911 Call

General Discussion About the 1974 DeFeo Murders and related topics

Postby KevinW » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:12 am

persephone wrote:
KevinW wrote:A year ago, my home was broken into, and the five minutes I was on the phone with the police was the longest five minutes ever. I'm certain I was probably hysterical in trying to get info to the 911 operator.

Yikes, Kevin! I hope everyone was OK and nothing taken! I have suffered break-ins too when I lived in Atlanta. It is the weirdest thing to walk around your house realizing some stranger -- or worse yet some fiend who might not want to just steal -- has been walking around your own home, poking into things. These guys could have taken jewelry or any other thing of value in the home (three peeps shared the home, so there was plenty there) but they went straight for my Technics turntables. Vintage 1200's. It was like being ... violated. Sorry to hear of your ordeal.

I wasn't home when it happened. I was at work. Came home and noticed a light on upstairs and thought I'd accidentally left it on. Unlocked the front door, went in, and turned on the Christmas lights, shocked to find several presents torn open and thrown about. At first I thought a wild animal had gotten in and gone for the smell of the candles in the presents (Christmas cookies, chocolate chip cookies, etc.). Then I noticed a light in the kitchen and cautiously went out there and turned on the lights. The fridge door was open, some food laying out on the floor. Again I thought it was an animal that had gotten in somehow. Then I noticed cupboard doors open and the back door unlocked. I realized somebody'd been there and then began wondering if they were still there. Realizing there were three doors between me and the front door, I wasted no time in running back outside and calling 911 on my cell phone. While on the phone, I walked around to my back patio and saw the broken basement window where they'd gotten in. Two officers showed up. When I told them I hadn't checked the whole place out and didn't know if anybody was still inside, they had me wait behind the cruisers while they went in with guns drawn. It may look dramatic on COPS, but in real life, seeing cops go into your home with guns drawn is the scariest thing to see.

A week before Christmas, the kid behind the nearly 30 burglaries in my neighborhood was arrested while breaking into another home. By how my stuff was gone through (in my closet, they took a Budweiser shirt out of the middle of about 30 T-shirts, so they took the time to be selective), I know there was at least one other person in my home. Turns out I'd seen him next door before at my neighbors' kids' parties (he was 20), and he lived a couple blocks away. Since gloves were not worn, finger prints (as well as shoe prints left in the styrofoam on my model reailroad layout in the basement where whoever came through the window stepped on it) linked him up to all of the crime scenes.

I lost about $2100 in DVDs, food, jewelry, clothing, and cameras/film. I've improved security as much as I can since I'm renting my townhouse. My insurance replaced most everything. Had a $500 coverage in my renter's insurance for jewelry, and my high school and college rings alone cost over $800 to get replaced. I'm working now on listing everything I own and trying to get pics of everything for if I would ever need it again in the future. I'm also still dealing with the memories of that night. I'm doing better than I have been in the past, but it still haunts me when I go into a room and remember how it looked that night.

What is really weird is that the day it happened, I was at work and suddenly had a feeling all day that something was wrong and that I shouldn't have been at work.

Kevin
http://chatanuga.org
KevinW
Amityville Maniac

Postby radiomixer » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:36 am

I am so glad you weren't hurt. I think it's great you shared your story with us, reminding us that the holidays, too, are an important time to think about the safety of hearth and home.

In ATL, one of the break-ins wasn't a true break-in at all -- the resident maintenence guy lived about two doors away from me. We'd invited him to stop in when we moved in. Weeks later he simply let himself in with his key, and took my remaining turntable. Not long after he took it, we had a repair concern and went to hsi apartment, and all we had to do was look past him and see it out in the open on his bookcase.

But I had bought it used and forgot to write the serial numbers down somewhere (hard lesson learned there), so we didn't have a case. We were 100% sure: the TT had a deep gash on one side, so we identified it with no problem.

Back to the 911-call topic: I used to be very visable in radio and television. One night a guy tried to snatch me as soon as I got out of my car with my groceries. As soon as I heard him jump from the bushes, I dropped the food and ran like hell, beating him to my apartment (after only an eight-foot-head-start). I am very sure I was babbling 90MPH by the time I got 911 ...
radiomixer
Billy's Next Ex-Wife

Postby t00nCiNaToR » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:53 am

redsun24 wrote:I would love to hear the original phone call. I wonder where I can find that.

