The Jeremy Bamber thread

General Discussion About the 1974 DeFeo Murders and related topics
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

The Jeremy Bamber thread

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:18 am

The Jeremy Bamber case in the UK is in some ways very much like DeFeo's...
Jeremy Bamber was jailed for life in 1986 for shooting dead his adoptive family - Neville and June Bamber, his sister Sheila and her twin sons Daniel and Nicholas at his parents' home at White House Farm, Tolleshunt D'Arcy, Essex, on August 7 1985
He's been mentioned before on the Killing Mum and Dad thread:
sherbetbizarre » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:48 am

Check out the Jeremy Bamber episode on Friday - that case has a LOT of similarities to DeFeo's...

He pretended he found them dead...

Blamed his dead sister...

LauraJane » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:29 am

Oh yeah, I am watching that Sherb. The conincidences are actualy quite amazing to the Defeo's.

1 - Jeremy Bamber, know drug taker

2- Murdered his family and later claimed it was his mentally unstable sister.

3 - Has been known to (unofficialy) change his story to try and get parole.

4- Two strict parents, one of them (the mother this time) religiously obsessed.

5- Both brother and sister overly indulged and spoilt.

Perhaps it's the English version of Amityville!

by ZodiacMinnow » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:54 pm

And another similarity:

An Official Website - http://www.jeremybamber.com/

by dalnkel » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:00 pm

have you read the web site it said he was at the police station when the killings took place so why did he get blamed for it wierd this is the new evidence

LauraJane » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:52 pm

I have to admit I don't know much about the case, however, what I do know is that a silencer was used that night. It had the sister Sheila's blood on it. Now how could she of shot herself and then replaced the silencer.

Like I said though, I don't really know too much about it. I guess all will be revealed on Friday night!
Today he is back in the news:
The Jeremy Bamber Files: Exclusive audio extracts of the convicted killer discussing his case
By Jon Clements, Crime Correspondent 31/01/2011

Jeremy Bamber has protested his innocence since he was jailed for life 25 years ago for shooting dead his parents, sister and her twin sons.

Today the Criminal Cases Review Commission is expected to decide if he should get a third appeal against his conviction for the White House Farm murders.

In four exclusive clips, Bamber describes the night of the murders and crucial pieces of evidence he claims his lawyers have undermined.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie ... -22887323/

Here's a bizarre "7th Body" style twist...
Jeremy Bamber: Police used my family's corpses as props
by Jon Clements, Crime correspondent 31/01/2011

Murderer Jeremy Bamber has accused police of using his family’s bodies as “props” in a secret training exercise hours after they were found shot.

He has discovered armed officers had already secured the scene when another team of marksmen entered the farmhouse where the corpses of his parents, sister and nephews lay.

The police papers from 1985 say their role there was for “informatives”, which basically means training.

But Bamber claims the eight-man rookie unit trampled over the crime scene – and argues it supports his case he is innocent.

The fresh evidence comes as the Criminal Cases Review Commission meets today to decide if he should get a final appeal 25 years after he was jailed for life.

In a letter to the Mirror, Bamber, 50, said: “It is just too awful to think senior police management sanctioned the training of other firearms officers using my dear old mum and dad and Sheila as props in their informatives.

“There is no way I could have been prosecuted had police admitted carrying out training exercises in the house before, during and after crime scene photos were taken. It’s not like me to cry very much but I can’t seem to stop myself.”

Bamber has been researching over 100,000 documents about his case in his cell in HMP Full Sutton.
More at http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie ... -22887475/

Even more at http://www.mirror.co.uk/topics/jeremy-bamber/

Including Timeline: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie ... -22882604/

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Re: The Jeremy Bamber thread

Post by Rokiisun » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:45 pm

Those were my exact thoughts when I clicked on the link to this story on the skynews website.
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

Shawn
Been there, Done that

Post by Shawn » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:19 pm

This is interesting:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2 ... l&viewas=0

sherb, do you know if that killing mum and dad episode is on utube?

