Board will be wishy washy for a week or so

Important board information plus links to a great deal of information regarding the Amityville case
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Board will be wishy washy for a week or so

Post by Dan the Damned » Sat May 26, 2018 9:22 pm

We had to quickly update the files which run this board, but I'm too busy with work to really get in there and personalize this board the way it used to be. Maybe in a few weeks...

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Re: Board will be wishy washy for a week or so

Post by Dan the Damned » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:22 pm

The board is back to normal. Our previous theme wasn't an available option (with the new version of this board's software), so we went with the one you see now (and made some obvious modifications). Of the themes available to us, this one is the closest to what we had before.

Still a few odds & ends that I'll be tackling as my free time allows, such as returning the links to the bottom (the links to the newspaper article clippings and so forth) and rewording the forum's FAQ page (like we did before).

A couple of weeks ago, our web host suddenly demanded that we update the old software that this forum was running on. And they only gave us 5 days to comply. That's why we had the generic board for the last couple of weeks. Luckily, we were able to save all of our old posts from the past 13 years (which is not easy to do given our limited access to the server). Everything else is really just a bonus...

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:56 am

Okay, so the board went down again. This time for most of June. Sorry about that. We had serious technical issues with the software.

Last month I found a nice forum template and customized it to fit the theme of "The Amityville Horror." It looked real nice and it seemed to run smoothly. But when I switched the board settings (so that it was the only "board theme" you would see), it didn't propagate properly. After a few days, the board stats still said everyone was still viewing the board via the default "pro silver" theme.

So I tried forcing the issue, and the board revolted, giving me a blank screen every time I'd try to load the forum.

I spent a lot of time trying to fix it right away, but nothing was working.

Now it would be totally easy for me just to start a fresh, clean board, but the main function of this board (in my eyes, at least) is to preserve all the great threads from those first few years (when members were taking their own time to investigate stuff and debate theories in an intellectual manner and so forth).

Well, okay, it hasn't always been "in an intellectual manner," and to be fair, I think the majority of the posts here are only slightly better than what you'd see on facebook; but still, there is a core chunk of real important threads here. Namely the Ghostie Boy thread. I think we're responsible for solving one of the real mysteries of the Amityville Horror with that thread.

Anyways, I'm getting sidetracked.

The technical problem with this board was probably started when I tried to swap the theme of the board. However, there are a couple of other possible issues that may have also caused it to crash, perhaps only coincidentally bringing the board down at that exact time when I was trying to cram this new theme down its throat.

Today is Friday, July 6th. I'm going leave the board running with this default theme until next Wed or Thu. If all remains good, I'll try to update the new theme once again (in a kinder, gentler way). So if you come back next week and see that this board is down once again, then you'll at least know why.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:52 pm

Cheers, Dan!

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:39 pm

I have once again uploaded the new theme/background/icons for this board. If you are still seeing the "default" theme (with the PHPbb logo in the top left corner), try closing your browser windows, emptying your browser's cache and returning to the forum. The new theme features the Amityville house in the upper background on the right side and a crappy "Truth Board" logo on the top left that I did in a hurry and am not very satisfied with.

I don't want to tinker too much with the board right now. That way, if it goes down, we'll know the new style is the culprit, and not any other changes that I've been fiddling with...