"High Hopes" chart topper is about Ronnie

General Discussion About the 1974 DeFeo Murders and related topics
Post Reply
User avatar
Amit Y Ville
Streaming on Twitch from the red room
Posts: 611

"High Hopes" chart topper is about Ronnie

Post by Amit Y Ville » Sat May 11, 2019 12:28 pm

High Hopes song by Panic! At The Disco is a worldwide smash. However, the title being connected to the Amityville legend is no coincidence. Reading the lyrics, am I the only one to believe the song is truly about a failed aspiring Ronald Defeo Jr?

Had to have high, high hopes for a living
Shooting for the stars when I couldn't make a killing


Shooting has a clear connection to that one fateful night, as does the killing. Here it does seem the lyricist did NOT follow through with murdering his full family, or even one kill.

Didn't have a dime but I always had a vision
Always had high, high hopes
Had to have high, high hopes for a living
Didn't know how but I always had a feeling
I was gonna be that one in a million


Ronnie was always broke and looking for drugs money.
The vision of the shadowy figure holding him the gun.
"Always had a feeling" is that famous quote used by those that are in the presence of entities
One in a million, is what Ronnie was to murder his family

So I got one more run and it's gonna be a sight to see

This worrying lyric hints that the character the lyricist is playing will one day try again to "do a Ronnie".

Hopefully, it truly is fiction and the lead singer of this pop band won't let history repeat itself.
"Everything's sliding into place. Just ONE more sacrifice Lisa."

User avatar
believer
Amityville Member
Posts: 45

Re: "High Hopes" chart topper is about Ronnie

Post by believer » Sun May 12, 2019 2:30 pm

Actually.....Brendon Urie (the lead singer of Panic! At The Disco) explained the meaning of the lyrics on Twitter when the song was released.

Sooooo...

Sorry...not Amityville related whatsoever.



User avatar
Amit Y Ville
Streaming on Twitch from the red room
Posts: 611

Re: "High Hopes" chart topper is about Ronnie

Post by Amit Y Ville » Mon May 13, 2019 7:01 am

believer wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:30 pm
Actually.....Brendon Urie (the lead singer of Panic! At The Disco) explained the meaning of the lyrics on Twitter when the song was released.

Sooooo...

Sorry...not Amityville related whatsoever.


Only if you take everything at face value. Not saying he’s wrong. Lots of popular songs have double or triple meanings.

https://www.secretsofsongwriting.com/20 ... e-meaning/

If the song is so positive, it wouldn’t use such language as “killing”, or be cryptic. The beauty is in working out the true meaning. Also, we know the leading member is a big fan of horror movies.

https://www.altpress.com/news/panic_at_ ... railer_11/
"Everything's sliding into place. Just ONE more sacrifice Lisa."

jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict
Posts: 611

Re: "High Hopes" chart topper is about Ronnie

Post by jimmysmokes » Mon May 13, 2019 7:48 am

Most of his posts have nothing to do with Amityville. Furthermore it belongs on the DeFeo discussion, not here.

Calling all administrators! Wake up
We gonna break it down, let's get into it. No doubt about it.

User avatar
TC1
Amityville Member
Posts: 94
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:

Re: "High Hopes" chart topper is about Ronnie

Post by TC1 » Mon May 13, 2019 10:32 am

Don't you think you might be reading a little bit deep into this? I seriously doubt a song about the Amityville Horror specifically about Butch made by a band of that genre would materialize in today's music, I don't intend any disrespect.

User avatar
Amit Y Ville
Streaming on Twitch from the red room
Posts: 611

Re: "High Hopes" chart topper is about Ronnie

Post by Amit Y Ville » Mon May 13, 2019 12:00 pm

TC1 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:32 am
Don't you think you might be reading a little bit deep into this? I seriously doubt a song about the Amityville Horror specifically about Butch made by a band of that genre would materialize in today's music, I don't intend any disrespect.
No. High hopes isn't a common phrase at least where I come from. I've already talked about hidden and double meanings a few posts back. The song "Turning Japanese" is a great example.
"Everything's sliding into place. Just ONE more sacrifice Lisa."

jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict
Posts: 611

Re: "High Hopes" chart topper is about Ronnie

Post by jimmysmokes » Mon May 13, 2019 12:02 pm

Neither is common sense...
We gonna break it down, let's get into it. No doubt about it.

