Questionable affidavits

General Discussion About the 1974 DeFeo Murders and related topics

Questionable affidavits

Postby msmart112 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:51 pm

Whenever the claim that Dawn was somehow involved in the murders is presented, it?s usually supported with an affidavit signed by William Davidge on July 24, 1990.

In this affidavit (signed almost sixteen years after the murders), Davidge claims that he was once the boyfriend of Dawn DeFeo. He then claims that Dawn wanted to move to Florida, and that she was using drugs, and also that she had a bad temper.

How this possibly equates to a motive for Dawn to slaughter her siblings is beyond me, but I thought of a few things regarding William Davidge?s affidavit.

In the late-eighties and 1990, quite a few of Ronnie?s old friends and acquaintances all of a sudden decided to sign affidavits?William Davidge, Frank Davidge, Linnea Nonnewitz, Roger Nonnewitz, Chuck Tewksbury,
Barry Springer, John Carswell, etc.

In some cases, these affidavits were used to swear that Ronnie had been indeed married to Geraldine prior to the murders (which we all know is false). In other cases, these affidavits were used to swear that William Weber instructed witnesses to hold back certain information.

Yet, on August 25, 2003, Barry Springer signed an affidavit in which he recanted several of the things that he had originally sworn to in his affidavit from October 11, 1989.

On March 30, 1990, John Carswell signed a statement in which he recanted things that he swore to in an affidavit that he had signed on July 14, 1989. He stated that his affidavit had already been prepared for him (i.e. not in his own words), and that he did NOT sign it in front of a notary.

In his 1989 affidavit, he stated that William Weber instructed him not to testify to certain things that could have helped Ronnie. He also stated that his testimony was false.

But in his 1990 statement, he stated that both 1989 claims were not true, and that he regretted making those claims in the first place.

So?if both Springer and Carswell admitted that what was in their original 1989 affidavits was false?how much stock can really be put into what William Davidge claimed in HIS 1990 affidavit?
msmart112
Amityville_Member

Postby radiomixer » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:00 am

Can the DA subpeona Davidge to update the information or claims? Is Davidge still alive? Does anyone know of his last public statements on these matters?

More importantly, why do these people get away with essentially perjuring themselves? Perjury should involve fine, time, or both ... maybe then people wouldn't be so quick to lie (and recant later)
Last edited by radiomixer on Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
radiomixer
Billy's Next Ex-Wife

Postby SilkyPup » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:06 am

So basically she was moody [what teenage girls isn't? lol] and using drugs [maybe due to what was going on at home?] and was looking to escape. Is Davidge thinking this links her to the murders??
Im not little, Im funsize!
SilkyPup
I purr when I'm happy

Postby radiomixer » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:13 am

Why is it that Davidge was the only person to ever claim Dawn planned to move? 99% of the time a gal will tell her best friend something before she'll even tell her guy!

If that isn't plain enough: I've always doubted the sincerity of Davidge's claims ...
radiomixer
Billy's Next Ex-Wife

Postby SilkyPup » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:28 am

It's possible that he was the only person she trusted. Maybe it was their little secret
Im not little, Im funsize!
SilkyPup
I purr when I'm happy

Postby Dan the Damned » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:16 am

As always, great post Max!!!
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby Delci » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:48 am

She was old enough to have moved out, anyway...

Kind of foreshadows what's going to happen, here; in one of the arguements between Ronnie and Sr.:
"If I don't get out of here, I'm gonna kill you, mom, the whole family!" - Ronnie, before the murders...
"The problems seemed to originate...and end in that house." (authenticity may be off) - Ronnie, after the murders.

Maybe Dawn wanted to get out, too...? She was old enough...
When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful, a miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical.
And all the birds in the trees, well they'd be singing so happily, joyfully, playfully watching me.
But then they send me away to teach me how to be sensible, logical, responsible, practical.
And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable, clinical, intellectual, cynical...
Delci
Amityville Addict

Postby TigresMeow » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:26 pm

I have had to sign things in front of a notary from time to time over the years and I was told by serveral notary publics that all they were notarizing was my signature....not the content of what I was signing.

I think this alone makes for some interesting thinking when someone is using notarized statements as evidence of something.

Kat
If you're gonna kick a tiger in the ass, you better have a plan to deal with it's teeth.

