THE CONJURING movies

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
diadan
Amityville Member

Re: THE CONJURING movies

Post by diadan » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:39 pm

i liked it, i saw it twice, especially for the beginning! some parts of the movie were stupid though, like the crooked man, and lorraine's whole speech about "I know your name!!!"

GhostHuntress
Amityville Member

Post by GhostHuntress » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:45 pm

diadan wrote:i liked it, i saw it twice, especially for the beginning! some parts of the movie were stupid though, like the crooked man, and lorraine's whole speech about "I know your name!!!"
Spoilers!:
I thought the name speech was badass, especially when she said that she banished him in the name of The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit. But the crooked man looked really fake.

I loved the opening scene, however the popcorn line was long and I arrived a bit late, :roll: but the idea of putting Lorraine in the place of Ronald Jr. and seeing her shooting the Defeos was thrilling, creepy and brilliant. And the rooms of the house were recreated incredibly well, it almost looks like she was inserted in the real pictures. Sadly, either we never get to find confirmation if the murders were of supernatural causes or just because Ronald is insane, as Valak interrupted her vision to bring another of Ed's "death" or the movie was implying Valak was the demon behind Amityville as well. But I was glad they kept Lorraine's line "I hope that this is as close to hell as I ever get" and the ghost kid with glowing eyes (Is this kid confirmation that the murders were supernatural as well?) I loved the movie, but it didn't gave me the same feeling as the first one, as in the first one I felt like I was there with the Perrons, experiencing the haunting. In the second, I feared for Ed's life, since before watching the movie I knew Ed died before Lorraine (Who I hope to meet someday) but I didn't knew what was the cause of his death, or the place where he died. I sympathized with the Hodgsons, but I felt more worried for him.
"They're here!" - Carol Anne, Poltergeist.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:57 am

diadan wrote:i liked it, i saw it twice, especially for the beginning! some parts of the movie were stupid though, like the crooked man
I think James Wan liked The Babadook ;)

I also liked The Conjuring 2 a whole lot too, despite it's many liberties and the last 30 minutes being entirely fictional! Plus those sort of houses in the UK do not have basements...

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:05 am

This documentary features a segment with the Hodgeson girls. Janet is obviously creating a fake growling voice in it.

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:20 am

sherbetbizarre wrote:
Others Named Besides Warner Bros. in Suit Over 'Conjuring' Movie.

The owners of a local house that was the basis for the wildly popular movie "The Conjuring" are now suing the movie-makers, among others, saying harassment by fans has made their lives a "living hell".

Case in point: a number of videos posted to youtube show trespassers coming up to the house where Norma Sutcliffe and her husband Gerry live. "They somehow feel that they have a right to be on this property by any means that they choose," says Norma.

Specifically named in the lawsuit, besides Warner Brothers: Jay Lichtenberger and Brian Medeiros, Jr.,the "Prankk Brothers.", who've made a number of wildly popular videos locally where they 'prank' unsuspecting passers-by. In the video referenced by Sutcliffe, with more than 800-thousand views before it was made 'private' on the web, "Prankk Brothers" camera is seen on the property, going past the 'No "Trespassing' sign, and zooming in on the house. At that point, a scary animated character is imposed on top of the video, with sound effects, in an effort to startle the viewer. "I want some recognition that they broke the law, and made a mockery of our home. They need to be brought in."

The harassment that's happened at the Harrisville house has happened before, in Long Island, New York, when the movie "the Amityville Horror" came out back in the 70's. "If anything comes out of this, and the lawsuit, however it turns out, I want to express the fact that this has got to stop. Because when they use real people, all those houses that are involved in those stories are still being harassed today. That's why we will never see, never see, total peace and privacy. Ever," says Sutcliffe.

Meanwhile, in a twist, there are other youtube videos, this time where Norma appears to corroborate paranormal activity at the house. In one, she is with Andrea Perron, author of the "House of Darkness, House of Light" trilogy of books, of what the Perron family says was its bizarre decade of living in the house. On the tape, Norma talks of hearing voices that sounded like they were coming from the other room, when no one was physically there. During my exclusive local interview with her, I asked her about that. "At the time I was just joking at the fact that there was sounds, but you never heard me say 'I believe there was ghosts'"

Norma and her husband are seeking a security system and security plan from Warner Brothers, and unspecified monetary damages, from the trespassers too.

