Purposes and goals fo this website and board

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
Post Reply
oznickolaus
**New Account**
Posts: 1

Purposes and goals fo this website and board

Post by oznickolaus » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:04 am

The following posts were deleted from this thread due to an accident:




oznickolaus wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:08 am
Good morning everyone -

I'm new here. I've been intrigued by the events that occurred in Amityville since I was a kid and first saw the original film. I am honestly not certain where I stand on the DeFeo or the Lutz situations. I tend to go back and forth on both topics, not certain which arguments are what really happened. I guess that's what brought me to this website.

Having explored the different boards on here, I've been asking myself the same question over and over again: What is the purpose and goal of this website, and what is the "truth" referenced to in the name? What was the original intent of the site owners when they first published the page? To prove the haunting or to disprove it? Is it in support of Ronnie DeFeo or against?

I have been having a difficult time following many of the threads, due to the overwhelming amount of arguing, name calling and the metaphorical pissing matches that seem to go on between some users. This is totally a message board thing, I get that. Differences of opinion are pitted against each other and BOOM...

Is the goal to find the actual truth, supported by facts, or is it to argue personal truths and try to make a narrative fit scenarios that fuel personal likes and dislikes? For example, if you hate George Lutz, then he MUST be guilty of something sketchy. Are there facts to prove it? Well, there are rumors that must be factual because I don't like the cut of his jib.

All of this is typical of a message board, so I wasn't surprised. I follow several Jack the Ripper boards, and it gets CRAZY over there. But it leads me back to that original question: What truth are we discussing? Or more importantly, WHOSE truth?

I am certain a snarkfest is headed my way. But before it begins, please know I am not looking to start trouble. I legitimately want to know the intent of the board and what the common goal is here. No more. No less.

OK. Let the beatings begin...





Matt9290 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:55 pm
The Amityville case causes conflicting opinions and ideas (much like the Whitechapel murders). People have fixed ideas of what they believe to be true and this causes many to vent their frustration when contradicting opinions are put forward. I admit that my opinions have been changes on certain aspects of the haunting over the years due to reading some of the documented accounts... But when it comes to the murders, I've never changed my original conclusion that Defeo is guilty, and a compulsive liar, but that's just my opinion.
This is without a doubt the best site around when it comes to the Amityville - and the only people on here who resort to name calling are the ones who have closed minds (and trolls).
To get to the truth you must be willing to listen to opposing opinions and, if possible, but forward reasons why they are right or wrong without resorting to abuse. Unlike the Whitechapel murders, I do not think that there is a ''smoking gun'' out there that will give definitive evidence to prove that the haunting is genuine 100%. So it is really open to interpretation and hopefully a healthy debate.







sherbetbizarre wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:30 pm
oznickolaus wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:08 am
But it leads me back to that original question: What truth are we discussing? Or more importantly, WHOSE truth?
Initially it was the title of Christopher Lutzes first board. He started it in response to Ric Osuna back when he was writing his The Night The DeFeo's book (DeFeo had help in the murders, and the Lutzes were liars)

Since then there's always been one version of a "truth" board - usually against anything Osuna or Ryan Katzenbach have to say, and typically in favour of the Lutzes - but mainly to separate their story from the legend, and report what they say really happened.

However, anyone is welcome to disagree and have a viewpoint!








oznickolaus wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:41 pm
Thank you for your honest answers. Both helped answer some of my original question. And I truly appreciate that

As I said in my original post, I go back and forth with my opinions on the topic, especially the haunting aspects of it. I don’t think I’ve ever changed my views on the murders. I think Butch is guilty.

Hopefully the others here can help me form an opinion on the Lutz family and the “truth” behind their 28 days there

Thanks again!






Amit Y Ville wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:13 pm
The aim is for Amityville enthusiasts, whether that be if the murders, the hauntings, the movies, or books, come together to discuss.

But no one will know "the truth", since we're nearly 50 years after the events and most of those who experienced the haunting are deceased.






TC1 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:17 pm
I first found out about the Amityville Horror last summer, and joined here in February and already I've learned so much from this board alone, it is a very helpful and educational tool to newcomers to the case.






Dan the Damned wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:58 pm
oznickolaus wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:08 am
What is the purpose and goal of this website, and what is the "truth" referenced to in the name? What was the original intent of the site owners when they first published the page? To prove the haunting or to disprove it? Is it in support of Ronnie DeFeo or against?
I'm gonna add to what Sherb wrote, and I'm gonna try (and fail) to keep it short and to the point:

Ric Osuna used to believe in the haunting. And he became partners with George Lutz in various projects. Ric owned the domain "amityvillehorror.com". Not a big deal to George, apparently, since they were working together. But then in the summer of 2000, they had a huge falling-out, and Ric started calling the haunting a hoax.

