Shattered Hopes DVD Review

General Discussion About the 1974 DeFeo Murders and related topics
AKA JH70
I got yer stinkin' quarter!

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by AKA JH70 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:28 am

How many of those reviews were written by Ric, and Ryan???

Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Post by Howard64 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:57 am

you would think there would be a way to find out if
the reviews are made by the same poster...
" A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of
the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:07 am

Yes the reviews are genuine, why on earth would Ryan write a review which says his film is so long he started zoning out?

AKA JH70

Post by AKA JH70 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:22 am

Of course he wouldn't write a negative review.

If there were any reviews that didn't have a shred of negativity, I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote those.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:34 am

Freddie In Space wrote:It's really not about entertaining the audience so much as it is delivering as much information as possible, which is certainly no fault of Katzenbach's, who is perhaps an even better private detective than he is a filmmaker.
Ouch. That didn't sound so good.

Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Post by Howard64 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:58 am

sherbetbizarre wrote:Yes the reviews are genuine, why on earth would Ryan write a review which says his film is so long he started zoning out?

i did not mean all of them...
" A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of

AKA JH70

Post by AKA JH70 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:48 pm

Dan the Damned wrote:
Freddie In Space wrote:It's really not about entertaining the audience so much as it is delivering as much information as possible, which is certainly no fault of Katzenbach's, who is perhaps an even better private detective than he is a filmmaker.
I can see Ryan popping a few blood vessels in his head about that one.

kathyM
Princess

Post by kathyM » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:35 pm

Well finally someone else is telling him what we have been saying all along. :clap:

tomspy77
Son of Davros

Post by tomspy77 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:53 pm

You mean we were never really conspiring against his films?

Shoot, and I had a t-shirt made and everything! :-)

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:13 am

AKA JH70 wrote:
Dan the Damned wrote:
I can see Ryan popping a few blood vessels in his head about that one.
Actually I think he would like it because he does in fact fancy himself as a great detective. I see him as a lousy detective and filmaker. He has to lie and distort because the facts and evidence don't fit what he wants to spew.

His research skills are pretty pathetic when you look at all the avaialble ways to prove Geraldine a fraud and he buys known lies that make no sense. For instance it was not difficult to get records showing the visitor log and mail exchanges from prior to the trial. These records prove Gerladien never visited once nor wrote a single time. She lied about visiting him. How did I know to ask for the DA records related to such? Because in his book Sullivan stated he got the records or everyone who visited and who exchanged mail with DeFeo and they interviewed all such persons (except his lawyers) and they subpoenaed the letters he wrote and even published a few such letter sin the book. What this means is that if Gerladine had visited or written she would have been interviewed by Sullivan but he didn't interview her because she never did any such things. She lied. If Katzenbach was half the investigator he fancied himself to be he would have realized that she lied about visiting because:

1) Sullivan denied ever meeting her or even hearing about her until the 1986 Newsday Article and if she had in fact visited or written he would not only have heard of her but would have interviewed her. The book details numerous interviews with people who visite dhim in prison. Remember that DeFeo's lawyer likewise testified that she lied about meeting him.

2) Kazenbach should have done a search of the records related to who visited and wrote in which case he would have independent corroboration of Sullivan's claims he never met or heard of her.

Katzenbach was working on the project for how many years and only in 2010 or 2011 did they finally do a freedome of information reqest for the records related to the case. All his theories predated such evidence and then he simply cherry picked it for whatever he coudl claim supports his theories. Instead of of being lead by the evidence he sifted through the evidence to try to find support for his claims and ignored anything that proved he was wrong.

AKA JH70

Post by AKA JH70 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:58 am

I don't pretend to know everything about Ryan but I do know enough about him that he's a con. He'll do ANYTHING to make a buck. That's why he ignores the facts. He tries to fit the square peg in the round hole.

astonio
Resident

Post by astonio » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:03 am

Scipio...as always...provides a compelling question/observation:

- Katzenbach was working on the project for how many years and only in 2010 or 2011 did they finally do a freedome of information reqest for the records related to the case.

This screams into the face of Ryan's independent research. Further, it supports my belief he pretty used TNTDD as an outline and attempted to use fillers for the rest. Fillers being the mistruths that would/could grasp the attention of an unknowing public. As if there is something "more".

Eh. It's a wrap. Has been. Part 1 was the proof. Part 2 will be the pudding. Part 3...well, that's self applauding. Smh...

:2guns: :2guns: :2guns:
"Everywhere I went wuz like uh telephone; no answer."

tomspy77
Son of Davros

Post by tomspy77 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:18 am

I have yet to see part one (because I refuse to give a man who sues people -and after the fact named me in a legal document- my address or credit card info and Amazon was out the one time I had the money to splurge :doh: ), but based on the reading I did here and t the SH FB page where Ryan at times openly discussed his take I found the weight of truth to be with the posters here.

Here I have seen documents and heard logical, fact driven arguments as to why things are like this group says they are.
While Ryan just says to wait and wait for his never seen before evidence in a three hour monster of a three part documentary (that i can't buy as he IS litigious and Amazon was out) that has to be on the longest cycle of delays and false starts and release dates then any product ever known in the entertainment field.

