Real Fear: The Truth Behind the Movies

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics

Real Fear: The Truth Behind the Movies

Postby sherbetbizarre » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:43 pm

Early days yet, maybe Halloween?

Chiller is also booking new specials -- AEP Media's "Real Fear: The Truth Behind the Movies" features Katrina Weidmanan, who appeared on "Paranormal State" on A&E. The show looks into the true stories that inspired horror flicks including "Silent Hill," "The Amityville Horror," "The Mothman Prophecies" and "Poltergeist."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118048190
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Re: AEP Media's "Real Fear: The Truth Behind the Movies"

Postby Fr Dennis Kibbler » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:53 pm

Let's hope they do their homework and get it right!
"You told me the house was saved now."
Fr Dennis Kibbler
That evil is searching for souls

Postby Mary23 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:10 pm

I am waiting new stuff about Amityville , I hope that those people will make a really good special .....
Mary23
Amityville Member

Postby UFAlien » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:20 am

...the true story behind Silent Hill? They must mean Centralia, Pennsylvania... which of course, was only the inspiration for one small aspect of the film adaptation. I wonder if they'll even bother to mention it's based on a game?

I did, however, come across this bit of bull on some blog around Halloween a few years ago:

The True Story Behind Silent Hill

The 2006 horror film Silent Hill has earned a reputation as a frightening, if somewhat incoherent, cinematic shocker. What most people don't know is that it was inspired by a true story. While the film is set in the fictional mining town of Silent Hill, West Virginia, the actual events occurred in a real-life mining town hundreds of miles from West Virginia – Silent Glen, Utah. Similarly to the movie's Silent Hill, Silent Glen was known for its coal mining, and suffered a devastating fire that forced the town's evacuation.

Silent Hill's fire occurred in the mid-1970s, but the actual fire in Silent Glen was much more recent, occurring in 1986. The Silent Glen fire began in a local bakery and spread through the town, eventually working its way down into exposed mine shafts where the fire still burns to this day. The vast majority of townspeople were able to escape, and only three dead bodies were discovered, all near the fire's starting point in the bakery.

The story of Silent Hill actually combines two different real-life tragedies from the history of Silent Glen. The most obvious is the fire, but there is another component of the story that goes back further. In the fall of 1954, a 7-year-old girl named Anna Wilson was found severely beaten in an alleyway next to the town's church. She was kept alive in a local hospital just long enough to accuse members of the church of attacking her for being a child born to an unmarried mother. There was an investigation and the priest of the church, Christopher Garret, was suspended from his duties for several months although no criminal charges were ever pressed.

In the film Silent Hill, the little girl is named Alessa Gillespie. The town's church is portrayed as a pseudo-Christian cult which accuses Alessa of being a witch due to her demonstration of psychic abilities, as well as the fact that her mother was unmarried when Alessa was born. Christopher Garret is portrayed as a female cult leader named Christabella, who is actually Alessa's aunt. The film links the two real-world events when Christabella's cult attempts to burn Alessa alive for being a witch, but Alessa interferes with her psychic powers and starts the fire that eventually spread through the town and into the coal mines.

One seemingly minor fact about the Silent Glen fire is turned into a major plot point in the movie. Although only three dead bodies were found, the count of missing peoples was around twenty. It was assumed that the missing bodies were either somewhere deep within the mines, or had been burnt down to nothing but ash. Although the film is quite confusing at this point, it appears to imply that all of the missing people were actually trapped in some bizarre alternate dimension or purgatory created by Alessa's vengeful soul, perhaps in cooperation with the devil. This dimension is the main setting of the film, and host to an entirely fabricated story involving a doppelganger of Alessa, and her adoptive mother trying to find her.

Of course, searching for "Silent Glen, Utah" comes up with nothing, and I can't find the post or even the blog anymore - I just saved this because I thought it was funny. I especially love how the author had no idea what was going on in the movie. I wonder if the people behind this feature picked up on these "facts" :lol:
UFAlien
Amityville Addict

Postby Rokiisun » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:26 pm

Silent hill was based off the ghost town of Centralia in the state of Pennsylvania. Some people actually still choose to live there, but very few. I guess they really don't want to give up their properties, but there are still poisonous gases in the air due to the underground coal fires, and the roads in the town have cracked and split.

Its such a shame that something really small in the 1960s such as a group of firefighters not extinguishing a landfill fire properly could result in a town which is hotter than mercury and has a more poisonous atmosphere than Venus. That underground fire still burns to today. It's a very interesting case which I have been reading up on now for a good couple of years.
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.
Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Postby Victoria Principles » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:43 pm

Never heard of Silent Hill before. Thanks for the info and the real story behind it. I have friends in the Bloomsburg area, but never heard of this town nor the movie Silent Hills.
Victoria Principles
Amityville Maniac

Postby Rokiisun » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:53 pm

Here's a site filled with recent photographs and information about Centralia:

http://www.offroaders.com/album/centralia/centralia.htm
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.
Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Postby Anarane » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:16 am

I am a HUGE fan of the Silent Hill games. :) I've run a pretty big fansite for the last ten years - http://silenthillheaven.com

The film is actually a pretty good modern horror movie, but few fans felt it properly translated the dark, desperate fear from the original games. I would recommend picking it up or catching it on your film stream service of course; worth watching!

And back on topic ... this sounds like an interesting documentary. Hope it makes it to the UK.
Anarane
Amityville Member

Postby sherbetbizarre » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:45 pm

Chiller kicks off a packed year of original programming with the announcement of airdates for the first two all-new projects of 2012. The original special Real Fear: The Truth Behind the Movies will premiere Sunday, March 11 @ 8pm, while Chiller’s second original movie, Brian Keene‘s Ghoul, will premiere Friday, April 13 @ 9pm.

