AMITYVILLE: THE AWAKENING

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics

Re: AMITYVILLE: THE AWAKENING

Postby kudzu » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:06 pm

Finally watched it last night. Didn't hate it. It felt a bit rushed actually. Makes me wonder what it was like before the reshoots.
kudzu
Amityville Addict

Postby sherbetbizarre » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:53 pm

Success!

Weinstein Company’s ‘Amityville: The Awakening’ Grosses Minuscule $742

The Weinstein Company’s “Amityville: The Awakening” grossed a minuscule $742 total at 10 locations on Saturday, two weeks after the haunted house sequel began streaming for free on Google Play.

The Weinstein Company had planned to release “Amityville: The Awakening” several times since last year before scrubbing the release date. It announced on Sept. 21 — two weeks before the massive Harvey Weinstein scandal broke — that “Amityville: The Awakening” would be available for free exclusively on Google Play from Oct. 12 to Nov. 8 and have a limited one-day theatrical release on Oct. 28.

http://variety.com/2017/film/box-office ... 202601915/
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby Ayko » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:37 pm

Ayko wrote:So, let us see if we can get back onto a (hopefully mature and intelligent) discussion of things Amityville Horror related, such as the latest film, Amityville: The Awakening, starting with a concise review of where it stands.

The original plan for this film in 2010/2011 was a completely different film to be titled Amityville: The Lost Tapes using the 'found footage' routine. The story had a TV news reporter leading a team of journalists, clergy, and paranormal researchers into an investigation of the bizarre events now known as The Amityville Horror, only to open a portal to some hell dimension that nobody can close (without the Necranomicon I guess).

On May 15, 2011, Bob Weinstein announced in a press conference that the film would be released January 27, 2012 and that (quote), 'We are thrilled to return to the mythology of The Amityville Horror with a new and terrifying vision that will satisfy our existing fans and also introduce an entirely new audience to this popular haunting phenomenon...'. After delaying that release a couple of times the project was abandoned and the film shelved (even from DVD release and downloading theft). The writers, Casey La Scala and Daniel Farrands, were ordered to write another different story they can attach the Amityville name to. In March 2014, they came up with the awaited offering calling it a rewritten story/script for the (same) film retitled Amityville and scheduled it for release on January 2, 2015. Yes it is true but there is more...

Also in March and in April 2014 a new cast was hired without ever revealing the old cast members (luckily for them). In August 2014 the film was (again?) retitled, Amityville: The Awakening. In September 2014 the release was cancelled and not until May 2015 was a new release date announced to be on April 1 and then April 15, 2016. Test screenings forced the filmmakers and distributors (what a team eh sherbetbizarre?!) to push it off again and on March 8 it was announced the film would be released on January 6, 2016. In January 2016 pushed off to June 30, 2017. (Almost makes you think of that old A. Einstein not B. Weinstein expression of insanity doing the same thing over and over...)

On lucky June 7, 2017 the film release was cancelled with still no new release date although the film had its theatrical run in the Ukraine that began July 27, 2017 in over 800 theatres. At least the lucky Ukraine Folks have that horror story behind them now. The rest of us are still waiting for a new release date to be announced. Still, the Ukraine (and the rest of us) are still not out of the woods yet as someone must determine if Amityville: The Lost Tapes (fitting title they came up with before the fact) is the nineteenth Amityville film or Amityville: The Awakening, the rewritten and retitled and refound Lost Tapes that are actually still lost.

In any case, that is where we stand with that as we wait in oh such suspense and anticipation like some here do...

antny000 wrote:The reason I asked those questions is because, to be quite honest, I'm not sure what your gripe with this movie is exactly.

Perhaps you now understand what 'my gripe' is. The fact that you and some others take it all in stride, and the sanity behind doing that, is what needs explaining...

Crush, sherbetbizarre, antny000, and the rest, we are waiting for a response either in any of your usual series of sarcastic messages of 'unending intelligence', OR with a brief normal message to show you are slipping but willing to live by my rules. There is the option to not respond at all and in that case you can hand over the adminstrator pass codes now.

Ayko
-Sulu from Star Trek TOS: Cross reigns with Spock and he'll cut you to pieces everytime.-
Ayko
Amityville Addict

Postby Amit Y Ville » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:33 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:Success!

Weinstein Company’s ‘Amityville: The Awakening’ Grosses Minuscule $742

The Weinstein Company’s “Amityville: The Awakening” grossed a minuscule $742 total at 10 locations on Saturday, two weeks after the haunted house sequel began streaming for free on Google Play.

