Analyzing the Paul Bartz Theory

For Discussion Of Amityville Photographs
tourmaline
Amityville Member

Analyzing the Paul Bartz Theory

Post by tourmaline » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:51 am

Hey everyone, i know I'm late to the party with regard to analyzing the Ghost Boy pic (I just read half of that long thread), but I thought that maybe the speculation could be taken a step further by analyzing the respective plaid patterns on Paul Bartz's shirt and on Ghost Boy's shirt. You may have to adjust the angle of your monitor to make the image clearer.

Here is the visible portion of the Ghost Boy's plaid shirt:

Here is a closeup of the plaid pattern on Paul Bartz's shirt:

On Ghost Boy's shirt, I see that the pattern is composed of a large, very light colored central square surrounded on all four sides by three color-alternating lines: the first line very dark, the second very light, and the third very dark like the first. This central large light colored square surrounded by 3 color-alternating lines repeats throughout the visible area of the shirt and likely makes up the pattern of the whole plaid shirt.

With Paul Bartz's shirt pattern, the large central square is actually composed of a checkerboard pattern which is not in evidence in the Ghost Boy's plaid shirt. The 3 color-alternating lines are present in Bartz's shirt, however the 2 dark lines appear to be much fatter than in Ghost Boy's shirt.

When I decided to undertake this analysis, I did it with the hope of proving that Paul Bartz was definitively the Ghost Boy, because I do think Ghost Boy appears to be human, is definitely wearing glasses, etc. and Paul had similar features, appeared youthful, wore a plaid shirt, etc. It seemed on the surface to be a great match. However, after looking closely at the plaid patterns, I have to conclude that the shirts are NOT a match.
Thanks for reading, and please feel free to chime in and add your thoughts. :)

MerchBoi
Official Gay Mascot of Amityville

Post by MerchBoi » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:42 am

I've always believed that it wasn't Paul Bartz.

I am not saying what Ghostie is, or isn't, but I do subscribe to the opinion that he does sort of resemble John DeFeo, for whatever that may or may not be worth.
MerchBoi...resident Gay Mascot for Amityville Horror Truth.

"The last chance,
The last dance,
One moment in time.
One song,
Doesn't last that long.
Life turns on a dime.
The wheels of fortune seem to pass you by.
Tomorrow there's a dawn again.
A dream can still be born again.
Take a chance,
While there still is time.
Because life turns on a dime."
-IN MY LIFE

t00nCiNaToR
I Kick Ass for the Lord!

Post by t00nCiNaToR » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:06 am

Looks more like a woman to me... she could have been in other shots but they may have been lost or misplaced. She could have even been the one taking the pics hence the reason she isn't in any of them, except the auto camera "Ghost-Boy" pic and I use that term very lightly.
"It happened so quick. I mean, it was boom, boom, boom. From the first killing to the last, it never took any longer than seven seconds,
it would be alot, that would have been alot. Seven seconds." - Ronald J. DeFeo Jr.

Jetstar3D
Shiner

Post by Jetstar3D » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:01 am

MerchBoi wrote:I've always believed that it wasn't Paul Bartz.

I am not saying what Ghostie is, or isn't, but I do subscribe to the opinion that he does sort of resemble John DeFeo, for whatever that may or may not be worth.
I'm with Merch

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:21 am

There are two factors at play here. One if that UV photography can "see" things differently. The other is that the "ghost boy" image originally appears as a tiny figure in the original photograph, and has been blown-up to get a closer view.

Both of those may play a factor in why the pattern seems a bit different.

MerchBoi

Post by MerchBoi » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:40 pm

Aw, Jet. I'm not alone!

"The last chance,
The last dance,
One moment in time.
One song,
Doesn't last that long.
Life turns on a dime.
Take a chance,
-IN MY LIFE

tourmaline
Amityville Member

Post by tourmaline » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:25 pm

I've just looked at Ghosty's shirt a little closer in and adjusted the gamma,

and I think I may have erred when I stated that the dark lines in Ghosty's shirt were not as "fat" or wide as those in Bartz's plaid shirt. Upon closer inspection, they do appear to be about the same width as the single light-colored line, just as in Bartz's plaid:

As for the lack of a visible checkerboard pattern in Ghosty's plaid, you may be right, Dan, about the low resolution or the infrared light obscuring or interfering with the fine detail of the plaid. (By the way, do we know definitively that the automatic camera was using infrared photography and not just a regular B&W with flash? I know that George tossed out the word "infrared" during an interview or two, but I've heard several people just toss that word out there when speaking of photographing in the dark. Has the team's use of infrared film been firmly established?)

