Good Housekeeping vs. The Amityville Horror

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
VampireKen
Amityville Film Historian

Good Housekeeping vs. The Amityville Horror

Post by VampireKen » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:01 am

I know George and Kathy were VERY upset with the Good Housekeeping article BUT after reading it, it seems more accurate than the book. opinions?
"Sometimes, it's not the house that's haunted. It's the People."-Self

For Info on Filming Details of the Amityville Horror Trilogy, please view http://amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6594&start=210

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Re: Good Housekeeping vs. The Amityville Horror

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:01 am

It was Prentice Hall who were upset - the article appeared before the book was out, and they feared if more appear, then who would buy the book if they already knew the whole story?

As it happened, I think the GH article was great publicity for the book, coming out a few months earlier.

So PH told the Lutzes to put a stop to these articles, hence the "invasion of privacy" suit against Weber/Hoffan & GH.

I assume PH didn't take legal action themselves as their contract with the Lutzes had yet to be finalized...

VampireKen

Post by VampireKen » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:06 am

I recall George saying in the History's Mysteries special that they "Never gave permission to print that article, we sued Hoffman, we sued Good Housekeeping, we sued Weber." I think considering it was (at the time) 23 years since the book was published it was ok to say that they didnt sue them by choice. But they did say it was their choice to sue.

For Info on Filming Details of the Amityville Horror Trilogy, please view http://amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6594&start=210

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:03 pm

George told me the same thing as Sherb posted. George told me that when Hoffman's article came out in Good Housekeeping, Prentice Hall immediately refused to print the book unless the Lutzes took legal action to prevent it from happening again. So, as George put it, they were forced to sue if they wanted Anson's book to come out.

But this is one of the things about this case I don't understand. For the Lutzes to sue, this shows they cared very much about the book deal. In other instances, it seemed like the thought of a book deal was happenstance, and that they didn't really care too much one way or the other.

Or maybe I have that "indifferent" attitude wrong. I think we discussed this before, but I think I mainly base it on the following passage from George (Lou Gentile/Unicon II). When I read this, that last paragraph to me seems like George's friend was under the false assumption that the Lutzes were shopping for a book deal (when all George wanted was to show him the ridiculous contract that Weber sent -- in a kind of "can you believe this guy" manner -- just as one friend would tell an anecdote to another on their encounter with a rude clerk at the supermarket or whatever). But maybe I'm just reading too much into it?
We went to his attorney, William Weber, and met with him. We got in touch with him through a friend of mine that I built and rode motorcycles with. His wife was a receptionist, I believe, or she worked for the dentist that Bill Weber went to. She said she knew him, so she got a hold of him for us, and he came out to Kathy's mom's house and we met with him.

Well that was probably one of the biggest mistakes we ever made -- even trying to help Ronald DeFeo -- because this guy was only interested in doing books and movies about the murders, and he was not interested in helping his client in that manner.

Eventually he came back to Kathy and I with a contract that is about 3/4 of an inch of paper, where he wanted us to do books and movies with him about this, and he wanted us to give him the house -- donate the house to this corporation he was gonna form. And I still have this contract -- this proposed contract from him. He wanted us to donate the house to him and all the contents and agree that for the rest of our lives we would appear anytime that he decided we should appear -- and we would talk about this on cue. But also that if we at any time told -- said -- anything that wasn't the truth, that we would receive no benefit from doing this.

So on the one hand he was making us swear to the truth, that everything we had told him was the truth -- and that was the reason why he was interested in doing this. On the other hand, he was going to control our lives one way or the other, either economically or physically even. And that was just an unconscionable kind of idea to become an indentured servant to someone who hadn't even -- didn't even know what we were talking about -- who had no real belief in anything that we had been through in terms of his own experience -- his own personal experience. He obviously believed us, because he put this contract together in such a way that he thought it was commercially viable.

A friend of mine who sold textbooks to colleges looked at this and said, "I know someone who you should talk to before you ever consider such a thing." I said, "Well we're not even considering this -- this is just an absurd idea," but he introduced us then to Tam Mossman who was an editor at Prentice-Hall Books -- Prentice Hall Trade Division. Tam Mossman was Jane Roberts -- who did the "Seth Speaks" books -- her editor. And I went and looked those up, and bought them and read them, and learned about -- even thought there was some really strange stuff in those books, that this was a guy who knew what he was talking about -- what he was doing -- who understood the paranormal at least one particular perspective, and I was now dealing with a credible company.
I know that's a long quote, especially as the main point only comes in that final paragraph, but I hated to chop it up when it gives a good description of how the book deal with Jay Anson came about.

Evanguy Reincarnated
Curiouser and curiouser

Post by Evanguy Reincarnated » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:19 pm

I personally enjoyed the GH article when it came out. I remember reading it and becoming very interested in the story. Since I have never read the book I have to credit the article first and then the movie for luring me into this story.
Like a child left to roam, you found me, your arms were my home

VampireKen

Post by VampireKen » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:41 pm

The GH article is more accurate than the book though, they leave like George said they did, "Calmly" as in they didnt "flee".

AutumnMaidenDove
Amityville Addict

Post by AutumnMaidenDove » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:00 am

I haven't had a chance to read the GH article. Is it available online?

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:02 am

It's in the 'newspaper archive' link at the bottom of the page.

AutumnMaidenDove
Amityville Addict

Post by AutumnMaidenDove » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:14 pm

Well for some reason I can't read it.

VampireKen

Post by VampireKen » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:44 pm

AutumnMaidenDove
Amityville Addict

Post by AutumnMaidenDove » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:19 pm

Thank you Ken for the link.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:44 pm

The following posts were deleted from this thread due to an accident:

daiichi wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:50 pm
So then is this article considered to be a reasonably accurate depiction of the Lutz family's experience? In other words, this is basically their narrative in its truest, original form? Because I notice some details are left out, such as the hooded demon at the top of the stairs and the demonic pig in Missy's room. Those seem like significant details to leave out, given that this article cites mundane things like George and Kathy (a newly married couple) having arguments as possible evidence of the haunting.

sherbetbizarre wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:08 pm
daiichi wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:50 pm
So then is this article considered to be a reasonably accurate depiction of the Lutz family's experience? In other words, this is basically their narrative in its truest, original form?
No, it would have been an unauthorized version, written by Paul Hoffman after he listened to them tell their story to William Weber.

daiichi wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:36 pm
I understand that Prentice Hall was upset about the publication of this article, but did George and Kathy read it and claim that they were misrepresented? I'm just wondering about that because the claims are rather pedestrian compared to other accounts that I've heard. Most of them relate to the Lutzes feelings in the house. George getting angry at Kathy or the kids. George and Kathy fighting. George showing people his boat too much. Kathy's sister-in-law playing with the kids too much, etc. And there's no mention of the hooded demon on the stairs, no mention of "Jodie" the demon pig. I don't think it even mentions the ghostie marching band downstairs.

So part of me feels like this article may be a little closer to the truth than later tellings that followed it (certainly better than the novel and Hollywood movies). Or is there another published account somewhere out there that Amityville enthusiasts point to as the most accurate depiction of George and Kathy's experience? I would imagine that the audiotape George and Kathy allegedly prepared for Jay Anson would be the best, but I'm sure that must be lost to time.

sherbetbizarre wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:53 pm
daiichi wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:36 pm
did George and Kathy read it and claim that they were misrepresented?
No, they claimed invasion of privacy, which was thrown out because the book was on it's way!