Did Butch attend Amityville Memorial High School?

General Discussion About the 1974 DeFeo Murders and related topics
indigo_turquoise
Amityville Member

Did Butch attend Amityville Memorial High School?

Post by indigo_turquoise » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:43 pm

Hello folks,
So weird to see a whole forum with people dedicated to my hometown. When I lived there I took for granted how notorious of a place it was. Can't believe there are people all over the world obsessed with my town! LOL!

Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone could tell me whether or not Butch DeFeo ever attended AHS. At college a popular icebreaker question now is "Famous person who graduated from your high school" and while Massapequa has legendary actors Alec Baldwin and Jerry Seinfeld and Lindenhurst has famous singer Pat Benatar, in Amityville the most famous is a mass murderer :| BUT, even though it states right on AHS's Wikipedia that Ronald DeFeo is a "famous alumni", I just found out while looking at some accounts of what happened in the family leading up to the murders that he "was kicked out of PAROCHIAL school at age 17..." According to the very first Newsday article about the murders, Dawn DeFeo had graduated from St. John the Baptist HS, the nearest private high school, the summer before she and the rest of the family were killed. I guess Butch probably went to SJB too and got kicked out? Trust me I know that in the section of A-ville where the horror house is, almost everyone does private school, but I had always thought that trend didn't start until the 80s/90s when the crack epidemic hit North Amity hard and the public schools became dangerous. Can anybody confirm what high school Butch attended (or, well, was kicked out of)? If it turns out he really didn't go to AHS at all, I guess I'll have to figure out a new famous alumni to say for those icebreakers. Oh well!

Buick - 1975
Amityville Member

Re: Did Butch attend Amityville Memorial High School?

Post by Buick - 1975 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:43 am

I've just had a quick look for you and at 12 in Brooklyn he went to St. Jerome's where he claimed he was stabbed by two other students and he was thrown out of there. Then afterwards at home, supposedly his father threw a chair at him and knocked out all his front teeth.
From there they moved to Amityville where he went to Amityville Junior High for about 3 months from September to December. There he was constantly fighting with the teachers and students and they made Ron see a school psychologist for a couple of times and then they threw him out.
Then he went to Mercy High School, a Catholic school in Riverhead. They let him finish out the remainder of the school year and then threw him out and told him he could not return there the following year.
Then he went to St. Francis prep for a year (ninth grade) in Brooklyn. "My father said he was going to straighten me out the same way he was straightened out when he was my age". There he fought with the brothers.
Then he went to Amityville Memorial High School. "They put me in the tenth year. Sophomore year". That's where he said he started using drugs. "I never went. And when I did go, I'd go to school for two days and they'd suspend me for 10... They gave me a choice of you'd better quit before we throw you out. So I quit". I think this was around the time Ron's parents made him see a psychiatrist for about a year and a half.

indigo_turquoise
Amityville Member

Post by indigo_turquoise » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:53 pm

Buick - 1975 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:43 am
I've just had a quick look for you and at 12 in Brooklyn he went to St. Jerome's where he claimed he was stabbed by two other students and he was thrown out of there. Then afterwards at home, supposedly his father threw a chair at him and knocked out all his front teeth.
From there they moved to Amityville where he went to Amityville Junior High for about 3 months from September to December. There he was constantly fighting with the teachers and students and they made Ron see a school psychologist for a couple of times and then they threw him out.
Then he went to Mercy High School, a Catholic school in Riverhead. They let him finish out the remainder of the school year and then threw him out and told him he could not return there the following year.
Then he went to St. Francis prep for a year (ninth grade) in Brooklyn. "My father said he was going to straighten me out the same way he was straightened out when he was my age". There he fought with the brothers.
Then he went to Amityville Memorial High School. "They put me in the tenth year. Sophomore year". That's where he said he started using drugs. "I never went. And when I did go, I'd go to school for two days and they'd suspend me for 10... They gave me a choice of you'd better quit before we throw you out. So I quit". I think this was around the time Ron's parents made him see a psychiatrist for about a year and a half.
Alright! Thank you so much! Where did you find all this info?

Buick - 1975
Amityville Member

Post by Buick - 1975 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:59 pm

It's from Ron's court transcript. So I'm not sure if The stabbing and chair parts are true, but this is what Ron said happened. So I thought they were worth mentioning.