You should be able to get it under the freedom of information act, I would probably look at Suffolk County 911.
"It happened so quick. I mean, it was boom, boom, boom. From the first killing to the last, it never took any longer than seven seconds,
it would be alot, that would have been alot. Seven seconds." - Ronald J. DeFeo Jr.
t00nCiNaToR
I Kick Ass for the Lord!

Postby radiomixer » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:35 pm

I don't know of anywhere to actually hear the call, but the transcript for it is linked in the first post of this same thread. :)
radiomixer
Billy's Next Ex-Wife

Re: Original 911 Call of the DeFeo Murders- "everybody'

Postby LisaMarie » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:46 pm

suffolk wrote:Here is a complete transcript:
http://truelegends.info/amityville/call.htm

It makes a good read because it gives a realistic portrayal of the area that the house is in.

Thanks for the link. They have some misinformation about poor Ketcham though. He was never into the spiritualism aspects. He didn't attend the spiritualist circles his friend Isaac Post did. Lucretia's letter mentions her own curiosity on the issue. But worry over a friend of their who literally went mad.

It also makes no mention of his work as an abolitionist and a sufferagist.
LisaMarie
Amityville Addict

911 Call...........

Postby chipper10 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:38 pm

Does anybody know if the real audio tape from the 911 call (the night the DeFeo's died) is available to be heard anywhere (on a website or something)? I've only been able to find the transcripts.
chipper10
Amityville Member

Postby Howard64 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:46 pm

that i have no idea about...sorry
Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Postby Dave Shining » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:09 pm

i highly dout it, but would like to know
Dave Shining
Formerly "ReignMaker"

Postby tallman » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:37 pm

i think you would be able to find it somewhere, but probably not on the internet? would they be an archive at the police department or something?
and a child shall lead them

My horror movie Forum
tallman

Postby chipper10 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:53 pm

Yeah, it's probably at some police station.
chipper10
Amityville Member

Postby Marty112 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:26 pm

There was a transcript of the call somewhere, I remember seeing it online.
How accurate it is, I am not sure.
M.M.
Marty112
Resident Pastor

Postby Dave Shining » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:40 am

911 Call

Operator: "Suffolk County Police. May I help you?"
Man: "Hah?" Operator: This is Suffolk County Police. May I help you?"
Man: "We have a shooting here. Uh, DeFeo."
Operator: "Sir, what is your name?" Man: "Joey Yeswit."
Operator: "Can you spell that?"
Man: "Yeah. Y-E-S W I T." Operator: "Y-E-S-W. .
Man: "Hah?"
Operator: "Y-E-S . .
Man: "Y-E-S-W-I-T."
Operator: ". . . W-I-T. Your phone number?"
Man: "I don't even know if it's here. There's, uh, I don't have a phone number here."
Operator: "Okay, where you calling from?"
Man: "It's in Amityville. Call up the Amityville Police, and it's right off, uh . . ."
Man: "Ocean Avenue in Amityville."
Operator: "Austin?"
Man: "Ocean Avenue. What the ... ?"
Operator: "Ocean ... Avenue? Offa where?"
Man: "It's right off Merrick Road. Ocean Avenue."
Operator: "Merrick Poad. What's ... what's the problem, Sir?"
Man: "It's a shooting!"
Operator: "There's a shooting. Anybody hurt?"
Man: "Hah?"
Operator: "Anybody hurt?"
Man: "Yeah, it's uh, uh-everybody's dead."
Operator: "Whattaya mean, everybody's dead?"
Man: "I don't know what happened. Kid come running in the bar. He says everybody in the family was killed, and we came down here."
Operator: "Hold on a second, Sir." (Police Officer now takes over call)
Police Officer: "Hello."
Man: "Hello."
Police Officer: "What's your name?"
Man: "My name is Joe Yeswit."
Police Officer: "George Edwards?"
Man: "Joe Yeswit."
Police Officer: "How do you spell it?"
Man: "What? I just ... How many times do I have to tell you? Y-E-S-W-I-T."
Police Officer: "Where're you at?"
Man: "I'm on Ocean Avenue.
Police Officer: "What number?"
Man: "I don't have a number here. There's no number on the phone. "
Police Officer: "What number on the house?"
Man: "I don't even know that."
Police Officer: "Where're you at? Ocean Avenue and what?"
Man: "In Amityville. Call up the Amityville Police and have someone come down here. They know the family."
Police Officer: "Amityville."
Man: "Yeah. Amityville."
Police Officer: "Okay. Now, tell me what's wrong."
Man: "I don't know. Guy come running in the bar. Guy come running in the bar and said there-his mother and father are shot. We ran down to his house and everybody in the house is shot. I don't know how long, you know. So, uh . . ."
Police Officer: "Uh, what's the add ... what's the address of the house?"
Man: "Uh, hold on. Let me go look up the number. All right. Hold on."
Man: "Hello. Hello?"
Police Officer: "Yes."
Man: "One-twelve Ocean Avenue, Amityville."
Police Officer: "One-what?"
Man: "One-twelve Ocean Avenue, Amityville."
Police Officer: "Is that Amityville or North Amityville?"
Man: "Amityville. Right on ... south of Merrick Road."
Police Officer: "Is it right in the village limits?"
Man: "No, it's uh ... you know where the high school is?"
Police Officer: "Yeah."
Man: "It's in the village limits, yeah."
Police Officer: "Yeah. That's the village hmits, right?"
Man: "Yeah."
Police Officer: "Eh, okay, what's your phone number?"
Man: "I don't even have one. There's no number on the phone. "
Police Officer: "All right, where're you calhng from? Pubhc phone?"
Man: "No, I'm calling right from the house, because I don't see a number on the phone."
Police Officer: "You're at the house itself?"
Police Officer: "How many bodies are there?"
Man: "I think, uh, I don't know-uh, I think they said four."
Police Officer: "There's four?" (They hadn't found the girls, yet)
Police Officer: "Alright, you stay right there at the house, and I'll call the Amityville Village P.D., and they'll come down."
Man: "Okay."
Dave Shining
Formerly "ReignMaker"

