Stigmatized Property

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
Cole00
Amityville Member

Re: Stigmatized Property

Post by Cole00 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:11 am

I know in mi where I live if a murder happens in a home they have to disclose that up to a yr anything before that they don't have to. As far as anything paranormal being it can not honestly be proved they would more then likely not disclose that. I feel they should but more then likely they wont

sweetmate
Amityville Member

Post by sweetmate » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:36 pm

OMG, I used to come on this board ALL the time about 12 years ago or so! It's nice to find it again. My husband and I almost bought a house where a murder/suicide had occured. To make it worse, I knew the woman who shot her boyfriend and then herself. She was a friend of my friend's mom. I knew about it going in to the deal but the realtor on the seller's side said nothing to us. I was secretly hoping the deal would fall through, and it did, because I just thought it was too weird knowing someone who had done the actual killing. My husand made fun of me saying, what do you think she's going to come back and get you? I was just creeped out and didn't want to know where it all happened until after the deal went sour. Now I know why the family room had all new carpet and paint! And on an aside, my sister's old house belonged to an old woman who passed away from totally natural causes in the house and not only did my sister see her, the people who bought the house, who my sister never told, came up to her in the grocery store and asked if the house was haunted. They saw her too!

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:01 pm

From the age of four to eighteen years old I slept in a bed
which was inherited from my great gran who passed away
in the summer of 1990 when I was a year and a half old.
She died of a heart attack in her sleep after dosing off in
her chair.

One night six years ago I was in my room playing keyboard
when my dad (who is usually very very quiet) had a bit to
drink and accidentely blurted out that my great gran had
actually died in my bed.

A week later they bought me a new bed.

I wasn't too fussed, because to me a piece of news hidden
from me for fourteen years wasn't going to change anything,
but to them they maybe thought it was creepy after all.

I guess it is just down to the person. If a person has died in
a house of natural causes I see no point in freaking out over
it. A house is a house.

Murdered? Maybe a little different...
as long as the affected furnishings, carpets etc are gone then
I see no problem. A house is a house. You can fill it with good energies.

I'm homeless so i'm used to not being fussy with properties.
That's maybe why my views are a little different.
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

quotestheraven
Amityville Addict

Post by quotestheraven » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:36 pm

I rented a house that had been the scene of a double murder. When the realitor took me through she didn't know. I told her.
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/ravensez/Page-1.jpg[/img]

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:32 pm

Council gives away £375,000 manor 'because it is haunted'

Wymering Manor in Portsmouth, Hants, is said to be haunted by a choir of nuns who scuttle across hallways as well as a host of unseen hands which reach out and touch passers by.

The property, thought to be the oldest house in Portsmouth having been mentioned in the 1086 Doomsday book, was placed on sale at an auction with a reserve price of £375,000 last year but failed to sell.
Portsmouth City Council have now donated the Grade II listed building to the Wymering Manor Trust along with a £30,000 grant for repair work.

The group will attempt to restore the house to its former glory, estimated at a total cost of more than £500,000, before opening it as a tourist attraction.

The spirits of whispering children and Sir Roderick of Porchester, who was murdered outside the manor in the middle ages, are said to be among the ghosts haunting the property.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... unted.html

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:01 pm

Haunted Home? You May Need to Disclose Before You Sell It.

Have you ever considered the possibility that the house you just bought is haunted, like in the movies “The Amityville Horror” or “A Haunting in Connecticut?”

Whether you prefer your housemates to be normal or paranormal, is it too much to ask for a straight answer on the presence of poltergeists before you get to closing?

Since one person’s ghost is the next guy’s windblown table cloth, determining the spectral state of a prospective home isn’t always easy. However, the law makes clear some important disclosure requirements (this article is not legal advice: real estate laws vary greatly by locality – always consult a lawyer if you’re looking to get involved with a stigmatized property).

Real estate with a checkered history, such as site of a murder, or even a potentially good history that could cause unwanted traffic/gawkers (e.g. George Washington slept here) may be classified as stigmatized property. This must be disclosed, because a home’s notoriety will affect the future value, either in wary buyers or unwelcome sightseers. Haunted houses may or may not fit the definition.

Generally speaking, the owners of stigmatized properties must disclose the stigmatization if they wish to sell the home. Disclosure requirements differ by state, but generally they address:

Criminal stigma: A property used in the ongoing commission of a crime is stigmatized because neighbors and criminals may know of its past. For example, a house is stigmatized if it has been used as a meth lab, chop shop, crack house, or brothel. Most jurisdictions require full disclosure of this sort of history.

Murder/suicide stigma: Some jurisdictions in the United States require property sellers to reveal if murder or suicide occurred on the premises. California state law does if the event occurred within the previous three years.

Debt stigma: Debt collectors not aware that a debtor has moved out of a particular residence may continue their pursuit at the same location, resulting in harassment to innocent subsequent occupiers. This is particularly pronounced if the collection agency uses aggressive tactics.

