2009 parole hearing transcripts

General Discussion About the 1974 DeFeo Murders and related topics

2009 parole hearing transcripts

Postby Dan the Damned » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:29 pm

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby GoonieNick » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:47 pm

Thank you Dan for posting this.

I found it interesting that he said Butch said his mother was shot twice.

What is the verdict on this?

Other than that there doesn't seem that much new info. He seems to have added on a bit more of the soap opera when he discusses the organized crime in terms of paying off the precinct members.

I wonder if any of this new insight will appear in the media venue in terms of the Katz Osuna film or Tracey/Morris' novel.
GoonieNick
Amityville Addict

Postby Jetstar3D » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:58 pm

Ch ch ch ch changes.... Oh Ronnie :roll:
Jetstar3D
Shiner

Postby Dan the Damned » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:09 pm

Ronnie has come up with a totally new story. In this year's version, Ronnie was forced to kill his father because his father and grandfather had put a contract out on him -- they were going to have Ronnie killed on the day after Thanksgiving (I'm guessing that way they'd have more turkey leftovers to go around).

As for the handgun and Dawn shooting Louise, Ronnie has made a critical error here. He is going by the mistaken opinion of others in regards to the damaged bullet which struck Louise (the mother). The ballistics report says this bullet (item #33 below) was too damaged to ascertain whether or not it came from the same .35 Marlin as the other bullets.

Some make the mistake of seeing this and thinking "that means this bullet could have come from a different type of gun," but that's not the case. They clearly state that all the bullets came from a .35 Marlin -- it's just that with this one bullet, they couldn't prove it came from the same .35 Marlin rifle as all the others.

So no -- none of the DeFeos were shot with a handgun. They were ALL shot with a .35 Marlin rifle. Looks like Ronnie made the mistake of trying to make something out of Rick Moran's silly theories...
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby Link the Labrador » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:11 am

*Snuggles into comfty chair to read this*

Heh, just as I suspected. Now Ronnie's making this big scheme that he and Dawn were forced into this mafia-type gang and his dad and granddad were gonna kill him. (interestingly, he doesn't explain WHY the dad and granddad would want to kill him besides the cliched "He knows too much.")

Still blaming Dawn for the murders of the children, I see.

And this time, he has Allison waking up and inquiring as to what's going on.

And a handgun? Where did Dawn get that?

Also, I noticed he's harping on the old haunting story when he mentions the "lights on at the same time" and the sounds of music in the house like a party was happeniing.

Don't mean to sound like a Grammar-Nazi here, but did anyone else get irked when they read the part where he said "Don't do nothing, don't do nothing." Apparently he didn't pay attention in his English classes. :roll:

EDIT: I'm a bit confused when he mentioned that Dawn was big and that everyone was into Bruce Lee. What is he talking about here?

EDIT II: Love how he's contradicting himself. First he says he's shooting his mother, then he says Dawn's doing it.

EDIT III: Wow, he says Dawn was 19? Hmmm...*googles Dawn DeFeo* Wrong again, Butchie. She was 18 years old.
Link the Labrador
The Lab from Amityville

Postby sherbetbizarre » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:13 am

GoonieNick wrote:I found it interesting that he said Butch said his mother was shot twice.

What is the verdict on this?

She was shot twice - but as Dan pointed out, one bullet could not be determined as coming from the same rifle (but in all likelyhood, it probably did)

Link the Labrador wrote:Also, I noticed he's harping on the old haunting story when he mentions the "lights on at the same time" and the sounds of music in the house like a party was happeniing.

Don't think he's alluding to the haunting here. More likely Dawn was having some sort of drugged-out post-murder party.

But like his Bruce Lee quote, there's no time for him to explain himself!
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby Link the Labrador » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:00 am

This was one of the most interesting things I've read. It's clear now that Butch is desperate, much more than he had ever been before.

I find it amazing how he is so assumptious to believe that the carpenter union still has his name and would be more than willing to take him back in and how he speaks of his dead grandmother as if she were a vault filled with wads of cash.
Link the Labrador
The Lab from Amityville

Postby msmart112 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:19 am

Thanks Dan for obtaining, scanning, and posting these!

From the 2007 parole hearing…

Ronnie: There’s been a lot of lying going on for the past 33 years. I think it’s time to come to an end.

Commissioner Thompson: Is it a possibility you could have flipped out and killed them all?

