General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

HOME BEFORE DARK book and adaptation

Post by Dan the Damned » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:42 pm

The following posts were deleted from this thread due to an accident:

sherbetbizarre wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:31 pm
This is an upcoming novel by Riley Sager and movie/tv series.
The story of HOME BEFORE DARK seems to be inspired by the question, "What if one of the Lutz kids had moved back into the AMITYVILLE HORROR house?" The Amityville inspiration is so clear, the Lutz story even gets a nod in the book's description:

A woman returns to the house made famous by her father’s bestselling horror memoir and the issue becomes, is it really haunted as her father claimed? Some 25 years earlier, the young woman moved with her parents into Baneberry Hall, a rambling Victorian estate in the Vermont woods. They spent three weeks there before fleeing in the dead of night, an ordeal Ewan later recounted in a nonfiction book called House of Horrors that described ghostly encounters with spirits that rivaled The Amityville Horror in popularity—and skepticism.

The woman restores old homes and was too young to remember what her father described in a book that made him rich. She inherits the property and counts herself a skeptic when she returns to renovate the home. She is confronted from many who belong to the home’s past. To the point she begins to think maybe he wasn’t making it up.
https://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/new ... efore-dark

Rokiisun wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:44 pm
Looks interesting.

sherbetbizarre wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 3:16 pm
Interview with the author-
What inspired you to write this book?

I got the idea after listening to a podcast about the Lutz family and The Amityville Horror. The gist of the episode was that most people agree it was a hoax, but no one knows why the Lutz family did it. I thought that could be an interesting story to explore. The idea of a young woman, Maggie, returning to the allegedly haunted house that made her family famous to learn the truth about their story was very compelling to me. But it didn’t really come together until I got the idea to include the book her father wrote about their time in that house, ending up with a book-within-a-book structure that alternates between these two stories.
https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by- ... sager.html

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:08 pm
Someone reads this forum after all...

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Re: HOME BEFORE DARK book and adaptation

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:39 am

Novelist Riley Sager explores what happens after the horror

Sager came up with the concept for the novel while listening to a podcast about The Amityville Horror. The classic novel, written by Jay Anson, follows the Lutz family, who move into a Long Island home a year after the previous resident commits a horrific crime. Paranormal terrors ensue.

“Everybody thinks it’s a hoax,” Sager said. “I just keep thinking about the kids, what it must be like for the children who were the characters in this book. What must life be like for them now? Were they in on the hoax? I wanted to write a book about a character who was a kid in a haunted house.”
https://communitynews.org/2020/06/26/no ... he-horror/

Amit Y Ville
Streaming on Twitch from the red room

Post by Amit Y Ville » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:44 pm

Not everyone thinks its a hoax Sager.
"Everything's sliding into place. Just ONE more sacrifice Lisa."

Bango Skank
Amityville Member

Post by Bango Skank » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:25 pm

I enjoyed Sager's first book, Final Girls, but for some reason he fell off my radar after that, until I saw this thread and picked up this, and his previous two books. I'm about 25% into Home Before Dark and really enjoying it.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:19 pm

That's good to hear. Still waiting for the UK release...

Amit Y Ville
Streaming on Twitch from the red room

Post by Amit Y Ville » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:39 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:19 pm
That's good to hear. Still waiting for the UK release...
Comes out tomorrow. Won't be buying as that synopsis takes us for fools.

"Everything's sliding into place. Just ONE more sacrifice Lisa."

Bango Skank
Amityville Member

Post by Bango Skank » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:56 am

I read both this and Lock Every Door last weekend, both were really enjoyable.