What were Ronnie's motives?

General Discussion About the 1974 DeFeo Murders and related topics
scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac
Posts: 1597

Re: question for case experts

Post by scipio-USMC » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:23 pm

I failed to mention something.

The money foudn in the house was $600 in an envelope under a rug. It was money tha tlikely no one knew about excepthte perosn who hid it there. In contrast the family knew about the metal lock box that was in the floor. The metal box was empty and the key was taped to the bottom. Whoever opened it last and cleaned it out wiped off their prints. Ron told polcie about this box so obviously knew of its location. He said if it is empty then someone robbed the house and he named a suspect who was supposedly aware of the box and would have done it. Police verified this person was in Massachusetts at the time in question though and he was ruled out.

The police suspected that Ron stole the money after the murder and thus that could have been his motive or that he stole it before the murders and his father confronted him over that or even caught him in the act. The fact he pointed it out and said the only way it would be empty is if someone stole the contents made them suspect Ron in fact did it since he was pointing it out so much and the box had been wiped down. If it was just an ordinary robber why take the time to not only wipe it down but put it back in the hole and tape on the key and cover it up? That would make no sense at most wipe off your prints and leave it there. Only someone who doesn't want you to noice the theft right away would take the effort.

User avatar
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul
Posts: 11565

Defeo Murder's Motive

Post by Dan the Damned » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:27 pm

The following posts were deleted from this thread due to an accident:




Jrs8 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:50 am
I now believe that Butch acted alone. I admit I was biased towards Ryan Katzenbach's documentary but the evidence points to Butch acting alone.

There's been confusion for year's as to what the real motive was for the murder's was. Was it really for his father's life insurance policy and family's estate? Was it because of all the years of abuse or was it drug related?


gd134 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:40 am
It was because of his father's abuse and the fact that he treated the younger kids better. Ronnie has pure hatred for his family, and nothing else. I recently read an article written by someone who spent time with Ronnie when he was in prison, and Ronnie admitted that if he had another chance, he would pull the trigger six times and kill them all again. Even Ryan Katzenbach now thinks Ronnie acted alone. So yeah, I don't think his true motive had anything to do with money.




msmart112 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:32 pm
gd134 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:40 am
It was because of his father's abuse and the fact that he treated the younger kids better.
So you're stating this as a FACT? :roll:

Other than what Ronnie has stated...why do believe that Mr. DeFeo's alleged abuse was the motive for the murders?

Just after the murders...neighbors described Mr. and Mrs. DeFeo as loving parents who would do anything for their children.

In 2008...Patrick O'Reilly was interviewed for a documentary. He actually knew the family (unlike you)...and this is what he had to say about Mr. DeFeo...



And for what it's worth...here's what Ronnie had to say about his father in 1994...



gd134 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:12 am
msmart112 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:32 pm

So you're stating this as a FACT? :roll:
Yes! It literally takes common sense! If it wasn't for his father's abuse and bad parenting, why the hell did Ronnie turn out to be such a psychopath in life?! It is clear that Ronnie had deep hatred for his father! I don't know what fantasy world you live in, but you need to understand that babies are not born as psychopaths or cold-blooded serial killers, common sense.
Other than what Ronnie has stated...why do believe that Mr. DeFeo's alleged abuse was the motive for the murders?
I don't even know why a person who has been on this damn forum for 15 years would ask this question. Have you not read the trial transcripts? There is plenty of people who knew and witnessed Ronnie Sr's abuse, such as the Gangitano's. What about John Donahu? Or Roger Nonnewitz? Are you gonna take them into account or ignore them?
Just after the murders...neighbors described Mr. and Mrs. DeFeo as loving parents who would do anything for their children.
What would you expect them to say? The entire family was just murdered, so why would they wanna say negative things about the parents? People would much rather show respect, since any abuse that happens within the family is personal information.
In 2008...Patrick O'Reilly was interviewed for a documentary. He actually knew the family (unlike you)...and this is what he had to say about Mr. DeFeo...
True, but he was only a kid, unlike the Gangitano's and Nonnewitz. His testimony is not strong enough to prove that Mr. Defeo wasn't abuse. Just because he never saw it doesn't mean it's not true. I have so far given you 3 testimonies about the alleged abuse and all you have shown me is Patrick O'Reilly, who may not even be credible.
And for what it's worth...here's what Ronnie had to say about his father in 1994...
I think what Ronnie is saying is that he never dared to fight his father back when he abused him usually.





According to a former inmate of Ronald Defeo, Ronnie said they deserved what they got and if he had the chance he'd pull that trigger six times over again. If his motive was some insurance money, I would expect Ronnie to show some remorse, at least for the kids. This proves that Ronnie had a deep hatred for his family. Here is the article: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/dpw5 ... 0435-v21n9


Michael9 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:34 pm
I agree, Ronald Jr always wanted more, more money, more drugs and he was not satisfied, the drugs made his psyche worse, but I think that while he was pulling the trigger, he was perfectly aware of what he was doing, she is simply a psychopathic person, he was probably also jealous of his brothers and sisters, but I cannot say if Ronald Sr was abusive, there is not enough evidence. however he has never felt remorse and will never try it, he would do it again. he sucks.


gd134 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:49 pm
Close friends of the Defoe family once witnessed Ronnie sr beat Ronnie at a wedding reception. His father’s abuse probably contributed to his drug use.


Michael9 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 3:00 pm
we should see if he was abusive only with Ronnie or also with Louise and the other children, if he only beat Ronnie, maybe there could be a reason, (drugs, insults ecc) obviously I think Big Ronnie was not a saint, they were Italian and I am too, many things that they say about the Italians about crime / Mafia is true (even if I have nothing to do with these things), some even say that Big Ronnie had killed someone.


Brendan72 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:12 pm
The more I look at it now the catalyst for the murders was the armed robbery of the car dealership's payroll that Butch was allegedly involved in and his failure to cooperate with police. Butch was into excessive use of hard drugs and although he got money from his father and he spent this money, the more he wanted. Which probably led to the alleged involvement in the robbery, to get more money. When you're dependent on hard drugs as Butch most likely was, you do things to keep the habit going. On the night of the murders, under influence of drugs which at a guess came strong paranoia and perhaps desperation, you also have firearms in to the mix.

Add to that he was most likely possessing a sense of entitlement not exhibited in the other DeFeo children. Butch was most like what is referred to as the 'bad seed' element in a family that could otherwise be normal and functional.


gd134 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:11 pm
I understand what you're saying, but I find it hard to believe that a simple robbery led to the murders. Why are you in such denial of Ronnie's hatred for his family members? What do you think sparked Ronnie's drug abuse, and wouldn't you say that it might be due to the abuse from someone? I've watched a lot of interviews of Ronnie, and I could certainly say that the murders were caused by a long series of events that built up the hatred in Ronnie, with the alleged robbery to top it all off of course. However, I do agree with everything else. I would only add his father's abuse as another reason for the murders. I have seen enough evidence that Ronnie sr occasionally abused his son, and the fact that he is willing to pull the trigger six times all over again with no remorse tells me that he had other motives aside from the money, such as hatred for his family.


Michael9 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:45 pm
unfortunately drug abuse is not always a consequence of mistreatment or physical abuse, even psychiatric problems can lead to drug abuse, in my life I have known people who have dealt with drugs or alcohol, even without having suffered any physical abuse, unfortunately we will never know the truth if Ronald Sr was truly abusive or not.


gd134 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:30 pm
That's true, and that is why I said that ronnie sr's abuse MIGHT HAVE been a cause. But either way, you can't deny the previously mentioned eyewitness accounts of the abuse.

Post Reply