Edit:
This is the google search page that i got. Can someone help me search for more info?

http://www.google.com/search?q=Jeremy+B ... d84f286047
Any and all comments made by the poster "Shawn" are purely his opinion and do not reflect the opinions of the board owners, administrators or moderators. Also, all postings done by the member "Shawn" are property of "Shawn" and cannot be reproduced in any way shape or form without written permission from the poster known here(@http://www.amityvillefaq.com) as "Shawn". TIA.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:34 pm

Shawn wrote:sherb, do you know if that killing mum and dad episode is on utube?
I couldn't see any episodes when I looked earlier...

Trakehner
Amityville Member

Post by Trakehner » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:06 am

This is another case apart from the DeFeo's that I am really interested in.

I only live a few miles from Whitehouse Farm where the murders took place.

I have read a few books and other bits about the case and have my opinions. Will be interesting to see what happens.
A skeptic is someone who hasn't had an experience yet
-- Jason Hawes

csullivan
Amityville Maniac

Post by csullivan » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:30 am

Shawn wrote:This is interesting:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2 ... l&viewas=0

sherb, do you know if that killing mum and dad episode is on utube?

Edit:
This is the google search page that i got. Can someone help me search for more info?

http://www.google.com/search?q=Jeremy+B ... d84f286047
i found this on you tube...not sure if this is what you are looking for

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:25 am

Is Jeremy Bamber innocent?
Jeremy Bamber was convicted of killing five members of his family in 1985 and is one of only 38 prisoners serving a whole-life sentence. But does new evidence show he didn't do it?

Jeremy Bamber is thinking about how he has maintained his sanity over 25 years in prison. His answer is quietly shocking. He walks and talks with his family – his mother, his sister, her twin sons and particularly his father. In short, he gets solace from the memory of the very family he was convicted of slaying 26 years ago. "In my mind, I walk with my Dad more than anybody on a daily basis and think, how would he cope with it, what would he think about it all?" He comes to a stuttering stop. You can hear the pain in his voice. "How I cope is quite an emotional thing for me to talk about."

Bamber is one of only 38 prisoners in England and Wales serving a whole-life sentence, and the only one of them to protest his innocence. The list is as chilling as it is exclusive – Bamber is in the company of Rose West, Dennis Nilsen, Peter Sutcliffe and Ian Brady. The judge at his trial described him as "warped and evil beyond belief". If he committed the crimes he has been convicted of, he deserves his notoriety.

Yet Bamber has always protested his innocence. The Guardian has corresponded with him over five years, during which time dozens of letters have been exchanged. His are written in block capitals, breathless in their intensity, polite, largely impersonal and almost wholly concerned with the evidence. They are not a light read. He expects those interested in his case to be as well drilled in the minutiae as he is. If Bamber is telling the truth, he is a victim of one of Britain's worst miscarriages of justice.
Full story at
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/feb/1 ... der-appeal

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:30 am

Jeremy Bamber loses attempt to appeal
Essex man convicted of killing family in 1985 vows to keep fighting after commission decides not to refer case for appeal

Jeremy Bamber, who was convicted of killing five members of his family in 1985, has lost his latest attempt to prove his innocence.

A panel from the Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC) has made a provisional decision not to refer his case back to the court of appeal. However, the Guardian has learned that his lawyers plan to challenge the decision.

In January last year, Bamber's legal team submitted a lengthy dossier to the CCRC outlining what they said were massive flaws in the crown's case against Bamber. The new evidence included a report from a photographic expert which claimed that scratch marks, allegedly made by a silencer attached to the rifle used to kill the family, were made weeks after the deaths, contrary to the evidence presented to the jury.

Other evidence in the dossier presented their argument that Bamber's sister, Sheila, had killed her stepmother and father and her six-year old twin boys, before shooting herself.