User avatar
Amit Y Ville
Streaming on Twitch from the red room
Posts: 611

Re: "High Hopes" chart topper is about Ronnie

Post by Amit Y Ville » Mon May 13, 2019 12:05 pm

jimmysmokes wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:02 pm
Neither is common sense...
It's fine bro, I'm sure the copious amounts of the green stuff you're smoking is the main reason for your lack of.
"Everything's sliding into place. Just ONE more sacrifice Lisa."

jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict
Posts: 611

Re: "High Hopes" chart topper is about Ronnie

Post by jimmysmokes » Mon May 13, 2019 2:35 pm

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:05 pm
jimmysmokes wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:02 pm
Neither is common sense...
It's fine bro, I'm sure the copious amounts of the green stuff you're smoking is the main reason for your lack of.
Got a little green eyed yourself huh? Jealousy? But there might be a noise in your pipes tonight so you can apply it to the paranormal and come in here and start a new thread tomorrow. How's that sound bro?
We gonna break it down, let's get into it. No doubt about it.

User avatar
Amit Y Ville
Streaming on Twitch from the red room
Posts: 611

Re: "High Hopes" chart topper is about Ronnie

Post by Amit Y Ville » Mon May 13, 2019 2:57 pm

jimmysmokes wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:35 pm
Amit Y Ville wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:05 pm
jimmysmokes wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:02 pm
Neither is common sense...
It's fine bro, I'm sure the copious amounts of the green stuff you're smoking is the main reason for your lack of.
Got a little green eyed yourself huh? Jealousy? But there might be a noise in your pipes tonight so you can apply it to the paranormal and come in here and start a new thread tomorrow. How's that sound bro?
It'd be nice to see you post a new thread. I mean, that'd actually be the one and only time you weren't derailing other peoples.

Dan will catch up with you on that.

Anyway, back on the ignore list you go. :lol:
"Everything's sliding into place. Just ONE more sacrifice Lisa."

User avatar
Bodie_Rose
Amityville Addict
Posts: 171

Re: "High Hopes" chart topper is about Ronnie

Post by Bodie_Rose » Thu May 16, 2019 6:08 am

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:01 am
believer wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:30 pm
Actually.....Brendon Urie (the lead singer of Panic! At The Disco) explained the meaning of the lyrics on Twitter when the song was released.

Sooooo...

Sorry...not Amityville related whatsoever.


Only if you take everything at face value. Not saying he’s wrong. Lots of popular songs have double or triple meanings.

https://www.secretsofsongwriting.com/20 ... e-meaning/

If the song is so positive, it wouldn’t use such language as “killing”, or be cryptic. The beauty is in working out the true meaning. Also, we know the leading member is a big fan of horror movies.

https://www.altpress.com/news/panic_at_ ... railer_11/
You really are reading way too much into it.

Brendon Urie wrote the song and explained it's meaning, so he certainly isn't "wrong" lol
The lyrics completely fit the meaning he gave the song, he wrote it and while you're welcome to interpret it however you want, it is not the correct meaning.

Nothing to do with Ronnie or the murders or the house, but hey... if you want to believe so then so be it.

User avatar
Amit Y Ville
Streaming on Twitch from the red room
Posts: 611

Re: "High Hopes" chart topper is about Ronnie

Post by Amit Y Ville » Thu May 16, 2019 9:17 am

Bodie_Rose wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:08 am
Amit Y Ville wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:01 am
believer wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:30 pm
Actually.....Brendon Urie (the lead singer of Panic! At The Disco) explained the meaning of the lyrics on Twitter when the song was released.

Sooooo...

Sorry...not Amityville related whatsoever.