Phenomenon stigma: Many (but not all) jurisdictions require disclosure if a house is renowned for “haunting”, ghost sightings, etc. However, the key to establishing phenomenon stigma is that the house must by widely and publicly perceived as haunted before it is sold. The reasoning is that a property’s spooky reputation will affect its future value.

Ironically, the home where the “Amityville Horror” occurred, arguably the most famous modern day haunted house in the United States, would not qualify as stigmatized by haunting under this definition. In this house, Ronald DeFeo, Jr. murdered his family. Subsequently, the Lutz family bought the home and claimed that, a little over a year later, evil spirits drove them from their home. Their claims were “certified” by paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren. Because this occurred after the home was purchased, the Amityville home would not qualify as stigmatized by haunting. Since the film’s release, the house has been renovated and the address changed in an attempt to prevent sightseers from disturbing the neighborhood.
More at
http://www.totalmortgage.com/blog/mortg ... l-it/21310

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:24 am

Is house a scary good deal?

A prior owner says place was area’s “own version of the ‘Amityville Horror.’ ”

The sales listing for a Wilkes-Barre property touts it as an “authentic haunted house.”

City resident Betsy Summers, who lives across the street, designed the advertisement hoping to stir up interest in the 46 S. Welles St. property. The owner, Katherine Watkins, died last year, and Summers said she is trying to help the family sell it.

Summers said she’s not making up the haunted claim, which has been detailed in several published reports.

“It has a pretty nasty reputation,” she said.

The house was featured in several Times Leader news articles from 1979 through 1982, with one prior owner describing the place as the area’s “own version of the ‘Amityville Horror.’ ”

Walker Bennett told reporters he moved out of the property in 1978 because it was haunted.

He described the ghostly figures of a well-dressed man with a cane and a girl in a nightgown, inexplicable sounds coming from the attic and walls, and bloody spots on walls and pools in the living room.

Bennett said he witnessed his daughter trip at the top of a steep flight of stairs in January 1977 and float slow-motion through the air to land on her feet at the bottom, unharmed. His wife witnessed the same thing happen again a month later, he said.

He said he knocked down the wall in a back bedroom seeking the source of strange sounds coming from that area and discovered a tin box containing a red ribbon, human molar and chicken bones tied together in the form of a cross. He theorized the objects were part of a voodoo curse against industrialist Augustus C. Lanning, who built the house in the mid-1860s as part of his estate.

Bennett also found a photo of Lanning and said it was the same man who kept knocking on his door.

He blamed the haunting on family illnesses and stress and brought in a priest to bless the house.

The Bennett family fled the house, leaving expensive electronic equipment and many other belongings, in March 1978, when Walker said he awoke to a thunderous roar, even though the weather was clear. He described footsteps pounding in the attic, a rattling front door, dishes crashing in the kitchen and the cry of a child behind a wall.

News reports said prior inhabitants committed suicide in the home in 1950 and 1940.

Paranormal investigators Ed and Loraine Warren, famed for their investigation of the Amityville house in New York featured in the book and movie, toured the Welles Street property in March 1980. A photograph of Lorraine shows her holding her hand “as if in pain” as she emerged from the home.

“I sense a terrible despair. The effect on people who lived in this house was very, very negative,” she said.

Neighbors have expressed mixed opinions on whether it was haunted.

Watkins purchased the four-bedroom, mortgage-foreclosed property in August 1982 for $20,000, generating an article with the headline, “‘Haunted’ house sold in Heights.” Watkins told reporters she was not afraid of ghosts.

A representative of the mortgage holder said the property had been remodeled and occupied by tenants after the “ridiculous publicity” about the haunting. The tenants said the property was not haunted.

Summers said Watkins, who was her friend, told her her family experienced unexplained phenomena, such as a shaking bed, moving objects and a light or television turning off when the power was still on.

Paranormal investigators also have captured activity in photographs and on audio recordings, said Summers, a veterinary sales worker who has run for several local elected offices.

The 2,092-square-foot home is assessed at $63,200 and listed for sale at $30,000, though Summers said the family will consider any fair offers. Potential buyers can contact her at 610-955-6361.

The advertisement, which was listed in the Wilkes-Barre Independent Gazette, led to two showings of the property, she said.

“They were interested because it is haunted,” she said.

Summers said the family may opt to use the house for a haunted bed-and-breakfast if it doesn’t sell.

She said she regularly pops into the house to make sure it’s secure.

“I take care of what I have to do and get out. I try to ignore any noises I hear,” she said.
http://timesleader.com/news/local-news/ ... -good-deal

VampireKen
Amityville Film Historian

Post by VampireKen » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:42 pm

$30,000 for a house? they still sell houses for that amount :shock:
"Sometimes, it's not the house that's haunted. It's the People."-Self

For Info on Filming Details of the Amityville Horror Trilogy, please view http://amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6594&start=210

kathyM
Princess

Post by kathyM » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:41 pm

In Detroit you can get one for $5,000.

