New information on William Davidge Jr.

General Discussion About the 1974 DeFeo Murders and related topics
Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Re: New information on William Davidge Jr.

Post by Victoria Principles » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:39 am

bella2005 wrote:Was it all that common back in 1974 for people to just fly from Florida to New York just to attend a prom? I just feel like while it is something that is done today, it seems like it would have been an expensive thing to do back then whether someone else paid for him or not.
Some people in Amityville could afford the plane tickets.

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:04 am

Victoria Principles wrote:
bella2005 wrote:Was it all that common back in 1974 for people to just fly from Florida to New York just to attend a prom? I just feel like while it is something that is done today, it seems like it would have been an expensive thing to do back then whether someone else paid for him or not.

Indeed there were quite a few wealthy residents. the Davidges though were not particularly rich, William Benedict (he father) worked at a job where he didn't make too much money it was a public job.

If someone pays for your ticket then the money doesn't matter. But it seems pretty absurd that Ron who was making only $80 a week would give it to someone for that. But that is not the smoking gun. The smoking gun is that we know for a fact he wasn't in Florida in 1974. He attended high school in Amityville from 1971-1975 graduating in June 1975. If he were in Florida in 1974 he would have been attending school there and graduated in Florida in 1975. Moreover, we know William Gerard's mother Inez didn't move to Florida be near her daughter Regina until after William Gerard (Billy) graduated from high school. She was a housewife and made sure to take care of him until he graduated. She probably didn't want to disrupt his schooling by upending him to somewhere new his final year though it is possible Regina Arey and her husband Edward didn't go to Florida until 1975 anyway. The exact date the Arey's moved is unclear.

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:52 am

scipio-USMC wrote:

Indeed there were quite a few wealthy residents. the Davidges though were not particularly rich, William Benedict (he father) worked at a job where he didn't make too much money it was a public job.

If someone pays for your ticket then the money doesn't matter. But it seems pretty absurd that Ron who was making only $80 a week would give it to someone for that. But that is not the smoking gun. The smoking gun is that we know for a fact he wasn't in Florida in 1974. He attended high school in Amityville from 1971-1975 graduating in June 1975. If he were in Florida in 1974 he would have been attending school there and graduated in Florida in 1975. Moreover, we know William Gerard's mother Inez didn't move to Florida be near her daughter Regina until after William Gerard (Billy) graduated from high school. She was a housewife and made sure to take care of him until he graduated. She probably didn't want to disrupt his schooling by upending him to somewhere new his final year though it is possible Regina Arey and her husband Edward didn't go to Florida until 1975 anyway. The exact date the Arey's moved is unclear.

Ronnie got a lot of money given to him by his parents. Who knows from much he got from illicit money (theft, drugs). There was lots of questions about how the DeFeo parents could afford such a house based on Ronnie's Sr. position as a service manager. The mob allegations of family have been talked about long before KatCo and company came along.

astonio
Resident

Post by astonio » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:23 pm

Victoria Principles wrote: The mob allegations of family have been talked about long before KatCo and company came along.
How about, their families helped them purchase the house through savings and not by nefarious means? Since it can only be speculated to what degree the family's involvement in the "mob" really was (nobody's talking that was actually "there" then), why draw the only conclusion based on a family's ethnicity? Max provided substantial, credible information refuting this claim...
"Everywhere I went wuz like uh telephone; no answer."

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:25 pm

astonio wrote:
Victoria Principles wrote: The mob allegations of family have been talked about long before KatCo and company came along.
How about, their families helped them purchase the house through savings and not by nefarious means? Since it can only be speculated to what degree the family's involvement in the "mob" really was (nobody's talking that was actually "there" then), why draw the only conclusion based on a family's ethnicity? Max provided substantial, credible information refuting this claim...
There was lots of questions about the elaborate lifestyle the DeFeos lived and how they could afford it. Ronnie's father gave his son lots of money for nothing. They had boats, tons of television in the house at a time most families had one, kids in Catholic school. This all from a single income family of 7 of a car dealership service manager.

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:41 pm

Victoria Principles wrote:Ronnie got a lot of money given to him by his parents. Who knows from much he got from illicit money (theft, drugs). There was lots of questions about how the DeFeo parents could afford such a house based on Ronnie's Sr. position as a service manager. The mob allegations of family have been talked about long before KatCo and company came along.