When people challenged Ric about stuff (or dared to disagree with him) they got banned from his forum. This created a need for a more open-minded forum where people could discuss the issues without being banned for their opinions. And I believe this is why Chris first started his "Truth Board" forum. I think the full title was "The Truth About the Amityville Horror" (we call it the "Truth Board" for short, and referred to Osuna's board as "The Hoax Board").

When I came along in December of 2002, I subscribed to both boards. I made a couple of posts on Ric's board (disagreeing with some of the hoax evidence) and I made a couple of posts on the Truth board (disagreeing with some of the pro-haunting posts).

The two boards treated me so differently, even though I wasn't agreeing with the majority of their members.

I was promptly banned from the Hoax board, but the Truth board was far more open, explaining their position a little better and welcoming me with open arms.

And I'd like to think we carry on that tradition to this day. My view is that "The Truth" refers to us discussing the various events and shaving-away all the silliness and the myths and the inaccuracies until there is nothing left but the truth. Whether that truth leads us to "the haunting was real" or "the haunting was a hoax" or to something in-between.

To me, "The Truth" is not "our side versus them," but rather all of us discussing the matter and bringing evidence to the table to hopefully shed a little more light on what might have happened regarding the murders and the haunting. And maybe this is different than Chris' original intent, but that's okay.




Sorry, I got a little carried away there. So, going back to 2001 or so, the earlier incarnations of this board bounced around from one "free hosting site" to another (losing all of our posts with each change of providers). I think Chris only ran the first incarnation of the board. I wasn't around at the time (and Sherb can correct me), but I seem to remember hearing that various other people ran different incarnations of this board after it got shut down each time.

And why did it keep shutting down? Sometimes the "free hosting providers" would go out of business. Sometimes they would suddenly decide to charge us money because our board was "too popular." But the biggest problem (at least in my eyes) was when the provider would just go in and delete entire threads if a member made an official complaint.

In 2004, George Lutz finally wrangled control of the "amityvillehorror.com" domain from Ric and had his friend Tim Yancey build a proper Amityville Horror website there. He knew we were having troubles with our free forum provider at the time, so he offered to host our board on his site for free. We happily took him up on the offer, as it provided us with a stability we hadn't known as well as total control of everything.

This was when that 2005 remake of "The Amityville Horror" was getting a hell of a lot of attention. And that attention caused a LOT of traffic both to George's website and to this forum.

One of the problems we were having at that time was with so many new users signing-up every day, each one asking the most mundane, basic questions about the murders and the haunting. It was getting annoying. It was like we couldn't get anything done on the board -- we were just stuck in the mud, answering the same basic questions over and over and over.

So I created this website -- The Amityville FAQ -- simply to answer those basic questions that the new members were asking. My intent was that the new members could come here, to my FAQ website, leaving the forum less cluttered for the more advanced questions and issues (for example, I think it was around this time that we were finally nailing down the true identity of "the ghostie boy," but it was like we kept getting interrupted with "Did the murders really happen?" and "Were the Lutzes a real family?" and "Didn't the house burn down?"...

I think this FAQ site helped. I hope it did. Anyway, the hoopla from the movie eventually waned, and the forum slowly returned to normal.

Then George died in 2006.

It was my understanding that his surviving loved ones didn't want to carry on with his website. Tim Yancey stepped-up and offered to take over George's website and host it, himself. But he didn't want to host the forum. He didn't want anything to do with the forum. From what I remember, the forum was pretty rowdy back then, and I think this was why Tim wanted nothing to do with it (at least that's my recollection -- my memory is a bit fuzzy). So we moved the forum to this FAQ website and have been here ever since. I guess that makes this board the longest-running Amityville Horror board around. So many others have come and gone.

Speaking of which, George's website doesn't exist anymore, but I recreated a version of it here on this site. Yeah, I took a few liberties and added some new content, but it's basically what George's site looked like back then. You can view it on this site's Archive page, along with some partial archives of those old incarnations of the Truth Board, going back to 2001.

