Amityville Look Alike Houses

For Discussion Of Amityville Photographs

Amityville Look Alike Houses

Postby antny000 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:21 am

Since I've moved to Woodbridge, NJ, there's been at least 4 houses I drive passed on back roads going to work. I had to take a road on my way to Quick Chek this morning and I keep my digital camera in my laptop bag, so I pulled over real quick and took a quick shot of this house, it resembles the movie house quite a bit.

There's another house like this across the street, and it's an all brick house, with a triangle roof, has the porch and windows and chimney. It's kind of a cool "all brick" version of the Amityville house. But it's facing the opposite direction, so I would have had to make a U-Turn to take a picture of it, and well, I'm not about to drive in circles lol I just took this picture because it was on my way to work:

Image
Gonna go make me some Sugar Cookie Stew! Yum yum!
User avatar
antny000
Amityville Addict
 
Posts: 902
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:21 pm
Location: Woodbridge, NJ

Re: Amityville Look Alike Houses

Postby Sweet Zuni » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:00 pm

That really does look a lot like the movie house.
User avatar
Sweet Zuni
Wicked As It Seems
 
Posts: 471
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:46 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Amityville Look Alike Houses

Postby antny000 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:20 pm

Yeah and I'll say this much: All of the houses I've seen in my area, would have been a MUCH BETTER choice than that crap house they used in the remake. The only problem is none of these houses are near water.

There's one house that looks like the movie house, chimneys and eye-windows on both sides. One side has a sun porch. The front resembles the front of the movie house except there is only one window on each floor on each side of the front door, not 2 like the house. But it would have made a great setting for the remake house... then again the roof is a triangle. Either way, the house looks like the movie house the most out of any "resembled" houses I've seen.
Gonna go make me some Sugar Cookie Stew! Yum yum!
User avatar
antny000
Amityville Addict
 
Posts: 902
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:21 pm
Location: Woodbridge, NJ

Re: Amityville Look Alike Houses

Postby antny000 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:57 am

Here's another house on a back road that I sometimes drive passed in the town where my job is, I happened to be taking the back road and when I hit the stop sign decided to take a quick shot. My phone is old and crappy so the photo isn't very big or good, but you get the idea.

I used to live in this town (Carteret, NJ) and I used to walk to my job at Blockbuster before I had a car, and when walking on the back roads, I used to walk passed this house all the time hoping to see the attic windows lit up. Never saw it, but, whenever I drive passed an Amityville-type house I always wished the windows were lit up like in the movies.

Image
Gonna go make me some Sugar Cookie Stew! Yum yum!
User avatar
antny000
Amityville Addict
 
Posts: 902
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:21 pm
Location: Woodbridge, NJ

Re: Amityville Look Alike Houses

Postby antny000 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:12 pm

Took a quick pic today on my way home of a house I drive passed everyday to/from work, it's similar to the movie house, but the attic windows are tinnny. Oh and that crappy shaded stuff is the tint I had on my window, some of it didn't come off, so, it's not anything "evil" in the picture lol I should've rolled the window down.

Image

There''s 2 more houses in my area that I wanna get pics of, and also another house that looks like a blend of the movie and real house.
Gonna go make me some Sugar Cookie Stew! Yum yum!
User avatar
antny000
Amityville Addict
 
Posts: 902
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:21 pm
Location: Woodbridge, NJ

Re: Amityville Look Alike Houses

Postby Chichibcc » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:52 pm

antny000 wrote:Took a quick pic today on my way home of a house I drive passed everyday to/from work, it's similar to the movie house, but the attic windows are tinnny. Oh and that crappy shaded stuff is the tint I had on my window, some of it didn't come off, so, it's not anything "evil" in the picture lol I should've rolled the window down.

Image

There''s 2 more houses in my area that I wanna get pics of, and also another house that looks like a blend of the movie and real house.


That's probably the most similar-looking house of all the ones you have taken photos of.
Actions speak louder than words....
User avatar
Chichibcc
Cat Avatar Lover
 
Posts: 3251
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:45 pm
Location: Battle Creek, Michigan

Re: Amityville Look Alike Houses

Postby Julabard » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:03 pm

These dutch style houses... I assumethat means there are houses like that in Holland?
I wish we had them in the UK, creepy as hell.
Okay, I see you there! There's a 12 gauge shotgun, waitin' for anybody trespassin'!
User avatar
Julabard
how strange...
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:28 am
Location: Mulhatten

Re: Amityville Look Alike Houses

Postby antny000 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:32 pm

I dunno about Holland but these were taken in New Jersey... most of them are in the town I live in, Woodbridge, one of the other photos I put up *the smallest photo, taken with my cell phone* is in the town I work in Carteret.

There's 2 other houses in my town that I want to get photos of, I'll try this week if it's nice out and I'm not running late for work like usual lol

One looks like the movie house, the other looks like the movie house except it's an all brick house, which is interesting to look at.
Gonna go make me some Sugar Cookie Stew! Yum yum!
User avatar
antny000
Amityville Addict
 
Posts: 902
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:21 pm
Location: Woodbridge, NJ

Re: Amityville Look Alike Houses

Postby Kinzoku » Sun May 01, 2011 4:48 am

antny000 wrote:I dunno about Holland but these were taken in New Jersey... most of them are in the town I live in, Woodbridge, one of the other photos I put up *the smallest photo, taken with my cell phone* is in the town I work in Carteret.