Ronnie: Yes, that’s what I’m trying to tell you. I mean I have been lying to myself for 33 years.

…make that 35 years. :wink:

Some of the more amusing lines…

Ronnie DeFeo wrote:I was forced to work in a Buick dealership. I had a really good job. I was in the carpenter’s union. They took me out of there. They made me work for them.

From High Hopes…

"That same year, 1970, Butch helped a building contractor put in a raised patio and a finished basement at the DeFeo home. The contractor took Ronnie on other jobs, employing him as a helper for about five weeks. The contractor was pleased with DeFeo’s work, but had to lay him off when jobs became scarce. After that, DeFeo went to work at the family car agency, living on the eighty dollars a week salary and his father’s largess."

Ronnie DeFeo wrote:She was giving me a physical beating. I mean, I was getting beat down.
:lol:
msmart112
Amityville_Member

Postby Howard64 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:23 am

i can only shake my head and think...this is sad
" A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of
the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Postby GoonieNick » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:25 am

Well at least Ronnie has another 24 months to come up with a different story. :)
GoonieNick
Amityville Addict

Postby Howard64 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:17 am

he isnt getting out
" A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of
Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Postby Link the Labrador » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:35 am

But it's hilarious to see Butch make a fool of himself over and over again. XD I mean "organized crime"? What's next?
Link the Labrador
The Lab from Amityville

Postby Dan the Damned » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:38 am

Link the Labrador wrote:I'm a bit confused when he mentioned that Dawn was big and that everyone was into Bruce Lee. What is he talking about here?

Maybe he's insinuating that Dawn could handle herself not only because she was "big," but also by the martial arts moves she learned watching Bruce Lee movies?

Link the Labrador wrote:It's clear now that Butch is desperate, much more than he had ever been before.

It almost seems like Ronnie knows he has nothing to lose, so he just makes up a new story with each hearing. Kinda like a Book of the Month Club. I'd love it if next year the parole board started off by saying, "Okay Ronnie, what have you come up with this time?"

This year, it seems he might have been trying to blend aspects of Rick Moran's theories into his story (the DEA agent watching the house, the "mystery" over the damaged bullet, Dawn being responsible for killing the kids). In the past, Tracey has mentioned on her board how she liked Moran's theories, and on Moran's ASUP site he mentions how Tracey has contacted him, suggesting that he pen a book about the murders (undoubtedly with the misguided thought that such a book might help with a future parole attempt). Moran refused.

Moran also noted that in 2007 Tracey conveyed a message from Ronnie, telling Moran that he is "the only person who got the murder story right."

During this hearing, Ronnie doesn't mention the DEA car watching the house that night, but he leads us there by saying the family was under surveillence. That's clever. That makes us feel clever for then making the connection to Moran's DEA story, leaving Ronnie to feign surprise. "The DEA admits they were watching my house that night? Wow! I didn't know that!"

That was the first time (to my knowledge) that Ronnie mentioned his family being watched by the Feds, and I believe it's the first time he's mentioned the "damaged bullet." But if Ronnie claims that Moran got the story right, why is Ronnie saying the handgun was used on Louise when Moran claims the handgun was used on Dawn? A bit of a mixup in the story, there.

But in the end I guess it does not matter, as the police lab report confirms that the damaged bullet came not from a handgun, but from a .35 Marlin rifle, just like all the other bullets used that night.

And if Moran's version is correct (as Ronnie supposedly stated), then why does it not match in the following areas:

--Rick claims that Dawn killed everyone while Ronnie was stoned, watching TV; but Ronnie is claiming that he shot his parents with Dawn by his side.

--Rick claims Ronnie never left the house that night until it was time to go to work; but Ronnie claims he did leave to give ill-gotten money to a friend (while Dawn killed the kids), which goes against what the DEA agent supposedly witnessed.

--Rick claims Dawn threw the rifle into the bay; but Ronnie claims he shot Dawn with that very rifle, which goes against what the DEA agent supposedly witnessed.

--Rick claims Ronnie shot Dawn with his handgun; but Ronnie claims he shot Dawn with the rifle, which goes against what the DEA agent supposedly witnessed.

Obviously Ronnie told Moran that he got the story right because in Moran's version Ronnie only kills his sister -- and that is in self-defense. Maybe in a future hearing we'll hear Ronnie stick with Moran's theory verbatim (despite the police evidence proving Moran's theory is a load of crap -- for detailed evidence on that, read my article on Moran over on amityvillefiles.com).

