The Fourth Kind

Off-Topic Chatter About Anything Non-Amityville
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

The Fourth Kind

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:28 am

Could be this years Mothman Prophecies...
First Trailer Arrives For SciFi-Horror THE 4TH KIND

Hmm. Turns out the people of Nome, Alaska should have been paying attention when David Lynch warned that “the owls are not what they seem” in Twin Peaks ...

Supposedly based on actual events - and incorporating archival footage of authentic therapy sessions - Milla Jovovich stars in The 4th Kind, portraying a psychotherapist working in Nome who begins to encounter a number of patients who believe that they have been abducted by aliens. Which would be easy to write off if not for the facts that Nome actually does have a freakishly high rate of missing persons for no reason that anyone has ever been able to determine and the patients reveal detailed accounts of the abductions while under hypnosis.

The 4th Kind comes from the producers of The Haunting In Connecticut - which I thought was really a pretty effective piece of mainstream horror - and obviously they’ve realized the power of this ‘true life’ approach to horror. When you treat it seriously, your audience will as well ...
http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/first-t ... -4th-kind/
Last edited by sherbetbizarre on Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tedbot
not the face!

Post by tedbot » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:38 am

I'm thinking this movie looks pretty wild. Gonna have to go see it when it's released.
Are you looking at me?

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:47 am

I wouldn't mind being put on the chair and put under Mila Jovovich myself! ... errr I mean put under BY Mila Jovovich ... lmao
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:24 am

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:56 pm

This wasn't bad... my main problem was the "found footage" was so obviously acted as to make it redundant... however it does produce some scares late on.

It's a bit like the Mothman Prophecies movie...

devilbustedinct
Walking the Burning Fence

Post by devilbustedinct » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:20 pm

Just got back from this. Utter and complete CRAP!!! How dumb do they think we are? Rent Communion instead, Chris Walken is creepier than anything in this mess. If you insist on seeing it, take a dramamine first. Milla Jovich is hot alright, but please, my intelligence has been insulted beyond apology. I want a refund.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:38 pm

Sherb, give the man a refund.

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:22 pm

Dan the Damned wrote:Sherb, give the man a refund.
It's either refund with cash or be devilbusted's bitch for a week lmao ...
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:52 am

'Activity' excites 'Fourth Kind' producer
Friday, November 6, 2009

The idea that a $11,000 film called "Paranormal Activity" could be a huge success surprised a lot of people in Hollywood.

Not Norm Waitt.

The former Gateway executive and founder of Gold Circle Films says, "There isn't a strong correlation between budgets and chances for success with a film."

He ought to know. One of his first ventures -- "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" -- became the most successful independent film in history and nabbed an Oscar nomination. It tilted at windmills, just like "Paranormal Activity," and struck a nerve.

Now, Waitt says, it's hard to predict what will succeed in the movie business.

"In today's lousy economy, people are looking for an escape," he says.

This week, Waitt has his own entry in the thriller category. Called "The Fourth Kind," it investigates the idea of alien abduction. Milla Jovovich stars as a psychologist who interviews residents in an Alaska town about the phenomenon. Part "X-Files," part Hitchcock mystery, it suggests aliens could be lurking.

Before his company did the film, Waitt didn't even consider the possibility of alien abduction. Now, he says, "it could be possible. The film is rather convincing."

"Paranormal Activity," he adds, certainly generated interest in the genre. Now, he's hoping it will help "The Fourth Kind" break through on a very busy weekend. Today, five films open nationally, including "Disney's A Christmas Carol" and George Clooney's "The Men Who Stare at Goats."

That makes breaking through difficult. "There's more than we would like for this weekend, but that is out of our control," Waitt says.

His company had success earlier this year with "The Haunting in Connecticut," another thriller, and now is looking at producing another film in the series. "'We hope 'The Fourth Kind' will be the same kind of success."

Gold Circle Films has tried several kinds of movies in the past year, but its executives realized thrillers would be best because its distributor is better at promoting them. "New in Town," a romantic comedy with Renee Zellweger, held promise but didn't get the boost it needed initially to be a hit. Ironically, Waitt says, it's now doing "better than expected" on DVD.

The business, however, is impossible to gauge.

A little film like "Paranormal Activity" can make a splash, while a potential blockbuster could crash and burn.

His new tact? "At our next board meeting I will suggest we cap all our film budgets at $11,000," he says jokingly. "It's nice to dream. If only it was that easy."
LINK

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:36 pm

The Fourth Kind True Story Claims Face Skeptics, Poor Reviews
November 07, 2009

The Fourth Kind is a true story, at least according to ads and trailers. But The Fourth Kind true story claims have to be taken with a grain of salt. The Fourth Kind true story hook is one that has been used by countless horror movies lately.

The Fourth Kind's true story is one about aliens, not serial horror killers. Though the movie tries to make it look like The Fourth Kind's story about sleep-deprived people facing alien abduction is true, most may not buy it.

The Fourth Kind's premise is that in Nome, Alaska, sleep-deprived patients who went under hypnosis were vulnerable to alien abduction. In fact, the movie presents audio and video tape of such sessions as archival footage, and is framed to look like an adaptation of a true story. Of course, if The Fourth Kind was a true story, then it would be real proof that aliens do exist, and have made contact of the fourth kind to abduct us.

Of course, whenever a movie claims to be about a true story, inevitably it isn't. Hollywood can't even make bio-pics of real true stories without distorting the facts and people in some way. And horror movies like The Blair Witch Project, The Amityville Horror and The Haunting in Connecticut have tried to pass off as true stories too.