Bamber's lawyer, Barry Woods, said the evidence submitted to the CCRC was compelling. "We have spent four years gathering this evidence, which clearly points to a gross miscarriage of justice. We will be seeking a judicial review of their decision," he said.

Bamber told a member of his campaign team, who passed the comments on to the Guardian, that he was "totally stunned".

He said: "I will study the reasons the CCRC have given for not referring and will be speaking to my lawyer with a view to mounting a legal challenge to their decision. We have given the CCRC a mountain of evidence pointing to my innocence and they have rejected it.

"The truth is out, but I remain a prisoner. We are not going to stop fighting and I will be free one day."

The former Conservative MP Andrew Hunter, who took up Bamber's case in parliament and now acts as a spokesman for him, said he was "profoundly disappointed and very greatly surprised".

"I think that the CCRC will come in for some very negative criticism for this decision. There have been so many disappointments over the years that we were not taking anything for granted, but we really did hope this time it would be different. We have the evidence to acquit Jeremy. It's a disastrous decision."
More at:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/feb/1 ... nce-appeal

FoxyJ
Amityville Addict

Post by FoxyJ » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:23 pm

The similarities between the very sad Bamber case and that of the DeFeo family are uncanny indeed. I've always considered the original verdict to be 'safe' unless I can believe the police had some reason to 'fit JB up' but why on earth would they? JB did himself no favours by behaving as he did after the death of his family - parties, spending sprees etc., are not conducive to winning the support of the remaining family members, neither was trying to sell dodgy photos of his sister to the press. I did see a couple of the photographs that were to be part of his Appeal evidence, one showing a rifle leaning against a window that was gone in a second photo; from what I could see, they were different windows entirely. However, JB does seem to have a large number of supporters in the UK of which, to date, I am not one. If the day comes that he walks from prison an innocent man, I shall eat my hat. :)

Fox
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/Foxy9212/miscellaneous%20Photos/coffee.gif[/img]

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:41 am

Ronnie needs a new PR man...
Prisons minister Crispin Blunt has caused outrage by helping one of Britain’s most notorious murderers to give media interviews.

Jeremy Bamber was described as ‘evil, almost beyond belief’ by a judge when he was convicted of killing five members of his adoptive family – his parents, sister Sheila ‘Bambi’ Caffell, and her six year-old twins – in 1985.

But the gaffe-prone minister gave the green light for Bamber to give a self-justifying interview with a glossy magazine in which he accused his grieving cousins of setting him up as the fall guy.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1UtbMIFqC

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:33 pm

Gun experts raise doubts over Jeremy Bamber murder verdict

New review of ballistics evidence 'shakes safety of convictions' in 1986 Essex killings

Some of the world's most eminent ballistics experts have uncovered "the first evidence directly pointing to the innocence of Jeremy Bamber", convicted of a notorious multiple murder 27 years ago.

Bamber was found guilty in October 1986 of shooting his adoptive parents, June and Nevill, his sister Sheila Caffell and her six-year-old twins, Daniel and Nicholas, at their Essex farmhouse. He has consistently maintained his innocence, although his last attempt to win freedom was rejected by the Criminal Cases Review Commission 12 months ago. However, a new legal team has submitted evidence to the commission, the authority that investigates miscarriages of justice, claiming to have unearthed evidence that "shakes the safety of Bamber's convictions to their core".

Detailed reports, compiled by British and US medical and ballistics analysts, corroborate the initial police view that Bamber's schizophrenic sister Sheila Caffell committed the White House Farm murders in 1985. During the immediate aftermath of the killings on 7 August, detectives and the pathologist thought Caffell, 28, had murdered her parents and sons before turning the gun on herself.

