Shattered Hopes Question

General Discussion About the 1974 DeFeo Murders and related topics

Shattered Hopes Question

Postby Tombstoner » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:48 pm

What exactly is "Shattered Hopes" found at www.amityvillefilm.com? Is this the same thing that was on the Reelz Channel or is it a movie or just what is it? And what about parts 2 and 3? I'm interested in this but I am wondering if this is what I've already seen. Surely someone has seen the Reelz documentary and can tell me if it's the same thing or not. Somebody please fill me in!
I like that house they made. I'd love to have that in my back yard!
Tombstoner
Amityville Member

Re: Shattered Hopes Question

Postby sherbetbizarre » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:54 am

Tombstoner wrote:What exactly is "Shattered Hopes" found at http://www.amityvillefilm.com? Is this the same thing that was on the Reelz Channel or is it a movie or just what is it? And what about parts 2 and 3? I'm interested in this but I am wondering if this is what I've already seen. Surely someone has seen the Reelz documentary and can tell me if it's the same thing or not. Somebody please fill me in!

Yeah, the Reelz special is a cut-down version of Shattered Hopes - Greatly cut-down as SH will probably run around 7-8 hours when it's finished, and the Reelzs version was 2 hours inc. commercials.

When it began, they hoped to set out to prove Ronnie had help with the murders, but if you've seen Reelz, then you know it ends with the director saying he thinks Ronnie acted alone anyway... well, watching the long versions you have to sit through many dramatic recreations of events that even the director has since discarded, so you may find it a huge waste of time.

Parts 1 & 2 can be bought on DVD, but Part 3 has been long-delayed due to the director making other documentaries, being sued by ex-producers, and his general tardiness.
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Re: Shattered Hopes Question

Postby Rokiisun » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:06 pm

I had no idea they shortened it down for television. I still think 7 or 8 hours is a bit excessive for a three part (or is it four?) series.

He probably would have been better doing it as an eight part series instead of focusing on a main theme and trying to cram three or four sub topics relating to that theme per DVD/part (given that it has taken him nearly twelve years to roll out the project).

If he released one-hour long dvds/parts then he could have spread these out over a period of time and kept his audience happy, I think he's probably lost a good portion of his audience but I've not been following the updates on shattered hopes for a long time to know what's going on with the project anymore. I wasn't interested in getting the other parts after watching the first part about almost six years ago now.
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.
Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Return to DeFeo Discussion