There. That's probably way more info then you ever wanted...









oznickolaus wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:15 am
Dan, I can't thank you enough. And please never apologize for a long, thorough explanation for something. In looking around the boards, I have read quite a few of your responses and posts about things, and while a may not always agree with your conclusions, I truly enjoy reading them. They are well thought out and, most importantly, informative.

BTW...who WAS the ghost boy in the famous hallway picture? I always guessed it was a crew member from the news team. Please feel free to PM me if this shouldn't be discussed here. I don't want to break any rules.

John







Amit Y Ville wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:40 am
There is a thread about it that is quite recent. Probably go there as we dont want to start a derail.



Dan the Damned wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:22 am
We don't know 100% who the person was, but we're pretty sure it was an assistant to the Warrens, by the name of Paul Bartz. All our evidence and discussion can be found in this other thread: The Ghostie Boy Photo Thread. If you have any questions about it, just post a reply in that thread.




jimmysmokes wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:57 am
Amit Y Ville wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:13 pm
The aim is for Amityville enthusiasts, whether that be if the murders, the hauntings, the movies, or books, come together to discuss.

But no one will know "the truth", since we're nearly 50 years after the events and most of those who experienced the haunting are deceased.
You forgot to mention the comedy. No one will no the truth huh? So you do admit that you just speculate and you don't know if it really happened? "But maybe I should listen to Dan"? :lol:

"Most of those who "experienced" the "haunting" are deceased". Umm, you just said no one will know the truth?
You just contradicted yourself!




Dan the Damned wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:18 am
He said "listen to Dan" because you would bring up the same points again and again and it seemed like you would never read my response.

But again, you use the phrase "listen to Dan" as if I am trying to make you believe in the haunting (when I have told you over and over that I'm not so sure that I totally believe in it, myself).




Brendan72 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:38 am
Welcome to the board.

The nature of truth is very subjective and open to interpretation, depending on who you ask, what they saw, and their preconceived notions going in to the matter in the first place. If you show someone an orange they will insist it is an apple because the person telling them might be lying. So I am at the point now where a person either believes or they don't - and after all if it is a theory and we are merely conjecturing nothing is etched in stone anyway.

People can get very passionate about topics and refuse to entertain the possibility of another opinion or set of ideas to the topic (any topic) at hand. I can imagine what the Whitechapel board would be like even though I am interested in that topic have never visited the boards discussing the matter. To be honest I don't think it is a priority for me either. The topic interests me as I said but engaging in some hardcore discussion giving rise to abuse is not my cup of tea.

Another subject that I have equal interest in is the JFK assassination. Will we ever learn what really happened with that and if so will it be believed? Again I don't engage in the boards covering this topic either for the same reason. I have my opinions on the subject which has not really changed for the better part of 30 plus years I have explored the topic - I do not buy the official narrative of the Warren Commission or the House Select Committee on Assassinations (which admitted there could be a conspiracy but stopped short of elaborating). I find it perplexing how to this day the media still peddle the lone gunman theory.

Amityville is a topic I have changed very little opinion with for the last 17 years or so. I think something happened to the Lutz's, but what the source of the haunting was is something I am not sure can be attributed to a singular thing. Laura Didio said something which I think describes what I think - that it was a confluence of events culminating in the haunting that occurred - the DeFeo murders, the house closed up for 13 months, some of the DeFeo furniture sold to the Lutz's from the estate; the priest doing the blessing; George and Kathy's transcendental meditation, and so on.

With that being said, again welcome!



Amit Y Ville wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:23 am
For sure. I believed it when I was 14-20 years of age. Then went through a stage of it being tosh and changing my mind over the next 15 years or so. Then when I learnt and even experienced supernatural phenomena myself in my thirties, I have to believe the Lutz's account.



jimmysmokes wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:43 pm
Dan the Damned wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:18 am
He said "listen to Dan" because you would bring up the same points again and again and it seemed like you would never read my response.

But again, you use the phrase "listen to Dan" as if I am trying to make you believe in the haunting (when I have told you over and over that I'm not so sure that I totally believe in it, myself).
I didn't start that phrase. Your buddy Amity Y Ville did. I just like bringing it up.

I spent much time going over your responses! You did make some interesting points and I learned a few things mind you.
Some of the points you claim that I brought up (again & again) are due to the simple fact that you seemed to beat around the bush on (so to speak)? In other words you were hesitant to simply give straight forward answers on issues you couldn't get around.

And I know you don't totally believe in it. That was obvious when we started talking. I got more coming on this but I'll make sure I put it on a different thread so our resident puppy dogs don't start their whining...

Post Reply