BTW, I've just done a google image search of the word "plaid" and in looking at the first 5 pages of images I have not found one that corresponds to the 'central square surrounded by 3 light-dark alternating lines' pattern which both the Bartz shirt and the Ghosty shirt DO have. This suggests that this particular plaid pattern is not extremely common, and so what are the chances of having two different individuals wearing that basic plaid pattern that night? Not very common. Hmmm....

Also, I'd like to say that I'm working off a pretty clear pic, a close-up screencap from a documentary, and I've seen some people write that they did not see the eyeglasses on the face. In the pic I am working off of, I can see the glasses clearly, and the gleam off of the curvature of the lenses corresponds perfectly with the gleam coming off the stair-post directlybelow and in front of the gleaming eyes in the pic. Here is a pic of the stair-post, it is in a direct line with the gleam of the left eyeglass lens and immediately below it in the pic:

This establishes with some degree of certainty that the same gleam (from light emanating from the camera/flash) is responsible for both the eyeglass lenses and the stair-post. The low-quality pics of "ghost boy" do look frightening, like he has weird demonic eyes, but when seen in a high-quality close up, it is clear that it is just eyeglasses with a gleam coming off the curvature of the lens, and the face itself does not look scary at all in the picture I'm working off of, just innocent and curious, maybe a bit surprised.

Taking into account the fact that, as Dan pointed out, the smallness of the subject and /or the IR photography may have obscured the checkerboard pattern in the central square of Ghosty's plaid shirt, AND the fact that the basic plaid pattern that both Bartz and Ghosty share is not very common, I think it could very well be Paul Bartz. He could have been kneeling down to check the doorknob keyhole for evidence of the icky substance that the Lutz's reported, and used his own or borrowed someone else's glasses for magnification purposes.

Sorry this post is so long and detailed...
As always, discussion and thoughts are welcome.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:06 pm

I'm no expert in photography, but it looks like an infrared shot to me. At my old job I spent a lot of time watching TV monitors connected to infrared cameras filming from dark locations -- it just has the same strange look to me. Hard to describe.

Yeah, George has said those were infrared photos. He wasn't there, however, but was told this by others (presumably the Warrens). The photographer was brought-in by the Warrens -- a friend of theirs.

I think it would make sense for this setup to be infrared, with the investigators possibly thinking that it would be unobtrusive (maybe less likely to "scare away the spirits") or that infrared might see some spirit that the human eye couldn't.

With the infrared cameras at my old job, they all had a low-level red light attached to them. When looking at the red light with the normal lights turned off, it was barely noticeable; but looking at the monitors, that tiny red light acted like a brilliant spotlight. And in the ghost boy photo, I see shadows (and yes, the reflection off the glasses), so I'm thinking that maybe the photographer had one of those small red lights near the camera.

If this were a normal photo, with a flash, then I think we wouldn't see those shadows. The flash would be right on top of the lens. With the shadows in the ghost boy photo, it seems the light source was a little to the camera's left.

My thoughts about this photo have run the gamut. For a while I even thought it was Lorraine Warren, herself. As for body positioning, I think he is sitting on something. Here's a sketch of how I think the figure is situated (again, just my opinion):

tourmaline
Amityville Member

Post by tourmaline » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:03 pm

Interesting, thanks Dan. Your diagram looks about right to me. I have a couple new things:

- I was able to easily alter the appearance of Bartz's plaid by turning up the gamma & exposure levels so that the chessboard pattern in the middle looks essentially whited out.

This whited out version matches the pattern in evidence on Ghosty's plaid shirt. And another thing I just discovered is that in the full shot of the ghost boy pic, the lion picture hanging on the wall outside of the bathroom looks generally very light in color, however I just watched some in-color moving film footage of the second floor on the night of the seance/investigation, and in real life that lion in the pic is actually dark in color. Good evidence that the UV or IR camera that was being used to automatically photograph the second floor that night did indeed "white out" certain colors and shades, which is what I think likely happened with ghost boys plaid shirt.