It may take up to three years for a requested jury trial to happen if the case is not dismissed.
http://turnto10.com/news/local/others-n ... ring-movie

Oddly Norma Sutcliffe claimed the house was haunted at the 58 minute mark of this recent program (the Orlando shooting are mentioned here). Also one of the Perron women is on to discuss this latest event.

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:00 pm

I want to see this. I tried to invite a friend along with me but horror films terrify her. I could always watch it myself when I have the money. Two of the best cases rolled up into one film. I do expect some parts to be fictional but I doubt this would affect my enjoyment of the film.
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:39 pm

CONJURING 2 SPINOFF THE NUN IS ALREADY IN THE WORKS

THE CONJURING 2's ectoplasm hasn't even gone cold and a spin-off has already been announced. This isn't much of a surprise, considering they launched ANNABELLE at us practically seconds after THE CONJURING smashed the summer box office in 2013, but still. Give us some room to breathe.

The spinoff in question will be titled THE NUN and will revolve around the sinister, be-habited entity that haunts Lorraine and Ed Warren throughout the film. The character, which was actually invented in reshoots, is a very Wan-esque creation, slapping face paint on a person with interesting bone structure and calling it a day.

I can't say I'm particularly excited about this development (and in fact, it doesn't make all that much sense according to the continuity of the movie), especially considering the ultimate disappointment of ANNABELLE. But I suppose any horror flick with nuns in it is worth a shot.

CONJURING 2 co-writer David Leslie Johnson will be penning the script. There is no word on whether the actress who played the nun, Bonnie Aarons, will be returning.
http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news ... -works-495

GhostHuntress
Amityville Member

Post by GhostHuntress » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:43 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:
diadan wrote:i liked it, i saw it twice, especially for the beginning! some parts of the movie were stupid though, like the crooked man
I think James Wan liked The Babadook ;)

I also liked The Conjuring 2 a whole lot too, despite it's many liberties and the last 30 minutes being entirely fictional! Plus those sort of houses in the UK do not have basements...
I liked it as well, but I didn't like it as much as the first movie
"They're here!" - Carol Anne, Poltergeist.

Amit Y Ville
Amityville Addict

Post by Amit Y Ville » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:03 am

I’ve seen a LOT of haunted house movies in my 34 years. I have to say this about Conjuring 2… it’s in the top three haunted house/demonic movies I’ve ever seen. It’s up there with The Amityville Horror and The Entity, in terms of darkness and dread, but also execution. The Enfield poltergeist and a strange Nun are entwined in the story of a real family breaking apart from a CHARACTER in this movie. That’s right, the poltergeist threat dominates the scenes in a frequent manner, relentlessly without fail – he actually becomes something which seldom happens in ghost movies - he becomes a character with LOTS of screen time. The haunting begins very early on, with very small calming periods before escalating consistently. It’s a two-hour plus rollercoaster which rarely lets up but has clever pacing, distracts the viewer with Warrens history to create a thoroughly entertaining and distracting experience. And the scares are plenty and had me jumping in my seat. When Enfield’s specter is absent, the Warrens story of their experience with a phantom nun is explored. Lighting is extremely well done, with gloomy, dimly lit environments which set the scene and generate a home for the demonic presence at all times. Even the Amityville house is visited in the story, creating a strangely new and exciting feeling to the genre.

Highly recommended.
"Everything's sliding into place. Just ONE more sacrifice Lisa."

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:42 am

James Wan ‏@creepypuppet
Are the eyes the windows to the soul, or the windows are the eyes to the soul?? #Amityville #Conjuring2

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:09 am

James Wan as done an impressive job as far as accuracy and the Amityville angle goes, compared to previous efforts over the last thirty plus years.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:44 am

Did Ronnie's pop art wallpaper cover the wall with the quarter moon windows? I'm having difficulty picturing which walls the pop art was on. I remember it being on the wall behind Ronnie's bed and one or more of the other walls having polka dots? Still very impressive how they managed to recreate the wallpaper!
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

Crash
Amityville Addict

Post by Crash » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:38 pm

Rokiisun wrote:Did Ronnie's pop art wallpaper cover the wall with the quarter moon windows? I'm having difficulty picturing which walls the pop art was on. I remember it being on the wall behind Ronnie's bed and one or more of the other walls having polka dots? Still very impressive how they managed to recreate the wallpaper!

