Shattered Hopes (film by Ric Osuna & Katco)

General Discussion About the 1974 DeFeo Murders and related topics
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:56 pm

Yeah, I was wondering about this the other day. It seems the Shattered Hopes website (that Osuna still has a link for on his site) is now just a generic parked web page. Or did they ever have any content on it???

http://www.shattered-hopes.com/

zzvampy
The Black Bralia

Post by zzvampy » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:48 pm

Maybe we'll have to just...

..."Wait for the book". :roll:

msmart112
Amityville_Member

Post by msmart112 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:51 pm

Dan the Damned wrote:Yeah, I was wondering about this the other day. It seems the Shattered Hopes website (that Osuna still has a link for on his site) is now just a generic parked web page. Or did they ever have any content on it???

http://www.shattered-hopes.com/
Originally it said that the documentary would be out in fall of 2006.

Then it said...

"Temporarily Disabled"

http://web.archive.org/web/200608132131 ... hopes.com/

...not sure if that meant the website or the documentary.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:02 pm

Well... if they don't have the money to keep a simple website up and running... lotsa luck on making that motion picture project... :roll:

msmart112
Amityville_Member

Post by msmart112 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:25 pm

Dan the Damned wrote:Well... if they don't have the money to keep a simple website up and running... lotsa luck on making that motion picture project... :roll:
Maybe they're using the revenue from the twenty or so copies of TNTDD that Katco Media sold to fund the project?

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:55 am

Is their Adleman book "Temporarily Disabled" too?

Shawn
Been there, Done that

Post by Shawn » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:19 pm

msmart112 wrote:
Dan the Damned wrote:Well... if they don't have the money to keep a simple website up and running... lotsa luck on making that motion picture project... :roll:
Maybe they're using the revenue from the twenty or so copies of TNTDD that Katco Media sold to fund the project?

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!! :lol:

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:21 am

Wouldn't it be cool if you could sit in on rehearsals for five minutes...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... =171278763

Eric Walter
Independent Artist

Post by Eric Walter » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:37 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:Wouldn't it be cool if you could sit in on rehearsals for five minutes...

Oh, this looks like a real winner. :roll:

I know this is only a rehearsal but it appears to be bad casting on the actor playing Ronnie. Overacted nonsense.
"All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare." - Baruch Spinoza

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:42 pm

radiomixer wrote:
Dan the Damned wrote:
This will be Ric's directorial debut as he produced History's Mysteries: Amityville: The Haunting (2000)...
Didn't Ric throw a hissy-fit and walk off the job?

They make it sound like he was the only "producer," when he barely was one of 3 (or how ever many there were). In fact, didn't Ric hinder that production rather than help?

I believe the bio on his site (which shall remain unnamed) had him portrayed as the head researcher of the History's Mysteries doco's.

And I very much doubt that in this instance he would throw a hissy fit and walk off the job - especially when everything is going his way.

FilmmakerEBW wrote: Oh, this looks like a real winner. :roll:

I know this is only a rehearsal but it appears to be bad casting on the actor playing Ronnie. Overacted nonsense.
Eric - are you at all surprised considering who is at the helm?
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:04 pm

Sorry, the hissy fit I was referring to was back when Ric got mad and walked away from the History's Mysteries documentary. Not this current documentary with Katco.

Padraig
Amityville Member

Post by Padraig » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:21 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:Wouldn't it be cool if you could sit in on rehearsals for five minutes...

Paging Leonard Pinth-Garnell.

"Monumentally ill-advised!"

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:49 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:Wanted: Gerri!
Date: 14 Jun 2007, 10:50

Subject: CASTING FOR A TRUE CRIME DOCUMENTARY...

Details: Age Range: From 20 to 30

Body:
We're going to hold auditions tomorrow in North Hollywood! We're looking for a talented actress to take part in re-enactment sequences for a cutting edge, very stylish documentary on one of America's most infamous mass murders...The DeFeo murders, which spawned the "Amityville Horror" hoax.

Geraldine, mid-20's. Italian, long, dark hair. Some musical ability would be very helpful, but not an absolute requirement. Gerri is fairly tall, thin, and very attractive. This is a tough, earthy no-nonsense gal with attitude who finds herself in love with Ronald DeFeo, Jr., whom she ultimately marries BEFORE the murders take place in Amityville in 1974. Much of our documentary is based upon testimony from Gerri DeFeo more than 30 years after the murders took place, as well as TONS of additional research and document finding that has taken us all over the country. After the murder took place, and fearing that Gerri would be wrongly implicated in the crime as an accomplice by a corrupt prosecution, Gerri and Ronald DeFeo's marriage record was destroyed by the family's mob connections. For more than 30 years, no one knew that DeFeo, who currently serves six life sentences for the crime of killing his family, was married at the time of the crime. Many of re! -enactment sequences in our film are based upon Geraldine DeFeo's recollections of the DeFeo family and the events leading up to November 13, 1974. New York/New Jersey/Long Island accent is a must.

THIS IS A NON-UNION PROJECT. APPLICANTS MUST BE NON-UNION OR SAG FI-CORE. There is pay!
...I don't know where to even begin with this one!
Why not just call it Amityville 2.5, re-hire Rutanya Alda to do some more overacting? ?
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:41 am

Ryan! You removed the clip! Don't piss out on me now!