RIP 15

"Have the dogs stopped barking, Clarice?"
TigresMeow
Yo Adrian I luv black caulk

Postby zzvampy » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:48 pm

Affidavits are legally binding documents to the extent that they can take place of actual testimony.

But, they are limited in a sense, because they can easily be refuted by an attorney or a judge.

When people use affidavits to tell stories, they are often ineffective. For example, if an attorney or judge raises even one reasonable question about the claims in an affidavit, it?s basically rendered useless since the person making the statement is not available for questioning.
zzvampy
The Black Bralia

Postby zzvampy » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:49 pm

Bump for Quote:

Whenever the claim that Dawn was somehow involved in the murders is presented, it?s usually supported with an affidavit signed by William Davidge on July 24, 1990.

Hmmm, why 1990? Why not 1974? :wink:
zzvampy
The Black Bralia

Postby msmart112 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:27 pm

Have a look at this...this article describes an affidavit from someone who never even existed! :shock:

Newsday, December 1, 1990

A judge has granted convicted murderer Ronald DeFeo's request for a hearing to explore yet another version of the events that led to the shootings of his parents and four siblings in their Amityville home 16 years ago.

At the hearing, which will be held in State Supreme Court in Riverhead early next year, DeFeo will have the chance to subpoena a man he has said for years was with him on the day of the murders and can prove DeFeo's innocence.

But the man, Richard Romondoe, never has come forward before, and prosecutors say they are not convinced he even exists. State Supreme Court Justice Thomas M. Stark, the judge who presided over the 1975 trial, issued his ruling yesterday in response to a motion filed by DeFeo asking that his conviction be overturned based on ineffective counsel and alleged new evidence, including the potential testimony of Romondoe. In addition to ordering the hearing, Stark appointed attorney Edward F. McGuinness of Northport to represent DeFeo.

But Stark said in his seven-page memorandum that DeFeo is saddled with the burden of proof, not the prosecution. "He has to prove the latest version of this thing," Stark said. "It should be interesting when he tries to subpoena these witnesses."

At his trial in 1975, DeFeo admitted to fatally shooting his parents and siblings in their home a year earlier, but his attorney, William Weber, offered an insanity defense. DeFeo was convicted and is serving six life terms in Sullivan Correctional Facility in Fallsburg, N.Y. He lost his appeal in 1978.

The murders prompted a book and a movie, "The Amityville Horror," when later owners of the house claimed it was haunted.

In August, with the aid of a "jailhouse lawyer," DeFeo began filing legal papers in State Supreme Court in Riverhead claiming his verdict should be set aside because he received ineffective counsel and was not allowed to tell at trial what really happened to his family.

His latest claim is at least the third scenario he has painted since the day of the murders and the second since he lost his appeal. DeFeo now says that his sister, Dawn, killed the family and was shot as he wrestled the gun from her.

Prosecutors familiar with the case say his newest account is not possible. Dawn was found face down in her bed after having been shot in the back of the head.

"We are confident at the conclusion of whatever hearing ensues, the judgment of conviction will remain undisturbed and the motion denied," said Suffolk Chief Assistant District Attorney Mark Cohen, who fought the 1978 appeal.

In a typewritten affidavit filed with DeFeo's motion for a hearing, "Richard Romondoe of Great Bend, Penn.," says that he and DeFeo were in the basement of DeFeo's parents' house when they heard gunshots and ran upstairs. He said he saw Dawn with a rifle, everyone in the house was dead and he said Dawn was shot after DeFeo pushed her to the bed.

Romondoe claimed he was the one who cleaned up the crime scene and disposed of the gun, which eventually was recovered. In court papers filed this week, DeFeo claims Romondoe is living in the May Fair Motel in Port Arthur, Texas. Police in Port Arthur say that there is no such motel.

Neither Weber nor McGuinness returned telephone messages.
msmart112
Amityville_Member

Postby msmart112 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:06 pm

Here is a link to the 1990 affidavit from William Davidge for those who haven't seen it...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/msmart112/williamdavidge.jpg
msmart112
Amityville_Member

Postby zzvampy » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:19 pm

Thanks Max!

Strange though how he resides in Florida, yet this document was notarized in the state of New York!

Did he actually travel to New York or was this similar to Geraldine's notarized documents? You know, the kind that are just passed from one person to another without any sort of solid evidence of the person actually EXISTING ?