BooshaGirl
Amityville Addict

Post by BooshaGirl » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:04 pm

kathyM wrote:In Detroit you can get one for $5,000.
True. The neighborhood on the West Side of Detroit where I grew up (a very VERY nasty neighborhood now...but back then it was decent) is crazy cheap. I went on a tour of my old house that was up for sale a few years ago and it was very sad, indeed. I could have picked it up for 8 thousand dollars (and I thought about it), but when I figured I'd have to spend $30,000 to get it up to code, I quickly dismissed the idea. Besides, I don't want to be a landlord having to fix all the stuff that renters in THAT neighborhood destroy.

kathyM
Princess

Post by kathyM » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:37 pm

It is sad because there are some really cool old houses in Detroit that I would love to live in if they were fixed up. And yeah, I wouldn't put the money into fixing them up right now until the problems in Detroit get addressed.

Detroit used to be the place to go. I hope it can be revitalized. :)

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:24 am

Speaking about stigmatized property... I just put in a note of
enquiry for a council house where the previous owner has just died.
:o
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

kathyM
Princess

Post by kathyM » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:12 am

What is a council house?

Matt9290
Oh My Goodness

Post by Matt9290 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:21 am

kathyM wrote:What is a council house?
They are local authority houses Kathy.
In the UK the government gives funding to each city and town, which in turn have a local authority (or Council) and they spend these funds (supposedly) on what they feel would best benefit their constituents/voters.
The houses were build primarily for working class people who had lower paid jobs, thus could not afford to buy their own homes.
Ironically, in the 1920s when council homes were first being built, they were among the first houses in the country to have electricity, running water, bathrooms, indoor toilets etc...

Sadly (in my part of the UK) Council Estates are full of ''chavs'' i.e. unemployed junkies and alcoholics, and I avoid them like the plague! But this is not the case in other parts of the UK.

The council have taken to selling these houses now, so there are not as many of these types of homes as there once was. As a knock-on effect, we now have an increasing number of homeless people (many of whom are the result of circumstances beyond their control), who have to wait in line behind immigrants, single parents and junkies, who (for some reason) get preferential treatment!

If you are white, male and born in the UK - you find you will be bottom of the list for a council house!

That's my rant over :silenced:
I wish I had the nerve not to tip...

kathyM
Princess

Post by kathyM » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:00 am

Thanks Matt! I had no idea.

Hey Rokissun, do you know how the person died? If it was old age etc, or sucide or murder?

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:26 pm

He was reasonably young I think (late 30s to mid 40s)
but nobody knows how he died.

He was a heavy drinker and those who found him reckon
he had been laying there dead for ten days! They worked
this out by an unopened parcel containing medication which
was left unopened.

I doubt I will have a shot at the property. I've only been on the
homeless list for ten months. I need to wait at least another
eight to be housed so someone farther up the list will get it.

Council estates aren't common in my county, but many flats
do contain roudy 'neddy' (Sporty gangsters) people.

In Scotland if you are unemployed, have a low income or lose
your job it's very hard to pay for a mortgage or find a house to
let without a guarantour (someone in employment who will be
liable for your rent if you miss payments) so a lot of people end
up homeless, in hostels with younger people until the council
moves you into a council house which can take years.

In the hostel if you are unemployed and on benefits then you are covered by
housing benefit and only have to contribute towards service charges. If you
are not on benefits and working then 60% of your earnings go on rent (not
including service charge). At this stage people move onto scatter houses
which are bridges between hostels and houses. It's a temporary house or
appartment you remain at until you are offered a house, but because of the
new bedroom tax law... One bedroom scatters no longer exist, you have to
share with a complete stranger of whom you do not know.

There are some people who cheat the system though and become
'homeless' purely to get a 'free' (its not free lol) house, which angers
people like myself who genuinely are homeless and need to be homed.

Its a complicated system...

kathyM
Princess

Post by kathyM » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:48 pm

Wow, 10 months on the list is a long time. I hope you get a shot at it.

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:15 am

I hope so Kathy :cry: it's been far too long where I have been.

Matt9290
Oh My Goodness

Post by Matt9290 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:42 am

Good luck Rokiisun...
I'm sure a "Stigmatized Property" wouldn't put you off
I wish I had the nerve not to tip...

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:44 am

It won't ;)

Jacobmarley1
Amityville Addict

Post by Jacobmarley1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:16 am

Does this discussion relate to the Ireland house next door to the DeFeo house? Are realtors required to disclose that the house next door is subject to dedicated horror-junkie-hangers-on, due to the story called The Amityville Horror, and the various films based on the next door residence?

It is very possible that people going to look at the Ireland House have no prior knowledge of The Amityville Horror House being immediately next door.