There's 2 other houses in my town that I want to get photos of, I'll try this week if it's nice out and I'm not running late for work like usual lol

One looks like the movie house, the other looks like the movie house except it's an all brick house, which is interesting to look at.


Dutch Colonials, or more importantly Dutch Colonial Revivals (what most in NE US are) were originally thought to be holdover Dutch designs from "old Holland" brought here in the 1600's. But the architecture is made up of more than Dutch influence; with that of English, Gaelic, and even French designs interwoven (the gambrel).
"The Revivals" were heavily predominate in the Northeast (including Connecticut,New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania) especially after the 1st decade of the last century (1914-1940's).
And as I explained before most true Dutch Colonials were brick or stone, and wood-framing only came to be in the late 18th century and because of this inherent design feature...some if not most Dutch Colonial revivals included "brick-fronts" or 'stone-fronts" with wood-framed sides as the Amityville House (revival) showed homage to. Brick-fronts or Stone-fronts were usually 'whitewashed' with dark siding on the wood-framed portions of the homes....that's why (I believe) that 112 was white 'out-back' on the river facade.
But yes, alot of influence WAS from the Dutch settlement of 'New Amsterdam" (NYC) where a goodly portion of buildings had some Dutch influences, but rarely with gambrel roofs.
The Revivals are mostly all that's left, as so many here have been good enough to post.

Sorry for the long post. I dig architecture.
Kinzoku
Quarter-Moon Inquisitor
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:20 pm

Re: Amityville Look Alike Houses

Postby antny000 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:17 am

Kinzoku wrote:
antny000 wrote:I dunno about Holland but these were taken in New Jersey... most of them are in the town I live in, Woodbridge, one of the other photos I put up *the smallest photo, taken with my cell phone* is in the town I work in Carteret.

There's 2 other houses in my town that I want to get photos of, I'll try this week if it's nice out and I'm not running late for work like usual lol

One looks like the movie house, the other looks like the movie house except it's an all brick house, which is interesting to look at.


Dutch Colonials, or more importantly Dutch Colonial Revivals (what most in NE US are) were originally thought to be holdover Dutch designs from "old Holland" brought here in the 1600's. But the architecture is made up of more than Dutch influence; with that of English, Gaelic, and even French designs interwoven (the gambrel).
"The Revivals" were heavily predominate in the Northeast (including Connecticut,New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania) especially after the 1st decade of the last century (1914-1940's).
And as I explained before most true Dutch Colonials were brick or stone, and wood-framing only came to be in the late 18th century and because of this inherent design feature...some if not most Dutch Colonial revivals included "brick-fronts" or 'stone-fronts" with wood-framed sides as the Amityville House (revival) showed homage to. Brick-fronts or Stone-fronts were usually 'whitewashed' with dark siding on the wood-framed portions of the homes....that's why (I believe) that 112 was white 'out-back' on the river facade.
But yes, alot of influence WAS from the Dutch settlement of 'New Amsterdam" (NYC) where a goodly portion of buildings had some Dutch influences, but rarely with gambrel roofs.
The Revivals are mostly all that's left, as so many here have been good enough to post.

Sorry for the long post. I dig architecture.



Well that explains it, being that NJ is one of the states where they mostly built them. And Woodbridge is a very old and historic town, there is A LOT of history in Woodbridge and it's a very vey big township. It's made up of all smaller towns (Fords, Iselen, Avenel, etc...) but all of them are part of Woodbridge. Being that the area I live in has a lot of houses from ages ago, I'm not surprised reading that and seeing that they were built in NJ a lot, because there's a lot of houses like that here. Aside from the Amityville look-alike houses, I happen to like a lot of the houses in this area, I guess because i like building model houses and dollhouses, I take notice for older looking designs, and a lot of houses in my area definately have that.

Side note: I lived in Woodbridge once before about 10 years ago with my mom, we lived in a very old house and one day while getting ready to play the drums in our basement, I came across a paper dated back to sometime in 1800. It was some kind of Ceriticate of Occupancy or something, I can't remember exactly, it was hanging on a rafter in the ceiling but I remember it being dated sometime in 1800 and being surprised at that.
Gonna go make me some Sugar Cookie Stew! Yum yum!
User avatar
antny000
Amityville Addict
 
Posts: 902
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:21 pm
Location: Woodbridge, NJ

Re: Amityville Look Alike Houses

Postby antny000 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:54 am

Image
Gonna go make me some Sugar Cookie Stew! Yum yum!
User avatar
antny000
Amityville Addict
 
Posts: 902
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:21 pm
Location: Woodbridge, NJ

Re: Amityville Look Alike Houses

Postby Jacobmarley1 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:15 am

I got one in my neighborhood that'll be hard to beat. I'll take a photo this week and then try and post it.
User avatar
Jacobmarley1
Amityville Addict
 