No,it was just on the right wall and the rest of the room was polka dots. The ceiling didnt slope either but they desk is in the right place. The basement in the movie is huge but they did add the vent/windows fairly accurately,the set designer obviously had a look at some of the details at some point.
Amityville '76 game development - https://www.facebook.com/AmityvilleGame/

shuggins
Amityville Addict

Post by shuggins » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:21 pm

I loved Conjuring 2! The freak out parts are insanely good. I thought the subtlety of the scare scenes at first were great in building up to the climax. Once again, the "Warrens" (same two from first movie) were AWESOME. They have great chemistry. I know people's general thoughts about The Warrens, but they are portrayed (as in the first movie) as truly endearing people. In a lot of ways Vera, whom played Lorraine, kept the movie glued together when I thought the wheels were coming off when crooked man showed up. That was really the only terrible scene in the movie, imho.

Here's some of my thoughts on the reactions from up above in this thread.

>t’s in the top three haunted house/demonic movies I’ve ever seen
Definitely! It's in my top 5 and I've watched a whole ton of scary paranormal movies.

>the strange Nun
Is that most twisted, sick, otherworldly thing ever? Man, my eyeballs could not get rid of that vision of the nun last night when I got home - crazy stuff.

>Even the Amityville house is visited in the story,
Yea! Wasn't that terrific ? I love how, if you think about it, they leave the watcher to wonder if Amityville had something to do with the goings on in the Enfield case. Some sort of connection.

>I thought the name speech was badass
I thought so too!

>The fact it was based on a true story from previous experience can leave a bit of scepticis
I get that, but as in so many past horror flicks, the "based on" thing lets them off the hook. You know it's gonna be exaggerated (and probably by a lot).

All in all, I thought it was great. I would highly recommend this movie.

horsysauce
Amityville Member

Post by horsysauce » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:42 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:
James Wan ‏@creepypuppet
Are the eyes the windows to the soul, or the windows are the eyes to the soul?? #Amityville #Conjuring2
A Chinese director? That's bit strange for this movie.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:30 am

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:53 am

horsysauce wrote:
A Chinese director? That's bit strange for this movie.
I am not sure how a person's cultural background bears any weight on their ability to do a job.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

reece86
Amityville Member

Post by reece86 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:10 am

After seeing the Amityville house part in the conjuring 2 I really want James to make A Amityville movie :clap:

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:04 am

Warner Bros. Facing $900 Million Lawsuit Over 'The Conjuring' Franchise

Gerald Brittle, author of a 1980 book on the paranormal investigators, claims not only to have had an exclusive deal with Lorraine Warren, but that producers substantially lifted his work.

Gerald Brittle says the horror movies infringe on his 1980 book The Demonologist, which tells the stories of paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren. In a massive 355-page amended complaint filed Wednesday in Virginia federal court, he's upping the ante against Warner Bros., New Line Productions and director James Wan, among others.

The author claims The Conjuring, The Conjuring 2 and Annabelle infringe on his exclusive rights to create derivative works based on the Warrens' cases. He says, in a 1978 agreement for his book, the couple agreed to a no "competing work" provision that is still in effect. Under it, Brittle says, the Warrens aren't allowed to make or contract any works based on the "same subject" as The Demonologist, specifically their "lives and experiences as paranormal investigators."

Brittle says at the time he was writing The Demonologist, he believed the Warrens' accounts of their work to be true. Now believing he was duped, the author says the allegedly based on real-life films are "at best" unauthorized derivative works.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-es ... ise-990107

Crash
Amityville Addict

Post by Crash » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:00 am

Was just about to post that.It's pretty funny and interesting from a copyright standpoint,makes the author look like he's trying to cash in.
Amityville '76 game development - https://www.facebook.com/AmityvilleGame/

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:45 pm

Crash wrote:makes the author look like he's trying to cash in.
Back in 2010, he was still trying to defend his work with the Warrens-

http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard ... f=1&t=7672