Only if you take everything at face value. Not saying he’s wrong. Lots of popular songs have double or triple meanings.

https://www.secretsofsongwriting.com/20 ... e-meaning/

If the song is so positive, it wouldn’t use such language as “killing”, or be cryptic. The beauty is in working out the true meaning. Also, we know the leading member is a big fan of horror movies.

https://www.altpress.com/news/panic_at_ ... railer_11/
You really are reading way too much into it.

Brendon Urie wrote the song and explained it's meaning, so he certainly isn't "wrong" lol
The lyrics completely fit the meaning he gave the song, he wrote it and while you're welcome to interpret it however you want, it is not the correct meaning.

Nothing to do with Ronnie or the murders or the house, but hey... if you want to believe so then so be it.
Who said he was wrong then? I don't seem to have that post on my device.

I've already explained art can have hidden meanings. Not my fault if you take everything at face value and don't wish to look deeper man.
"Everything's sliding into place. Just ONE more sacrifice Lisa."

User avatar
Bodie_Rose
Amityville Addict
Posts: 171

Re: "High Hopes" chart topper is about Ronnie

Post by Bodie_Rose » Fri May 17, 2019 11:43 am

Amit Y Ville wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:17 am
Bodie_Rose wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:08 am
Amit Y Ville wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:01 am


Only if you take everything at face value. Not saying he’s wrong. Lots of popular songs have double or triple meanings.

https://www.secretsofsongwriting.com/20 ... e-meaning/

If the song is so positive, it wouldn’t use such language as “killing”, or be cryptic. The beauty is in working out the true meaning. Also, we know the leading member is a big fan of horror movies.

https://www.altpress.com/news/panic_at_ ... railer_11/
You really are reading way too much into it.

Brendon Urie wrote the song and explained it's meaning, so he certainly isn't "wrong" lol
The lyrics completely fit the meaning he gave the song, he wrote it and while you're welcome to interpret it however you want, it is not the correct meaning.

Nothing to do with Ronnie or the murders or the house, but hey... if you want to believe so then so be it.
Who said he was wrong then? I don't seem to have that post on my device.

I've already explained art can have hidden meanings. Not my fault if you take everything at face value and don't wish to look deeper man.
You are attaching meaning to a song someone else wrote and has publically described the meaning of it and why he wrote it. I'm pretty familiar with Panic! and what Brendon has said about his own struggles in life, High Hopes is exactly about them.
You're suggesting a meaning to the song that has nothing to do with the intent of it's writer. It is your own interpretation and yours alone, so technically yes, you are implying an artist is wrong about their own work by insisting there's a deeper meaning.

Like I said, if you wish to attach your own meaning to the lyrics, do so... but there's no question that Brendon Urie meant it any way other than what he's stated HIMSELF

The term killing itself has more than one meaning. Like "making a killing" means a financial success of some sort. Brendon was talking about not giving up even though you're broke, basically.

User avatar
Matt9290
Oh My Goodness
Posts: 520
Location: UK

Re: "High Hopes" chart topper is about Ronnie

Post by Matt9290 » Sat May 18, 2019 11:35 am

Image
I wish I had the nerve not to tip...

User avatar
TC1
Amityville Member
Posts: 94
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:

Re: "High Hopes" chart topper is about Ronnie

Post by TC1 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:03 pm

Matt9290 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:35 am
Image
*Nods in approval*

User avatar
Amit Y Ville
Streaming on Twitch from the red room
Posts: 611

Re: "High Hopes" chart topper is about Ronnie

Post by Amit Y Ville » Wed May 29, 2019 1:59 pm

Exactly my point.
"Everything's sliding into place. Just ONE more sacrifice Lisa."

User avatar
Matt9290
Oh My Goodness
Posts: 520
Location: UK

Re: "High Hopes" chart topper is about Ronnie

Post by Matt9290 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:07 am

This just goes to prove that no topic posted is completely worthless. It can always serve as a bad example
I wish I had the nerve not to tip...

Post Reply