Jacobmarley1
Amityville Addict

Post by Jacobmarley1 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:15 am

below you will find new information pertaining to the upcoming Amityville murders movie

Shattered Hopes docu progresses; Quantum helms makeup unit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hollywood, CA/Jan. 17, 2008 - Katco has wrapped another large portion of its documentary on the Amityville murders, Shattered Hopes, via the completion of the narrative segments.

Filming wrapped on a Hollywood soundstage last week.

"We now have all the narration for the documentary wrapped, and we're just shy of being done with the last interviews, so between having the narrative locked down, and the testimony of those involved locked in, the only thing left is to wrap the remaining re-enactment sequences that we haven't filmed yet and the project is in the can," says producer Ryan Katzenbach.

The project, which commenced filming in the summer of 2006 has toggled between re-enactments and filming interviews. "We've been all over the board with this project, all over the country, and the scope greatly increased from when we committed to the project. We were very ambitious in thinking the project would be done within a year, but it's taken a lot longer and the project has been juggled with the other numerous things we have going on," says Katzenbach. "It's been slow going, but I feel like we have a really dynamic documentary."

Above • Ryan Katzenbach behind the camera during the fall of 2007 at the DeFeo grave in Farmingdale, New York.

Research, says Kat, has also evolved and changed the scope of the project. "We've put our hands on some interesting new stuff, new photos, and it's caused us to revise the script, look for other individuals, and we've interviewed more people than we originally thought we would. It's a bigger project than either Ric, Diana or myself envisioned, but I am very happy with where we're at."

Katco is also pleased to announce that it has enlisted Burbank-based Quantum Creation FX to the Amityville docu. Quantum's credits include Scary Movie 4, and the recent Will Smith film, I Am Legend, among many other films. Quantum is handling all blood effects and make-up on the documentary. "We approached Quantum because another company we were working with recommended them. After a brief meeting, we knew they would be an awesome addition to the film. We mapped out what we wanted, specifically including recreating very specific wounds to the DeFeo victims, we provided them the autopsy photos, and we were amazed at what they were able to come up with given the very modest budget we had to work with...the wounds are very accurate recreations," says Kat. "They are absolutely incredible as a visual effects company."

Shattered Hopes should wrap filming later this spring. "We're not in a hurry, we're not on a deadline and it's [a situation] where when we decide that the film is ready, we'll get it ready to sell and not before."

Check back for more updates on Shattered Hopes. Katco also plans to release a website on the project as it gets closer to being wrapped.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:49 am

Thanks, Jacob. Updates can be found here: http://www.katcomedias.com/film.html

I sincerly hope that is not one their actors "acting" in front of the DeFeo grave :(

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:01 am

Good to see Bobby Kelske is being treated with respect...

http://www.katcomedias.com/moretti.html
"He's a sly little SOB," jokes Hollywood actor David Moretti while discussing his role as Bobby Kelske in Katco's forthcoming documentary Shattered Hopes: The True Story of the Amityville Murders.
The actor, today, says he is most looking forward to the forthcoming shoot which depicts the actual murders.
"We strongly believe, based on forensics, that there were accomplices that helped Butch DeFeo murder the family that night, and I personally believe that Butch wasn't necessarily the one who instigated the crime," says Kat. "We believe very strongly that Bob Kelske was there and he pulled the trigger on at least one of the DeFeos."
:shock:

And if Ryan Katzenbach refers to himself as "Kat" once more I'm going to vomit :evil:

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:10 am

On the Screenplay reading...

http://www.katcomedias.com/AMreading.html
Though Ryan Katzenbach is pleased with the attendance of industry execs, he is most satisfied, he says, with the attendance of some special VIP guests. "Right there in the audience were personal friends of the DeFeos. They knew them very, very well before the murders, and I am so pleased that they travelled the distance to attend this reading," says Katzenbach. "There is a lot of pressure when you're telling a true story and participants of that story are sitting right there in the 5th row. There's some development folks in the audience, managers, and some agents among us, but I am most nervous about the DeFeo's friends. Will THEY like the project...will we pass snuff with them?"
YEAH RIGHT!

Jacobmarley1
Amityville Addict

Post by Jacobmarley1 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:14 pm

this would have been a GREAT project. Except they're going with the version I least like - the one where people helped Ronald Jr.

Here's what the perfect version would have been:

*Ronnie is arrested, and a trial is held.
*Through the trial, one version is revealed - pan to reinactment of that "version."
*Then another version comes about - pan to reinact that version; and so on...get all the versions down, if they want so bad to show that Butch had accomplices, but also show the "official" version to give the documentary the "full effect."

Looks to me like they're limiting themselves to just one effect and calling it a day.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:10 pm

Jacobmarley1 wrote:Looks to me like they're limiting themselves to just one effect and calling it a day.
Well, that would make it faithful to Ric's book... :wink:
"Right there in the audience were personal friends of the DeFeos. They knew them very, very well before the murders, and I am so pleased that they travelled the distance to attend this reading..."
Would the VIPs be Geraldine and a friend whom she "testified" was also there in the early 70s? :roll:

zzvampy
The Black Bralia

Post by zzvampy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:23 am

http://www.katcomedias.com/picture.html

:roll:

The picture of Geraldine Gates kneeling/squatting, whatever she's doing, in front of the DeFeo grave is the epitomy of disrespect.