General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
msmart112
Amityville_Member

Why did the Lutzes go to William Weber?

Post by msmart112 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:50 pm

The following posts were deleted from this thread due to an accident:

msmart112 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:09 pm
When William Weber was asked in an interview by Joel Martin in 1979 how he first met George and Kathy...he said...

"They called me. They were interested, supposedly, in giving me information to assist in the defense of Ronnie DeFeo."

When William Weber was interviewed for the History's Mysteries documentaries on Amityville that aired in 2000...he said...

"When I first met with the Lutzes, they told me a story about incidences that occurred to them, and their children, as a result of what they described was a phenomena in the house, and they wanted to know if I had any evidence, during the trial, or during my investigation, that could help them."

Here's what George said on a 2002 ABC Primetime Live episode ...

"We realized there was something so wrong there that it would be inhuman, it would be improper, to just let him rot in jail and not try to help get him some kind of psychological help."

Here's the recap on the first meeting from the main AT website (which cites a 1977 Lutz-Warren interview and a 2002 Coast to Coast interview)...

"After fleeing the house, George and Kathy felt the events they experienced might have also influenced Ronnie DeFeo in 1974. They knew a sane person wouldn't kill their whole family, and felt Ronnie needed some sort of help. They told William Weber of their experiences in the hopes that DeFeo might possibly get some sort of psychiatric care."

Here's what George told Jeff Belanger in 2006...possibly George's last interview..in an interview for the book Our Haunted Lives...

"We also felt very strongly that whatever had gone on before we were there, Ronald DeFeo needed psychological help. There was no doubt in our minds that he was influenced by what was in that house, and being declared sane, that shouldn't be allowed. We should try to do something about that. So through friends of ours, they contacted his attorney and we met with him to talk about that."

And here's what Laura Didio recently said in an interview on The Grave Talks...

"George and Kathy went to Weber because he had defended Ronnie DeFeo, and they wanted to find out if Ronnie DeFeo had had any experiences, you know, in the house or what had gone on."

So why exactly did George and Kathy go to Weber? Was it to get Ronnie psychological/psychiatric help...was it to help Ronnie legally...or was it to get information?

Dan the Damned wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:08 pm
msmart112 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:09 pm
So why exactly did George and Kathy go to Weber? Was it to get Ronnie psychological/psychiatric help...was it to help Ronnie legally...or was it to get information?
I felt it was all 3.

But I also think that if I was in the Lutzes' situation, my main reason would be to get information. I would want to know if there was a history of bizarre incidents happening in that house. I would want to know if Ronnie ever mentioned anything happening, similar to what the Lutzes went through.

"Am I crazy? Have others experienced this sh*t?" That sort of thing.

jimmysmokes wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:58 pm
It was very nice of George to be so thoughtful of Ronnie wasting (rotting) away in jail for his crimes. Up until the point where Ronnie might get "paid" a percentage for his "info", does George cut him loose and hitch up with Tam Mossman & co, so he can profit off his stories.

Yes I can see the logic in that. :roll: Yeah, they got their info alright, then showed their true colors. At least we here can all agree on one issue. These forces of the house are good at using their subjects to create versions of stories over the years. :lol:

It reminds me of him having to "call it off" with Kaplan when he found out he was a vampirologist, whatever the hell that has to do with anything?

A question needs to be asked why a man with a newlywed wife & three kids would decide to move into (of all places) a home where a family was grizzly murdered a year before? A practicing occultist perhaps?

Brooke Forrester wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:46 pm
I never understood why the Lutz’s didn’t assume the haunting activity was the murder victims, why did they think it had to be something beyond that?

And I always felt like the book deliberately steered it away from being the DeFeo spirits to avoid hurting their family members. Better to blame long dead “witches” and Indians and demons...and more exciting too...

Wallace wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:41 pm
I made a mess of the last post. I meant to say that I didn't think that it was that big of a stretch that the Lutzs may have believed that Ronnie was influenced by the forces in the house and wanted to get him some help. At the same time I can say why they didn't necessarily believe that he should have profited off the lives he took. If what George Lutz claimed was true, I can certainly understand where he and Kathy were coming from, though I personally believe that Good Old Ronnie was a sociopath that killed his family for reasons that have nothing to do with the paranormal, so he deserves to rot that tin can he calls a cell. Though the Lutzs apparently believed otherwise at the time.

As for that part about Lutz calling off Kaplan's investigation because he discovered that he was a vampirologist that was one of many reasons that Lutz gave for calling it off. One of them being that he was mad at Kaplan for going to the press, when he specifically told him not to. He also didn't believe that Kaplan's credentials as a paranormal investigator added up, which led Lutz to believe that Kaplan was a hack. Considering that Kaplan would later show up to the house with a group of warlocks for an exorcism and would later claim to have done an investigation inside the house without being able to name any of the equipment that he used, I can see how someone would call his credentials into question.

As for the part about who would move their family into a house where a mass murder took place a year before, you have to understand that not everybody is particularly sensitive about these things. Believe it or not there are people who are perfectly fine living in a house where a series of murders took place.