles started

but Holzer also wrote a fictional story supposedly based on this and teh story of the 'Ocean Born Mary' house (which i happen to be reading at the moment)
Grim_Reaper
Amityville Addict

Postby Chichibcc » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:14 pm

I think something paranormal did occur while the Lutzes' were in the house...as far as if the DeFeos' were affected by such activity, I'm still on the fence about that at the moment.
Actions speak louder than words....
Chichibcc
Cat Avatar Lover

Postby Dan the Damned » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:34 am

Grim_Reaper wrote:while i dont know the story of Ketchum all that well the particular spot where the house is located is supposedly where an indian cheif was burried and a boy living there around the turn of the century dug up and removed teh skull and played with it like a football.
Going by Hans Holzer this is supposedy when the troubles started

Holzer gave two very conflicting versions of that story, so I call BS on Holzer... :naughty:

The one you are talking about is the one Holzer recounts on the DVD commentary track. He says a rainstorm uncovered the buried skeleton in 1904, and a kid passing by saw it, took the skull and played football with it.

In his book "Murder in Amityville," Holzer recounts the investigations he did in 1977 with his psychic friend Ethel Johnson Meyers (one in William Weber's office :?: and the other being a seance inside the actual house in January of 1977). Despite Ethel describing the DeFeos as "a family of four," :doh: everyone remains riveted as Ethel goes on to relate a story of how the buried skeleton of the Indian chief was dug up around the year 1800, as the farmer who owned the property was digging a new well. His son takes the skull, puts a candle in it, and rides around town on his pony carrying the illuminated skull attempting to scare the townsfolk.

Both stories end with the spirit of the Indian Chief being very upset that his skull was used as a toy, and instead of just getting his revenge on the boy, he decides to curse the property, and all sorts of bad things (according to Holzer/Meyers) are said to have taken place there ever since.

Again, I call bullsh*t -- especially due to being given two clearly different version of the same event taking place 100 years apart, let alone Ethel's vision of the DeFeos as a family of 4 (instead of 7) and the fact that a supposed curse over the decades would be satisfied with causing minor things like divorces and financial problems for everyone, except in 1974, when it goes wild and causes Ronnie to slaughter his entire family.

Holzer has no credibility here in my eyes. Laura DiDio and the Lutzes had discovered evidence that an Indian burial ground may have been located on the property. I think Holzer jumped on that notion and ran with it. His investigations were done in conjunction and with the cooperation of William Weber, and the resulting book was made as part of that deal he had with Weber. Later the film rights for that book were sold (giving Weber (and possibly Holzer) a profit) which was the basis for the film "Amityville II."

Also in the DVD commentary, Holzer claims the skeleton is still under the Amityville home, and that Seth Purdy from the Amityville Historical Society told him it was true. But when you read Purdy's interview (in Holzer's book, as well as on Holzer's documentary) Seth says only that he heard of a story where a skeleton was found (in a standing position, possibly denoting it as an Indian chief) and that it was located about a quarter of a mile down the road (south) from the horror house. He never says that ANY skeleton had been found on the grounds of the horror house. So there is, in fact, no confirmation of Holzer's claims at all.

Holzer's information on this matter (as well as with the majority of his DVD commentary) is way off the wall, and doesn't mesh with anyone else's stories or, indeed, any of the evidence.
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby Christopher Lutz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:55 am

I concur, Holzer's theory is BS.
Christopher Lutz
Amityville Member

Postby High Hopes » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:47 am

Christopher Lutz wrote:I concur, Holzer's theory is BS.

AGREED!! :applause:
"The wheel locked" I'd blame Detorit, a lot faster than I would the Devil!
High Hopes
High Hopes on Ocean Avenue

Postby KevinW » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:56 pm

Christopher Lutz wrote:I concur, Holzer's theory is BS.

As they say on Mythbusters, busted!

Kevin
All football is is a bunch of over-pumped jocks on steroids who say they're straight while they smack each other's behinds and chase each other around on a field so they can tackle another guy to play with that guy's ball.
KevinW
Amityville Maniac

Postby csullivan » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:01 am

deliveranceminister wrote:Im curious . How many of you think that Amityville House on Ocean Avenue is haunted? Do you think the demons in that house caused the deaths of the Defeo family ? I think so.

http://www.HauntedHouseBuster.com

I have been following this story since I was a child...sometimes I forget about it but I always seem to come back...it is almost like I am drawn to it...I have had experiences in my own life that I can not explain ...as far as the Amityville House is concerned...yes, I do believe George & Kathy Lutz ...I have never doubted them...even though other owners claim they have experienced nothing,I still believe there is something in that house..I dont know nor can I explain it..maybe Ronnie was possessed by some force but,he has changed his story so many times that I can not believe anything he says.
csullivan
Amityville Maniac

PreviousNext

Return to Amityville Discussion