Yet the theory was cast into doubt when three days after the shootings a cousin of Bamber found a silencer in a cupboard at the farm, apparently with Caffell's blood on it. Central to the prosecution case in the Chelmsford crown court trial was evidence that Caffell's blood was on the silencer; if so, she could not have shot herself then placed it in a cupboard downstairs. Jurors heard how the silencer was responsible for scratch marks on a kitchen shelf, allegedly made in a struggle between Bamber and his 61-year-old adoptive father.

The trial was unusual in that the jury were told the killings could have been carried out only by Caffell or Bamber. The issue of the silencer was vital in persuading the jury, with the judge instructing them the silencer "could, on its own, lead them to believe that Bamber was guilty".

Now the conclusions of a peer-reviewed pathology assessment of the evidence relating to Caffell's death, obtained by the Observer, appear to demolish the case against Bamber. They suggest that a silencer – so pivotal to Bamber's conviction – was never used. One report by David Fowler, chief medical examiner of the US state of Maryland, who has reviewed the files of more than 3,000 shooting homicides, states: "In my professional opinion, the [burn marks] complex just described of the lower entrance and two abrasions is consistent with the rifle not having a silencer."

Fowler believes no silencer was involved. His conclusion is supported by Ljubisa Dragovic, chief medical examiner of Oakland county in Michigan, and Marcella Fierro, former chief medical examiner of Virginia.

Leeds-based Simon McKay, Bamber's new solicitor advocate, said: "The evidence of three senior and respected pathologists that the wounds to Sheila Caffell are consistent with the rifle having been fired without the silencer fitted shakes the safety of Jeremy Bamber's convictions to their core."

McKay added: "The fresh expert evidence aligns itself with what police officers found at the scene on the morning of the killings and the combined views of those who assessed the position then: namely, and tragically, [that] Sheila Caffell murdered her family, then took her own life."

Evidence that the fatal wounds had been fired by a rifle without a silencer are corroborated by further fresh analysis of burn marks on Nevill Bamber's back. The findings are supported by firearms experts working for Dr John Manlove, an Oxfordshire-based forensic scientist.

Manlove states: "From its size and shape, this mark could possibly have been caused by the hot muzzle of a firearm, without a sound moderator." He says that further testing is required with the murder weapon, an Anschütz 525 rifle, to underpin his initial assessment.

Manlove's conclusions are corroborated by gunfire tests conducted last month in Arizona. A report by Daniel Caruso, chief of burn services at the Arizona Burn Centre and executive chair of the department of surgery at the University of Arizona, states: "In my professional opinion, the three wounds sustained by Ralph [Nevill] Bamber are consistent in size, shape and diameter with a threaded end of a model 525 Anschütz rifle barrel heated sufficiently to cause injury."

McKay is adamant that the CCRC has no option but to refer the case.

During the trial, the jury struggled to reach a verdict, requesting to see the evidence relating to the blood on the silencer, before returning with a 10-2 majority. McKay added: "A picture is emerging that exculpates Jeremy Bamber and implicates his sister." Until the finding of the silencer, he says, there was no reason to doubt the initial view of detectives that Caffell committed the murder then killed herself. The pathologist, Dr Peter Vanezis, added: "My examination did not reveal anything to contradict the suicide theory."

Although the burn marks were raised at the trial, McKay said they were dismissed as a "mystery". A senior forensics expert in 1985 raised the possibility that the rifle muzzle may have been responsible but no evidence exists that he pursued this line of inquiry. Bamber's lawyers have recently obtained a copy of a note from the Home Office database endorsing that tests were needed to ascertain how hot the silencer became after firing, but again no proof is available that this was pursued.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/feb/0 ... -challenge

Mary23
Amityville Addict

Post by Mary23 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:39 pm

I found a website with many information about Jeremy and all the case http://www.jeremy-bamber.co.uk/

VintageBoy91
Amityville Addict

Post by VintageBoy91 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:45 pm

Interesting website. And interesting crimnal case too. Thanks for sharing Mary23.