I also find it rather odd that Dawn's best friend Grace Fagen has never really made mention of this supposed boyfriend of Dawn's.

Hmmm. :?:
zzvampy
The Black Bralia

Postby msmart112 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:09 pm

You are more than welcome ZZ!

I also found it odd that William would have traveled all the way back to New York to sign an affidavit. I mean?why didn?t he just prepare the affidavit in his own words in FLORIDA?sign it?have it notarized?and then mail it to Geraldine?

Hmmm?maybe because it was already prepared FOR him?and NEVER officially notarized? Just a thought.

Here are links to three images regarding the affidavit that John Carswell signed for Ronnie. As you?ll see?Mr. Carswell originally signed an affidavit on July 14th, 1989?but then retracted his affidavit on March 30th, 1990!

Oh?and since our friend Michael has mocked me for cropping documents?these are all in their original format?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/msmart112/carswell.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/msmart112/carswell2.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/msmart112/carswell3.jpg

...as you'll see...John Carswell admits to signing an affidavit that was ALREADY prepared for him...and he also admits that he did NOT swear to it (i.e. sign it in front of a notary).

Imagine that! :wink:
msmart112
Amityville_Member

Postby radiomixer » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:57 am

A small point, I admit, but has anyone ever tried to locate/verify the notary public who supposedly witnessed Davidge's signature? Might be interesting to know who that notary public worked for ...

Might be worth looking into whoever supposedly notarized Romondoe's statements as well, for that matter.
radiomixer
Billy's Next Ex-Wife

Postby msmart112 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:00 pm

persephone wrote:Might be worth looking into whoever supposedly notarized Romondoe's statements as well, for that matter.

Here you go Becky...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/msmart112/brink1.jpg

...this is from the Suffolk County District Attorney's office...and was part of a document that was submitted in regard to Ronnie's 440 motion.
msmart112
Amityville_Member

Postby radiomixer » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:25 pm

msmart112 wrote:
persephone wrote:Might be worth looking into whoever supposedly notarized Romondoe's statements as well, for that matter.

Here you go Becky...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/msmart112/brink1.jpg

...this is from the Suffolk County District Attorney's office...and was part of a document that was submitted in regard to Ronnie's 440 motion.

Thank you Max!

OK, so Romondoe doesn't even exist! And frankly I find the Davidge papers/claims to be fishy as well. My own vibes say it, and posts in this section seem to support that feeling more and more.

Does anyone here know TL Defeo's stance on this -- does she claim Romondoe is real? I'm a bit skeptical now that she told me Judge Stark was dead ... (thanks to you guys I found out the man's very much alive)!

Lastly, are these very *dubious* documents posted on TL Defeo's website "The Night Exposed" as 'support' to her husband's far-fetched claim that Dawn supposedly assisted in the Defeo murders?
radiomixer
Billy's Next Ex-Wife

Postby msmart112 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:46 pm

Here is the affidavit by the fictional Richard Romondoe...Ronnie's infamous brother-in-law who never existed...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/msmart112/richard1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/msmart112/richard2.jpg

So Ronnie has lied about his "wife" (Geraldine), and Ronnie has lied about his "brother-in-law" (Richard). Hmmm...I wonder what else Ronnie has lied about?
msmart112
Amityville_Member

Postby Dan the Damned » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:53 pm

...perhaps the "theft" of $19,000 in cash and checks from his grandfather's car dealership? :roll:
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby t00nCiNaToR? » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:19 am

msmart112 wrote:So Ronnie has lied about his "wife" (Geraldine), and Ronnie has lied about his "brother-in-law" (Richard). Hmmm...I wonder what else Ronnie has lied about?

NOTHING!! Don't blame poor Butchie, he's the real victim, now let's all go sign that petition and get him outta' jail so he can move in with his sweety and her children... hope they don't have any large life insurance policies or she may find Butchie up to his old tricks again one night... ;)
"It happened so quick. I mean, it was boom, boom, boom. From the first killing to the last, it never took any longer than seven seconds, it would be alot, that would have been alot. Seven seconds." - Ronald J. DeFeo Jr.
t00nCiNaToR?
Amityville Superdude

Postby dalnkel » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:25 am

that is why i wouldnt marry someone like him i would be scared to go to sleep at night thats if he was let out.
dalnkel
Amityville Addict

Next

Return to DeFeo Discussion