no way!

Postby mkp58892 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:14 am

is that seriously the correct context...if it is...sweet
sorry for being

me.
mkp58892
Amityville Member

Re: no way!

Postby Dave Shining » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:15 am

mkp58892 wrote:is that seriously the correct context...if it is...sweet

i mean i think it is, i made sure by going to other sites and comparing them and they were all alike, so who knows
Dave Shining
Formerly "ReignMaker"

Postby tallman » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:19 am

its kinda funny they made him spell his name so many times.....when six people are dead.

My horror movie Forum
tallman

Postby Shawn » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:32 am

Yes, that is the real call. I remember because I could not believe how STOOOOOPID the cops on the other end were. Y-E-S-W-I-T. :roll:
Any and all comments made by the poster "Shawn" are purely his opinion and do not reflect the opinions of the board owners, administrators or moderators. Also, all postings done by the member "Shawn" are property of "Shawn" and cannot be reproduced in any way shape or form without written permission from the poster known here(@http://www.amityvillefaq.com) as "Shawn". TIA.
Shawn
Been there, Done that

Postby TannerBoyle » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:46 am

Then you obviously haven't spent much time around Law Enforcement professionals, Shawn.

When I was a Deputy, because I could add, subtract, multiply and divide...and because I knew my ABC's past F--they thought I was a genius. :roll:
TannerBoyle
**ACCOUNT ON HOLD**

Postby Shawn » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:58 am

dcburny wrote:Then you obviously haven't spent much time around Law Enforcement professionals, Shawn.

When I was a Deputy, because I could add, subtract, multiply and divide...and because I knew my ABC's past F--they thought I was a genius. :roll:

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!! :D
Any and all comments made by the poster "Shawn" are purely his opinion and do not reflect the opinions of the board owners, administrators or moderators. Also, all postings done by the member "Shawn" are property of "Shawn" and cannot be reproduced in any way shape or form without written permission from the poster known here(@http://www.amityvillefaq.com) as "Shawn". TIA.
Shawn
Been there, Done that

the real 911 call?!?

Postby Holly » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:41 pm

Hey guys. I've heard a rumor that in the beginning of the remake when they are showing the "crime scene" the 911 call you partially hear is the real thing? does anyone know anything about this?
Holly
Amityville Addict

Postby KyleWest » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:54 pm

I haven't heard anything about this, but my best guess would be that is a false rumor.

For one thing it would be in bad taste to use a real 911 call. Then again horror movies aren't known for being in 'good taste' so who knows.

Anyone out there know for sure?
KyleWest
Amityville Member

Postby Howard64 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:39 pm

well they did use part of the original news broadcast...that much i remember. I caught a glimpse of the original house.
Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

PreviousNext

Return to DeFeo Discussion