Posts: 805
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:41 pm
Location: Putnum County/Westchester County, New York

Re: Amityville Look Alike Houses

Postby Julabard » Mon May 02, 2011 2:59 pm

Thankyou, I love looking at these. Are these houses rare, or are there thousands around?
-J
Okay, I see you there! There's a 12 gauge shotgun, waitin' for anybody trespassin'!
User avatar
Julabard
how strange...
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:28 am
Location: Mulhatten

Re: Amityville Look Alike Houses

Postby antny000 » Wed May 04, 2011 9:35 am

Well... I think it depends on the area you're in... I mean if you go to Brooklyn, NY I don't think it's likely you'll see a lot of houses like that in that kind of area. But in my area there's a lot of old houses and 4 houses I pass on the way to work have the windows/roof/chimney, so in my area it's more likely you'll see houses like that. Depends on the area I guess.
Gonna go make me some Sugar Cookie Stew! Yum yum!
User avatar
antny000
Amityville Addict
 
Posts: 902
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:21 pm
Location: Woodbridge, NJ

Re: Amityville Look Alike Houses

Postby Julabard » Wed May 04, 2011 1:27 pm

I've been keeping an eye out over here and have found the best lookalike in town!
I'll try and grab a picture soon.
Okay, I see you there! There's a 12 gauge shotgun, waitin' for anybody trespassin'!
User avatar
Julabard
how strange...
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:28 am
Location: Mulhatten

Re: Amityville Look Alike Houses

Postby annyecarol » Wed May 04, 2011 9:57 pm

Image

This house was Laura Palmer's in Twin Peaks.
annyecarol
Amityville Member
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 1:09 pm
Location: Brasilia, Brazil

Re: Amityville Look Alike Houses

Postby Julabard » Thu May 05, 2011 12:33 am

Wow, that's great!
I love Twin Peaks and never realised the sides not on the street looked like that!
Okay, I see you there! There's a 12 gauge shotgun, waitin' for anybody trespassin'!
User avatar
Julabard
how strange...
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:28 am
Location: Mulhatten

Re: Amityville Look Alike Houses

Postby antny000 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:08 am

LOL reminds me that there's a building in south park that's show quite often with the "eye windows"... also in Creepshow 2 during the cartoon-ish ending when the little boy is being chased on his bike they show a bird's eye shot of the kid riding his bike and there's a house with the windows and I *think* the same roof.

These houses always catch my eye lol

I'll have to get photos of the other houses I always see... the brick one looks really cool, it's completely brick, has the same type-roof, a smaller sun porch than in the movie, and of course, the windows. I've seen a lot of houses that resemble the Amityville house, but never a brick one like the one I see.

Funny thing is, one of my friend's at work, her husband used to be a custodian for Woodbridge Township, and the school across the street from the brick look-alike house has been known to have activity in it. Years and years ago there was a train wreck, and the school (I'm guessing the basement??) was used to store bodies because there was not enough room at the morgue/funeral home. My co worker's told me stories that he's told her. I don't know the whole story with the train wreck, but I remember my other co worker telling me about it afer I had mentioned the school being "haunted".
Gonna go make me some Sugar Cookie Stew! Yum yum!
User avatar
antny000
Amityville Addict
 
Posts: 902
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:21 pm
Location: Woodbridge, NJ

Re: Amityville Look Alike Houses

Postby Yofriends » Fri May 06, 2011 10:53 am

That's really interesting. I like those houses !

I tried myself to find Amityville look alike houses, but it's quite difficult to find Dutch colonial houses in Europe, and especially in France...
Most of the houses in Europe are built in cinder block or in brick, but it's pretty rare to find houses in wood (except for chalets in mountains) with a colonial style.

So, just for fun, I tried to find a house in the city of Amityville that might resemble the real house or the movie house.
And I found one !
I think this house quite resembles the movie house. It's in white wood with a brick chimney, a sun porch on both sides and the quarter-moon windows on both sides too.
This look alike house is located just a few blocks from the real Amityville house.

Look at the image below, I put a sky-view of the location of the two houses and two street-view pictures of the look alike house (click on the image to see it in full size) :

Image

What do you think about that ? ;)
User avatar
Yofriends
Amityville Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 5:41 am
Location: Paris, France

Re: Amityville Look Alike Houses

Postby gremlin » Fri May 06, 2011 5:10 pm

well i love this thread, i have some amityvillish houses up here in Maine that i will try to get some pics of for you all. well they have the window...
gremlin
Amityville Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:44 pm

Re: Amityville Look Alike Houses

Postby antny000 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:56 pm

Good find, it reminds me a lot of the movie house, just without the barn shaped roof... awesome find... it makes me wonder why if it's so easy for people like us to find these houses, why we ended up with a not-so-resembled house in the remake. Hopefully if they make another film, they stick with a house that looks more like the real house/original movie house!
Gonna go make me some Sugar Cookie Stew! Yum yum!
User avatar
antny000
Amityville Addict
 
Posts: 902
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:21 pm
Location: Woodbridge, NJ

Next

Return to Amityville Photographs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
cron