Diane Ireland

General Discussion About the 1974 DeFeo Murders and related topics

Diane Ireland

Postby Secrets » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:01 pm

She was the next door neighbour to the DeFeos, and claims that she heard gunshots the night Ronnie killed his family (i should add that the guys that made the Histories Mysteries documentary in 1999 really didnt believe her). Well i dont know if i do either... Back then, i believe she said she was in the bed, next to her husband, when she heard the gunshots. Well, now, it seems that she was on the backporch with her lover in the middle of the night (her husband sleeping upstairs). This has come up on Traceys site.

I want to add what Laura Didio has told about the Irelands; when they all were about to leave after the Warrens investigation (about 4.30 in the morning), the Irelands came home, and instantly began to act hostile (especially Diane). They yelled at the soundguy to remove his equipment from their driveway (it stood about 2 feet into), and apparently called the cops. Diane then came out, started walking up and down the driveway yelling; juhu - Ronnie! Wanna come out and play gun?

Oh my! :shock:

Now why didnt any of the other neighbours hear anything? Both Joel Martin and the Histories Mysteries guys interviewed many in the neighbourhood, and no one heard anything but the dog crying around 3.15. Even kids that Joel Martin interviewed confirmed this, and im shure that they didnt have any reason to lie...
Secrets
Do Angels Talk?

Re: Diane Ireland

Postby TIA » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:05 pm

Secrets wrote:
Now why didnt any of the other neighbours hear anything?

The police thought that the acoustics of the house may have deadened the sound of the gunshots. In addition, it's likely that most neighbours were fast asleep, and as it was November, their doors and windows are likely to have been shut. So even given the sound of a loud rifle, it's perhaps not that surprising no one heard anything.

Others have suggested there may be a paranormal explanation, that whatever was happening stopped the sounds of the gunshots being heard. I hope someone else can explain that better than I can. :D
Last edited by TIA on Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Occam's razor is lodged in my brain. Ouch.
TIA
Amityville Addict

Postby Secrets » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:31 pm

Yeah, its possible that the acoustics in the house muffled the sound a bit, but Ronnie said the shots were thunderous, and that his ears were ringing afterwards. I cant really understand how the house could dampen the sound that much? It was deadly quiet (in the middle of the night), and it is a fact that the dog was heard sobbing, so we know that at least some of the neighbours were awake at the time...

George has in fact told about a "deadening of sound" in the house. When they first moved in, they would hear traffic and outside sounds, but after a while, this stopped. He could go into the livingroom or sunroom, and nothing was heard from the outside - cars would drive past without a sound. If the house stopped outside sounds from coming in, maybe the opposite could happen too?
Secrets
Do Angels Talk?

Postby TIA » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:43 pm

Secrets wrote:Yeah, its possible that the acoustics in the house muffled the sound a bit, but Ronnie said the shots were thunderous, and that his ears were ringing afterwards. I cant really understand how the house could dampen the sound that much? It was deadly quiet (in the middle of the night), and it is a fact that the dog was heard sobbing, so we know that at least some of the neighbours were awake at the time...

I believe the witness who heard the dog was a young boy. The sounds the dog was making could have muffled the shots further. The gunshots would be loud to the person doing the shooting, but not necessarily to someone in another building.

Secrets wrote:George has in fact told about a "deadening of sound" in the house. When they first moved in, they would hear traffic and outside sounds, but after a while, this stopped. He could go into the livingroom or sunroom, and nothing was heard from the outside - cars would drive past without a sound. If the house stopped outside sounds from coming in, maybe the opposite could happen too?

Yes, this could be to do with acoustics within the house, and it could also relate to a paranormal explanation (I really wish I could either find or remember some of the stuff I read on that.:roll:)
Last edited by TIA on Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TIA
Amityville Addict

Postby tragicimp » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:21 pm

Former Deputy Head of New Scotland Yard's Forensic Firearms Laboratory, Brian J. Heard, who has over 35 years experience in ballistics said, "the rifle used was designed for deer or black bear hunting, it had a six round tubular magazine which meant he had to reload at least once. It fires a projectile of 200 grains with a velocity of about 2100 feet per second with a kinetic energy of about 1970 ft lbs. This is an extremely noisy combination and if fired in a house would result in probable hearing loss for anyone in close proximity. An effective silencer could have been fitted considerably reducing the noise of the discharge but as the bullet is still traveling well above the speed of sound the noise of the bullet breaking the sound barrier would still be extremely noisy, well above that caused by a car back firing as a benchmark".

Investigators were also amazed neighbors in houses 40 odd feet away from 'High Hopes' heard nothing, however when they were assured by police that the murders weren't Mafia related they told them that they had heard gunshots that fateful night but never reported them knowing the family had underworld connections and were frightened of mob reprisals. They also reported the family dog 'Shaggy' barked and howled mournfully, tied up outside the animal grasped the fate which was befalling its family inside.

Apparently the neighbors came forth after they were assured that the murders weren't mafia related....what i want to know is why were the neighbors told that the murders weren't mob related? don't the authorities try to keep that sort of information underwraps until the case is solved?