Let's be clear, Ronnie claims he was never wanting for money because his parents gave him a lot of money. That claim is suspect for several reasons. First of all, if true he would not have needed to rip off his grandfather's business. Moreover, then he would have had no problem getting a new car instead of fighting to try to get his father to buy him a new car to no avail. Moreover, there is evidence he bummed money off others for drinks pleny including at the bar the day of the murders. Last if his father was giving him so much money then his father would not have been suspicious about Ron buying $500 in clothing after the robbery. That buying spree is what made him suspect Ron was involved. He knew Ron had limited income and should not have that kind of money to go on a spree. If he had in fact fed Ron large sums of money then it would be possible Ron had some of it stored up and would not be so suspicious he had that money to flash. That having such money to flash wa ssuspicious to his father suggests his father wa sin fact not bankrolling him as generously as he claimed.

What motivation does Ron have to lie? Well he claimed he got all the money he wanted so had no financial motive to kill his father. He thus could have been lying to try to conceal a financial motive for the crime.

As for the house, when it was purchased it was not anywhere near the price they go for now. The price back then was much more reasonable in comparison to the salaries of the time. The mortgage would have been more than affordable for a service manager. Today the taxes alone are huge let alone the mortgage costs and one needs a better job to be able to keep up than was necessary back then. Someone with unlimited mob funds would pick someplace better to move from Brooklyn to than Amityville. The further away from NYC you move the more property you could get for a lower price. That house and property closer to NYC would have been way more expensive. The commute is worse the further you get so some will put up with more expensive homes that are smaller than to have to deal with the commute. This was true in the past just like today. My grandfather worked in Manhattan and moved the family from Brooklyn to Brentwood and because of the horrible commute then moved to Nassau settling for much less property because the trip was much faster than it was from Brentwood. Suffolk County suburbs were the least expensive suburbs on long Island at the time (the Hamptons are a different story vacation areas are always more expensive). The notion tha tunless yo uhad mob money you could not live there is absurd. The house owned by the Davidges is today extremely expensive but he afforded it on a government salary and at the time government workers got much less than today.

I concur with Antonio that the house could have been bought legitimately and unless I see actual evidence to prove mob money was used I am not putting much stock in the claim. Especially with the BS about how the mob's books for the entire crime family were suppsoedly hidden in a secret panel in the DeFeo basement. GIve me a break...

In general the whole mob connection BS is used:

1) to inflate Ron's ego of being a connected man

2) to try to give a motive for someone else to kill the family

3) to try to make the victims seem less sypathy worthy

4) to try to make an excuse for why Ron falsely took the fall for the killings

These were Ron's reasons. The conspiracy theorist publishers are pushing the mob stories for the same reasons (they ar eon Ron's side0 plus in general people find the mob interesting and they think it makes interesting print and will create a buzz and get people to like what they publish. It has nothing at all to do with the truth. People interested in the truth should be wary and only accept what can be established with proof. I can't tell you how many supposed mobsters our family knew who in fact were just low level bookies or other similar minor connections who grossly inflated their activities and links. Also people who had to do business with the mob but were not actually in the mob.

Ron says

bella2005
Great Scott!

Post by bella2005 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:52 pm

That's true. I am forgetting that these were wealthy people living in Amityville.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:19 pm

Or at least "upper middle class."

Hey kids, remember when we had a middle class in this country?

BillyCigars
American Psycho

Post by BillyCigars » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:39 am

Still do.
"The old man's still an artist with a Thompson."

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:39 am

scipio-USMC wrote:
Victoria Principles wrote:Ronnie got a lot of money given to him by his parents. Who knows from much he got from illicit money (theft, drugs). There was lots of questions about how the DeFeo parents could afford such a house based on Ronnie's Sr. position as a service manager. The mob allegations of family have been talked about long before KatCo and company came along.

Let's be clear, Ronnie claims he was never wanting for money because his parents gave him a lot of money. That claim is suspect for several reasons. First of all, if true he would not have needed to rip off his grandfather's business. Moreover, then he would have had no problem getting a new car instead of fighting to try to get his father to buy him a new car to no avail. Moreover, there is evidence he bummed money off others for drinks pleny including at the bar the day of the murders. Last if his father was giving him so much money then his father would not have been suspicious about Ron buying $500 in clothing after the robbery. That buying spree is what made him suspect Ron was involved. He knew Ron had limited income and should not have that kind of money to go on a spree. If he had in fact fed Ron large sums of money then it would be possible Ron had some of it stored up and would not be so suspicious he had that money to flash. That having such money to flash wa ssuspicious to his father suggests his father wa sin fact not bankrolling him as generously as he claimed.

