Shattered Hopes - Utterly Debunked?

General Discussion About the 1974 DeFeo Murders and related topics

Re: Shattered Hopes - Utterly Debunked?

Postby Dan the Damned » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:19 pm

Legalities specific to Ryan and his movie? Or "fiction as truth" books in general?

In general, I don't think there are too many legal issues involved, unless a certain book is defamatory to someone who is still alive or to a corporation or what have you.

Specific to Ryan -- I don't think he's done anything illegal. Unless he failed to get permission from MGM to use those clips from "The Amityville Horror" in his documentary. :think:
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby Blue » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:57 pm

Dan the Damned wrote:Legalities specific to Ryan and his movie? Or "fiction as truth" books in general?

I was curious about both actually. I don't want to pick on anyone but I don't know of anything illegal about publishing a book of lies and calling it true.

Dan the Damned wrote:Specific to Ryan -- I don't think he's done anything illegal. Unless he failed to get permission from MGM to use those clips from "The Amityville Horror" in his documentary. :think:

Now, now... As litigious as he is, I am sure Ryan made sure that all the i's we're dotted and the t's were crossed. He certainly wouldn't want to be caught up in anything dishonest or unethical. :naughty:
Blue
Amityville Addict

Postby Dan the Damned » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:06 pm

Blue wrote:I was curious about both actually. I don't want to pick on anyone but I don't know of anything illegal about publishing a book of lies and calling it true.

I'm no lawyer, but in general I don't think there is anything illegal about it, either. The exceptions being cases of defamation and things along those lines. Or if the lies were part of some big scheme to bilk people of their money (not just buying the book, but part of a larger scheme or something). At least that's my feeling.
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby Matt9290 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 am

The book reminds me of that old joke about editors… Q. How many editors does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A. Only one; but first they have to rewire the entire building.
I wish I had the nerve not to tip...
Matt9290
Oh My Goodness

Postby Rokiisun » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:07 am

Speaking of books... Is Ryan really serious about writting a novel about how he
hates the way Hollywood has treated him?

No offense, but I don't see any other independent artists going out of their way
to write a novel that slanders Hollywood.

An indie artist lives for the moment because he loves what he does. He doesn't
plan on making it Hollywood because Hollywood will come to him if he is doing
something right.
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.
Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Postby sherbetbizarre » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:28 am

I can sympathize with some of what he says regarding "Hollywood", but Ryan takes it to a whole new level of complaining. Plenty of "creative types" sit in meetings and hear executives give daft suggestions to "improve" their work . But on Brian's radio show, Ryan says he unloaded on the exec, telling him exactly what he thought. Not the best idea if you're looking to get funded...

Check out his mock-up cover of "We're Making Murder, Baby!" on facebook to see his ego in full flow :P
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby kathyM » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:23 am

Another #1 best seller just like the documentary I am sure. :roll:

I doubt Hollywood will be shaking in its boots by his revelations in the book. They probably have no clue who he even is.
Shattered Hopes will live up to its name, shattered for sure.
kathyM
Princess

Postby Shawn » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:03 pm

ryKat is obviously blackballed in Hollywood, the poor pathetic baby. :clap:
Any and all comments made by the poster "Shawn" are purely his opinion and do not reflect the opinions of the board owners, administrators or moderators. Also, all postings done by the member "Shawn" are property of "Shawn" and cannot be reproduced in any way shape or form without written permission from the poster known here(@http://www.amityvillefaq.com) as "Shawn". TIA.
Shawn
Been there, Done that

Postby zoeyku » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:30 pm

We need a running index.
zoeyku
**New Account**

Postby scipio-USMC » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:32 pm

The most important claims that have been debunked are the following:

1) The bogus motive for Dawn to kill her parents. That is a huge part of the documentary.

As we all know Billy Davidge did not move to Florida until after Ron was convicted. He graduated from Amityville High School 7 months after the murders so obviously was still living there during the murders. The claim his father was transferred to Florida was a big fat lie he died a year before he supposedly was transferred. The claim that Ron was such a nice guy he flew Billy Davidge up from Florida to take Dawn to her senior prom was a lie. Even Linnea Nonnewitz was in on this lie as she falsely claimed Dawn wanted her to take her to Florida to be with Billy. If she actually had a motive to kill her parents then there would not have been any need for all these lies.

2) The claim that the powder burn on Dawn's shoulder proves she fired a weapon. Unburned gunpower shoots out of the barrel away from the shooter not onto the shooter. A powder burn merely establishes that she was near the muzzle of a weapon that was fired. The powder was on her left shoulder close to the entrance wound under her left ear. It obviously got there while she was being shot. Her hands were tested for PGSR (which gets on someone who fires a weapon) but the test came up negative so there was in fact no evidence at all that she had fired a weapon and the only prints on the murder weapon belonged to Ron.

3) The claim that the evidence establishes another gun was involved. The evidence establishes no such thing. In fact the evidence cited proves that the bullets that killed Louise can't have come from a 38 special or the gun that katzenbach recovered in the Amityville Canal.