The Weinstein Company had planned to release “Amityville: The Awakening” several times since last year before scrubbing the release date. It announced on Sept. 21 — two weeks before the massive Harvey Weinstein scandal broke — that “Amityville: The Awakening” would be available for free exclusively on Google Play from Oct. 12 to Nov. 8 and have a limited one-day theatrical release on Oct. 28.

http://variety.com/2017/film/box-office ... 202601915/

Haha! I really hope they go out of business for screwing the fans over. They didn't get a penny from me! :clap:
"Everything's sliding into place. Just ONE more sacrifice Lisa."
Amit Y Ville
Amityville Addict

Postby Dan the Damned » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:56 pm

THE WEINSTEIN CO. SUED OVER 'AMITYVILLE HORROR' SEQUEL
Nov 15, 2017

Good news for The Weinstein Company ... It's being sued again, but not for sexual harassment.

The widow of the author of the novel, "The Amityville Horror" is suing Harvey Weinstein, Bob Weinstein and TWC, for allegedly ripping off her dead husband's work by creating a 2017 sequel.

Lesia Anson says the sequel is derived directly from her husband's novel and the 1979 film, both of which her husband created. She says the 2017 sequel -- "Amityville: The Awakening" is "a cinematic mess and received dreadful reviews." She goes on to say it suffered one of the worst opening weekends of all times, grossing $742 from 10 theaters.

She says TWC never even approached her for permission ... they just ripped her off.

The movie was released in late October ... after the Harvey Weinstein story broke.

Source: http://www.tmz.com/2017/11/15/the-weins ... or-sequel/
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby Amit Y Ville » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:49 pm

Dan the Damned wrote:
Nov 15, 2017

Good news for The Weinstein Company ... It's being sued again, but not for sexual harassment.

The widow of the author of the novel, "The Amityville Horror" is suing Harvey Weinstein, Bob Weinstein and TWC, for allegedly ripping off her dead husband's work by creating a 2017 sequel.

Lesia Anson says the sequel is derived directly from her husband's novel and the 1979 film, both of which her husband created. She says the 2017 sequel -- "Amityville: The Awakening" is "a cinematic mess and received dreadful reviews." She goes on to say it suffered one of the worst opening weekends of all times, grossing $742 from 10 theaters.

She says TWC never even approached her for permission ... they just ripped her off.

The movie was released in late October ... after the Harvey Weinstein story broke.

I agree with her. The film is possibly one of the worst sequels since Troll 2. Absolutely it is damaging to the franchise as a whole, and everyone involved with it should be ashamed.

There is true quality to be found in low budget movies like Amityville Asylum, this should have been in theatres not THAT monstrosity. Absolutely nothing of interest happened in Awakening only at the end.
"Everything's sliding into place. Just ONE more sacrifice Lisa."
Amit Y Ville
Amityville Addict

Postby Brendan72 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:52 pm

Amit Y Ville wrote:
I agree with her. The film is possibly one of the worst sequels since Troll 2. Absolutely it is damaging to the franchise as a whole, and everyone involved with it should be ashamed.

There is true quality to be found in low budget movies like Amityville Asylum, this should have been in theatres not THAT monstrosity. Absolutely nothing of interest happened in Awakening only at the end.

Is Amityville: The Awakening actually a sequel? I did not particularly regard it as one but rather as a standalone chapter in the franchise.

That aside, Jay Anson's widow's lawsuit against the Weinstein company is not good timing for the company in light of the scandal unfolding presently. These seem to overshadow the disastrous delays in releasing the film leading up to where we presently are.

I didn't find the movie itself to be terrible in the 'worst movie ever' sense however I did not find it good either. It felt rushed, generic and did not seem to deliver on scares like a horror movie is supposed to.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)
Brendan72
Forest Giant

Postby Dan the Damned » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:36 pm

I think that in a legal sense it would be considered a sequel. Much the same as "Amityville II" would be considered a sequel legally even though the popular category would be "prequel."

In terms of the movie bombing at the box office -- I really don't understand why the decision was made to allow it to be streamed for free online prior to its release to cinemas. Obviously that was the main culprit, not the fact that it was released by a company undergoing sexual harassment issues.

Another weird thing is how this film was originally the "Lost Tapes" movie, centered around "an ambitious female television news intern, on the verge of breaking the most famous haunted house case in the world, who leads a team of journalists, clergymen and paranormal researchers into an investigation of the bizarre events that will come to be known as The Amityville Horror."

Then, from what I remember, there were legal troubles due to the fact that they were basically filming a version of Laura DiDio's personal story without her permission. Not sure if Laura objected, herself, or if it was another film company who objected (there was talk of Laura selling the movie rights to her story to some outfit (not Weinstein)).

So then they basically scrapped the film and had to rewrite a totally different one (Awakening) -- and this one gets sued as well! What the hell? Talk about an Amityville curse! lol
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby saintlaz1 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:30 am

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Dan the Damned wrote:
Nov 15, 2017

You have to be kidding; give me awakinging any day over that abortion of asylum; now that is something that should be stopped. All these low budget garbage movies need a cease and desist
saintlaz1
Amityville Member

Postby Inmyeyes7 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:35 pm

I've watched it and yes it's not going to win any oscars i really think it was good JJL was a bit ham but way way way better than all the other crap out there :D
Inmyeyes7
Amityville Member

Previous

Return to Amityville Discussion