But the debate of The Fourth Kind 'true story' is coming under some rather bad timing for the movie. For the last month, horror fans have been worshiping Paranormal Activity, the ultra low-budget hit that nevertheless looked very real to audiences. The home-movie format made the story of spirits haunting a young couple look all too real - or at least more real than what The Fourth Kind looks like.

By trying too hard, and by coming in at a bad time, The Fourth Kind is being regarded as Paranormal Activity-lite, despite having greater studio backing. But no matter if the story was true or not, it would be forgiven if the movie had good reviews, word-of-mouth and box office. However, The Fourth Kind doesn't have the first two, and will be hard pressed to get the third.

All The Fourth Kind true story claims didn't stop it from getting only 15% positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Their consensus reads that "While it boasts a handful of shocks, The Fourth Kind is hokey and clumsy and makes its close encounters seem eerily mundane"

With Paranormal Activity and A Christmas Carol set to rule the box office, The Fourth Kind's so-called true story may not be true enough, or even shocking enough, for large audiences to decide for The Fourth Kind True Story Claims Face Skeptics, Poor Reviews themselves.
LINK

devilbustedinct

Post by devilbustedinct » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:34 am

That's right, call that crap out:
FAIRBANKS — Universal Pictures has reached a settlement with a handful of Alaska newspapers, including the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, for using fabricated “news archives” to promote a recently released movie.

Universal agreed to pay $20,000 to the Alaska Press Club, along with a $2,500 contribution to a scholarship fund for the Bethel-based Calista Corp. Anchorage attorney John McKay, who negotiated the settlement on behalf of the seven media organizations, said an emergency shelter in Nome also will receive an unspecified amount of money, although it wasn’t listed as a recipient in the settlement agreement.

Universal created an elaborate series of online news articles in the promotion for its movie, “The Fourth Kind.” The movie claims to be a true story about a plague of alien abductions in Nome a decade ago.

To bolster that claim, articles were posted that professed to be from real Alaska publications, but were actually created to bolster the movie’s storyline.

The articles included an obituary and news story about the death of a character in the movie, Dr. William Tyler, that supposedly were from the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner. Neither the story nor the obituary ever appeared in the newspaper.

Fake articles were listed from other newspapers in Alaska, including The Nome Nugget, alongside authentic news stories. Part of the settlement also requires Universal to remove the fake “news articles” promoting the movie from the internet.

McKay said that attributing false stories to real publications undermines those newspapers’ credibility.

“If people can’t rely on the fact that when they look at a news article on the Web that it’s from the newspaper it appears to be, or is written by the reporter it appears to be, it erodes confidence in the world of journalism,” McKay said.

McKay said it didn’t appear that the advertising campaign was cleared by attorneys at Universal Pictures, and he praised the company for responding quickly to the complaints.

“I think they were embarrassed by it and acted very promptly,” he said.

The settlement comes as an unexpected boon for the Alaska Press Club, which is an independent journalism organization in the state. Club President Kathleen McCoy said the $20,000 received from Universal roughly doubles the organization’s annual revenues.

“We’ll spread this around and try to put this toward training for journalists around the state,” McCoy said.

The Alaska Press Club wasn’t part of the complaint against Universal, but John McKay suggested they receive settlement money as part of a compromise that would benefit Alaska journalism.

Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Post by Howard64 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:00 am

interesting...
" A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of
the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

devilbustedinct

Post by devilbustedinct » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:44 pm

Seriously, I wish more people would stand up and call out BS when they see it. Maybe they don't think it does any harm. It does. The problem is and always has been...

No one wants to admit they are a liar.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:14 pm

Did anyone believe the "footage" in this movie? I doubt it...

Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Post by Howard64 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:17 pm

well first off my rule of thumb is, i believe only a third of what i hear and only half of what i see.

Just because someone says a show is based upon a true story does not make it so.

but considering this day and age and what people will do for money, it doesnt surprise me one bit someone tacked on that same label just to make a buck.

Not all of the worlds inhabitants are as gullible as the rest.
" A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of

Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Post by Howard64 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:21 pm

99.9% of what Hollywood puts out is for entertainment purposes.

I mean if i dish out some money to see a movie its to be entertained. If i want facts ill watch the history channel.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:45 pm

Brian from Dominion Live Radio has SPOKEN:

Movie review: The Fourth Kind
7:36 PM, Nov. 6, 2009
By Brian Jasik

As are movie begins, it shows are star walking down a road, toward the camera and as she gets closer the blurriness comes to clarity as she begins to explain that the movie has actual footage from different sessions, and so on.

The aliens in this film (which you never see) are anything but friendly. Aggressive yes, and not only are they visiting the people of Nome Alaska, but people are dieing as a result of these visits.

Are star who witnessed the death of her husband is on a quest to finish his work. That work is to help the people of this town deal with, and work through, what is thought to be a sleep study disorder of some kind. Through audio tape and video, strange voices begin to appear on these recordings. Disturbing translations are discovered as this movie progresses.

I give this movie, five out of five stars. It’s a good story, a good mystery and it keeps the viewer interested, and on the edge of their seats.
LINK

Take that, Devilbusted!

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:52 pm

The funniest part of that review is that Sherb did NOT alter one word!!! :shock:

devilbustedinct

Post by devilbustedinct » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:43 am

Damn, I didn't look at the movie that way. I digress.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:48 pm

You'd like Brian. On last nights show after him and Ryan trash this board, he loses interest in Amityville and plays a tape Ray Garton sent in of Garton and Carmen Reed on a radio phone-in.