Full discussion of that can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10475

4) The fact that Gerladine was lying her ass off about everything and in fact had never met Ron until 1985 so can't speak to anything that occurred prior.

I think that pretty much takes the entire mess apart completely and totally.
scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Postby cwf081166 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:30 pm

Scipio USMC You very well said and kicked Ric's crap to the gutter, That should put some if Ric's crap to bed for the non believer with any common sense. Anyone can research Ric Osuna's involvement in any and all things Amityville and realize what motives from the start.
cwf081166
Amityville Member

Postby grimjim » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:07 am

I haven´t seen any news at all about the third part of the series on facebook :clap:
grimjim
Amityville Addict

Postby Dan the Damned » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:01 am

On facebook, Ryan is saying Part III will be released on July 27th. Or, at least "part 1" of Part III.

Huh? Part 1 of Part III? Why not just make it "part III" and "part IV"? Because Ryan promised you a "trilogy," and he is going to bend the rules to keep it as a trilogy. Much like how he bends the facts to support his flawed narrative concerning the DeFeo case in general... :P
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby MeanDemon » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:31 am

Been awhile gang, my Amityville spirit tends to pick up about now every year into the Fall months. Sadly I got sucked into buying Ricks book and hearing everything hear confirms my thoughts about it all. So glad I read the following on Shatterd Hopes here as well, was sort of looking forward to it, actually messages the FB page about shipping charges and never heard from anybody 6 mths now? Safe to say I'm not even interested now considering the respected opinion here. Just wanted to say thanks and keep up the great input on here everyone! I'm catching up on this past year of posts now and learning a lot ! Best, Jim
MeanDemon
Amityville Member

Postby Dan the Damned » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:49 am

Yeah, I got sucked into buying/reading Ric's book when I first came to these forums as well, before I knew any better. At first I was bemoaning the fact that I wasted my money, but later I was glad that I did, for lots of people kept saying, "the haunting is totally debunked in Ric's book," and I could simply open up the book and tell them, "no, it isn't -- in fact there are some major inaccuracies here and here and here," citing page numbers and giving quotes.

So it was a nice little tool to debunk the debunkers.

And isn't it a nice feeling when you read something like that, with stuff not adding up in your mind, and then you go on the internet to discover other people share your same feelings? :clap:
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby Evanguy Reincarnated » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:54 pm

And isn't it a nice feeling when you read something like that, with stuff not adding up in your mind, and then you go on the internet to discover other people share your same feelings? :clap:

Yes I agree!
Like a child left to roam, you found me, your arms were my home
Evanguy Reincarnated
Curiouser and curiouser

Postby kudzu » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:19 am

I bought Ric's book mostly because it had a great cover. :D I know that's lame, but I figured even if it is full of total bunk it would look nice on my shelf along with my other Amityville titles. Hey I never claimed to be the most practical fan in the world.
kudzu
Amityville Addict

Postby spoookee » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:18 pm

I'm watching part 2 right now and trying not to vomit...

Hello everybody. I don't think I know but maybe one or two of you. I was on this board back in the day... 1999/2000; around the filming of the History Channel documentary.

Nice to be back! Glad to see Sherb and - whoever else - still shedding the light on this case!!!

Ric - Osuna Tuna... UGH! Should be ashamed of yourself... He hasn't changed much in 15 years. Except the spot on his forehead getting bigger anyway... LoL
spoookee
Amityville Member

Postby kblur77 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:58 pm

Yep. The scenes of Dawn and Ron in the basement that night and the dialogue the actors had to speak was almost embarrassing to watch.
kblur77
Amityville Addict

Postby RowdyRodimus » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:39 am

spoookee wrote:I'm watching part 2 right now and trying not to vomit...

Hello everybody. I don't think I know but maybe one or two of you. I was on this board back in the day... 1999/2000; around the filming of the History Channel documentary.

Nice to be back! Glad to see Sherb and - whoever else - still shedding the light on this case!!!

Ric - Osuna Tuna... UGH! Should be ashamed of yourself... He hasn't changed much in 15 years. Except the spot on his forehead getting bigger anyway... LoL

Are those the same documentaries that are in the Amityville Horror Box Set? Just wondering because I got that DVD set in a lot of box sets I bought (to get the Greatest American Hero complete series, it was way cheaper to do that than get them separately) and have yet to open it.
RowdyRodimus
Amityville Member

Postby RowdyRodimus » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:42 am

kblur77 wrote:Yep. The scenes of Dawn and Ron in the basement that night and the dialogue the actors had to speak was almost embarrassing to watch.

I want to see this just to see how bad it really is but I refuse to pay for it and it was so unpopular it isn't even on any torrent sites lol (Oh, and your Beatles Avatar is awesome. I actually have a copy of Yesterday and Today with the "Butcher" cover. It was my Dad's from back in the day and when I got into the Beatles around 1990, he gave it to me along with his other Beatles records.)
RowdyRodimus
Amityville Member

PreviousNext

Return to DeFeo Discussion