I would love to write and publish a review of my own take on the film so I can see for myself but alas it is not to be...lol.

AKA JH70

Post by AKA JH70 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:42 am

I'm still thinking that maybe I'll pay the couple of bucks to watch it via Amazon's on-demand feature. There has to be SOME good features about it.

astonio
Resident

Post by astonio » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:50 am

Hmmm...something positive about Part 1? Hmmm. Um...well...uh...omg, not even trying to be funny, but I can't think of anything! It was a narrative. None of the interviewees provided anything 'clenching'. There statements were...generalized, non conclusive.

Something positive about Part 1? I'll need some help with this one because I honestly cannot think of one thing. The score wasn't great and often uneven. The DeFeo family was askew...oh ok! Here's a positive: The actress who plays Ms. Gates was/is pretty.

That's all I got.
"Everywhere I went wuz like uh telephone; no answer."

AKA JH70

Post by AKA JH70 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:10 am

astonio wrote:Hmmm...something positive about Part 1? Hmmm. Um...well...uh...omg, not even trying to be funny, but I can't think of anything! It was a narrative. None of the interviewees provided anything 'clenching'. There statements were...generalized, non conclusive.

Something positive about Part 1? I'll need some help with this one because I honestly cannot think of one thing. The score wasn't great and often uneven. The DeFeo family was askew...oh ok! Here's a positive: The actress who plays Ms. Gates was/is pretty.

That's all I got.
Even though Amazon has part 1 for a few bucks, I'm still somewhat hesitant to use my debit card to pay for it. Earlier this year my debit card information was stolen somehow and a few thousand bucks was taken from my bank account. Ever since then I've always thought twice about purchasing things online.

Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Post by Howard64 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:17 am

I am very careful with that stuff. Amazon seems trustworthy enough.

AKA JH70

Post by AKA JH70 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:24 am

Howard64 wrote:I am very careful with that stuff. Amazon seems trustworthy enough.

It's not that I don't trust Amazon, it's just that I haven't been able to figure out how my information was stolen. May have been from other online retailers that I've purchased things from. I even suspected it was a customer in a New Jersy Dunkin' Donuts that I would go to every day while working. It took a few weeks for the bank to sort it all out and of course, I was off the hook for all charges. Remind me to tell you about it in chat this Thursday.

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:20 am

astonio wrote:Scipio...as always...provides a compelling question/observation:

- Katzenbach was working on the project for how many years and only in 2010 or 2011 did they finally do a freedome of information reqest for the records related to the case.

This screams into the face of Ryan's independent research. Further, it supports my belief he pretty used TNTDD as an outline and attempted to use fillers for the rest. Fillers being the mistruths that would/could grasp the attention of an unknowing public. As if there is something "more".

Eh. It's a wrap. Has been. Part 1 was the proof. Part 2 will be the pudding. Part 3...well, that's self applauding. Smh...

:2guns: :2guns: :2guns:
It was in an interview where he stated that in late 2010 they Brought Bleckman on board and then did the Freedom of Information Request and got the evidence in 2011. He was insisting a .38 caliber was used well before this. This means he was insisting it based on no evidence at all just taking DeFeo's alleged claim about Kelske using a Colt Python and then completly changing all details on his own accord with no evidence except the detail about a .38 caliber being used.

Then after 2011 he just picked out anything he could try to say supports his claims. He says things were in full swing in 2006 and yet he didn't do any research of the files until 2010 as an afterthought since Belckman lived on long Island? Astonishing!

AKA JH70

Post by AKA JH70 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:59 am

Why in the hell would Kelske want to take part in the murders? No way would I do that for any of my friends. That's just a ridiculous claim by Butch

From the clips I saw, none of the characters looked the part of being 1970's people. And Henry's Bar?? Looked like something from today. Very poor realism.

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:08 pm

AKA JH70 wrote:Why in the hell would Kelske want to take part in the murders? No way would I do that for any of my friends. That's just a ridiculous claim by Butch

From the clips I saw, none of the characters looked the part of being 1970's people. And Henry's Bar?? Looked like something from today. Very poor realism.
Osuna and Geraldine claim that DeFeo told them that Louise was still alive after the first shot and crying out in agony so either to silence her or put her out of her misery Kelske poulled out the .357 python he was carrying and shot her a second time killing her. There is no evidence that Kelske in fact ever owned let alone carried a Python around with him. Certainly friends would have been aware if he carried one and he didn't even know all that much about guns in the first place making it even more unlikely.

In any event only 8 bullets were used to commit the crimes, all 8 bullets were identified as being .35 caliber rifle rounds, all 8 rifle casings were recovered. There is no evidence of any handgun being used in the killings just allegedly DeFeo's claim made more than a decade later. I would like to calrify that point I was not suggesting there was evidence of a .38 caliber being used in my last post but rather that Katzenbach chooses to take it as gospel that a handgun was used to kill Louises and that th epolice lab lied about the caliber but at the same time choses to disbelieve everything else about the claim such as how and where the revolver was allegedly disposed , who it belonged to and the exact model. He must be telling the truth about a revolver being used but nothing else...