Any else thinks the house looked 'Grubby'

For Discussion Of Amityville Photographs
littlemissfitz
Mother of TWO horrors

Any else thinks the house looked 'Grubby'

Post by littlemissfitz » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:34 am

I've been browsing the internal crime scene shots now for a while & have increasingly noticed how grubby the house looked. I undertsand the mortgage was paid by the Brigante's as a gift but how much money did they REALLY have? It looks as though it was in dire need of decorating - despite there being lots of over the top furnishings & ornaments if you look past this the whole place looks a little tatty & careworn. (even a little dirty in places - look st the kitchen)

Now, maybe with 5 kids running around a house will start to look a bit rough round the edges but this looks as if they've HAD money in the past but now everythings starting to get a bit old & it's not being replaced.

Anyone else notice this? Maybe its because I'm a woman - we look at how clean places really are past all the over the top furnishings!!
You want some REAL horror? Spend a day with my kids................

FoxyJ
Amityville Addict

Post by FoxyJ » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:55 am

I agree with you but the decorations were a bit on the tacky side and very sixties/seventies (ie/that awful bar and terrible knotty pine type panelling everywhere). All that made the rooms look very small. Also the angles at which some of the rooms were photographed made them look cramped and the patterned wallpaper together with all the fingerprinting 'dust' on the doors etc., didn't help much either.

Other than that (and the dirty area around the cooker) it just looked 'lived-in' and flash photography tends to enhance grubby areas.

The exterior of the house (tacky figurines apart) looked immaculate so I don't think shortage of cash was an issue.

Fox
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/Foxy9212/miscellaneous%20Photos/coffee.gif[/img]

shattered thoughts
Amityville Member

Post by shattered thoughts » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:20 pm

Not everyone has a flair for decorating...

You are correct Foxy when you say you don't think shortage of cash was the problem....

Could also be that Mr. DeFeo did not want too much money to be spent on the decor with 5 kids running about... :?

OldSoul70
Amityville Addict

Post by OldSoul70 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:28 pm

I thought the house looked time appropriate. It was the 70's. The only thing that looked grubby to me was the back door, which is where the dog was kept a lot of the times, so I can see why it would have like scratch marks on the molding and stuff. Besides that I thought the house looked clean. Also I guess maybe I am used to the 70s look,since my house was like a time warp before it was redone. Shag carpet,brown,you know the deal. My basement is even still orange and green lol.

shattered thoughts
Amityville Member

Post by shattered thoughts » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:13 pm

OldSoul70 wrote:I thought the house looked time appropriate. It was the 70's. The only thing that looked grubby to me was the back door, which is where the dog was kept a lot of the times, so I can see why it would have like scratch marks on the molding and stuff. Besides that I thought the house looked clean. Also I guess maybe I am used to the 70s look,since my house was like a time warp before it was redone. Shag carpet,brown,you know the deal. My basement is even still orange and green lol.

:lol: Yes, :lol:

I remember the shag carpets and everything was flowery and earth tone colors...I kinda liked it. I remember having an octagon kitchen glass table with the bucket seats...oh, those were the days...wish we all could go back to that era, make love not war, hippies and fun,fun, fun... :wink:

OldSoul70
Amityville Addict

Post by OldSoul70 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:47 pm

lol yea flowers,the shelves in my basement are lined with flower paper. I also liked that time period, it seemed more fun. And a lot of the stuff from then has come back.

LauraJane
Amityville Addict

Post by LauraJane » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:01 am

To me the main problem was that the house was over cluttered rather then dirty. Every surface had something on it. I think rather then a good clean the house needed a good sort out. The decor was very grand indeed, I agree on that point. I think Dawn's room looked, from what I have seen, the tidiest. And yet Ronnie claims she was a bit of a slob.
'Wanna get drunk and fool around?'

ELLEN BRODY - JAWS

zzvampy
The Black Bralia

Post by zzvampy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:40 pm

I think Dawn's room looked, from what I have seen, the tidiest. And yet Ronnie claims she was a bit of a slob.
I agree LauraJane. Not only did it appear to be in a tidy condition, but again, there was absolutley no sign of any sort of commotion or struggle from the alleged "struggle for the gun" incident that Ronnie claims took place.

Rawmeat
Amityville Member

Post by Rawmeat » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:49 pm

Remember the photos were taken in the 70's and with any house hold the closets are normaly closed when photos are taken. If anything the house looks dated, and that makes sense since photos from the 70's will look dated. When I look at old photos from my childhood it looks like we had a bunch of crappy things, if you compare them to what is around now. But back then the TVs and other appliances are most likely state of the art. You have to remember the time frame. If you walked in a house now that looked like that than you would have a point. But those pictures are not from this time.

LauraJane
Amityville Addict

Post by LauraJane » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:52 am

I agree, Rawmeat. I should imagine the Defeo's had all the up to date contraptions that they could of had in 1974.

Also decor changes over the years. The inlook has been minimal the last few years but in 1974 the ornate style could of been in. It was a grand house though so I guess you needed a grand look.
'Wanna get drunk and fool around?'

ELLEN BRODY - JAWS