What motivation does Ron have to lie? Well he claimed he got all the money he wanted so had no financial motive to kill his father. He thus could have been lying to try to conceal a financial motive for the crime.

As for the house, when it was purchased it was not anywhere near the price they go for now. The price back then was much more reasonable in comparison to the salaries of the time. The mortgage would have been more than affordable for a service manager. Today the taxes alone are huge let alone the mortgage costs and one needs a better job to be able to keep up than was necessary back then. Someone with unlimited mob funds would pick someplace better to move from Brooklyn to than Amityville. The further away from NYC you move the more property you could get for a lower price. That house and property closer to NYC would have been way more expensive. The commute is worse the further you get so some will put up with more expensive homes that are smaller than to have to deal with the commute. This was true in the past just like today. My grandfather worked in Manhattan and moved the family from Brooklyn to Brentwood and because of the horrible commute then moved to Nassau settling for much less property because the trip was much faster than it was from Brentwood. Suffolk County suburbs were the least expensive suburbs on long Island at the time (the Hamptons are a different story vacation areas are always more expensive). The notion tha tunless yo uhad mob money you could not live there is absurd. The house owned by the Davidges is today extremely expensive but he afforded it on a government salary and at the time government workers got much less than today.

I concur with Antonio that the house could have been bought legitimately and unless I see actual evidence to prove mob money was used I am not putting much stock in the claim. Especially with the BS about how the mob's books for the entire crime family were suppsoedly hidden in a secret panel in the DeFeo basement. GIve me a break...

These were Ron's reasons. The conspiracy theorist publishers are pushing the mob stories for the same reasons (they ar eon Ron's side0 plus in general people find the mob interesting and they think it makes interesting print and will create a buzz and get people to like what they publish. It has nothing at all to do with the truth. People interested in the truth should be wary and only accept what can be established with proof. I can't tell you how many supposed mobsters our family knew who in fact were just low level bookies or other similar minor connections who grossly inflated their activities and links. Also people who had to do business with the mob but were not actually in the mob.

Ron says

Butch was a drug addict. Drugs are expensive, he had to get the money somewhere. There was also media coverage about how much stuff his father gave Butch, how Butch flashed cashed, and tried to buy friends.

As for the house, the FAQ here says the DeFeo's bought the house for $10 and other valuable considerations, what ever that means. Strange, other sources say they bought the house for $75,000. Still expensive in those days for what Senior would have made as a service manageer. Water front property is going to fetch a high price no matter what era it was. There was neighbors who thought the DeFeos had mafia ties even before the murders. There was media coverage about relatives of the DeFeos having mob ties.

What makes you think someone with mob ties would pick a place closer to Brooklyn? The Amityville location was prime real estate. They could pick anywhere they wanted and may have liked the small town atmshpere.

astonio
Resident

Post by astonio » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:20 am

The DeFeos bought 112 for $10?? This I've never heard before ever.

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:50 am

astonio wrote:The DeFeos bought 112 for $10?? This I've never heard before ever.

Listed right here in the FAQ under "Besides the DeFeos and the Lutzes, who has owned that Amityville house?"
http://www.amityvillefaq.com/property.html

Didn't see any documents for this. Saw an old article that said the DeFeos bought the house for $75,000.

astonio
Resident

Post by astonio » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:22 am

It has been explained to me from the ethers (LOL). It denotes the valuable consideration is the actual cost of the house. Common lingo for back in the day.

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:59 am

scipio-USMC wrote:

Ron says

Butch was a drug addict. Drugs are expensive, he had to get the money somewhere. There was also media coverage about how much stuff his father gave Butch, how Butch flashed cashed, and tried to buy friends.

As for the house, the FAQ here says the DeFeo's bought the house for $10 and other valuable considerations, what ever that means. Strange, other sources say they bought the house for $75,000. Still expensive in those days for what Senior would have made as a service manageer. Water front property is going to fetch a high price no matter what era it was. There was neighbors who thought the DeFeos had mafia ties even before the murders. There was media coverage about relatives of the DeFeos having mob ties.

What makes you think someone with mob ties would pick a place closer to Brooklyn? The Amityville location was prime real estate. They could pick anywhere they wanted and may have liked the small town atmshpere.

Drugs today are more expensive than back then. At any rate he clearly did illegal things to get funds for drugs. The media coverage is not all that reliable. If he got so much money from his parents he would not have needed to steal money, would not have needed to plead for a new car to no avail, and him having money would not raise suspicion with his father.