In Real Fear: The Truth Behind the Movies, Chiller investigates the terrifying factual stories that inspired some of the scariest horror movies of all time, including Silent Hill, The Amityville Horror, The Mothman Prophecies and Poltergeist, through exclusive eyewitness interviews and reenactments of actual events. Paranormal investigator Katrina Weidman (Paranormal State) travels with three of her friends into the dark recesses of the unknown to uncover the buried secrets behind these four iconic films. Real Fear: The Truth Behind the Movies is executive produced by Larry Landsman and John D’Auria for AEP Media.

http://www.geekinvaders.com/?p=15589
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby sherbetbizarre » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:22 pm

Stars Christopher!

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Re: Real Fear: The Truth Behind the Movies

Postby Brendan72 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:42 pm

This should be interesting, though it doesn't air till March 11th in the US. Which means we may not get it here in Australia till later.

If anybody views this please let us know what it is like.
- Brendan72

"Consideration for others is the basic of a good life, a good society."
- Confucius. Chinese philosopher & reformer (551 BC - 479 BC)
Brendan72
Forest Giant

Postby tomspy77 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:25 am

I hope I can find a way to see this, as I'd really like to!
tomspy77
Son of Davros

Postby sherbetbizarre » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:03 pm

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Real Fear on this SUNDAY

Postby whisper » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:02 pm

So is anybody going to watch and see what is Said about The Amityville Horror Story ?
I saw that Chris Lutz is going to give an interview
.... And what does THAT have to do with the price of Cow Poo
whisper
Amityville Addict

Postby whisper » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:37 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:

This is going to be good . I cannot wait until it airs on sunday .
Hopefully i will be able to talk about it with you guys , Mr Bizzare may ban me before that because he does not like my posts
but if im still here . it should be interesting .
whisper
Amityville Addict

Postby sherbetbizarre » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:39 pm

whisper wrote:Mr Bizzare may ban me before that because he does not like my posts.

I do not like your behaviour, young lady!
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby whisper » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:02 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:
whisper wrote:Mr Bizzare may ban me before that because he does not like my posts.

I do not like your behaviour, young lady!

Spank me LOL
whisper
Amityville Addict

Postby sherbetbizarre » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:23 pm

Chiller's all-new original special, "Real Fear: The Truth Behind the Movies" premieres Sunday, March 11 at 8pm.

The show will uncover the terrifying real-life stories that inspired some of the most popular horror films of all time!

Paranormal investigator Katrina Weidman ("Paranormal State"), along with three of her colleagues, reveal the secrets behind four iconic movies: "Poltergeist," "The Amityville Horror," "Silent Hill" and "The Mothman Prophecies."

The special also features exclusive eyewitness accounts from Lucille Herrmann, whose family made national attention in 1958, when they experienced unexplained poltergeist activity in their house in Seaford, NY (later influencing the popular film); and Christopher Lutz, the youngest member of the Amityville family who lived through the terrifying paranormal events in the infamous Long Island home.

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php ... h_behind_t
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby sherbetbizarre » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:05 pm

"Real Fear," 8 p.m., Chiller. This special eyes the actual stories behind four horror films.

There's some nonsense, but there are also fascinating documentary clips. We meet people who grew up in the "Amityville Horror" and "Poltergeist" families. We see Edward Murrow interview the "Poltergeist" people and an NBC report on the Pennsylvania town that had a coal fire burning beneath it.

http://www.thecalifornian.com/article/2 ... /203100305

Chiller TV Presents Real Fear: The Truth Behind The Movies (2012)

Chiller TV was kind enough to send us information on their upcoming new reality special, Real Fear: The Truth Behind the Movies. Debuting this Sunday at 8P ET, the show will deal with some of the lesser known facts surrounding 4 horror films: The Amityville Horror, Poltergeist, Silent Hill, and The Mothman Prophecies.

I was a little surprised by the inclusion of the Silent Hill film as it was based on a video game by Konami but Real Fear site explains that the screenwriter, Roger Avary (Beowulf, Pulp Fiction), used the real life events of what happened in Centralia, PA during the early 60′s to mold his screenplay.

From the Press Release: “On Sunday, March 11 @ 8pm, Chiller’s all-new special, Real Fear: The Truth Behind the Movies, will uncover the terrifying real-life stories that inspired some of the most popular horror films of all time! Paranormal investigator Katrina Weidman (Paranormal State), along with three of her colleagues, reveal the secrets behind four iconic movies: Poltergeist, The Amityville Horror, Silent Hill and The Mothman Prophecies.

The special also features exclusive eyewitness accounts from Lucille Herrmann, whose family made national attention in 1958, when they experienced unexplained poltergeist activity in their house in Seaford, NY (later influencing the popular film); and Christopher Lutz, the youngest member of the Amityville family who lived through the terrifying paranormal events in the infamous Long Island home.”

So if your local cable provider gives you the option of Chiller TV why not make some popcorn Sunday night, turn out all the lights, curl up on the couch and check it out?

http://www.retroist.com/2012/03/10/chil ... vies-2012/
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby sherbetbizarre » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:24 pm

Watch the intro to the Amityville house investigation from Chiller's "Real Fear: The Truth Behind the Movies.

http://video.chillertv.com/promos/shows ... r/v1387611
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby whisper » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:32 am

I thought Chris did a Great Job . I just wish that the Amityville Part would have been a little Longer .
whisper
Amityville Addict

Next

Return to Amityville Discussion