So Dawn wants her parents dead because they were forcing her to become a stenographer? WTF? Aside from that being the least-plausible motive I've ever heard, surely Dawn could simply move out and live on her own and do whatever she wanted -- especially if she was that upset over it...

So Ronnie's grandfather could protect the family everywhere except Suffolk County? Then why did the family buy a house in Suffolk County?

So Ronnie's father and grandfather put out a contract on his life? Even supposing they wanted Ronnie dead, why bother putting out a contract on him, getting yet another party needlessly involved? They could take Ronnie out for a fishing trip (shooting him and dumping him over) or on a hunting trip (and make it look like he was shot by accident). Why plan it out in advance and risk Ronnie learning about it while he sleeps under the same roof in a bedroom filled with guns? And why wait until the day after Thanksgiving? So he could have a nice final meal?

And why does Ronnie say his grand larceny was for alcohol when it was over the stolen boat motor? Wouldn't this be easy for the parole board to check up on and see it was a blatant lie? Strange...
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby Link the Labrador » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:44 am

I agree with what Dan is saying.

Even if Dawn couldn't leave the house (some parents are that controlling, not that I'm saying Mr. and Mrs. Defeo were), I doubt her parents not letting her do what she wants with her life is enough to kill them. Maybe hate them forever, but not take a gun to them at night.

Plus, the whole contract thing's a bit iffy. What motive would Mr. DeFeo and Grandfather DeFeo have for killing Ronnie? Why would they do such a thing? If Mr. DeFeo really wanted to kill Ronnie, I think he had numerous chances to do it and make it look like an accident. No need for long planning. Just one day go up to him and say "Hey, Butch, my grown son! Want to go hunting and put your shooting skills to the test?"

Dawn doing kun-fu? Well, I play medieval fantasy games, but no way in hell am I efficent with a sword, much less able to use it to fight for my life. Even if she were a big fan of Bruce Lee, I doubt she'd be able do kun-fu very well.
Link the Labrador
The Lab from Amityville

Postby Howard64 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:19 pm

its all road apples...all of it.

Tracey made her choice to marry this turd, she can have him.

birds of a feather if you ask me:)
Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Postby GoonieNick » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:43 pm

Maybe in 24 months Ronnie will come up with something that there his Dad and Grandfather had a contract out to kill him because Butch got high and took the Ketcham skeleton to the Witch's Brew on Halloween instead of selling it for top dollar to the Amityville Historical Society! :roll:
GoonieNick
Amityville Addict

Postby Dan the Damned » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:09 pm

I wouldn't put it past him, Nick.

Maybe one day he'll say he was possessed. I'm kinda surprised he hasn't gone with that one yet -- for just like with Moran's version, Ronnie would be innocent -- possession would mean Ronnie was "forced" to kill. Then he can go through some phony prison exorcism ceremony.

"Okay guys, the demons have left me. Can I go home now?"
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby Chichibcc » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:15 pm

Dan the Damned wrote:Maybe one day he'll say he was possessed. I'm kinda surprised he hasn't gone with that one yet

Me, too....I figured he had by now.
Actions speak louder than words....
Chichibcc
Cat Avatar Lover

Postby TigresMeow » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:23 pm

Good grief. I wonder if the parole board has a good laugh after Ronnie leaves the room.
If you're gonna kick a tiger in the ass, you better have a plan to deal with it's teeth.

RIP 15

"Have the dogs stopped barking, Clarice?"
TigresMeow
Yo Adrian I luv black caulk

Postby Howard64 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:24 pm

and a cold beer or two...
Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Postby GoonieNick » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:52 pm

I don't know but when I hear Ronnie give interviews it is almost like the same feeling I get from watching One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest. It is both sad and funny at the same time. Ronnie's discussions often leave the listener to walk a fine line in believing:

1. This guy is absolutely insane and it's a shame because he has some clear mental illness.

2. The guy is just a complete self centered person who only cares for himself and nobody else.

At least that's how I view it. Maybe he is a textbook example of someone who is really on that fine line of someone who is either clinically insane or just below that being legally classified as antisocial personality disorder, but Ronnie is most likely on the very extreme side of the latter.
GoonieNick
Amityville Addict

Next

Return to DeFeo Discussion