VintageBoy91
Amityville Addict

Post by VintageBoy91 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:00 pm

And yes, I have to admit that the similarities between the Bamber murders and the DeFeo murders are amazingly. :shock: :think:

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:20 am

Killer Jeremy Bamber says he adored family he murdered in unseen prison letters

KILLER Jeremy Bamber is still convinced he will one day be cleared, despite serving five life sentences.

Convicted of shooting and killing his mother, father, sister and her two sons, he has been in jail for 26 years and has already lost two appeals.

But this week’s ruling that he can take his case to the European Court of Human Rights has given him new hope.

And now in haunting letters never published before, he insists that he adored the family who adopted him when he was six months old and was always a mummy’s boy.

Bamber, whose victims included his twin six-year-old nephews Daniel and Nicholas, spoke of his sadness that the children’s lives had been cut so short.

He speaks of an idyllic childhood ­surrounded by people who loved him – a picture very much at odds with the law’s verdict that he is a cold-blooded killer who slaughtered his adoptive family to land a £500,000 inheritance.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/je ... ed-1153202

Andrew_J
Amityville Member

Post by Andrew_J » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:58 pm

I have looked into this case in great detail and spoken to many of Bamber's associates who are campaigning for his freedom. Based on the evidence I have no doubt that he is innocent. Unlike Ronald DeFeo Jr, Jeremy Bamber has never once changed his version of events and reading up on the actual evidence and the recently discovered discrepancies regarding the crime scene and the police investigation it's extraordinary that the conviction still stands. The truth of the matter is that no one who is part of the Essex police force or UK government wants this man to be cleared because the repercussions would be enormous, it would be considered the biggest miscarriage of justice in British history. However Bamber has attracted the support of many local Members of Parliament and journalists, so there is a certain momentum gathering in the UK.

There are similarities with the DeFeo murders but there's one big difference. Bamber didn't do it. IMO

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:22 pm

That's interesting, I've never looked into this story in detail. I've always been meaning to compare the time of these murders - with Bamber saying he got a frantic call from the house, and that his sister did it - with Ronnie saying he got a frantic call from the house and this his sister (mostly) did it. Because Ronnie wasn't saying that back in the 70's...

Andrew_J
Amityville Member

Post by Andrew_J » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:58 am

sherbetbizarre wrote:That's interesting, I've never looked into this story in detail. I've always been meaning to compare the time of these murders - with Bamber saying he got a frantic call from the house, and that his sister did it - with Ronnie saying he got a frantic call from the house and this his sister (mostly) did it. Because Ronnie wasn't saying that back in the 70's...
It's just my opinion of course but there's definitely a hell of a lot of discrepancies with the Bamber case and respectable figures in the UK have corroborated a lot of the inconsistencies. This website covers a lot: http://www.jeremy-bamber.co.uk/ Some of it makes a pretty compelling case that he's an innocent man.

Julabard
how strange...

Post by Julabard » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:38 am

At first, I thought this was a Jamie Bamber thread (from Battlestar Galactica) :lol:

I haven't heard about Jeremy, but I'm reading up on it now :think:
Okay, I see you there! There's a 12 gauge shotgun, waitin' for anybody trespassin'!

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:10 am

Here's yet another documentary on Bamber:
Countdown To Murder

Series 1 - Slaughter At The Farm

This episode focuses on the case of Jeremy Bamber, found guilty of brutally slaying his mother, father, sister and two nephews with a shotgun in one night.
http://www.channel5.com/shows/countdown ... t-the-farm

Might only play in the UK.

Here's the trailer:

Shawn
Been there, Done that

Post by Shawn » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:17 am

Yea, can't play in the states. :(
Any and all comments made by the poster "Shawn" are purely his opinion and do not reflect the opinions of the board owners, administrators or moderators. Also, all postings done by the member "Shawn" are property of "Shawn" and cannot be reproduced in any way shape or form without written permission from the poster known here(@http://www.amityvillefaq.com) as "Shawn". TIA.