Okay, now my last bit of news: I have tracked Bartz down and found his contact info including email address, and I am going to very politely email him and attach a clear copy of ghost boy and see if he can offer any insight. I really hope he doesn't get offended...Will keep y'all posted. Have a wonderful evening.

Chichibcc
Cat Avatar Lover

Post by Chichibcc » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:14 am

tourmaline wrote: Okay, now my last bit of news: I have tracked Bartz down and found his contact info including email address, and I am going to very politely email him and attach a clear copy of ghost boy and see if he can offer any insight. I really hope he doesn't get offended...Will keep y'all posted. Have a wonderful evening.
Hopefully, he'll respond...I'm sure this probably isn't the first time he's been asked about this.
[size=125][i][color=red]Actions speak louder than words....[/color][/i][/size]

tourmaline
Amityville Member

Post by tourmaline » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:03 pm

Chichibcc wrote:
Hopefully, he'll respond...I'm sure this probably isn't the first time he's been asked about this.
No response yet...I'm doubtful he will respond but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I love solving mysteries (can you tell? lol) and I'd love to put the mystery of the Ghost Boy pic to bed once and for all.

Just Simon
There is no spoon....

Post by Just Simon » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:38 pm

There is no doubt in my mind that ghost-boy is Bartz.

Excellent research btw Tourmaline.
Cheers,

Simon

msmart112
Amityville_Member

Post by msmart112 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:28 pm

Just Simon wrote:There is no doubt in my mind that ghost-boy is Bartz.
I'm pretty sure that Paul Bartz himself feels the same way. 8-)

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:33 pm

I dunno. I've heard reports that Paul walks around Manhattan wearing "I'm not the ghostie boy" T-shirts... :?

Jetstar3D
Shiner

Post by Jetstar3D » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:52 pm

Dan the Damned wrote:I dunno. I've heard reports that Paul walks around Manhattan wearing "I'm not the ghostie boy" T-shirts... :?
Don't forget the buttons that say "I'm not Ghostie" (a la Paul Avery)...

evanguy2004
I Am Insane

Post by evanguy2004 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:51 pm

I believe it is Bartz. Dan made a convincing argument with his diagram a number of months ago. Your new gamma image to me looks like the same checkered pattern. I am sure Lorraine Warren never would want this mystery solved. I should have asked her when I ran into her at the local Big Y Grocery Store on Rt. 111 in Monroe, Ct where she and Tony Spera shop weekly!

Kinzoku
Quarter-Moon Inquisitor

Post by Kinzoku » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:56 pm

evanguy2004 wrote:I believe it is Bartz. Dan made a convincing argument with his diagram a number of months ago. Your new gamma image to me looks like the same checkered pattern. I am sure Lorraine Warren never would want this mystery solved. I should have asked her when I ran into her at the local Big Y Grocery Store on Rt. 111 in Monroe, Ct where she and Tony Spera shop weekly!
You should throw some Devil Dogs in her shopping cart when Lorraine and Tony aren't looking. I bet she'd get a rise outa that............ :twisted:

evanguy2004
I Am Insane

Post by evanguy2004 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:03 pm

hahahaha...That would be a riot! Good one! I can't tell you what a sweet heart Lorraine is to her fans. I literally watched her walk the aisles of the Big Y grocery store and at every turn a new person would go up to her and say hi. You can say what you want about her but she is enjoying her fame!

TigresMeow
Yo Adrian I luv black caulk

Post by TigresMeow » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:26 pm

Well it's not like you will never see her again. Ask her about Bartz being ghostie boy.
If you're gonna kick a tiger in the ass, you better have a plan to deal with it's teeth.

RIP 15

"Have the dogs stopped barking, Clarice?"

MerchBoi

Post by MerchBoi » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:46 pm

You watch old ladies while they shop? ;)

"The last chance,
The last dance,
One moment in time.
One song,
Doesn't last that long.
Life turns on a dime.
Take a chance,
-IN MY LIFE

Tim
The monkey supplied the glue.

Post by Tim » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:36 pm

evanguy2004 wrote:hahahaha...That would be a riot! Good one! I can't tell you what a sweet heart Lorraine is to her fans. I literally watched her walk the aisles of the Big Y grocery store and at every turn a new person would go up to her and say hi. You can say what you want about her but she is enjoying her fame!

Is the Big Y a real market or just a fantasy?? And as for "I literally watched her walk the aisles" thing- well that's just flat out KiNkY!