AMC's Top 12 Haunted House Movies

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics

AMC's Top 12 Haunted House Movies

Postby UFAlien » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:25 pm

AMC's filmsite keeps a list of the top 12 haunted house movies. All the usual suspects are there - Burnt Offerings, The Grudge, The Haunting, House on Haunted Hill, et cetera.

The top three haunted house films, according to some sort of weighted voting system, are Poltergeist, The Shining, and the original 1979 version of The Amityville Horror. I found the list, voted for Amityville, and lo and behold, the order changed when I reloaded the page. As of that moment, The Amityville Horror beats out Poltergeist for the honor of second best haunted house film by one point, and is placed only behind The Shining (and various arguments could be made that said film is not a haunted house movie at all).

I know this isn't exactly huge news, but I found it refreshing - I've always been of the mind that Poltergeist was a bigger-budget, kiddified take on Amityville with too much focus on the effects and not enough in the way of real atmosphere or scares.

Here's the link: http://movies.amctv.com/movie-guide/best-haunted-house-movies.php#

Anyone else agree? Disagree? Thoughts on the list's other films?

EDIT: Now it's two points ahead :dance:
UFAlien
Amityville Addict

Re: AMC's Top 12 Haunted House Movies

Postby Sweet Zuni » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:32 pm

I can't believe they would add, "Beetlejuice" in that list. :fp: They need to add, "The Changeling" on there because I.M.O, that is one of the best haunted house movies ever!!
Sweet Zuni
Wicked As It Seems

Postby kathyM » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:28 pm

Omg! The changeling is the best movie ever! If any of you here have not seen this, go and get it, it is a must see! This is the one with George C. Scott in it, I think there is another movie also called the changeling.
kathyM
Princess

Postby KevinW » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:26 pm

kathyM wrote:Omg! The changeling is the best movie ever! If any of you here have not seen this, go and get it, it is a must see! This is the one with George C. Scott in it, I think there is another movie also called the changeling.

I think I found the trailer.

Couple of those scenes seem familiar. Looks pretty spooky.

Kevin
All football is is a bunch of over-pumped jocks on steroids who say they're straight while they smack each other's behinds and chase each other around on a field so they can tackle another guy to play with that guy's ball.
KevinW
Amityville Maniac

Postby tomspy77 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:48 pm

Changeling looks good, but I love Poltergeist. :D
tomspy77
Son of Davros

Postby Boogeyman » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:18 am

to bad that the exorciat is not on the list that is also in a house right
My name is Legion: for we are many.
Boogeyman
Wandering in Darkness

Postby Sweet Zuni » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:21 pm

The Changeling is GREAT and one of my all time favorites!! I recommend it to anyone that loves haunted house movies. George C. Scott was great in this movie!!
Sweet Zuni
Wicked As It Seems

Postby KevinW » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:21 pm

Found that The Changeling is on YouTube. I've only watched a couple scenes, but I think I've seen this only once when I was a little kid and it was on TV. I've been trying to figure out for years what movie it was I watched, and I think I've finally found it.

Kevin
All football is is a bunch of over-pumped jocks on steroids who say they're straight while they smack each other's behinds and chase each other around on a field so they can tackle another guy to play with that guy's ball.
KevinW
Amityville Maniac

Postby tomspy77 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:25 pm

Thanks Kevin, will have to give this a watch soon, the trailer looked pretty good and I loved the little bit about a senator having owned the house and having information on the haunting...not sure why I think that is so interesting, I just do. :P
tomspy77
Son of Davros

Postby tomspy77 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:26 pm

Boogeyman wrote:to bad that the exorciat is not on the list that is also in a house right

Yeah, but that was more demonic possession then haunting...
tomspy77
Son of Davros

Postby Boogeyman » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:34 pm

tomspy77 wrote:
Boogeyman wrote:to bad that the exorciat is not on the list that is also in a house right

Yeah, but that was more demonic possession then haunting...

i would call it more Inhuman Haunting. with possession
Boogeyman
Wandering in Darkness

Postby Tisha » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:01 pm

I LOVED The Changeling. I remember seeing it when I was little and it scared the (beep!) out of me. A few months ago, I found the dvd at an FYE store in the mall and got it. It's still scary. I highly recommend it for anyone who likes haunted house/ ghost movies. :D
Tisha
Amityville Addict

Postby Dan the Damned » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:21 pm

I don't think The Exorcist should be on a list of "haunted house" movies (but definitely on a list of "horror movies").

Then again, I also don't think The Sentinel should be on that list (but it is). It's not about a haunted dwelling, but rather an apartment house that serves as the literal gateway to Hell. So, as with The Exorcist, it deals with devils, demons and tortured souls, not ghosts.

My own personal feeling is that no one has really made a definitive haunted house movie to date.
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby csullivan » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:38 pm

dan you are so wrong.. you know beetlejuice has to be the best haunted house movie :roll: :lol:
csullivan
Amityville Maniac

Postby Dan the Damned » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:27 am

Yeah, that's a weird one, too. "Beetlejuice" is a comedy, so it doesn't seem right to include it on this list (even though it is technically a movie about ghosts and a haunted house).

Plus "Monster House" & "Burnt Offerings" are both films where the house isn't haunted, but alive. No ghosts or "haunting" involved.
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby Boogeyman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:08 am

1408 is the worst movie i ever have seen x)
Boogeyman
Wandering in Darkness

Postby Sweet Zuni » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:01 am

I fell asleep on 1408, so I guess that tells you, I didn't find it scary!! :lol:
Sweet Zuni
Wicked As It Seems

Postby Boogeyman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:46 pm

haha i watched it completly the begin was normal good equipment to find any paranormal activity but then it just was getting worse so waste of time
Boogeyman
Wandering in Darkness

Postby csullivan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:26 pm

nver seen 1408...looks like iam not missing anything
csullivan
Amityville Maniac

Postby csullivan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:32 pm

i was lookng at that list again and there are a few i have not seen..sentinel,monster house,legend of hell house,the haunting,house on haunted hill &1408...that is half of them that i have not seen
csullivan
Amityville Maniac

Postby Dan the Damned » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:56 pm

The 1963 of "The Haunting" is very good. Maybe the only one I can truly recommend.

1977's "The Sentinel" is a childhood favorite of mine (as with "Burnt Offerings") so it's hard for me to know if I should recommend it or not (not sure if I'd like it viewing it for the first time as an adult). I think it's a lot of fun, especially when Burgess Meredith is on the screen.

"Monster House" is a cartoon, but I think I enjoyed watching it. Wouldn't watch it again, though.

I saw "The Legend of Hell House" when it was in theaters. I was very young and snuck into the theater. Scared the crap out of me. I've watched it since, but can't remember if I liked it or not.

"The House on Haunted Hill" is good. Not great. I forget if this was remade or not, but I'm talking about the version with Vincent Price.

But you might wanna take my reviews with a grain of salt, as I enjoyed "1408"... :-|
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Next

Return to Amityville Discussion