All info curtosey of:
http://www.castleofspirits.com/amitycultural.html
tragicimp
Punk in Drublic

Postby Secrets » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:22 pm

Yes, the guys behind the documentaries interviewed the boy (now an adult) - he was a friend of the DeFeo boys back then, and actually named his own son John Matthew! Unfortunately, i dont think they could use the footage or something (the same with Diane Ireland). Anyway, he told the same story as then - no shots, and the dog was just sobbing a little around 3.15 (not barking). Now, i am not sure about this (its been a long time since i heard the interviews), but i think that there were reports of others hearing the dog too.

I remember Hans Holzer talking about a "psychic field" dampening the sound, and that this was reported from other cases too. He may be off on many things :lol: , but that sounds very interesting. If the sound really changed as George described it, i guess it must have been something paranormal going on...
Secrets
Do Angels Talk?

Postby TIA » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:26 pm

tragicimp wrote:
....what i want to know is why were the neighbors told that the murders weren't mob related? don't the authorities try to keep that sort of information underwraps until the case is solved?

By the next day Butch Defeo had confessed and been charged. I think it must have been pretty apparent by then this wasn't a mob killing.
TIA
Amityville Addict

Postby tragicimp » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:31 pm

TIA wrote:
tragicimp wrote:
....what i want to know is why were the neighbors told that the murders weren't mob related? don't the authorities try to keep that sort of information underwraps until the case is solved?

By the next day Butch Defeo had confessed and been charged. I think it must have been pretty apparent by then this wasn't a mob killing.

heh, whoops....forgot about that...blonde moment!! :oops: gotta love 'em....
tragicimp
Punk in Drublic

Postby Secrets » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:38 pm

I believe Joel Martin actually said that the story about neighbours coming forth was untrue (just another rumour), but i have to check the interview to be sure... The guys that made the documentaries found no proof of this either - they said that the only one to this day that reported hearing any shots was Diane Ireland. But who knows...
Secrets
Do Angels Talk?

Postby tragicimp » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:48 pm

who's Joel Martin? :?:
tragicimp
Punk in Drublic

Postby TIA » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:58 pm

Coincidently enough, I'm watching a documentary at the moment which Joel Martin is featured in. They describe him as an author and paranormal expert. As this is an Amityville documentary, it's probably the same person.

Unfortunately he says that none of the family woke up during the murders. That's incorrect. Allison Defeo was awake and looking at her killer as she was shot. The mother was slightly raised and turning when she was shot. I think it's likely that the other children were awake when their brother murdered them.

Edit: Joel Martin also appears to have written the introduction to Kaplan's book 'The Amityville Horror Conspiracy.' http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0963749803.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
I don't have the book, so I have no idea what he says in the introduction.
Last edited by TIA on Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TIA
Amityville Addict

Postby TIA » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:24 pm

tragicimp wrote:heh, whoops....forgot about that...blonde moment!! :oops: gotta love 'em....

Yep. I spelled 'acoustic' wrong every time in this thread. I know my spelling sucks, but this is getting ridiculous.

*wanders off to edit posts and dye her hair*
TIA
Amityville Addict

Postby Littlelukey » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:27 am

TIA wrote:Coincidently enough, I'm watching a documentary at the moment which Joel Martin is featured in. They describe him as an author and paranormal expert. As this is an Amityville documentary, it's probably the same person.

Unfortunately he says that none of the family woke up during the murders. That's incorrect. Allison Defeo was awake and looking at her killer as she was shot. The mother was slightly raised and turning when she was shot. I think it's likely that the other children were awake when their brother murdered them.

Edit: Joel Martin also appears to have written the introduction to Kaplan's book 'The Amityville Horror Conspiracy.' http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0963749803.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
I don't have the book, so I have no idea what he says in the introduction

Are you refering to DAWN DEFEO there was no allison !
Littlelukey
These Things Have Always Puzzled Me

Postby KevinW » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:54 am

Are you refering to DAWN DEFEO there was no allison !

What? Where did you hear that?

Kevin
http://chatanuga.org/Amityville.html
KevinW
Amityville Maniac

Postby BillyCigars » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:30 am

there was no allison !

There most certainly WAS an Allison DeFeo....

"The old man's still an artist with a Thompson."
BillyCigars
American Psycho

Postby TIA » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:13 am

The information about Allison Defeo and her mother comes from the book 'High Hopes' by Gerard Sullivan, who was the prosecuting attorney in the murder trial. Allison was Dawn's younger sister.
I think the character of Jodie Defeo, who never existed but is in the new remake, is confusing things.
:(
TIA
Amityville Addict

Postby Littlelukey » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:59 pm

TIA wrote:The information about Allison Defeo and her mother comes from the book 'High Hopes' by Gerard Sullivan, who was the prosecuting attorney in the murder trial. Allison was Dawn's younger sister.
I think the character of Jodie Defeo, who never existed but is in the new remake, is confusing things.
:(

Sorry my bad I keep getting confused with people saying that JODIE was the ghost of Alison Defeo and that's what I meant to say. That is just fiction for the remake and refering to a dead little girl as a ghost PIG is a little off!
Littlelukey
These Things Have Always Puzzled Me

Postby TIA » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:39 am

Joel Martin was also apparently the first repoter on the scene at the Defeo murders, and was interviewed by Lou Gentile when he was doing Amityville specials.
TIA
Amityville Addict

Return to DeFeo Discussion