Should a new book be written about the case?

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Should a new book be written about the case?

Post by Dan the Damned » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:57 pm

The following posts were deleted from this thread due to an accident:

Brooke Forrester wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:04 pm
I was re-reading TAH since it’s that time of year that it all happened and I needed a distraction from personal stuff.

Re-reading the book, I can really see some of the embellishments as JA tried to make it like a drama playing out almost as if it were onscreen.

I think it would be beneficial if someone could write a factual documentary type style of novel about the case based on interviews from George and Cathy, if they wanted to tell their side without the changes that Anson made.

TAH is entertaining but sometimes it seems a little overdramatized and I would like to see in book form all the experiences the Lutz’s said they had exactly as they said they had them.

And I would also like to see the idea brought up that it could have been the murder victims or the murders energy causing the activity, since that was clearly and surprisingly omitted as a possibility in Anson’s book.

Would anyone else think this would be a good idea? Why or why not?

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:34 pm
I think the book is pretty much perfect as it is. If it was rewritten in another style it would take away the dread the story builds up. Also of course some modern writer would try to inject some misinfo or scepticism into it. Besides, with George and Kathy no longer here, it would be quite disrespectful don't you think?

Brendan72 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:49 am
The source material primarily would be the tapes as they were for Jay Anson. Had they still been available, and with the right kind of author, it could perhaps be done.

I am more inclined towards the DeFeo angle these days anyway. I still believe something happened to the Lutz's but the crime aficionado in me is leaning towards the murders more.

Brooke Forrester wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:02 pm
Amit Y Ville wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:34 pm
I think the book is pretty much perfect as it is. If it was rewritten in another style it would take away the dread the story builds up. Also of course some modern writer would try to inject some misinfo or scepticism into it. Besides, with George and Kathy no longer here, it would be quite disrespectful don't you think?
No it wouldn’t be disrespectful because I meant it would be written as a pro-Lutz version, just without the inaccuracies that Anson’s book had.

Brooke Forrester wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:06 pm
Brendan72 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:49 am
The source material primarily would be the tapes as they were for Jay Anson. Had they still been available, and with the right kind of author, it could perhaps be done.

I am more inclined towards the DeFeo angle these days anyway. I still believe something happened to the Lutz's but the crime aficionado in me is leaning towards the murders more.
Remind me again what happened to the tapes? Does Weber have them?

I too would like to see the DeFeo angle explored more. Most hauntings in a house where murders occurred are believed to be caused by the murders, whereas TAH writes it as the haunting was caused by everything but and in fact caused the murders.

I’ve always believed Anson did that on purpose so as not to be insensitive to the DeFeo’s loved ones, feeling like he shouldn’t suggest they weren’t at rest. But if one believes in hauntings, sudden, violent deaths are a prime reason for many.

Brendan72 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:38 am
Brooke Forrester wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:06 pm
Remind me again what happened to the tapes? Does Weber have them?
I honestly do not know. I seem to recall something unconfirmed that they are in the possession of the Jay Anson estate? I could be mistaken.