comment on seeing things in pictures

For Discussion Of Amityville Photographs
Prozack
Amityville Member

comment on seeing things in pictures

Post by Prozack » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:18 am

I don't mean to be a party pooper, but isn't it pretty much common knowledge that those who seek the truth through "paranormal" means are looking so hard for the unexplainable that they, in fact, look too hard and end up seeing things that aren't really there?

I've looked at the "High Hopes" glowing orbs pic and it looks just like Persephone said: reflections from twin flood lights. I've looked at several pics of "orbs" and think they are just reflections of light, defects in film, etc. I've also seen some of the pics where some folks have seen a porcine face, demonic face, etc. I just don't see it. Maybe I'm just too concrete to suspend my disbelief, but I really believe most of what some people believe to be supernatural photographic manifesations are explainable occurrences of refractive optics or psychosuggestive in nature. Picture you and a friend or loved one looking out at the deep, blue sky on a clear day. You see numerous clouds in the sky. Your friend or significant other says "Look at that cloud; it looks just like Jay Leno, even the chin!" You look and don't see it. To you, it looks like Jack Nicholson's portrayal of the Joker from "Batman". To another, it looks just like...a cloud.

Rorschach called that projection and shrinks still use that crap in projective testing. Look at this blot of ink and tell me what you see. In reality, the ink blot represents nothing; it's usefulness comes from your subjective interpretation. So, maybe what people are seeing in those pictures says more about them than it does what they claim to be seeing? What do you think?

I know most of us on this board really want to believe that something other worldly happened in Amityville, and may still be happening there, but maybe we're just being too hopeful and reading too much into it? In the health care professions, we use a term called "differential diagnosis", which basically means while we suspect A to be the culprit/cause/problem, we must rule out B, C, and D before we can make a definitive diagnosis of A.

Okay, just my two cents for the day.
Zack
Artists use lies to tell the truth, but politicians use the truth to tell lies.

dnddad324
Tedbot is my Canadian beer whore

Post by dnddad324 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:56 am

I agree 100%, Zack. Since I have been at this board (and the old ezboard) every time someone posts a picture of the house everyone sees something in the windows. It's funny that you mention the clouds because I feel that what most people are claiming as paranoral is simply either clouds, trees or just a trick of the light.
[img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/dnddad324.jpg[/img]

tomjohnnyjoaquin
Amityville's #1 Judd Nelson Fan

Post by tomjohnnyjoaquin » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:28 pm

I agree with this also!..THERE MIGHT ACTUALLY BE SOMETHING..but then we are so wrapped up in believeing this story or not, that it might be a figment of our imaginations
[img]http://www.danradcliffe.co.uk/candid_dan_2005_52.jpg[/img]

" It ain't a party until something gets broken " Rob Lowe in St. Elmo's Fire