You are clearly reading from a deed. A deed doesn't declare the purchase price. For legal reasons it must recount consideration to be a valid contract so deeds and other documents will recount consideration in low aounts ranging from $1 to $100. The sales contract will have the actual purchase price which was $65,000.

I said someone with major mob ties as alleged would live in a more expensive place period but certianly one closer to where they worked in NYC. if they actually had so much mob money comin gin they could and would afford the best.

The car company was very lucrative so there is no reason to say that the funds coming in from it didn't make Brigante wealthy and the salary paid to His son-in-law enough to live off of. I don't know any major mob bosses who were car salesman at the time they supposedly were on the rise in the mob. The whole thing doesn't pass the smell test.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:05 am

Here is what I was referring to in the FAQ pages:

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:04 pm

Drugs today are more expensive than back then. At any rate he clearly did illegal things to get funds for drugs. The media coverage is not all that reliable. If he got so much money from his parents he would not have needed to steal money, would not have needed to plead for a new car to no avail, and him having money would not raise suspicion with his father.

You are clearly reading from a deed. A deed doesn't declare the purchase price. For legal reasons it must recount consideration to be a valid contract so deeds and other documents will recount consideration in low aounts ranging from $1 to $100. The sales contract will have the actual purchase price which was $65,000.

I said someone with major mob ties as alleged would live in a more expensive place period but certianly one closer to where they worked in NYC. if they actually had so much mob money comin gin they could and would afford the best.

The car company was very lucrative so there is no reason to say that the funds coming in from it didn't make Brigante wealthy and the salary paid to His son-in-law enough to live off of. I don't know any major mob bosses who were car salesman at the time they supposedly were on the rise in the mob. The whole thing doesn't pass the smell test.
1. How do you know what illegal drug prices were back then compared to today? Illegal drugs were probably as expensive back as ratio of cost vs. income. Demand was higher back then than it was today and they had the same problems with drugs as there are today.

2. People with mob ties make different amounts of money depending on their ranks and position. Not all mob figures get big bucks. A godfather makes a lot more than a button man. I know of people with suspected mob ties who didn't live in the best neighborhoods in downtrodden cities before going off to spend time at Club Fed. The DeFeos certainly lived in a nice place and could afford the commute to Brooklyn. Perhaps you should look at this, about Ron Sr. uncle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_DeFeo

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:31 pm

Dan the Damned wrote:Here is what I was referring to in the FAQ pages:

That is the conveyance not the sales contract

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:34 pm

1. How do you know what illegal drug prices were back then compared to today? Illegal drugs were probably as expensive back as ratio of cost vs. income. Demand was higher back then than it was today and they had the same problems with drugs as there are today.

2. People with mob ties make different amounts of money depending on their ranks and position. Not all mob figures get big bucks. A godfather makes a lot more than a button man. I know of people with suspected mob ties who didn't live in the best neighborhoods in downtrodden cities before going off to spend time at Club Fed. The DeFeos certainly lived in a nice place and could afford the commute to Brooklyn. Perhaps you should look at this, about Ron Sr. uncle.

The same Amityville House closer to NYC would have been considerably more expensive.

Peter DeFeo has little to do with alleged mob connections by Brigante and ROnald DeFeo Sr. Moreover, he clearly wa snot as high up the chain as they even want to pretend that Brigante was.

There is no evidence that Brigante bought the house for the DeFeos he didn't sign the contract. We have the word of unreliable people that's it and given the considerable amount of lies these peopel have told I do not consider them credible period about anything unless corroborated by substantial evidence.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:50 pm

scipio-USMC wrote:
Dan the Damned wrote:Here is what I was referring to in the FAQ pages:

That is the conveyance not the sales contract
Is that why is says $10 instead of the full price? Or is the $10 in reference to something totally different?

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:01 pm

scipio-USMC wrote:

The same Amityville House closer to NYC would have been considerably more expensive.

Peter DeFeo has little to do with alleged mob connections by Brigante and ROnald DeFeo Sr. Moreover, he clearly wa snot as high up the chain as they even want to pretend that Brigante was.

There is no evidence that Brigante bought the house for the DeFeos he didn't sign the contract. We have the word of unreliable people that's it and given the considerable amount of lies these peopel have told I do not consider them credible period about anything unless corroborated by substantial evidence.
Perhaps the DeFeos didn't want to be close to NYC and liked small town life.

It was Ronnie Sr's father's brother that was figured as a mob figure. You really think that he was the only member of the family involved in the mob?

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:09 pm

scipio-USMC wrote:

And who exactly are these unreliable people? The media, the police?